PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Washington Vs. Montana

uofmman1122
October 5th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Well, here we are.

I, as well as most of you I assume, thought this would be the game to decide the BSC championship.

Well, Weber and PSU wouldn't have any of that. However, if EWU wins, Montana's reign as Big Sky Champ will come to an end this year, barring any crazy ***** happening (Yeah, like that's never happened before xrolleyesxxlolx).

Both teams do historically well at the other's home stadium, especially in the last few years. With both teams coming off fairly embarrassing losses, I think they'll get away from playing to impress or to keep their rankings, and we'll get a slugfest. The loser of this game has a lot to lose, not just in the rankings, but in the playoff hunt.

Montana loses, and the BSC Title is all but gone, and it will take no slipups the rest of the way in a very strong Big Sky Conference to make the playoffs and extend the streak.

EWU loses, and the playoffs are all but gone. Like the Griz they'll have zero margin for error in the rest of conference play.

Look forward to an amazing Western slugfest with both teams looking for a rebound and some revenge. Both Defenses are suspect, but the Montana squad shows that they're better than the last two weeks showed.

Montana - 28
Eastern Washington - 24

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 5th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Would like to be at this one

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Grizzaholic
October 5th, 2008, 09:13 AM
This is a game that I am going to be at.

catatac
October 5th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Hmmm... I'd have to say, we all know Eastern is extremely talented but has struggled in some games, at least Defensively. UM played great against Cal Poly in the first game of the year, but has basically gotten progressively worse from game to game.

Game's in Eastern, and I think the Eagles control this one.

47 to 31.

FargoBison
October 5th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Yep, it is definitely a must win for EWU. Should be an interesting game since their backs are completely against the wall while Montana will undoubtedly be looking to rebound after the Weber St game.

DuckDuckGriz
October 5th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I believe the only time Montana has had two straight league losses was 2002, other than that I think you'd have to go as far back as the early 90s. This will be a stiff test for them on the road, hopefully they will be working straight fundamentals this week in practice because the Griz have been bitten hard by the turnover bug the last two weeks. Credit Weber for taking full advantage.

bpcats
October 5th, 2008, 01:43 PM
This game is tough to call with the way both teams played yesterday. It sure would be a fun game to watch in person. I am going to go with UM with a 10 point win. EWU hasn't shown any defense since the conference games have started. UM may have to read up on what it means to blitz and try it. I can't for the life of me imagine the Griz losing two games in a row to start conference play. That won't happen.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 5th, 2008, 03:29 PM
It's only Sunday and this thread has been started.... I LOVE IT!!! xlolx

I have no clue what to expect as far as the final outcome... UM won't be pass happy like PSU and we can stop the run... somewhat. EWU will play lights out on offense, and this is the last chance for our D to finally show up in the first quarter... because if they don't, playoffs ARE gone.

I'm looking forward to meeting some fellow AGSers on Saturday. Should be a hell of a game. (I'm going to refrain from making a prediction until I hear coaches excuses for our defense in the interview).

CopperCat
October 5th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I'm going to take UM in this game, and obviously it will be by less than 7 points. I have this feeling that UM has more guts on defense to pull a better game together. I also think Bergquist is due for some late game heroics. I have changed my mind about him a bit, but he still isn't the savior everyone said he was in the preseason. The UM defense may be on it's heels a bit, but when you have guys like Colt Anderson on your side, one bad game usually doesn't lead to another. EWU gives me no reason to think that they won't pull a better defensive effort together, though I could be wrong come Saturday. I'll take UM by 4.

GrizRchattybound
October 5th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I hate to say this:

I think both teams defense are not very good at all...the Griz D may be better over all, but the pass defense is Sketchy at best.

Their offense is better than ours (scheme and execution) and will probably be the difference.

I would not be surprised for the Griz to go 1-3 in Oct if the last 3 weeks are any indication of things to come.

putter
October 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
After the Weber game I just dont see Montana being able to outgun teams.

GRIZ -- 27
EWU -- 38

DuckDuckGriz
October 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM
It's simple. Montana needs to work on special teams and simply holding on to the ball. While the defense didn't look too great - Weber only had to drive about 30 yards or less three or four times. If we can get that ***** taken care of I honestly think we will start to get better.

My take:

Montana 34
EWU 24

JALMOND
October 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I'm going to hold off on a prediction until my usual Wednesday list. That gives me enough time to thoroughly think it through. I will say this, I was looking forward to this game as I thought it would give me an opportunity to see a great team in action. No smack intended, but from what I saw, EWU has not even been the best team we've played yet. Take away the fumbled punt snap that the Eagles recovered on the one (and punched it in the next play), and this game would not have even been close.

