PDA

View Full Version : SoCon predictions, October 11th

catamount man
October 5th, 2008, 07:36 AM
My picks are in BOLD.

Western Carolina at FURMAN (we finish either 2-10 or 3-9xsmhx )
Elon at THE CITADEL (Bellhops bounce back)
UTC at WOFFORD (Terriers just too much for Mocs)
APPS at Samford (Samford is no pushover, but Armanti too much)

GO CATAMOUNTS!!! (patiently, I wait.)

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 5th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Furman 27
Western Carolina 7

Wofford 38
UTC 14

Appalachian State 35
Samford 14

GSU 24
Scout team attempting to run App's offense 21

Game of the Week: Elon @ The Citadel
Interesting matchup. Elon seems to be on a roll and their running game has established confidence against a good Furman defense. In Charleston I'd take The Cid by 10 but I think Elon comes focused and gets the job done.
Elon 31
The Citadel 24

Reign of Terrier
October 5th, 2008, 08:37 AM
My picks are in BOLD.

Furman bounces back
Elon flexes muscles
Wofford has its best game of the year against UTC
APP beats Samford and probably knocks off their chances of Conference championship early sparing us from Samford being the pain in the butt team of the year.

Death Dealer
October 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Furman- It's homecoming and it's western.

Wofford- easy win

Appy- No way Samford even keeps this close

Elon- Granted we played sloppy, undisciplined football yesterday, but if the pheonix show up like they did yesterday, they win by two scores at least.

Biff
October 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM
My picks are in BOLD.

I hope you're right. I said all last week, we have to beat 2 of our next three to stay in the hunt for a SoCon title (probably all but a pipe dream at this point). After losing to App and with Elon and Furman left in those three games, I see must wins for us in the next couple weeks (and of course the tradition of SoCon teams beating up on each other) to stay in the hunt.

I agree with the rest of your picks. Hopefully The Citadel will maintain its dominance over Elon.

beauvighn
October 5th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I think this will be blow out Saturday in the SoCon.
Furman will unleash on WCU
Wofford gets behind early as usual at home and then runs away from UTC.
Appy will let samford hang around for the first quarter and then show them that WCU is not the measuring stick in the SoCon.
And finally, Elon will beat Le Sheetadel in a game that will probably end sometime on Monday afternoon.

Edge316007
October 5th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Furman wins pretty easily.

The Citadel will keep it close for most of the game, surprising a few. They need this bounce back win badly. They lose a heartbreaker in OT to Elon

DeAndre is in after halftime as Appalachian rolls.

Wofford also wins big.

Aside from the Elon game, this could be blowout Saturday as stated above.

RazorEdge19
October 5th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Western Carolina at Furman

Both teams lost last week to teams many people thought they would be able to win. WCU's loss to Samford shows they are further away then many thought. Furman got throttled by Elon, which was the biggest surprise last week. If there is no hangover from the Elon game, Furman should have a good day. If there is, WCU could potentially keep it closer, whether they win or not depends on Furman's mistakes.

Elon at The Citadel

This is the game that could throw the battle for the SoCon title into a fray, if The Citadel wins. El Cid had a rough showing at the Rock, getting down five scores very early in the game. They came back and made the score respectable. Elon made a statement at home against Furman. Now they go on the road to one of the more difficult places to play. El Cid can keep the game close, and they will have an opportunity to win it in the end. Whether or not they do will depend on Elon's ability to execute in a hostile environment.

Chattanooga at Wofford

Chattanooga got blasted by GSU at home, and Wofford should have blasted GSU at their place, so you'd think it'd be ugly. However, Chattanooga runs an offense that could give Wofford some trouble. Unfortunately for Chat, Wofford runs an offense that will give them trouble. Meanwhile, Wofford is coming off a bye, so expect them to follow the GSU performance with an attempt to get ahead big early and try to keep it that way. If Chatt can whittle away at the lead, it could get interesting.

App at Samford

If you would've asked me before the season, I would've told you this game didn't have a chance of being close. But Samford has proven this season that they are no pushover in the SoCon...so far. However, this week they meet the true measuring stick. Samford will be jacked for this game, especially coming off their first win. If Samford's offense can do what it did vs. Elon, we may be doing this xeekx xeekx by day's end when we see the final score.

