PDA

View Full Version : Samford gets first SoCon win

jonmac
October 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Congratulations to the Samford Bulldogs. Pretty impressive.

21-6 over WCU.

beauvighn
October 4th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Congrats Coach Sullivan and the Bulldogs. It looks like WC wins the battle of the basement in the SoCon

AppChicago
October 4th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Congrats to Samford! Tough for WCU. 19 consecutive SoCon losses? Ouch.

bobbythekidd
October 4th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Congrats Coach Sullivan and the Bulldogs. It looks like WC wins the battle of the basement in the SoCon
You mean WCU. WC is wofford.

Congrats bulldogs, welcome to the Socon!

Appstate29
October 4th, 2008, 03:14 PM
damn, thought WCU had turned a corner, guess not.

ElonPride
October 4th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Congrats Samford!!!

spdram
October 4th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Congrats Samford, my daughter is there in Law School now great to see them get their first SoCon win!

appmaj
October 4th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Congrats Samford

elon77
October 4th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I hate to say I told you so but, I..............

apaladin
October 4th, 2008, 03:51 PM
damn, thought WCU had turned a corner, guess not.

Just wondering why you thought that?

Cocky
October 4th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Surprised it took so long and the score was so close. I don't expect to Samford in next to last either.

beauvighn
October 4th, 2008, 04:21 PM
You mean WCU. WC is wofford.

Congrats bulldogs, welcome to the Socon!

Yeah I stand corrected , WCU.

jonmac
October 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I agree Cocky. I think they may be better than a lot of us gave them credit for. Not saying that beating Western proves, just saying.

phoenixphanatic21
October 4th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Congrats to Samford. Now go get a couple more this year!

sugrad04
October 4th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks everyone. It's a milestone for our team and Athl. dept, but wer're far from content!

elcid96
October 4th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Great job Samford.

T-Dog
October 4th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Good job Sammy.

But guess who comes to town next week? xanim_chaix

blackNgold93
October 4th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Congrats Samford, welcome to the SoCon. Nice job christening WCU's new turf appropriately.xthumbsupx

GreatAppSt
October 4th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Congrats Samyxthumbsupx

catamount man
October 4th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I offer my congrats to Samford and patiently, I wait.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

catamount man
October 4th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Congrats to Samford! Tough for WCU. 19 consecutive SoCon losses? Ouch.

17 to be exact.

Appstate29
October 4th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I offer my congrats to Samford and patiently, I wait.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Good thing WCU fans are some of the most patient around!! They have been waiting for decades! ;) just kidding. Take it easy on us this year plz.

catamount man
October 4th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Good thing WCU fans are some of the most patient around!! They have been waiting for decades! ;) just kidding. Take it easy on us this year plz.

We deserve every bit of crap we get. For decades, our administration's mindset towards a strong football program and the neglect of athletic facilities upkeep has got us at this point. Not to mention that a certain coach that did not make the best use of the talent he inherited from a 7-4 team that was returning 18 starters and was primed for an upward move. This same coach lost 25 assistant coaches over 5 years, made a few enemies with longtime WCU supporters, had lazy recruiting methods and certain rich friends to protect him until his house of cards went bankrupt and common sense came calling, not to mention a new staff that is going to be good, but right now, they are coaching in the SoCon with a Division 2 roster at best. It's sickening, it's appalling, and it almost wants to make you cry. But what can you do than simply stick with your team and when that day of reaping the bountiful harvest DOES come, what a blessed day that will be. So, patiently, I wait.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

SoCon48
October 5th, 2008, 12:30 AM
We deserve every bit of crap we get. For decades, our administration's mindset towards a strong football program and the neglect of athletic facilities upkeep has got us at this point. Not to mention that a certain coach that did not make the best use of the talent he inherited from a 7-4 team that was returning 18 starters and was primed for an upward move. This same coach lost 25 assistant coaches over 5 years, made a few enemies with longtime WCU supporters, had lazy recruiting methods and certain rich friends to protect him until his house of cards went bankrupt and common sense came calling, not to mention a new staff that is going to be good, but right now, they are coaching in the SoCon with a Division 2 roster at best. It's sickening, it's appalling, and it almost wants to make you cry. But what can you do than simply stick with your team and when that day of reaping the bountiful harvest DOES come, what a blessed day that will be. So, patiently, I wait.
GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, as surely you know your own Catamount program better than me, but WCU has had 5 coaches since 1989. Strahm, Hodgin, Bleil, Briggs, and Wagner. There are schools who can afford to hire and fire almost at will since they can open the purse and attract top notch experienced mentors with great W-L records. WCU and ASU haven't proven to be able to do that. One reason App has been more consistent in recent years (past 2 decades) is that we have kept JM in spite of many influential fans trying to can him. Took JM almost 20 years to win a National Championship. We went through good days and bad with Brakefield, Working, Sparky, Woods, and Mack Brown.