My take so far, EWU needs to shore up the defense, or this game will be over in a hurry. For as good as Hubel looked against the Eagles, it is a stretch to say he is better than Berquist.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM
It's simple. Montana needs to work on special teams and simply holding on to the ball. While the defense didn't look too great - Weber only had to drive about 30 yards or less three or four times. If we can get that ***** taken care of I honestly think we will start to get better.

My take:

Montana 34
EWU 24

I don't think it's a matter of shooting it out with teams either as we didn't do a good job of making things tough on Weber. I did a quick look at the drives and I think the avg. they had to go for their points was something like 44 yds. We do a better job on that kind of stuff and we will be a better team for it. I think that is something that we can correct for the upcoming game or at least I hope we can.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 5th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I'm going to hold off on a prediction until my usual Wednesday list. That gives me enough time to thoroughly think it through. I will say this, I was looking forward to this game as I thought it would give me an opportunity to see a great team in action. No smack intended, but from what I saw, EWU has not even been the best team we've played yet. Take away the fumbled punt snap that the Eagles recovered on the one (and punched it in the next play), and this game would not have even been close.

My take so far, EWU needs to shore up the defense, or this game will be over in a hurry. For as good as Hubel looked against the Eagles, it is a stretch to say he is better than Berquist.

I like Berquist and think he brings a lot to the game but he does seem to have slipped back a little from the first couple of games this year as he seems to not be checking off as he has been doing. That also seemed to be a problem with him early in his career but had corrected for a time. I will say that it is probably due to the fact that he has been planted a lot lately and the clock in his head is running at a faster pace because of this. The pocket is collapsing on him too quickly and we may be better served doing more roll out things with him and getting some of the screen game working as far as timing.

alexale23
October 5th, 2008, 06:26 PM
GRIZ not gonna win

36-24

Wolfman
October 5th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Aaron Boyce, who begged Hauck to give him a scholarship to UM (Hauck said he didn't need another wide receiver), will shred the Griz again for 10+ catches, over 100 receiving yards, and 2 or 3 TDs.

Griz defense gives up 40+ for the second game in a row.

EWU 44

UM 27

DuckDuckGriz
October 5th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Aaron Boyce, who begged Hauck to give him a scholarship to UM (Hauck said he didn't need another wide receiver), will shred the Griz again for 10+ catches, over 100 receiving yards, and 2 or 3 TDs.

EWU 44

UM 27

If we win are you going to bitch and moan like you did after the Cal Poly, UC Davis, Southern Utah games or finally realize there is life outside of sitting online all day with your Hauck hard-on.

ASUG8
October 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Should be a great game - good luck to both with no injuriesxthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 5th, 2008, 07:48 PM
xblahblahx

In other news, the sky is actually found to be blue, instead of the purported shade of brown. xcoffeex

Wolfman
October 5th, 2008, 08:07 PM
If we win are you going to bitch and moan like you did after the Cal Poly, UC Davis, Southern Utah games or finally realize there is life outside of sitting online all day with your Hauck hard-on.

Actually, Hauck gives me a soft-on. But, we know that you get a woody thinking of him.....

Wolfman
October 5th, 2008, 08:09 PM
In other news, the sky is actually found to be blue, instead of the purported shade of brown. xcoffeex

The sky is blue. Griz sugar coaters' noses are brown, from sniffing UM coaches' round mounds.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 5th, 2008, 08:24 PM
The sky is blue. Griz sugar coaters' noses are brown, from sniffing UM coaches' round mounds.

There's only one way could know such detailed information like that Wolfie.

I take it you didn't like it?

GOKATS
October 5th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I'm giving the nod to the Eagles at home, to me both teams were over rated early (simply because of EWU going thru the coaching change- losing Wulff hurt). JMO

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 5th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I wish I could make it, but after catching 4 games this week, I think my wife would kill me xsmhx I think the Griz can win this game, it's just a matter of holding onto the football. Momentum really effects a game, and turnovers just don't help that much.

drpnut
October 6th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Here is my take:

It will be a great game. I believe if EWU wins they will lose at least one more confference game.

If Mont. wins they will lose at least one more conference game. While this is a big game it does not guarantee an easy road the rest of the way for the winner.

There is too much parity in today's world of college ball. Lurking around in the Big Sky is NAU and Weber, maybe when they play it will be for all the marbles, who knows.

Holla

Wolfman
October 6th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Here is my take:

It will be a great game. I believe if EWU wins they will lose at least one more confference game.

