PDA

View Full Version : Biggest surprises or Disappointments from week 6 FCS Action

BisonBacker
October 5th, 2008, 09:48 AM
So what or who were your biggest surprises or disappointments from week 6 play?

Have to say the App St. score surprised me. Thought that one might be a bit closer then that. Appy is making a statement that they still are the team to beat.

uofmman1122
October 5th, 2008, 09:52 AM
That we couldn't learn from 5 turnovers, and committed 4 against Weber. xnonono2x

I honestly didn't expect the Griz to lose that badly.

Biggest surprise had to be PSU hanging 600+ yards on EWU. I forget what the actual number was, but damn. xeekx

Maroon&White
October 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Appy is making a statement that they still are the team to beat.

Really, I thought JMU was making that statement?

Longhorn
October 5th, 2008, 10:19 AM

xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
October 5th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Biggest surprise for me was that UMass had all those turnovers, and still beat Delaware. The Delaware offense appears to be in the can...with the lid on.

Others...

- Elon's wide margin over Furman.
- Montana and Eastern Washington looking nothing like top 10 teams.
- Youngstown State sinking into oblivion.
- URI throttling Brown.

Drblankstare
October 5th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Im going with the Weber v Griz game. Doesnt shock me that Weber won, just in how much they won by.

Col Hogan
October 5th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Appy is making a statement that they still are the team to beat.
xrolleyesx

xthumbsupx

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 5th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Them, too. On paper, it's looking like an App. State - JMU national championship and all of the rest of us are playing for third. No team in the FCS looks as solid as these two punks do.

BisonBacker
October 5th, 2008, 01:06 PM

In the end I still think Appy will be the team to beat. Just my humble opinion. I guess we will see in the end.

SideLine Shooter
October 5th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Them, too. On paper, it's looking like an App. State - JMU national championship and all of the rest of us are playing for third. No team in the FCS looks as solid as these two punks do.

That would be a great game. xnodx xthumbsupx

Maroon&White
October 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM
In the end I still think Appy will be the team to beat. Just my humble opinion. I guess we will see in the end.

Based on what, JMU beating App? UMass also lost to JMU, should they also be considered a favorite? xrolleyesx

JMU is the clear favorite right now.

EDIT: Got UMass score wrong at first.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Until a 1AA beats them in the playoffs they are #1 IMO

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 5th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Until a 1AA beats them in the playoffs they are #1 IMO

....if they make the playoffs, that is.....xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

BisonBacker
October 5th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Based on what, JMU beating App? UMass also lost to JMU, only by 4 more points, should they also be considered a favorite? xrolleyesx

That is your opinion, I'm fine with that but I still say App is the team to beat IMO.

appstate38
October 5th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Based on what, JMU beating App? UMass also lost to JMU, should they also be considered a favorite? xrolleyesx

EDIT: Got UMass score wrong at first.

I'm sorry but did I miss something or are we still the defending champs. UMass got hammered and we lost by two. So based on that I would say he is still accurate.

Uncle Buck
October 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Biggest surprise for me, Elon running awat with it against Furman

Biggest disappointment, the fact that Hofstra never got off the bus for the JMU game and were flat out embarrassed.

JMU, at least IMO, is definitely the team to beat right now. They are fast, strong, and really looked like they are hitting on all cylinders. Put the bullseye square on their back, they're the rabbit that everyone is chasing.

Maroon&White
October 5th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I'm sorry but did I miss something or are we still the defending champs. UMass got hammered and we lost by two. So based on that I would say he is still accurate.

Apparently you did miss something. App lost to JMU. You lost.

And UMass got hammered, please. I guess App got blown out huh. xrolleyesx

th0m
October 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM

Yeah that defending champs title really helped us in 2005 when we missed the playoffs xlolx

neersnbeers
October 5th, 2008, 06:26 PM
GaSo beat us last year. What was their playoff results??

JohnStOnge
October 5th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Take it from a fan with painful memories that beating a team in the regular season doesn't mean beating the same team in the playoffs. From 2002:

Regular season: McNeese State 38, Western Kentucky 13.
From national title game: Western Kentucky 34, McNeese State 14

If JMU and App State meet in the playoffs and I'd have to bet I'd bet on App State just because I think the Mountaineers would have a psychological edge. Many of the players on their team have been through a run during which the Mountaineers won 8 straight playoff games. Some have been through 12 straight. I just think they have a lot more experience in that environment and a certain confidence and poise that comes with that.

