PDA

View Full Version : Montana State is a top 25 team!

uofmman1122
October 4th, 2008, 09:41 PM
You guys aren't hiding from anyone anymore. xlolx:p

saccat
October 4th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I told you to not tell anyone..;)

CopperCat
October 4th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Screamineagle doesn't think so. Apparently KSU proved that.xrolleyesx xcoffeex

uofmman1122
October 4th, 2008, 09:49 PM
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/Marty_Grant1122/300px-Bookgroverbaddream.jpg

Wake up the sleepers!!

No way this team quietly crashes the BSC this year!!

bpcats
October 4th, 2008, 10:02 PM
MSU should get some votes this week. However I would just be estactic if we got healthy for the Weber game or it won't matter anyway. During parts of the game we were down our entire starting defensive line and sent two starting corners to the sidelines for injuries or the flu (Lewis and Nicol). We may have lost our star defensive end (on crutches) for the season.

This is what happened last year. When healthy we are tough to beat, but we can't seem to catch any breaks. If MSU is to make waves this year we need our defensive starters to remain healthy as it is the strength of our team.

Poly Pigskin
October 4th, 2008, 10:14 PM
They were just outside my top 25 last week, they'll definitely be in there this week.

bpcats
October 4th, 2008, 10:36 PM
On another message board, someone talked to Dane's parents and it appears he may have a high ankle sprain.

Thankfully the Weber game is at home this coming weekend. They ran over Montana and with our beat up dline it does not look like a good combo.

GOKATS
October 4th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I had the Cats #23 last week. May move them, but have way to many games to catch up on before I vote. Injuries right now do concern me.

blackfordpu
October 4th, 2008, 11:16 PM
They were in my poll last week.

mvemjsunpx
October 5th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Montana State is a top 25 team!

For what? Beating the worst team in the Big Sky?

CopperCat
October 5th, 2008, 10:50 AM
For what? Beating the worst team in the Big Sky?

Looks like somebody has a little of that bitter taste left in their mouth after yesterday.

mvemjsunpx
October 5th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Looks like somebody has a little of that bitter taste left in their mouth after yesterday.

I was being serious. What has Montana State done that warrants any top 25 consideration other than a fairly competitive loss to Minnesota? The Bobcats' talent is decent, but certainly not the best in the Big Sky. They look like an above average team, but not a conference or playoff contender.

If they beat Weber they certainly deserve top 25 consideration, but that probably won't happen.

CatFan22
October 5th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I was being serious. What has Montana State done that warrants any top 25 consideration other than a fairly competitive loss to Minnesota? The Bobcats' talent is decent, but certainly not the best in the Big Sky. They look like an above average team, but not a conference or playoff contender.

If they beat Weber they certainly deserve top 25 consideration, but that probably won't happen.

Leading up to the USD game everyone was saying how good of a win that would have been. We beat them down, but it was chalked up to the "fact" they are just not as good as advertised. We are beating the teams we should beat, we played Minnesota well (as you mentioned), and we are 1-0 in the conference. Leave EWU out of your top 25 poll if that's the logic you are going to use.

mvemjsunpx
October 5th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Leading up to the USD game everyone was saying how good of a win that would have been. We beat them down, but it was chalked up to the "fact" they are just not as good as advertised. We are beating the teams we should beat, we played Minnesota well (as you mentioned), and we are 1-0 in the conference. Leave EWU out of your top 25 poll if that's the logic you are going to use.

I think you're misinterpreting my logic. Montana State was not a top 25 team coming into the season (in my mind & in most others) & they haven't really done much to prove otherwise. Eastern was a top 10 team and has disappointed to some extent, but they also (like MSU) haven't played enough FCS games to fully change them from preseason thoughts & talent evaluations.

I haven't done my ballot quite yet, but I'm guessing EWU will be somewhere in my 21-30 range (maybe in, maybe out). They'll be behind Weber, UM, & NAU and a little ahead of the Bobcats.

FargoBison
October 5th, 2008, 11:51 PM
MSU is not a top 25 team, they are getting closer but I'd have a hard time ranking a 4th team out of the Big Sky and especially a team that has a resume as light on wins as MSU's.

CrazyCat
October 6th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I think you're misinterpreting my logic. Montana State was not a top 25 team coming into the season (in my mind & in most others) & they haven't really done much to prove otherwise. Eastern was a top 10 team and has disappointed to some extent, but they also (like MSU) haven't played enough FCS games to fully change them from preseason thoughts & talent evaluations.