If Mont. wins they will lose at least one more conference game. While this is a big game it does not guarantee an easy road the rest of the way for the winner.

There is too much parity in today's world of college ball. Lurking around in the Big Sky is NAU and Weber, maybe when they play it will be for all the marbles, who knows.

Holla

Here's a little news flash for ya. Weber is the best team in the Big Sky. NAU may be the next best team. There are three teams which will fight it out for the conference championship this year. And, Montana is not one of them.

Grizo406
October 6th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I don't think any team in the BSC is going to beat Weber State this year. The Wilcats are playing the kind of football that the Griz used to play...a long time ago.

As far as the Griz vs the Eagles...this place just might be full of Griz fans Saturday night:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/208/476238749_a3bdcd72eb.jpg?v=0

I hope I'm wrong!!!

Thundering_Herd
October 6th, 2008, 08:31 PM
EWU 34 - UM 24

FargoBison
October 6th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Montana 41
EWU 31

Not a lot of defense in this game but the Griz pull it out.

Grizalltheway
October 6th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Here's a little news flash for ya. Weber is the best team in the Big Sky. NAU may be the next best team. There are three teams which will fight it out for the conference championship this year. And, Montana is not one of them.

Really? What happened to EWU being the best team, hands down? xrolleyesx

Wolfman
October 6th, 2008, 10:32 PM
They stepped on their hooter against PSU, obviously. Do you have eyes?

slostang
October 6th, 2008, 10:52 PM
They stepped on their hooter against PSU, obviously. Do you have eyes?

That is his point. Just a couple of weeks ago you were saying EWU was the best team in the Big Sky, hands down. He was pointing out that once again you were wrong. You have been wrong so many times this season I have lost count.xwhistlex

DuckDuckGriz
October 6th, 2008, 10:52 PM
That is his point. Just a couple of weeks ago you were saying EWU was the best team in the Big Sky, hands down. He was pointing out that once again you were wrong. You have been wrong so many times this season I have lost count.xwhistlex

Don't worry, he'll still try backpeddling more xlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM
If the Bobcats take care of business at home, I guarantee Wolfie will declare a new team "the best team in the 'Sky hands down."

slostang
October 6th, 2008, 11:03 PM
If the Bobcats take care of business at home, I guarantee Wolfie will declare a new team "the best team in the 'Sky hands down."
xlolx xnodx xlolx xnodx xlolx xnodx xlolx xnodx xlolx xnodx

Grizzaholic
October 7th, 2008, 12:55 AM

I wouldn't want to confuse facts but you wolfie said this not too long ago.

"The Pig Sty Conference is a joke. These posters are right on the money. Outside of Montana and Eastern (and occasionally MSU), the other teams are pathetic. This is the major reason that Hauck has 10 or more wins every year. It also helps explain why he can not win in the playoffs when he has to play real teams."

Screamin_Eagle174
October 7th, 2008, 01:55 AM
The EWU writeup: http://goeags.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100608aaa.html

GolfingGriz
October 7th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Who all will be there?

Screamin_Eagle174
October 7th, 2008, 02:33 AM
I will for sure! Probably painting up for the game as well! I'll be a drunk half naked red guy (hey, we used to be called the EWU savages, so why not!?)

Perhaps a little too far.

kalm
October 7th, 2008, 08:27 AM
PSU played almost a perfect game on Saturday - kudo's to them. But consider that two starting linebackers didn't suit up and we lost a starting corner in the 1st half. Had we been healthy I think we could have easily kept Hubel under 500 yards passing. ;) But despite all of EWU's mistakes, we were down only 8 and driving when Boyce coughed it up for our 4th turnover with 4 minutes left.

Our offense didn't play very well in this game either, but I expect both our defense and our offense to improve quickly, and if the defense remains suspect, we have the type of scheme and athletes on offense to win most shoot-outs.

I think the conference is vastly improved this year. While this is an apparent must win for both teams, we we're in a similar position last year after barely losing to the Griz, when we ran the table including blowout wins against Weber and NAU to make the playoffs. And just like last year, our defense was suspect early, but showed steady improvement as the year went on - we've lost only starters from that defense.

Weber still has to travel to Bozeman and Flagstaff, and NAU still has to come to Cheney and Missoula. Eastern finishes the season hosting NAU and @ Weber. I think there's a chance this conference could end up like 2005 with a two or three team tie for first at 6-2. That year, Eastern got the autobid by virtue of a tie-breaker, and the Cats and Griz received at-large bids.