ElonPride
October 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Whether or not they do will depend on Elon's ability to execute in a hostile environment.

The team was able to excute very well in what is considered to be one, if not THE, hardest places to play in the conference (GSU).

I hate the fact that Samford coming in meant Elon had to play 2 years in a row at El Cid........

Reign of Terrier
October 5th, 2008, 03:18 PM
If App, Elon, and Wofford win this week we'll have an idea of how this year will go and it won't be like last year. It would basically kick off Samford and The Citadel from playoff hopes. GSU and FU might still have a chance. 2 of 9 teams have been eliminated from playoff conversation. In three weeks we'll know better having: Wofford vs Elon
The Citadel vs FU
Elon vs Citadel
Furman vs App
GSU vs APP
the Citadel vs Elon
All Samford games should be at least observed

The Cats
October 5th, 2008, 11:53 PM
App at Samford

If you would've asked me before the season, I would've told you this game didn't have a chance of being close. But Samford has proven this season that they are no pushover in the SoCon...so far. However, this week they meet the true measuring stick. Samford will be jacked for this game, especially coming off their first win. If Samford's offense can do what it did vs. Elon, we may be doing this xeekx xeekx by day's end when we see the final score.

Certainly not predicting a Samford win here, but, something that really surprised me about the Samford offensive line. According to radio announcers for the WCU/Samford game - the Samford offensive line was the largerst overall OL Western had "EVER" faced (don't know if that is in fact the case.... but that OL is large).....

LT -6-6 308 lbs
LG 6-7 312 lbs
C - 6-4 306 lbs
RG 6-6 330 lbs
RT 6-4 315 lbs

appfan2008
October 6th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Furman
The Citadel
Wofford
APP
Bye over GSU

appstate38
October 6th, 2008, 07:47 AM
My Picks:

Furman over WCU 24-14
Elon over The Citadel 38-20
Wofford over UTC 40-10
ASU over Samford 35-17

gofurman
October 6th, 2008, 07:52 AM
My Picks:

Furman over WCU 24-14
Elon over The Citadel 38-20
Wofford over UTC 40-10
ASU over Samford 35-17

I predict FU by more than 10

drpnut
October 6th, 2008, 08:00 AM
My take:

APPy over a scrappy bunch of bulldogs from B'ham 34-24
ElCid over Elon 28-24. (ElCid gets it on track and squeeks one)
Furple hangs one on wCU, but it is closer than it should be, 35-21
Woffy finally puts together a complete game and hammers the Mocs, 48-14

elon77
October 6th, 2008, 08:56 AM
My take:

APPy over a scrappy bunch of bulldogs from B'ham 34-24
ElCid over Elon 28-24. (ElCid gets it on track and squeeks one)
Furple hangs one on wCU, but it is closer than it should be, 35-21
Woffy finally puts together a complete game and hammers the Mocs, 48-14

Did you also pick Elon to loose last week? If you did you might be wrong two weeks in a row.xnodx

B&G
October 6th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Furman 38
Western Carolina 13

Wofford 44
UTC 10

Appalachian State 48
Samford 21
... Either App pulls away early and lets up in the 2nd half or it's tight at halftime before App pulls away.

Citadel 28
Elon 27
... I'm banking on Citadel playing strong in front of the home crowd and the Pass D tightening up thanks to the pass rush getting some pressure on Riddle.

Black and Gold Express
October 6th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Furman big over Western. Western is a long way away from being competetive.

Elon over Citadel. Citadel may have some hangover, and Eon is proving to be no slouch.

Wofford steamrolls UTC. There are three really bad teams in the SoCon this year and UTC is one of them.

ASU over Samford by 21+. The only way this one is close is if ASU looks ahead. With a young team it might happen for a half.

Biff
October 6th, 2008, 09:28 AM
The team was able to excute very well in what is considered to be one, if not THE, hardest places to play in the conference (GSU).

I hate the fact that Samford coming in meant Elon had to play 2 years in a row at El Cid........

I can't agree more. I was looking forward to going to Elon this year. I will be up next year. I'm going to try and drag one of my co-workers along this year. He got his BS and MS from Elon in '03.