My two cents would be to try to keep Wagner even if he doesn't win a conf game for two seasons. If he was successful elsewhere, he will be at WCU eventually. It's hell to recruit when the opposition is out there telling all the recruits and their parents, "If you don't sign with us, don't go to XYZ University, they change their coaches like we change socks."

Assistant coaches leave for many reasons. Some for better positions elsewhere. Some for HC jobs. Some for better pay. Some because wifey wants to go elsewhre. The whole gamut. But they surely leave (fired) when the head coach is canned or the writing is on the wall that the HC is about to be canned.

I know I'm not saying anything, you don't already know, catamount Man, but just reminding you WCU fans that the problems aren't always as simple as they seem...putting the blame on one individual in the chain is not usually accurate. Some App fans liked to blame RL for all our problems. Have to remind them every now and then that he hired one of their heroes, HF.
Hope things are going well with you and your family.

phoenixsq
October 5th, 2008, 03:20 AM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

I hurt for you guys. We at Elon know what it is like to have bad coaching (remember the sad Kye Hamilton story?). Just hang in there. We want you to be good, it makes the SoCon more interesting........xthumbsupx

Jiggs
October 6th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Another great trip to Cullowhee. We're looking forward to hosting the Mountaineers this week.

lizrdgizrd
October 6th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Nice win, Samford. UTC should be your next W.

terrierbob
October 6th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I'm amazed that such a little "chipmunk" private school (as a GSU poster called WC a week ago) would have the temerity to consider joining the conference, much less entertain any hope of competing.

PhoenixPhan06
October 6th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Great win and way to validate the move to the SoCon!

Laserlips
October 7th, 2008, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE=catamount man But what can you do than simply stick with your team and when that day of reaping the bountiful harvest DOES come, what a blessed day that will be. So, patiently, I wait.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!![/QUOTE]

cat:

You said it in a nutshell..

Hang in there, anyone can be a fan when his/her team is winning, but it's the sign of a TRUE fan when that person is there rooting his team on win or lose...xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

The "sun don't" shine on the same dog forever.. (My GSU is a good indicator of that), so maybe things will turn around for Western Carolina before most folks think.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

eaglewithabus
October 7th, 2008, 01:48 PM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Hang in there! Sometimes the slumps that you have to endure are some of the funnest times to be a fan, at least then you get to see who the true fans are, and when youre back on top you have the satisfaction of knowing that you stuck through the tough times. Much like being a GSU fan the last few years and a Braves fan....know how you feel...I just hope our rock bottom never has to be a loss to samford;)

Jiggs
October 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I just hope our rock bottom never has to be a loss to samford;)

Don't worry, you still have room to fall after Samford wins.xthumbsupx

eaglewithabus
October 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Don't worry, you still have room to fall after Samford wins.xthumbsupx

I hope you understand that knocking off western doesnt mean you belong on the field with any other SoCon schools besides WCU and UTC...but you three should hit it off as rivals.

Reign of Terrier
October 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Samford's a decent team team. They have great athletes. They won't make the playoffs this year because of schedule. They might if they were in the Big South:)

MoreheadEagle
October 7th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Give Samford a couple of seasons and they should be pretty solid. They have the $$$ and the facilities which should help them in the recruiting battles.

AppChicago
October 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM
17 to be exact.

I stand corrected. I was going by what David Jackson (I think) said on the ISP broadcast of the App game...

GATA
October 7th, 2008, 06:49 PM
It seems to me that Samford is actually pretty solid. I'd go as far as saying that they're going to finish 4-4 in the SOCON. I really hope one of those wins aren't against the eagles :D

WCU LawCat
October 7th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I stand corrected. I was going by what David Jackson (I think) said on the ISP broadcast of the App game...

Anything you get from David Jackson should always be double checked. If not for validity, for the fact that when he screams in the mic you can't hear what he is saying because of the distortion....or because you had to quickly turn it way down to save your ears and you may not have heard what you thought you heard.

