PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Washington @ Portland State

Screamin_Eagle174
September 30th, 2008, 08:35 PM
#11 Eastern Washington University Eagles (2-2, 1-0 conf.)
at
Portland State University Vikings (1-3, 0-1 conf.)

Saturday, October 4th, 1:05 p.m. PST
PGE Park (19,566), Portland OR

By Mike Lund
TELEVISION: None
RADIO: AM 910 KTRO and www.am910ktro.com • Pregame Show: Noon • Kickoff: 1:05 p.m.
Play-by-play: Tom Hewitt • Analyst: Mike Lund
INTERNET: Live video stream with radio broadcast at www.bigskytv.org (http://www.bigskytv.org).
Live stats are available at GoViks.com (http://www.goviks.com)

THE SERIES RECORD
All-Time Series: Portland State leads 17-12-1 • PSU leads in Portland 9-6 • PSU leads in Cheney 8-6-1
Big Sky Series: The series is tied 6-6 • The series is tied 3-3 in Cheney • The series is tied 3-3 in Portland

STORYLINE
With Eastern Washington as the closest - in proximity - Big Sky Conference opponent, the Eagles also maintain the longest continuous series with the Vikings. This year the teams will meet for the 19th consecutive season... the series has been tight with PSU winning 10 of the previous 18 seasons. The Big Sky series is dead-even at 6-6, with each school winning three times at each home field... the last time Eastern Washington came to Portland, the Vikings shut them out - 34-0 in 2006 - at PGE Park... EWU Head Coach Beau Baldwin faces the Vikings for the first time.

LAST YEAR
Last season’s 28-21 win over then-21st-ranked Eastern Washington can be considered Head Coach Jerry Glanville’s biggest win in his first season with the Vikings... the Vikings gained 520 yards on offense, and road the talents of fullback Olaniyi Sobomehin, who rush 25 times for 141 yards and a touchdown, and caught five passes for 47 yards and a touchdown... Jordan Senn made 15 tackles, while Ryan Pedersen had a pair of sacks in the game.

AFTER FIVE WEEKS AWAY, VIKINGS RETURN TO THE FRIENDLY CONFINES OF PGE PARK
The Portland State Vikings will finally return to their home field, PGE Park, this Saturday when they host the 11th-ranked Eastern Washington Eagles in a Big Sky Conference game. Kickoff is 1:05 p.m.

PSU opened the season with a 31-14 win over Western Oregon on Aug. 30, but spent the entire month of September away, with one bye week and three road games. The Vikings have struggled with three road losses as they enter the game at 1-3 on the season. Portland State is 0-1 in Big Sky Conference play after losing its league opener last week at Sacramento State, 41-31.

Portland State will play four of its last seven at home starting with this Saturday’s game. The conference-opening loss was PSU’s third defeat in a row and has the Vikings behind the eight-ball already in league play. They will try to get well at home against no less a team than the top-10 ranked Eagles. It is PSU’s first ranked opponent of the season.

It will be a battle of two of the top three passing offenses in the nation, which should result in a high-scoring affair. PSU leads the nation with 356.5 yards passing per game, while the Eagles are third at 326.8 per game.

Eastern Washington enters the contest at 2-2 on the season, 1-0 in Big Sky play after a home win against Idaho State last week, 45-31. The Eagles two losses have come against FBS schools, Texas Tech (49-24) and Colorado (31-24).

Portland State has the benefit of having won the last two meetings between the schools, including a 28-21 upset last season in Cheney against a team that reached the NCAA FCS quarterfinals.

SCOUTING THE EAGLES
No doubt Eastern Washington will be looking for a measure of revenge this Saturday, as the Vikings upset the Eagles, 28-21, at Woodward Stadium. First-year head coach Beau Baldwin will lead Eastern Washington for the first time against PSU, though he served as the offensive coordinator from 2003-2006.

The Eagles are a talented offensive team behind star quarterback Matt Nichols. The junior is averaging a Big Sky-leading 325 passing yards per game and has thrown 10 touchdowns against six interceptions.

Eastern Washington leads the Big Sky Conference in scoring at 36.3 points per game and averages nearly 432 yards of offense.

Nichols has a fleet of wide receivers wth big numbers including Tony Davis (30-343-2), Aaron Boyce (22-258-4), Brynsen Brown (19-303-2) and tight end Nathan Overbay (15-167-1).

Senior running back Dale Morris has carried the ball 59 times for 235 yards and two touchdowns this season.

The only blight on the Eagles offensive game has been eight turnovers in four contests.

On defense, the Eagles have allowed 474.5 yards per game, including more than 370 through the air. The fewest points they have given up in a game is 31.

Zach Johnson has 34 tackles and seven tackles for loss to lead the Eagles. Defensive end Greg Peach has a league-leading six sacks. Matt Johnson has three interceptions for the Eagles.

The Eagles lead the Big Sky in tackles for loss with nearly nine per game.

Kicker Felipe Macias is 4-6 on field goals this season, and has hit a 55-yarder.