Rumors of either team's demise might be a little premature.

uofmman1122
October 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I just checked because I wasn't sure, but if EWU doesn't win, they can still get 7 Div.-1 wins and be eligible, but they'd have to run the table in Conference afterwords.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 7th, 2008, 10:16 AM
IF EWU loses this weekend, it will be tough to see them make it. Even with 7 D-1 wins, they will have to contend with teams that have either more DI wins or better winning percentages (11 vs. 12 game schedules).

ncbears
October 7th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Where is the game being played?

GOKATS
October 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Where is the game being played?

At Eastern

BETCHGRIZ
October 7th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Except for barfman, this thread has some interesting comments and predictions, fun to read. I'll be at the game and will be betting on the Griz, but I won't be betting a bunch. Grtz 30, Eags 28.

EdubAlum
October 7th, 2008, 12:12 PM
is it too late to cancel my flight to spocompton? after last weeks game at PSU, i'm not sure i can handle another pounding.

DuckDuckGriz
October 7th, 2008, 12:17 PM
The Eags have a very good pass attack - and the Griz defense is obviously not the best candidate to defend it. I hope Eastern packs the house, this will be another classic matchup between UM and EWU.

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM
is it too late to cancel my flight to spocompton? after last weeks game at PSU, i'm not sure i can handle another pounding.

I don't think this one will be a pounding either way.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I just checked because I wasn't sure, but if EWU doesn't win, they can still get 7 Div.-1 wins and be eligible, but they'd have to run the table in Conference afterwords.

No we can't. We play 11 games... two FBS teams that we lost to, and a D-II. The only Div-I games we can win now are in conference. If we lose on Saturday and run the table the rest of the way, we'd be 6-2 in conference, and 7-4 overall.... but that 7th win is over D-II WWU. We will not get into the playoffs unless we get the autobid.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM
PSU played almost a perfect game on Saturday - kudo's to them. But consider that two starting linebackers didn't suit up and we lost a starting corner in the 1st half. Had we been healthy I think we could have easily kept Hubel under 500 yards passing. ;) But despite all of EWU's mistakes, we were down only 8 and driving when Boyce coughed it up for our 4th turnover with 4 minutes left.

Our offense didn't play very well in this game either, but I expect both our defense and our offense to improve quickly, and if the defense remains suspect, we have the type of scheme and athletes on offense to win most shoot-outs.

I think the conference is vastly improved this year. While this is an apparent must win for both teams, we we're in a similar position last year after barely losing to the Griz, when we ran the table including blowout wins against Weber and NAU to make the playoffs. And just like last year, our defense was suspect early, but showed steady improvement as the year went on - we've lost only starters from that defense.

Weber still has to travel to Bozeman and Flagstaff, and NAU still has to come to Cheney and Missoula. Eastern finishes the season hosting NAU and @ Weber. I think there's a chance this conference could end up like 2005 with a two or three team tie for first at 6-2. That year, Eastern got the autobid by virtue of a tie-breaker, and the Cats and Griz received at-large bids.

Rumors of either team's demise might be a little premature.

Great post. I agree with you on most points... but our defense needs to make some very serious adjustments if we're going to have a chance... we're dead last in both total defense and pass defense in all of FCS.

A positive and surprising note is that we rank 10th in rush defense, only allowing 77 yards a game... but that's probably because other teams know our weakness and rape us through the air. xlolx

It'll be interesting to see what coach Hauck's gameplan is for EWU... if he'll stick to the run to open up the pass, or just start bombing it through the air after seeing what PSU, ISU, and WWU did to us.

Should be a great game nonetheless. The guys on this team have a lot of heart and never give up. I think we're finally going to wakeup and take care of business.

EWU 42
Montana 34

Grizzaholic
October 7th, 2008, 04:25 PM
From the predictions on this site and EGRIZ about this game it seems as though the score is going to be some where in the neighborhood of 34-44. All that is needed is put the right team with the right score.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 7th, 2008, 04:32 PM
From the predictions on this site and EGRIZ about this game it seems as though the score is going to be some where in the neighborhood of 34-44. All that is needed is put the right team with the right score.

Sounds about right to me.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 8th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Is it Saturday yet?

xhypedx xprost2x

Grizzaholic
October 8th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Is it Saturday yet?

xhypedx xprost2x

In fantasy land it is.

proasu89
October 8th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Is it Saturday yet?

xhypedx xprost2x

The world needs more Saturdaysxthumbsupx

Grizzaholic
October 9th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I was just sitting here thinking about this weekend's game between UM and EWU, I gave up on that after about 10 seconds because it made my head hurt. But in that 10 or so seconds I thought, " what if both of these teams come in and play good defense and the final score is something low like 14-17 or 10-13?"