I haven't done my ballot quite yet, but I'm guessing EWU will be somewhere in my 21-30 range (maybe in, maybe out). They'll be behind Weber, UM, & NAU and a little ahead of the Bobcats.

Maybe your preseason evaluation was wrong. xpeacex

Green26
October 6th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Fargo Bison:

While MSU may not yet deserve the top 25 (altho you should look at the bottom of your top 25), UM, EWU and NAU were already in the top 25 last week and Weber will be this week. Thus, I don't understand your "4th team" comment. It makes me wonder if you are paying attention.

appfan2008
October 6th, 2008, 10:13 AM
They are on the outside looking in on my top 25

FargoBison
October 6th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Fargo Bison:

While MSU may not yet deserve the top 25 (altho you should look at the bottom of your top 25), UM, EWU and NAU were already in the top 25 last week and Weber will be this week. Thus, I don't understand your "4th team" comment. It makes me wonder if you are paying attention.

I did have a hard time ranking a 4th team, EWU barely stayed in my poll. At the time I wrote that I was really considering only ranking 3 Big Sky teams. I did eventually look over my poll and decided to give EWU one more chance. So far I'm only impressed with two Big Teams, Montana for winning at Cal Poly and Weber State for finnally knocking off the Griz. NAU and especially EWU and MSU still have some more work to do in my mind.

elcid96
October 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Screamineagle doesn't think so. Apparently KSU proved that.xrolleyesx xcoffeex

K-State destroyed them and K-State is a horrible team. Not top 25 yet.

gr8ness97
October 6th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Almost there in my top 25

CrazyCat
October 6th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I had a long drawn out post explaining the improvements (field goals,red zone offense,O-line,pass defense,etc.) of MSU but decided that the only thing that can convince people that MSU is indeed a quality top 25 program is pretty simple. Just kick the ***** out of Weber at homecoming this weekend xthumbsupx

CatFan22
October 6th, 2008, 12:24 PM
The title of this thread lied to me! ;)

Walkon79
October 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM
The skepticism is understandable. While KState has proven to be one of the big 12 doormats, I'm not sure you can carry the 2nd game over for too much longer in your poll voting. I'm just fine lurking at 26-30 for another week or two.

To the point about 4 BSC teams in the top 25. I don't think it's UM and everyone else as usual this year in the Big Sky. Many more offensive weapons than previous years in conference, and much better balance. I don't think its a case where the Griz have come back to the pack so much as everyone else is much improved. Even the 0-5 Bengals!!

Any road win is a good one.

Grizo406
October 6th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Congrats to the Bobcat Nation!xthumbsupx

Good luck against Weber!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

The Wildcats seem to be serious about football this season, so please plan accordingly.

I Bleed Purple
October 6th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Beat us and you'll be top 25.

I looked over the ISU-MSU game and I didn't see any outstanding performances. Do you have big LBs? Colt Anderson is this great safety for UM and he lost the big hits battle. He got one on Etuati, and Smith took him out twice. One he carried him for 8-9 extra yards and once just knocked him down and kept running. We're extremely good offensively.

cats2506
October 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM

I looked over the ISU-MSU game and I didn't see any outstanding performances. Do you have big LBs? Colt Anderson is this great safety for UM and he lost the big hits battle. He got one on Etuati, and Smith took him out twice. One he carried him for 8-9 extra yards and once just knocked him down and kept running. We're extremely good offensively.

I wouldnt say that they are BIG, but the are very good, fast and hit very hard, lots of depth in the LB's. In comparison um doesnt have a LB corp

already123
October 6th, 2008, 05:24 PM
if MSU beats WSU...they earn a top 20 ranking IMO.

but until then...

CopperCat
October 6th, 2008, 05:58 PM

MSU's D has more than one guy to make plays. The CB's are playing probably their best football right now, which only enhances the production of the LBs. MSU has been pretty darn good at stopping the run (better than UM was last weeking, no smack intended). Don't think that you're going to come into Bozeman and run all over the defense. The D is our strength, and we know it.

I Bleed Purple
October 6th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Then it should be a good game. I anticipate MSU doing more to stop the run than UM did. So Higgins should have a 300+ game. He and the receivers are too good against eight in the box and biting LBs on play fakes.

Hansel
October 6th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Montana St was unranked preseason- which of these results suggests that they should be?

