PDA

View Full Version : UT Martin vs TSU

Weems
October 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
What are everyones thoughts on this game? A big game in the OVC as UTM has started out 2-0 in conference play... However, we are just now getting into the good teams to see how good the Skyhawks really are.

TSU looks like one of the teams to beat in the OVC.

UTM wins a nailbiter with a come from behind victory on Homecoming 35-31.

Go Skyhawks!

Cocky
October 2nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
TSU by 3

MoreheadEagle
October 2nd, 2008, 10:55 PM
TSU by 7. I follow the OVC and I think that UTM should do OK, but TSU has a lot of talent.

hawkeye
October 3rd, 2008, 09:36 AM
TSU by 7. I follow the OVC and I think that UTM should do OK, but TSU has a lot of talent.

Exactly righton TSU talent, especially TSU QB Heffner. Some info on Mr. Heffner: PREVIOUS SCHOOL (South Carolina): Played in seven games and started one for the Gamecocks...lone start against Auburn where he completed 15 of 23 passes for 133 yards and one touchdown...had a 2.4 average per carry on 28 rushes and one touchdown...two carries for eight yards against Missouri in the Independence Bowl...

TSU throws the ball 28 times a game. Heffner's connections with Belvin for the long ball has scored in almost every game. UT Martin also airs the pigskin and interestingly enough UT Martin QB Cade Thomas is also a South Carolina transfer. His favorite target and Ole Miss transfer is Mike Hicks. Both defenses will more than likely get tired just running on and off the field because both of these offenses will strike quick.

UT Martin defense has had some pick six plays this year. This one will be close and is Martins homecoming. Finally UT Martin will know what kind of team they have. Its gut check time.

TSU Stats:

Games played: 5
Avg per rush: 4.0
Avg per catch: 14.4
Pass efficiency: 156.30
Kick ret avg: 22.0
Punt ret avg: 10.6
All purpose avg/game: 539.4
Total offense avg/gm: 413.4

Gamecocks99
October 3rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
I think UTM is the sleeper flying under the radar.

UTM by 9

bigbluetiger
October 3rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Should be good game. TSU spoils UTM's homecoming 35-21.

Gamecocks99
October 3rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
www.5Dimes.com Picks :

Tennessee State at Tennessee-Martin
10/4/2008
3:00 PM (EST)

1563 Tennessee State +5½ -1201.833

1564 Tennessee-Martin -5½ -1201.833

TTUEagles
October 3rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
TSU by 10 - I have no reason why...Martin hasn't been tested and TSU has played all FCS schools and won most.

Maroons
October 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
I like your pick, TTUEagles... unless this is the week TSU puts it all together and plays error free football. If they do that, it could be a blowout... not because Martin is bad... but because TSU has the pieces to be great.

Weems
October 4th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I like your pick, TTUEagles... unless this is the week TSU puts it all together and plays error free football. If they do that, it could be a blowout... not because Martin is bad... but because TSU has the pieces to be great.

I agree. UT Martin will have to bring their A game today

Weems
October 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Final Score

TSU 30

UTM 27

Beat us in OT.

TSU you played a great game, and UTM played a good one... We had 3 balls dropped that would have gone for a TD, including one in OT when we had to settle for a FG. Other than that, they played good. Got a lot to work on come time for the Eastern Illinois game..

Syntax Error
October 4th, 2008, 06:20 PM
what a nailbiter!

Maroons
October 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I'm not sure what surprised me more... the fact that this game was so close... or the fact that SEMO held JSU scoreless for the first quarter!

Probably the SEMO/JSU game... I stand corrected... apparently the score updater was incorrect and JSU did score in the first quarter.

Weems
October 4th, 2008, 08:47 PM
well, TN Martin had a very winnable game slip through their hands today. As stated before, we have a short week, and will have to work on some things before Eastern comes to town on Thursday

MoreheadEagle
October 4th, 2008, 10:18 PM
This one was closer than I thought it would be. Good job Skyhawks.

bigbluetiger
October 4th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Great game. Both team made some mistakes. I wasn't there but I'm not surprised by the mystery flag at the end of the game.

Cocky
October 4th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure what surprised me more... the fact that this game was so close... or the fact that SEMO held JSU scoreless for the first quarter!

Probably the SEMO/JSU game... I stand corrected... apparently the score updater was incorrect and JSU did score in the first quarter.

We fumbled inside the 20 on our first possession.

JSU may have played their worse game so far. I was not impressed with the effort today.

hawkeye
October 5th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I was at there and this game was one of the hardest hitting games I have seen in some time. TN Martin defense caused several turnovers and scored a pick six. TSU finally got away from the passing game and lined up behind their huge line. In overtime, Martin dropped a touchdown pass and kicked a field goal. TSU once again relied on their big line in OT to seal the win. It was a nailbiter and yes it hurts to stay ahead the entire game to watch it slip away in OT. Congrates to TSU. Time to get ready for a short week for Eastern Ill. who was off. No injuries and Martin will be ready for the Panthers.

hawkeye
October 5th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Great game. Both team made some mistakes. I wasn't there but I'm not surprised by the mystery flag at the end of the game. I had birds eye view. Man went in motion without your QB being set. While he got set, man still in motion and he snapped the ball. Thats Illegal shift. Officiating was great.....for a change. xnodx Of course the linesman official looked back for the spot and the chaingang had moved....Had to go to OVC tv replay for the correct yardline.