PDA

View Full Version : Horsecollar Rule Definition Needed

ngineer
October 4th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Lehigh appeared to get screwed by an interpretation of the new horsecollar rule today. I am looking for some clarification. The play at issue was a Lehigh defender grabbing the Cornell player from behind with his hand grabbing the Cornell jersey at the numbers. He pulled him backward to the ground. In no way were the defender's hands even near the collar, but on the runner's back. Coen was going nuts on the sideline. The penalty gave Cornell a first and goal inside the LU 10, as opposed to Cornell facing 3rd and forever around the 35. Anyone have the language/interpretation of the rule?

bison137
October 5th, 2008, 12:24 AM
The rule says:

"All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the
shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder
pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the runner down. This does not
apply to a runner who is inside the tackle box or to a quarterback who is
in the pocket."

If it happened as you described, then the referees were clearly wrong. It should be easy to determine when they look at the film.

Big Dawg
October 5th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Well when FAMU played TSU last weekend, it seemed as if the officials totally ignored the horsecollar rule.

ngineer
October 5th, 2008, 10:37 PM
The rule says:

"All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the
shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder
pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the runner down. This does not
apply to a runner who is inside the tackle box or to a quarterback who is
in the pocket."

If it happened as you described, then the referees were clearly wrong. It should be easy to determine when they look at the film.

Thanks. It's what I thought. It appeared to everyone around us, as well as the Lehigh staff, that the runner's jersey was grabbed at the numbers on the back...What's done is done. I hope Coen reports this one to the officials review.