BUT, considering we already had App, Wofford, and Furple on the road, having you guys at home is nice from my point of view.

ElonFirefighter
October 6th, 2008, 09:39 AM
well i will be making the trip down this year. Should be an interesting game. Hope the weather is as nice next weekend as it was sat, and i hope my sunburn goes away

PhoenixPhan06
October 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Furman (4-2) (1-1) @ WCU (2-4) (0-2): The skid continues in Collowee as Furman takes out a little frustration from last weeks loss at Elon.
Furman 38 WCU 17

Wofford (3-1) (1-0) @ UTC (1-5) (0-2): Home field advantage? Not quite
Wofford 45 UTC 13

Samford (3-2) (1-1) @ ASU (3-2) (1-0): The welcome tour continues and the Mountaineers are gracious hosts. Then the game starts. The Bulldogs show they're no pushover, but ASU stays undefeated in SoCon play
ASU 31 Sam 17

Game of the Week

Elon (5-1) (3-0) @ The Citadel (3-2) (1-1): I'm sure the AGS threads will be burning all week on this one. The Bulldogs title hopes took a big shot on the chin last week @ ASU and they are left to figure out the mess in order to right the ship this week in practice. "Practice?! We're talking about practice here?!" However, all the reps in practice won't be enough to slow down Elon's momentum. The Elon defense and special teams will do enough to give the Phoenix the win in a high scoring affair. Watch out for big plays from Roberts and Hudgins in this one!

Elon 37 CIT 24

elcid96
October 6th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Furman (4-2) (1-1) @ WCU (2-4) (0-2): The skid continues in Collowee as Furman takes out a little frustration from last weeks loss at Elon.
Furman 38 WCU 17

Wofford (3-1) (1-0) @ UTC (1-5) (0-2): Home field advantage? Not quite
Wofford 45 UTC 13

Samford (3-2) (1-1) @ ASU (3-2) (1-0): The welcome tour continues and the Mountaineers are gracious hosts. Then the game starts. The Bulldogs show they're no pushover, but ASU stays undefeated in SoCon play
ASU 31 Sam 17

Game of the Week

Elon (5-1) (3-0) @ The Citadel (3-2) (1-1): I'm sure the AGS threads will be burning all week on this one. The Bulldogs title hopes took a big shot on the chin last week @ ASU and they are left to figure out the mess in order to right the ship this week in practice. "Practice?! We're talking about practice here?!" However, all the reps in practice won't be enough to slow down Elon's momentum. The Elon defense and special teams will do enough to give the Phoenix the win in a high scoring affair. Watch out for big plays from Roberts and Hudgins in this one!

Elon 37 CIT 24

Lets get real here. The Citadel has been home against Elon for two games already and won both. They will rebound, will win, and will be back in the hunt. We would have lost to APP regardless, but without a ton of mistakes by our players last week, it could have been a game. xrulesx

Eaglesrus
October 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Lets get real here. The Citadel has been home against Elon for two games already and won both. They will rebound, will win, and will be back in the hunt. We would have lost to APP regardless, but without a ton of mistakes by our players last week, it could have been a game. xrulesx

As a GSU fan who has seen many people ask what history has to do with the current season, I'm pleased to get the opportunity to direct that question to someone else. "Let's get real here"? Have you seen Elon play this year?

94Terrier
October 6th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Blowout week in the SoCon

Western Carolina at FURMAN (Purple Flurples by a landslide)
UTC at WOFFORD (Dogs by a ton)
APPS at Samford (Appy by a bunch)
ELon at the Citadel (Elon in a close one, therefore trying to keep their title hopes alive)

PhoenixPhan06
October 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM
As a GSU fan who has seen many people ask what history has to do with the current season, I'm pleased to get the opportunity to direct that question to someone else. "Let's get real here"? Have you seen Elon play this year?

xsmileyclapx

lizrdgizrd
October 6th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Furman
Elon
Wofford
App

I predict this list will also be the list of teams with a shot at the conference title in the last two weeks of the season.

elon77
October 6th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Blowout week in the SoCon