Sat 10/04/08 at Idaho St 0 5 W 33 21
Sat 09/27/08 South Dakota 2 4 W 37 18
Sat 09/13/08 at Minnesota 5 1 L 23 35
Sat 09/06/08 at Kansas St 3 2 L 10 69
Sat 08/30/08 Adams St 1 5 W 59 3

CrazyCat
October 6th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Montana St was unranked preseason- which of these results suggests that they should be?

Sat 10/04/08 at Idaho St 0 5 W 33 21
Sat 09/27/08 South Dakota 2 4 W 37 18
Sat 09/13/08 at Minnesota 5 1 L 23 35
Sat 09/06/08 at Kansas St 3 2 L 10 69
Sat 08/30/08 Adams St 1 5 W 59 3

And NDSU was ranked in the preseason- which of these results says they still should be?

W Austin Peay 0-6
W Cen. Con. State 4-1
L Wyoming 2-4
L YSU 2-4
W SIU 2-2

Thundering_Herd
October 6th, 2008, 07:55 PM
And NDSU was ranked in the preseason- which of these results says they still should be?

W Austin Peay 0-6
W Cen. Con. State 4-1
L Wyoming 2-4
L YSU 2-4
W SIU 2-2

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

IABison
October 6th, 2008, 08:20 PM

W Austin Peay 0-6
W Cen. Con. State 4-1
L Wyoming 2-4
L YSU 2-4
W SIU 2-2

Touche... xcoolx

GOKATS
October 6th, 2008, 08:31 PM

W Austin Peay 0-6
W Cen. Con. State 4-1
L Wyoming 2-4
L YSU 2-4
W SIU 2-2

Nice!!xthumbsupx

And why the hell do we let people like hansel live in Bozeman, smells up the town. He makes NDSU fans look bad and I know that's not the case.

CrazyCat
October 6th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Nice!!xthumbsupx

And why the hell do we let people like hansel live in Bozeman, smells up the town. He makes NDSU fans look bad and I know that's not the case.

There is a person who is a NDSU fan who lives in Bozeman that likes to smack the Bobcats on every message board he can. He even claimed that since NDSU was so dominant that all the best recruits from the state of Montana would sign with the Bisonxlolx

I'm not sayin that person is Hansel, I'm just sayin.

catbob
October 6th, 2008, 08:39 PM
That's what makes MSU so good though, we don't stack 8 in the box. Our defensive front can stop the run pretty well themselves, though they are a bit banged up right now.

MSU has been arm-tackling all season; you can't do that against Smith. But Smith hasn't gotten more than 80 yards against the Cats yet. I hope that trend continues. :)

FargoBison
October 6th, 2008, 08:51 PM

W Austin Peay 0-6
W Cen. Con. State 4-1
L Wyoming 2-4
L YSU 2-4
W SIU 2-2

SIU is a pretty good team, they have some nice wins over Hampton and UNI. You guys will have your SIU game this weekend against Weber State, good luck. xthumbsupx

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM

W Austin Peay 0-6
W Cen. Con. State 4-1
L Wyoming 2-4
L YSU 2-4
W SIU 2-2

Let's wait for the end of the season then let's see where we are at.

......by the way Cats fans...when are the Cats coming to Fargo for their return tripxrolleyesx xrolleyesx

CrazyCat
October 7th, 2008, 07:56 PM

......by the way Cats fans...when are the Cats coming to Fargo for their return tripxrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Please contact:

Peter Fields

Director of Athletics

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Please contact:

Peter Fields

Director of Athletics

I've e-mailed our AD more than once saying I would like to get the Grizz/Cats on the schedule in the future.

Only one catch........Grizz/Cats come to Fargo first...none of this buy-out sh**xthumbsupx

Grizzaholic
October 7th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I've e-mailed our AD more than once saying I would like to get the Grizz/Cats on the schedule in the future.

Only one catch........Grizz/Cats come to Fargo first...none of this buy-out sh**xthumbsupx

Give it a rest

CopperCat
October 7th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Why don't you call the people who actually make the decisions on scheduling and maybe you'll find out.

Here's a better question: when are NDSU fans going to quit pissing and moaning about this?

Grizzaholic
October 7th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Why don't you call the people who actually make the decisions on scheduling and maybe you'll find out.

Here's a better question: when are NDSU fans going to quit pissing and moaning about this?

I can answer this. NEVER! If they make the playoffs and have to play either team from Montana in Montana it will be another conspiracy.