The Cats
October 7th, 2008, 10:56 PM
We deserve every bit of crap we get...... It's sickening, it's appalling, and it almost wants to make you cry......

this post made me want to cry.........

Phoenix87
October 7th, 2008, 11:15 PM
It seems to me that Samford is actually pretty solid. I'd go as far as saying that they're going to finish 4-4 in the SOCON. I really hope one of those wins aren't against the eagles :D

I second, this Samford team is very solid. Their O-Line is huge and athletic. Young QB and RB that are starting to gel and a very solid Defense. While we didn't play our best game against them, overall I would still say that Defensively they were a better team than Furman. Offensively I can't really tell between the two because our Defense played lights out against Furman this past week and awful against Samford. Maybe a sign of how solid Samford's O was though?

I think they finish in the middle of the pack, App better watch out because they aren't afraid to knock you in the mouth.

The Cats
October 8th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I hope you understand that knocking off western doesnt mean you belong on the field with any other SoCon schools besides WCU and UTC...but you three should hit it off as rivals.

That's mighty big talk from a fan who's team has already lost two SoCon games, only won against one of the three you so readily put down, and haven't played Samford yet.

Looking at your remaining schedule, you only have two chances of additional wins this season (that being against both WCU and Samford). After asu puts a major whipping on you, gsu has three of the four remaining games on the road (two of the three for sure loses). Samford being that remaining home game, so, what you gonna say when those bulldogs win in your house and gsu goes 0-2 the remaining home games?????? xwhistlex xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

eaglewithabus
October 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
That's mighty big talk from a fan who's team has already lost two SoCon games, only won against one of the three you so readily put down, and haven't played Samford yet.

Looking at your remaining schedule, you only have two chances of additional wins this season (that being against both WCU and Samford). After asu puts a major whipping on you, gsu has three of the four remaining games on the road (two of the three for sure loses). Samford being that remaining home game, so, what you gonna say when those bulldogs win in your house and gsu goes 0-2 the remaining home games?????? xwhistlex xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

We lost by a total of three points to two teams that everyone has in their top three teams in the socon. Three points, one of those including an overtime loss by one point because we went for two. How have you fared in the conference so far, oh thats right, Samford embarrassed you guys in their first season. I dont think this is our year but I do believe we will beat western, samford, and atleast 1 out of app, citadel, and furman. I dont think its a stretch to say weve got a decent shot at taking two of three games vs. app, cit and fu. Ill be around at the end of the season and I will be glad to eat crow if we get embarrassed, but I just dont see it happening.

Eaglesrus
October 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM

So, you say we only have two more chances to win (WCU and Samford) and then you say "when the bulldogs win in your house", so in effect you're saying we will go 1 - 4 from here on out? What I say to that is that I'm willing to make a small wager on that; you in?

The Cats
October 9th, 2008, 06:33 AM
So, you say we only have two more chances to win (WCU and Samford) and then you say "when the bulldogs win in your house", so in effect you're saying we will go 1 - 4 from here on out? What I say to that is that I'm willing to make a small wager on that; you in?

What I said was you will go 0-2 on your remaining home games.......

appstate38
October 9th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Looking at their depth chart, Samford is a BIG football team. I don't know that any other team in the SoCon can match their size. They will be in more football games going down to the wire than not. I don't know they are a guaranteed win for anybody.

Eaglesrus
October 9th, 2008, 07:28 AM

That's definitely part of what you said, if you choose to ignore the rest that's okay by me, too.

eaglewithabus
October 9th, 2008, 07:40 AM

Id be willing to put a wager on this being false.

biggie
October 9th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Looking at their depth chart, Samford is a BIG football team. I don't know that any other team in the SoCon can match their size. They will be in more football games going down to the wire than not. I don't know they are a guaranteed win for anybody.
Being that I've been unable to see them play, of course. Does anyone know about their speed though? Our whole conference is a quick one and if Sammy is Big and Slow, that is an issue for them.

Rob Iola
October 9th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Samford played Elon tough - and Elon dismantled a good (yet undersized) Furman team last weekend. Could be a trap game for ASU this weekend - and ASU can't afford a 3rd loss this early in the conf. season...

The Cats
October 9th, 2008, 11:14 AM
That's definitely part of what you said, if you choose to ignore the rest that's okay by me, too.

I ignored nothing...... I stand by both posts. IMO - GSU goes 0-2 at home - as well as a BIG loss to Samford. The Western game in Cullowhee will not be a pushover either. :D