Western Carolina at FURMAN (Purple Flurples by a landslide)
UTC at WOFFORD (Dogs by a ton)
APPS at Samford (Appy by a bunch)
ELon at the Citadel (Elon in a close one, therefore trying to keep their title hopes alive)

Wait, am I missing something here. Trying to keep their title hopes alive? Even if they loose, ???????, are you saying that with 1 loss they would be done? I don't think so.xlolx

AsuBucETSU34
October 6th, 2008, 09:55 PM
WCU at Furman - Furman way to much for the cats...
(42-14 Furman)
UTC At Wofford- Wofford will win this one but dont count out UTC
(24-14 Wofford)
Elon at The Citadel- Citadel comeing off a loss they beat the phoniex at home
(28-21 The Citadel)

App @ Samford - App will destroy the dogs...
( 52-14 App state)

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Furman's tough early season schedule caught up to them. They've had a couple games now in a row that were ugly and were lucky to win two of them. Furman will handle WCU fairly easily.

Wofford will work a bit harder to beat UTC than they would like, but the Terriers will win by 20.

The Citadel got clobbered by the only quality FCS team they've played. I expect the Phoenix to win by two touchdowns.

Samford comes off a big win, but this might be the best visiting team to play in Birmingham in a long time.

phoenixphanatic21
October 6th, 2008, 11:09 PM

You sir are my new hero. xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xbowx xbowx xbowx

I too am upset that we have to go to the Citadel two years in a row thanks to Samford, but that means we get to host you for my senior year. That's pretty cool. I just hope we can stay on the this hot streak we've been on.

As for game predictions:
Furman to destroy WCU
Wofford to beat UTC
App will beat Samford. This game will be close at halftime and then App will pull away in the second half.
And most importantly, Elon will be beat the Citadel by 7. Brandon Newsome and AJ Harris will combine for over 100 yards rushing and Hudgins and Roberts will put on a show.

furpal87
October 6th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Furman to bounce back big 48-14
Samford to be Apps opponent Saturday (you think I'm nuts? 48-24 App
Wofford over Chatt 40-20
Elon, I really was impressed with them last Saturday. 34-24 over bellhops.

KiddBrewer
October 6th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Blowouts abound.....

Except for El Cid and Elon.......think that one comes down to who's passing better.

CID1990
October 7th, 2008, 07:04 AM
If The Citadel team that showed up in the second half against ASu shows up to play this Saturday, Elon is going home with a loss. If the El Cid team of the first half this past Saturday shows up, then it's an Elon win.

Historically we tend to bounce back well at home. I would not want to be the team traveling to JHS this weekend.

whoanellie
October 7th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Certainly not predicting a Samford win here, but, something that really surprised me about the Samford offensive line. According to radio announcers for the WCU/Samford game - the Samford offensive line was the largerst overall OL Western had "EVER" faced (don't know if that is in fact the case.... but that OL is large).....

LT -6-6 308 lbs
LG 6-7 312 lbs
C - 6-4 306 lbs
RG 6-6 330 lbs
RT 6-4 315 lbs

i agree .... having viewed them a week earlier, that OL dwarfed our DL ..... i was glad our big uglies blocked well and executed better. 91 yd TD on a screen against a defense schemed to stop it! "football is blocking and tackling" Vince Somebody xsmiley_wix

94Terrier
October 7th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Wait, am I missing something here. Trying to keep their title hopes alive? Even if they loose, ???????, are you saying that with 1 loss they would be done? I don't think so.xlolx
Well, a loss to El Cid, then a loss to Wofford, then a loss to Appy, then you sit home in November and December....

PhoenixPhan06
October 7th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Well, a loss to El Cid, then a loss to Wofford, then a loss to Appy, then you sit home in November and December....

One week at a time big fella, one week at a time.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 7th, 2008, 03:29 PM
GSU will take BYE into double overtime and lose another heartbreaking game at home.xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

ASUG8
October 7th, 2008, 03:41 PM
GSU will take BYE into double overtime and lose another heartbreaking game at home.xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Give yourself some credit. You'll take BYE down in regulation..:D

LarryBoy
October 7th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Furman over Western: With Furman's string of Western-throttling, and Homecoming on top of that, it would be easy to say that Furman wins by 30-40. I don't see that happening, and Paladin fans will be nervous heading into next week's matchup with the Bellhops.

