PDA

View Full Version : UMass Efense-no "d" so far in '08

KAUMASS
October 2nd, 2008, 06:58 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm fired up to go to the game this Saturday. I sure hope the UMass defense has found the missing links. We are just about in last place in all the defensive stats for the CAA. Do you know that we have given up 23 touchdowns year to date in 4 games?!... We gave up 24 TD's in 2006 and played 15 games. We gave up 29 TD's in 2007 with 13 games....ouch xoopsx xnonono2x xsmhx xbawlingx xsplatx xflamemadx xeyebrowx xsmhx

Man, have we been spoiled the last 2 years.. There must have been some kick-ass practices the last two weeks.

Hopefully things will change starting this Saturday against the Hens. I know the upside to the team this year is the offense this year, but defense wins championships. Please discuss and keep comments to the defense only.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Not just the CAA, but in all of FCS (almost). Don't worry, EWU's effense isn't far behind. We give up an average of like 470 yds a game... xeekx

EmeryZach
October 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
They just need to start taking better angles and make tackles. They either haven't been getting to the right spots or have been letting guys break tackles. It is a very aggressive bunch of guys, and at times a little too aggressive. We will see what happens. I'm not holding out much hope.

LehighFan11
October 3rd, 2008, 11:10 AM
Not just the CAA, but in all of FCS (almost). Don't worry, EWU's effense isn't far behind. We give up an average of like 470 yds a game... xeekx

Haha yea, how interesting would a Umass vs. EWU game be? O/U 100?

henfan
October 3rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
They just need to start taking better angles and make tackles. They either haven't been getting to the right spots or have been letting guys break tackles. It is a very aggressive bunch of guys, and at times a little too aggressive. We will see what happens. I'm not holding out much hope.

I don't know. I think the issues that UMass' defense have encountered early on are similar to what UD has gone through on offense. Both teams have a lot of talent on their respective sides of the ball; they just haven't performed as they are capable.

UD seems to have turned things around a little on offense last week. I just hope UMass doesn't pick Saturday as the time to get their D in gear. I have little doubt that they will turn it around at some point.

bluehenbillk
October 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
I just hope when they talk about defense on Saturday that they're talking about UD shutting down Coen & Co.

umassfan
October 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Brown stated he is mixing up the D alittle bit. Getting some new players more playing time and we add a DB Goodwin from BC who was out 4 games due to grade issues. A JUCO transfer and true freshman will be seeing some time at Lber(which was a weakness for us). Im assuming they are finally catching on to Browns complex D or Brown is changing it up a bit to fit them. He stated both have alot of speed. Also Brown stated he has been using less of the scout team and more 1st teams vs 1st teams and 1st teams vs 2nd teams in pratice to have them get a better feel for it.

Also on offense we will be using true freshman RB Davis more to give Nelson a break. Davis scored a td vs Texas Tech and had 51 yards rushing vs them.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
Haha yea, how interesting would a Umass vs. EWU game be? O/U 100?

xlolx Something like that. That would be a hell of an offensive slugfest, that's for sure. We sort of get a game like that this weekend against Portland State though... they may not be an effective offense per se, but they're first in passing offense in the nation, and we're third. Both teams rank in the bottom four in total D. I've got EWU pulling it out, 52-38. It'd be kind of cool to see it higher than that though... I've yet to witness a game (live or on tv) exceed 100 points scored.

HensRock
October 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
I've yet to witness a game (live or on tv) exceed 100 points scored.

Ha ha! You need to watch some CAA !!!

Last year:
Richmond 62
@Delaware 56

FIVE Overtimes!

HensRock
October 3rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Just dug this up. Note: Over 1000 yds total offense!

http://www.gohens.net/images/Game%2010%20-%20Richmond/rich0087.JPG

OxSoxUNH05
October 3rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
xlolx Don't fret, You'll have plenty of "D"s coming to you.

Defeated by Delaware
Destroyed by UNH
Didn't make the playoffs,
and finally the grades your players get at the end of the semester xlolx

dennisdent
October 3rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
xlolx Don't fret, You'll have plenty of "D"s coming to you.

Defeated by Delaware
Destroyed by UNH
Didn't make the playoffs,
and finally the grades your players get at the end of the semester xlolx

umassfan has a brother at UNH.xsmiley_wix

OxSoxUNH05
October 3rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
umassfan has a brother at UNH.xsmiley_wix

As long as your referring to his signature then i agree xthumbsupx

Old Cage
October 3rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
For Sceamin Eagle - When we won the National Championship under Mark Whipple, he was fond of saying "If we hold 'em under 50, we'll be fine".

The closest we came that year to 100 was in the championship game: UMass - 55, GSU - 43. The previous year we got there, beating UNH 64-42 in the last game of the regular season to get to the playoffs. We didn't need no stinkin' overtimes.