PDA

View Full Version : Does McNeese state make the Playoffs

ElonFirefighter
September 30th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Question 1 Does southland have a Auto bid?
Question 2 if McNeese State doesnt run the board and win the conf do they get an auto bid?

As of right now the most DI wins they can get is 8. I dont see them running the board, so what happens??? Does the 4 team get screwed. Or does a team get a ranking much higher then they deserve and end the season in the rightful place :pumpuke:

McTailGator
September 30th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Question 1 Does southland have a Auto bid?
As of right now the most DI wins they can get is 8. I dont see them running the board,

1. Yes the SLC has an auto bid.

AND WHY DON'T YOU THINK McNEESE WILL RUN THE BOARD?

HOW MANY GAMES HAVE YOU SEEN MCNEESE PLAY?

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT OUR TEAM, PLAYERS, AND TALENT LEVEL THAT PREVENTS YOU FROM SEEING IT

BUT if we only lose one SLC game we still may get in because the committee may not punish us for losing a game to a Hurricane, unless it was a Tulsa Hurricane or a Miami Hurricane ;)

They gave Nichols a pass after Katrina and lowered their maximum D-I wins.

IF our only SLC loss is to an undefeated UCA, we still get in because UCA, can not accept the Auto Bid due to this only being their 2nd year in D-I,
xrotatehx

X-Factor
September 30th, 2008, 11:35 PM

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT OUR TEAM, PLAYERS, AND TALENT LEVEL THAT PREVENTS YOU FROM SEEING IT

BUT if we only lose one SLC game we still may get in because the committee may not punish us for losing a game to a Hurricane, unless it was a Tulsa Hurricane or a Miami Hurricane ;)

They gave Nichols a pass after Katrina and lowered their maximum D-I wins.

IF our only SLC loss is to an undefeated UCA, we still get in because UCA, can not accept the Auto Bid due to this only being their 2nd year in D-I,
xrotatehx

Didn't Nichols win the auto though? # of wins shouldn't matter in that case.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 30th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Probably not.

(But hell, what do I know.)

th0m
October 1st, 2008, 03:58 AM
Isn't the 7 D-I wins only a criteria for when you want to get an at-large bid? I seem to recall a 6-5 Lafayette team make the post-season by grabbing the Patriot auto-bid in 2006.

JohnStOnge
October 1st, 2008, 04:25 AM
One factor in McNeese's chances of making the playoffs is the fact that Central Arkansas is not eligible. So if Central Arkansas wins the conference while McNeese finishes second, McNeese goes. At least that's what I understand to be the case. In fact I recall that it was reported that McNeese clinched the Southland auto bid last year prior to playing Central Arkansas because of that. Had Central Arkansas won the last game of the season between the two, the Bears would've won the league but McNeese would've represented the Southland in the playoffs.

Whether McNeese can get in otherwise without winning the league depends largely on whether or not McNeese wins this weekend. If the Cowboys beat South Dakota State then lose one conference game they'll finish 8-3 with 7 Division I wins. That would give them a shot. If they don't beat South Dakota State I don't think they have a shot at an at large bid. They'd have to get the auto.

JohnStOnge
October 1st, 2008, 04:36 AM

I don't think we can blame people for having a certain perception of McNeese based on the way the Cowboys performed in the playoffs the last three times they got there. They entered as the #1 seed in 2003 at 10-1 then as the #2 seed at 11-0 in 2007 and got blown out by 8-3 at large bid teams both times. In between they got blown out by Montana in 2006.

Hopefully they'll start down the road of shaking the perception created by those debacles by playing well this weekend.

katstrapper
October 1st, 2008, 06:36 AM
One factor in McNeese's chances of making the playoffs is the fact that Central Arkansas is not eligible. So if Central Arkansas wins the conference while McNeese finishes second, McNeese goes. At least that's what I understand to be the case. In fact I recall that it was reported that McNeese clinched the Southland auto bid last year prior to playing Central Arkansas because of that. Had Central Arkansas won the last game of the season between the two, the Bears would've won the league but McNeese would've represented the Southland in the playoffs.
Whether McNeese can get in otherwise without winning the league depends largely on whether or not McNeese wins this weekend. If the Cowboys beat South Dakota State then lose one conference game they'll finish 8-3 with 7 Division I wins. That would give them a shot. If they don't beat South Dakota State I don't think they have a shot at an at large bid. They'd have to get the auto.

xlolx xlolx Why do you think that McNeese and Central Ark are the only teams that will be at the top of the conference? Every year the Southland is a dog fight. Believe me, it is not a two team fight.

TexasTerror
October 1st, 2008, 07:25 AM
Isn't the 7 D-I wins only a criteria for when you want to get an at-large bid? I seem to recall a 6-5 Lafayette team make the post-season by grabbing the Patriot auto-bid in 2006.

The committee will take hurricane wiped out games into account. When Nicholls made it 6-3, they won the auto qualifier. Our SHSU AD was a member of the committee for several years and while he wanted a game to replace the PV game and almost landed Alabama State, he did acknowledge from his experience that the committee keeps these things in mind.

If SHSU goes 8-2 (with 7 Div I wins), they would be in IMO. 7-3 (with 6 Div I wins) wouldn't cut it anyway...

patssle
October 1st, 2008, 08:16 AM
Until proven otherwise, McNeese will probably make the playoffs. However SHSU has a great chance this season of taking their place. UCA is even more capable of beating them, but can't take their spot in the playoffs.