I Bleed Purple
October 7th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Wait a minute, why hasn't NDSU played us in Ogden? I know we lost 44-0. I don't remember them playing us here.

CrazyCat
October 7th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Wait a minute, why hasn't NDSU played us in Ogden? I know we lost 44-0. I don't remember them playing us here.

Must have been some kind of buy-out clause xlolx

GOKATS
October 7th, 2008, 10:58 PM

I, for one, thought this would be a great year (12 games) to set up a home/away with an FCS school llike the Bison and the Cats going on the road first. I didn't mind playing two FBS schools, but I was really disappointed with scheduling a DII and USD, a transitional FCS school so the win didn't count. In the traditional 11 game schedule it's tough because in the BSC you have four at home and four on the road. Since the Cats do a money game every year and we're guaranteed 6 home games it doesn't leave many options when it comes to the OOC schedule.

FargoBison
October 8th, 2008, 12:03 AM

We did the year prior to that game. That said, I would be glad to see another home and home with any Big Sky team.

I Bleed Purple
October 8th, 2008, 12:16 AM
We did the year prior to that game. That said, I would be glad to see another home and home with any Big Sky team.

Did you? Maybe it was the year I was in Korea.

FargoBison
October 8th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Did you? Maybe it was the year I was in Korea.

Yeah, we went to Ogden in 2004...

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11844&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=87211

I Bleed Purple
October 8th, 2008, 12:41 AM
That would be the year. A damn fine year to miss, actually.

I Bleed Purple
October 8th, 2008, 04:20 AM

Now, I generally like to peruse other boards (should there be one) just to see other side of the coin, so to speak. First time ever, though, that I've been quoted on another board. Way to go, bobcatnation, putting this in your bulletin board material thread. I didn't know not knowing your players is such a bad thing. Not like Trevyn Smith ever gets mentioned over there. All I've seen is "#25 (I think)" and "that running back" for him, and Smith has won the rushing title the past two years. All of you must be *new* Robertcat fans. :D

So I'll say this. Your linebacker and you as a fan base will soon learn who #25 is this weekend. I'm guessing two more run overs (new stat) by Trevyn Smith. And if you wish to have me respond in thread form, have a discussion, shoot the ****, etc., feel free to sign up at this wonderful website, anygivensaturday.com, (http://anygivensaturday.com) a place that has varying points of view instead of hunkering down on your homer board. Good luck Saturday. xthumbsupx

CopperCat
October 8th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Now, I generally like to peruse other boards (should there be one) just to see other side of the coin, so to speak. First time ever, though, that I've been quoted on another board. Way to go, bobcatnation, putting this in your bulletin board material thread. I didn't know not knowing your players is such a bad thing. Not like Trevyn Smith ever gets mentioned over there. All I've seen is "#25 (I think)" and "that running back" for him, and Smith has won the rushing title the past two years. All of you must be *new* Robertcat fans. :D

So I'll say this. Your linebacker and you as a fan base will soon learn who #25 is this weekend. I'm guessing two more run overs (new stat) by Trevyn Smith. And if you wish to have me respond in thread form, have a discussion, shoot the ****, etc., feel free to sign up at this wonderful website, anygivensaturday.com, (http://anygivensaturday.com) a place that has varying points of view instead of hunkering down on your homer board. Good luck Saturday. xthumbsupx

Save the smack and let the game happen first.

cats2506
October 8th, 2008, 10:03 AM

From BobcatNation

Smith had a good game against the Griz but Webers rush offense is #5 in the Big Sky avg.114 yds./gm. Smith has an avg. of 4.7 for the year.

The problem with facing a team like Weber this week that is strong especially on the offensive line is that it will be very hard to stop the run. Smith was averaging 7.6 yds a carry against the Griz and most of his carries were right up the gut.

I think that anyone picking us to win easily may be overyly optomistic, because I thought that WSU looked very good against UM. Smith is a load, and Higgins has also played very well all season.

Smith proved that he is a very good runner and should have an eye kept on him the entire game.

After watching a recording of the game I came away very impressed with Weber's offense. They are very strong when they come straight at you and Smith is the perfect compliment to that style of offense.

Evidently you didnt read very far, most all of us watched that game and KNOW who Smith is. Do you know who Palmer is?