PORTLAND STATE VS. NATIONALLY-RANKED TEAMS
Portland State is 13-19 all-time against NCAA I FCS teams that are nationally-ranked (since joining the Big Sky in 1996). The Vikings are 9-7 at home, 4-12 on the road. PSU is 1-2 against Eastern Washington when it is nationally-ranked. PSU was 1-2 against nationally-ranked teams last year, with the win coming over Eastern Washington.
__________________________________________________ _

This will definitely be an interesting game to watch with two of the nations' highest-powered offenses battling it out. The outcome will hinge on whether or not EWU's defense decides to show up, after allowing at least 400yds of total offense in each of their last two match-ups.

already123
September 30th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I have a feeling that this game will be a bit closer than most anticipate...not picking against EWU but I feel that PSU at home presents some challenges

kalm
September 30th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Can you say trap?

eagle1
October 1st, 2008, 12:19 AM
No doubt about this being a huge challenge for EWU. EWU has never really played that well at PGE Park. It is a baseball stadium for goodness sakes!!!xlolx Seriously, EWU is not looking past the Vikes and has some motivation in losing 2 straight to the Vikings. The Eags defense is a concern but they are better than their last two showings. The Eags should get back starting corner, Taiwan Jones, who has been out since fall camp with a broken fibula. He is not 100% but should get some time in this game. The offense will be good as always and if we don't have too many drops or turnovers should score alot of points on Saturday, even in the rain. PSU is good and even better at home so it should be a good game but I like the Eags chances in this one. Go Eags!!!

JALMOND
October 1st, 2008, 12:50 AM
No question we've got our work cut out for us. Even at our house, EWU will prove to be a formidable challenge. The stats are a bit skewed in that our offense is such that we will put up a lot of yards passing. That is our offense in a nut shell. The numbers may look good, but it is hiding the fact that we do have a quarterback controversy going on. It sounds like Howland will get the start, as he did against Sacramento State. The Eagles will be out to avenge the loss last year in their house. Glanville and company will try to keep home field momentum going.

If we get some decent weather, this game could rival our game with Weber State last year in terms of points scored. It will definitely be a good one.

mvemjsunpx
October 1st, 2008, 01:09 AM
Can you say trap?

Why would this be a trap? Portland beat Eastern last year. I don't think EWU will look past this one.

uofmman1122
October 1st, 2008, 01:36 AM
EWU by 2 scores. xthumbsupx

kalm
October 1st, 2008, 08:26 AM
Why would this be a trap? Portland beat Eastern last year. I don't think EWU will look past this one.

Because of PSU's performance so far, and who we play on Oct. 11th.

"Take it one game at a time", "We're not looking past anyone", "If we come out flat, we'll lose", "Let's revenge last year's loss".

You shouldn't have to get players up for any game, and you can use every justification and cliche in the book, but sometimes they still don't listen.

uofmman1122
October 1st, 2008, 08:36 AM
Because of PSU's performance so far, and who we play on Oct. 11th.

"Take it one game at a time", "We're not looking past anyone", "If we come out flat, we'll lose", "Let's revenge last year's loss".

You shouldn't have to get players up for any game, and you can use every justification and cliche in the book, but sometimes they still don't listen.No no, please do get up for this game and give it your absolute best! xthumbsupx

That way you might be too beat up come Oct. 11th. xwhistlexxlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 1st, 2008, 01:40 PM
No no, please do get up for this game and give it your absolute best! xthumbsupx

That way you might be too beat up come Oct. 11th. xwhistlexxlolx

If we give it our best, it won't even be a game, and we'll come out fairly unscathed. We gave it our best against Tech and Colorado... and virtually no injuries. :D

Screamin_Eagle174
October 1st, 2008, 09:32 PM
http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=122283137878923900

Great article in the Sports Tribune with a lot of quotes from Matt Nichols

Screamin_Eagle174
October 1st, 2008, 09:34 PM
http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=122288498470069800

Make that two. xthumbsupx

JALMOND
October 2nd, 2008, 12:15 AM
http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=122283137878923900

Great article in the Sports Tribune with a lot of quotes from Matt Nichols

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Portland Tribune does not even make for good toilet paper.

There are more factual stories here on AGS than there are in the Tribune.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 2nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Portland Tribune does not even make for good toilet paper.

There are more factual stories here on AGS than there are in the Tribune.

So you're saying the responses from Nichols were made up? I certainly haven't read those quotes anywhere else, but it sounds like something he would say.

JALMOND
October 2nd, 2008, 12:28 AM
So you're saying the responses from Nichols were made up? I certainly haven't read those quotes anywhere else, but it sounds like something he would say.

I did not read the article. Let me just say that, based on past experiences with the Tribune (and what I have heard), I never know what to expect from them. I will give you this, it is hard for a newspaper to get any quote wrong, even from the Tribune.