Is it just me or is the only way the final score gets that way is both teams have 6 TO's and a hundred yards in dirty laundry?

uofmman1122
October 10th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I was just sitting here thinking about this weekend's game between UM and EWU, I gave up on that after about 10 seconds because it made my head hurt. But in that 10 or so seconds I thought, " what if both of these teams come in and play good defense and the final score is something low like 14-17 or 10-13?"

Is it just me or is the only way the final score gets that way is both teams have 6 TO's and a hundred yards in dirty laundry?If Montana commits 6 TO's, I think I'll pull my hair out. After the last two weeks, there's no way UM commits more than 2 TOs. (At least that's what I would except)xrotatehx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 10th, 2008, 06:40 AM
If Montana commits 6 TO's, I think I'll pull my hair out. After the last two weeks, there's no way UM commits more than 2 TOs. (At least that's what I would except)xrotatehx

I don't think it'll be a matter of Montana committing the turnovers, but rather EWU forcing them! xthumbsupx :D

placidlakegriz
October 11th, 2008, 08:21 PM

EWU 44

UM 27

WHAT??? wolfboy couldn't possibly be wrong again???

How about that defense!

Grizzaholic
October 12th, 2008, 09:05 AM
WHAT??? wolfboy couldn't possibly be wrong again???

How about that defense!

It only happens once every 100 years.

Hellgate60
October 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Is it just me or is the only way the final score gets that way is both teams have 6 TO's and a hundred yards in dirty laundry?

Good call on the score

Grizaholic17
October 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Some pictures from the game. As always the entire endzones and visiting side was griz fans. It was an even split for fans I bet. If not the griz getting a bit of an edge. It was a great game. I loved every minute of it.

gbhmt
October 12th, 2008, 12:19 PM
it was more than an even split. the eagles side wasn't quite full, and every seat in the rest of the stadium was taken. i'd say there were definitely more griz fans.

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 12th, 2008, 02:00 PM
it was more than an even split. the eagles side wasn't quite full, and every seat in the rest of the stadium was taken. i'd say there were definitely more griz fans.

I would cry if I ever saw more visiting fans in Washington-Grizzly than Griz fans.

gbhmt
October 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
That would be a very, very sad day.

Grizaholic17
October 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I would cry if I ever saw more visiting fans in Washington-Grizzly than Griz fans.

I don't think that will be happening. Griz Nation is still strong. Saw many great griz fans there.

gbhmt
October 12th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I don't think that will be happening. Griz Nation is still strong. Saw many great griz fans there.

Yeah I don't think that could ever happen.

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah pretty doubtful, its amazing to think that a visiting team could ever have more fans than a home team, probably doesn't happen too often. It really shows how strong griz nation is.

Grizzaholic
October 13th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I just about died laughing when the Montana - Grizzlies chant started and one could hear it on the TV.

Grizzaholic
October 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Good call on the score

So it wasn't just a pipe dream.

uofmman1122
October 13th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I just about died laughing when the Montana - Grizzlies chant started and one could hear it on the TV.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

gbhmt
October 13th, 2008, 10:14 AM
That was awesome. Gave me chills that did.

CopperCat
October 13th, 2008, 10:55 AM
The high school stadium in the town I live in is twice the size of EWU's. Sad times.:(

Even more sad is that UM purportedly had more fans at that game than EWU did. Double sad.:( :(

Grizalltheway
October 13th, 2008, 11:08 AM
The high school stadium in the town I live in is twice the size of EWU's. Sad times.:(

Even more sad is that UM purportedly had more fans at that game than EWU did. Double sad.:( :(

I was there, and I'd say it was pretty close to 50/50, with maybe a slight advantage to UM. When you think about how (relatively) close Cheney is to Missoula, and how many alums live in the Spokane area, it's not a huge surprise.

But yeah, their stadium sucks big time. :D

grizband
October 13th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I was there, and I'd say it was pretty close to 50/50, with maybe a slight advantage to UM. When you think about how (relatively) close Cheney is to Missoula, and how many alums live in the Spokane area, it's not a huge surprise.

But yeah, their stadium sucks big time. :D
This game should be moved back to Joe Albi Stadium, the high school stadium in Spokane. I remember a couple games there when Montana easily had a 60/40 advantage in attendance.

Grizzaholic
October 13th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Been pretty close the last few times the Griz played at EWU.