UNIFanSince1983
October 1st, 2008, 08:41 AM
If they lose this weekend and don't win the Southland McNeese does not make the playoffs...

msupokes1
October 1st, 2008, 08:58 AM
Until proven otherwise, McNeese will probably make the playoffs. However SHSU has a great chance this season of taking their place. UCA is even more capable of beating them, but can't take their spot in the playoffs.

I don't think UCA is more capable of beating McNeese. We are better then we were last year and they might be better too. But by how much. Last years game was not even close. Sam Houston on the other hand has the talent to win but seem to come up short each year. If Sam can hang on to the intensity that they are playing at now they could be a contender. If McNeese can play every game like they played against UNC I think they will be ok.

UNIFanSince1983
October 1st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Sorry this has nothing to do with this post just thought I would throw this out there...

Am I the only one who misses when UNI used to play McNeese in OOC matchups?

McNeese72
October 1st, 2008, 09:15 AM
Sorry this has nothing to do with this post just thought I would throw this out there...

Yep, we need to do that home and home thing again.

Doc

McNeese75
October 1st, 2008, 09:18 AM

You got my vote xthumbsupx

LehighFan11
October 1st, 2008, 09:19 AM
The committee will take hurricane wiped out games into account. When Nicholls made it 6-3, they won the auto qualifier. Our SHSU AD was a member of the committee for several years and while he wanted a game to replace the PV game and almost landed Alabama State, he did acknowledge from his experience that the committee keeps these things in mind.

If SHSU goes 8-2 (with 7 Div I wins), they would be in IMO. 7-3 (with 6 Div I wins) wouldn't cut it anyway...

Are you saying SHSU with losses to Kansas and Central Ark/McNeese and 1 Quality win over Central Ark/McNeese would get in? Unless McNeese and Central are perceived to be really good, I doubt it.

Bearkat-Backer
October 1st, 2008, 09:28 AM
I don't think UCA is more capable of beating McNeese. We are better then we were last year and they might be better too. But by how much. Last years game was not even close. Sam Houston on the other hand has the talent to win but seem to come up short each year. If Sam can hang on to the intensity that they are playing at now they could be a contender. If McNeese can play every game like they played against UNC I think they will be ok.

I think he was saying UCA was more likely than SHSU to pull off the win against you guys. Not that he thought UCA was going to beat you.

patssle
October 1st, 2008, 10:17 AM
Are you saying SHSU with losses to Kansas and Central Ark/McNeese and 1 Quality win over Central Ark/McNeese would get in? Unless McNeese and Central are perceived to be really good, I doubt it.

If SHSU beats UCA but loses to McNeese, the most likely scenario would be McNeese winning conference and SHSU being 7-2 instead of being 8-2 because of the hurricane.

The question is, would SHSU get in or not for losing to ranked top 5 team and playing a top 20 FBS program very well?

However, if SHSU beats McNeese and loses to UCA, most likely SHSU gets the autobid.

RabidRabbit
October 1st, 2008, 10:22 AM
Southland is unlikely to land a 2nd team as an At-large.

McNeese would be the most likely possibility for an at-large IF they win at SDSU this week.

IF UCA wins the Southland, guarantee that ONLY the auto-qualifier comes out of the Southland this year.

JohnStOnge
October 1st, 2008, 07:03 PM
xlolx xlolx Why do you think that McNeese and Central Ark are the only teams that will be at the top of the conference? Every year the Southland is a dog fight. Believe me, it is not a two team fight.

I didn't say that McNeese and Central Arkansas are the only teams with a shot to win the conference. I was just saying that the chances of McNeese making the playoffs are helped by the fact that Central Arkansas isn't eligible. McNeese can make the playoffs by finishing second in the league if Central Arkansas is the team that wins it. Same is true of any playoff eligible team in the conference.

BEAR
October 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
So I guess if this scenario comes to pass:

SHSU wins SLC by beating McNeese
McNeese beats UCA.
UCA beats SHSU but loses to IDLE U.xlolx

SHSU is auto and McNeese is at-large?

But if UCA wins the SLC..whoever is second gets the auto-bid. The third team hopes for an at-large. And UCA goes home again because of the stupid transition rule. xmadx xlolx

GeauxColonels
October 1st, 2008, 08:15 PM
Didn't Nichols win the auto though? # of wins shouldn't matter in that case.
Nicholls State (2 FREAKIN' "L"s) DID win the autobid in 2005 after Hurricane Katrina with less than 7 DI wins. That requirement is only if you're trying to get the auto-bid. Which, as of now, I feel is between McNeese State and Sam Houston State.

patssle
October 1st, 2008, 09:25 PM
I don't know, if UCA wins conference but McNeese finishes 2nd with 2 losses (UNC and UCA), then I would think they would get a playoff bid. You can't drop a ranked top 5 team out of playoffs for 1 loss (versus another ranked team), can you?

patssle
October 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM
What if SHSU wins conference and McNeese finishes 2nd with 2 losses, SHSU and UNC? I would think a now-ranked top 5 team with 1 FCS loss to a then ranked SHSU team would get a playoff bid as they would still be a top 15 ranked school.

ElonFirefighter
October 1st, 2008, 09:36 PM
Without a DI win, a loss this weekend could drop them right out of the polls, if not that below 15

McNeese75
October 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM
Without a DI win, a loss this weekend could drop them right out of the polls, if not that below 15

xrolleyesx I doubt it.

Bearkat-Backer
October 2nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
McNeese is the favorite to get the SLC AQ year in and year out. The question should be does SHSU make the play offs?

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
McNeese is the favorite to get the SLC AQ year in and year out. The question should be does SHSU make the play offs?

They can only afford one loss the rest of the way and it needs to be the SLC champ. Two losses, they are done. Simple as that.