I think that pic you have up of the scoreboard with um is going to be the highlight of your season

catbob
October 8th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Yea, Smith has torn the Cats up the first two meetings, a combined 143 yards and 1 TD. Maybe Cat fans don't really know him because he hasn't done anything against us yet. :P

That being said, Smith is probably the best back in the league, and the reason we were able to contain him the first two times was because Weber hasn't had a good QB in some time. With our DL banged up (3 out of 4 starters out), Smith could have a big day.

Besides, this game is a pretty solid matchup. Neither team is going to pick against their team this week, since both teams feel and legitimately have a shot to win. Weber is probably the more dangerous team, but there will be a packed homecoming crowd for the Cats (yes, we fill out stadium up...).

Bobcat in NC
October 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM

xboringx

Ditto what Crazy said...

I Bleed Purple
October 8th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Yea, Smith has torn the Cats up the first two meetings, a combined 143 yards and 1 TD. Maybe Cat fans don't really know him because he hasn't done anything against us yet. :P

That being said, Smith is probably the best back in the league, and the reason we were able to contain him the first two times was because Weber hasn't had a good QB in some time. With our DL banged up (3 out of 4 starters out), Smith could have a big day.

Besides, this game is a pretty solid matchup. Neither team is going to pick against their team this week, since both teams feel and legitimately have a shot to win. Weber is probably the more dangerous team, but there will be a packed homecoming crowd for the Cats (yes, we fill out stadium up...).
Ah, to have a full stadium. The stuff dreams are made of.

Wasn't last year the game we found out Barnes wasn't with his weight in lead? I recall a pick six at about the 20. I think it was the MSU game. There might have been two pick sixes. I don't remember. It was a very frustrating game.

I Bleed Purple
October 8th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Save the smack and let the game happen first.

Ah, come on, I can't reply to being ganged up upon. xcoolx

You need to realize, there's one of me and too many of you. I need to make up for that. xsmiley_wix

I Bleed Purple
October 8th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evidently you didnt read very far, most all of us watched that game and KNOW who Smith is. Do you know who Palmer is?

I think that pic you have up of the scoreboard with um is going to be the highlight of your season

Ooh, is that a confession on who copied and pasted my quote over there? I probably did read those quotes you put, but remembered the other posts first. Besides, it's easier to have your posts fall into the mass oblivion when you're one of many than when you're all of one fan of a team and someone's scouring other boards looking for "BB material."

An interesting thing in the paper today is that the last 6 or 7 times UM has been beaten in conference, only one of those teams have won the next week, Portland St. against Sac. St. MSU lost in the first round of the playoffs the last two times they beat UM.

Even so, I'm still looking at a touchdown win for Weber. 31-24. Seems there may be snow. That will hurt Higgins. Last time he played in the snow, he only threw four touchdowns that game.

cats2506
October 8th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Ooh, is that a confession on who copied and pasted my quote over there? I probably did read those quotes you put, but remembered the other posts first. Besides, it's easier to have your posts fall into the mass oblivion when you're one of many than when you're all of one fan of a team and someone's scouring other boards looking for "BB material."

An interesting thing in the paper today is that the last 6 or 7 times UM has been beaten in conference, only one of those teams have won the next week, Portland St. against Sac. St. MSU lost in the first round of the playoffs the last two times they beat UM.

Even so, I'm still looking at a touchdown win for Weber. 31-24. Seems there may be snow. That will hurt Higgins. Last time he played in the snow, he only threw four touchdowns that game.

I didnt realize a confession would be needed, Its not like I use a different name on the different boards.

So will you be at the game?

Walkon79
October 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM

I thought Crawford's 100 yard (almost) performance was outstanding, considering he'd been throwing up for 24 hours. Smith is a solid back, but I wouldn't trade Demetrius for Trevyn.

Walkon79
October 8th, 2008, 04:34 PM

Would love to see it. But only if you get some decent turf!! One game on concrete is enough. Thanks BenGals

I Bleed Purple
October 8th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I didnt realize a confession would be needed, Its not like I use a different name on the different boards.

So will you be at the game?

Sorry, didn't look at usernames over there. :o

I'm a Weber State fan, of course I won't be there. :p We only travel to the NCAA tournament. Although if we stay undefeated in conference, I may consider going to the ISU game.

cats2506
October 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Sorry, didn't look at usernames over there. :o

I'm a Weber State fan, of course I won't be there. :p We only travel to the NCAA tournament. Although if we stay undefeated in conference, I may consider going to the ISU game.

Too bad, its always fun to talk to fans of another team.