ASU over Samford: Playing on the road against an unfamiliar foe, App wins this one by "only" three scores. I've been impressed with Samford, though.

Wofford over Chattanooga: My only experience with the Mocs so far was seeing them get hosed by a lethargic (at best) Paladin squad. Still, Wofford always plays its fair share of head-scratchers, and the Terriers win this one with a strong 4th quarter.

Elon over The Citadel: I'm really, really pulling for the Bellhops (and loathe myself for doing so), but Elon can run the ball, and that's trouble for everyone. However, Elon's secondary was not exactly stellar last week (lots of wide open Furman receivers...many, however, did not commit to catching the passes thrown to them) and El Cid will put up some points to keep it close.

T-Dog
October 7th, 2008, 06:34 PM

And you think your going to beat us the next week with that attitude? xnonox

GATA
October 7th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Furman over Western: With Furman's string of Western-throttling, and Homecoming on top of that, it would be easy to say that Furman wins by 30-40. I don't see that happening, and Paladin fans will be nervous heading into next week's matchup with the Bellhops.

ASU over Samford: Playing on the road against an unfamiliar foe, App wins this one by "only" three scores. I've been impressed with Samford, though.

Wofford over Chattanooga: My only experience with the Mocs so far was seeing them get hosed by a lethargic (at best) Paladin squad. Still, Wofford always plays its fair share of head-scratchers, and the Terriers win this one with a strong 4th quarter.

Elon over The Citadel: I'm really, really pulling for the Bellhops (and loathe myself for doing so), but Elon can run the ball, and that's trouble for everyone. However, Elon's secondary was not exactly stellar last week (lots of wide open Furman receivers...many, however, did not commit to catching the passes thrown to them) and El Cid will put up some points to keep it close.

Furman v. Western Carolina - I'm gonna go with Furman by 21. They bounce back from the tough one against Elon.

App. State v. Samford - I'm not picking against App. State. I say the final score is something like 38-7

Wofford v. Chatty - UPSET ALERT Chattanooga pulls off a shocker and wins 28-27 (after Wofford misses an extra point).

Elon v. Citadel - Elon goes down and the Citadel saves face after a poor performance against App State. 21-17

Reign of Terrier
October 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Wofford v. Chatty - UPSET ALERT Chattanooga pulls off a shocker and wins 28-27 (after Wofford misses an extra point).

You know even Chatty fans are saying we'll blow them out, right?xwhistlex

RazorEdge19
October 7th, 2008, 07:10 PM

That's such a bad call its almost not even funny...

ElonFirefighter
October 8th, 2008, 04:19 PM
UTC over wofford....
I didnt know it was April

The Cats
October 11th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hope you all keep your day jobs........ xcoffeex

beauvighn Furman will unleash on WCU

Edge316007 Furman wins pretty easily

gofurman I predict FU by more than 10

drpnut Furple hangs one on wCU, but it is closer than it should be, 35-21

B&G Furman 38 Western Carolina 13

Black and Gold Express Furman big over Western. Western is a long way away from being competetive.

94Terrier Western Carolina at FURMAN (Purple Flurples by a landslide)

AsuBucETSU34 WCU at Furman - Furman way to much for the cats... (42-14 Furman)

PaladinFan Furman will handle WCU fairly easily.

furpal87 Furman to bounce back big 48-14

KiddBrewer Blowouts abound.....

GATA Furman v. Western Carolina - I'm gonna go with Furman by 21.

And we can always count on our ELoan friends to "pile on"....

phoenixphanatic21 Furman to destroy WCU

PhoenixPhan06 The skid continues in Collowee as Furman takes out a little frustration from last weeks loss at Elon. Furman 38 WCU 17

millwoga1
October 11th, 2008, 10:34 PM
If you like moral victories go ahead man

The Cats
October 11th, 2008, 10:41 PM
If you like moral victories go ahead man

Well, the moral victories come first..... but, I prefer the kind where we win in Sparkle City. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

Unlike the past several years.... THIS Catamount team will come to Gibbs Stadium expecting to win. They may come away disappointed, or it may be another "moral" victory... BUT this coming weekend just may be the Cat's date with destiny.....