And it's not exactly like JMU blew App away playing at home in a game they'd pointed to all off season. They won by 3 points in a game where App State had more first downs and gained more yards.

wkuhillhound
October 5th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Take it from a fan with painful memories that beating a team in the regular season doesn't mean beating the same team in the playoffs. From 2002:

That is one post I can agree with. xthumbsupx xbowx

T-Dog
October 5th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Let's just say that both JMU and App are both teams to beat. JMU is clearly #1 and App is clearly #2. Both are very dangerous and at this point on a collision course for the Choo Choo.

Of course, that'll mean we'll ride the Choo Choo twice this year as we travel to UTC next month. I'll take it though. :)

Maroon&White
October 5th, 2008, 07:18 PM

If JMU and App State meet in the playoffs and I'd have to bet I'd bet on App State just because I think the Mountaineers would have a psychological edge. Many of the players on their team have been through a run during which the Mountaineers won 8 straight playoff games. Some have been through 12 straight. I just think they have a lot more experience in that environment and a certain confidence and poise that comes with that.

And it's not exactly like JMU blew App away playing at home in a game they'd pointed to all off season. They won by 3 points in a game where App State had more first downs and gained more yards.

In that case, I guess UMass fans should be arguing they are the favorite to win the championship. Both lost to JMU, and according to you, playoff experience would make a difference in a rematch. These current UMass players have more playoff experience then JMU, and would have a "certain confidence and poise." Plus, UMass had more first downs and yards gained then JMU in the first meeting. More then even App did against JMU! Yea, now that I think about it, UMass should be the favorite to win it all. Not only would they win a rematch against JMU, they did better against JMU then App did, and would beat App because of it. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xcoffeex xcoffeex

19Duke97
October 5th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Sounds a lot like when JMU ran up the ToP, yards, etc and lost by 1 at App St last year, when we had the ball at their 9 with 22 secs left to play. Let's all agree that they are two very evenly matched football teams, and would prob split a 10 game series 5 -5. I'll say this - App St needs to watch out for the injury bug, and stay healthy if they want to beat JMU. JMU needs to take care of the ball (good so far this year), and everything will be fine.

DFW HOYA
October 5th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Biggest disappointment? Not playing. xsmhx

JohnStOnge
October 5th, 2008, 07:55 PM
In that case, I guess UMass fans should be arguing they are the favorite to win the championship. Both lost to JMU, and according to you, playoff experience would make a difference in a rematch. These current UMass players have more playoff experience then JMU, and would have a "certain confidence and poise." Plus, UMass had more first downs and yards gained then JMU in the first meeting. More then even App did against JMU! Yea, now that I think about it, UMass should be the favorite to win it all. Not only would they win a rematch against JMU, they did better against JMU then App did, and would beat App because of it. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xcoffeex xcoffeex

It wouldn't shock me at all if UMass beat JMU if the two teams happened to win in the playoffs. And I didn't even say that I think either App State or JMU is the team to beat. I'd reserve forming an opinion on that until more games are played.

All I said was that if I had to bet on who would win if App State and JMU meet in the playoffs, I'd bet on App State. I wouldn't be surprised at all if JMU won. But, given that they are reasonably evenly matched teams, if I had to put my money down I'd put it on the team with a substantial advantage in experience in that situation. Especially when all the players on one team have experienced in playoff games is winning. And that's the situation with App State. I just think the potential choke factor is going to be lower with them.

When rematches occur in the playoffs, reversals of regular season outcomes are not at all rare.

Maroon&White
October 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM
It wouldn't shock me at all if UMass beat JMU if the two teams happened to win in the playoffs. And I didn't even say that I think either App State or JMU is the team to beat. I'd reserve forming an opinion on that until more games are played.

All I said was that if I had to bet on who would win if App State and JMU meet in the playoffs, I'd bet on App State. I wouldn't be surprised at all if JMU won. But, given that they are reasonably evenly matched teams, if I had to put my money down I'd put it on the team with a substantial advantage in experience in that situation. Especially when all the players on one team have experienced in playoff games is winning. And that's the situation with App State. I just think the potential choke factor is going to be lower with them.

When rematches occur in the playoffs, reversals of regular season outcomes are not at all rare.

Fair enough xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
October 5th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Except when it comes to UMass & UNH..xcoffeex