I find it interesting they even know who Nichols is (and EWU for that matter). They rarely go beyond the realm of Duckdom. I always thought the only PSU they know is Penn State University. Maybe they are branching out from their comfort zone.

I should probably read the article. I might need some Tums just in case.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 2nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
I did not read the article. Let me just say that, based on past experiences with the Tribune (and what I have heard), I never know what to expect from them. I will give you this, it is hard for a newspaper to get any quote wrong, even from the Tribune.

I find it interesting they even know who Nichols is (and EWU for that matter). They rarely go beyond the realm of Duckdom. I always thought the only PSU they know is Penn State University. Maybe they are branching out from their comfort zone.

I should probably read the article. I might need some Tums just in case.

Same sort of thing with the Spokesman Review. They never really cover EWU unless we do something amazing. So mostly they cover WSU, even though they suck and aren't even close to Spokane. This year they're doing a lot better, since there's a lot of hype around EWU this year. They've been doing more feature pieces (like the one on center Charlie Wulff), and a lot of online coverage with their sports blog.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 2nd, 2008, 12:41 AM
On a side note, when can we expect your BSC predictions this week? xrolleyesx :D

Screamin_Eagle174
October 2nd, 2008, 12:44 AM
I'm going to go with EWU over PSU, 52-38.

JALMOND
October 2nd, 2008, 12:55 AM
On a side note, when can we expect your BSC predictions this week? xrolleyesx :D

Two of the Tribune sportswriters, Jaynes and Eggers, were both fired from the Oregonian for not adequately checking their "facts". That is all I need to know about them.

I just posted them. Check the thread. Or, I'll save you the trouble...PSU 48, EWU 45.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 3rd, 2008, 10:54 PM
Glanville has much praise for EWU QB Matt Nichols: http://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/index.ssf/2008/10/portland_state_faces_a_hot_qua.html

GOKATS
October 3rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Eagles will win this one.

Tod
October 3rd, 2008, 11:25 PM
I have a feeling that this game will be a bit closer than most anticipate...not picking against EWU but I feel that PSU at home presents some challenges

I disagree. After a (somewhat) close call by ISU, the Eagles come back hard and fast.

45-17, EWU.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 4th, 2008, 03:36 PM
More soft zone coverage... Eagles can't stop the pass... going to be another long day. PSU up 7-0 with a couple minutes to play in the 1st.

We are getting a bunch of pressure of Hubel... hitting him as he throws and sacking him.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 4th, 2008, 03:37 PM
High snap by PSU.... recovered by EWU on the PSU 1 yard line! 1:35 left to play in the 1st!

Screamin_Eagle174
October 4th, 2008, 03:38 PM
TD EWU!

7-7 ball game

Screamin_Eagle174
October 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Another TD, EWU!

14-7, 12:35 to play in the first half

Screamin_Eagle174
October 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM
TD PSU, 14-14. Looks like we're heading for another repeat of last week. Going to be 38-38 going into the 4th, then EWU will shut them out and we'll score 2 TDs.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 4th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Eastern has given up over 300 yards through the air.... in the first half alone. Go EFENSE!

siuham
October 4th, 2008, 05:57 PM
*poke poke*

You've got 11 minutes to prove my ranking wrong.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 4th, 2008, 05:59 PM
*poke poke*

You've got 11 minutes to prove my ranking wrong.

Which was?

Our defense is pathetic... finally we're driving the ball. 8 point game, 7 minutes to play. Defense needs to show up and get a stop.

siuham
October 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM
lookin like you're on the comeback trail.

I'm liking this big sky tv thing. :)

siuham
October 4th, 2008, 06:09 PM
That's not good though.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Man it looks like EWU is in trouble here.

siuham
October 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Oh boy.

Dagger?

600 yards passing? That's just wrong.

CopperCat
EWU = overrated?xeyebrowx

Another TD PSU. EWU better learn to play defense if they want to keep their post-season hopes alive.

UNHWildCats
Man it looks like EWU is in trouble here.
wooohoooooo

you gonna tell me off again? xeyebrowx

xlolx xlolx xlolx

UNHWildCats
October 4th, 2008, 06:13 PM
EWU = overrated?xeyebrowx

Another TD PSU. EWU better learn to play defense if they want to keep their post-season hopes alive.
that person who has them in top 5 is looking pretty folish nnow

Screamin_Eagle174
October 4th, 2008, 06:13 PM
xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx

UNHWildCats
October 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM
xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx
600 yards pssing....looks like your sig pic is way off tonite

CopperCat
October 4th, 2008, 06:17 PM
that person who has them in top 5 is looking pretty folish nnow

Hindsight is always 20/20 Travis.

siuham
October 4th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Hm hm hm. Pretty interesting here. EWU still has a decent chance. If they can get the onside, they can probably drive down and get another score. Neither defense looks like they know what the hell they're doing.

DuckDuckGriz
October 4th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20 Travis.

Shhh he's in emotional hell give him a break

siuham
October 4th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Nope. PSU needs a first down to seal it.

DuckDuckGriz
October 4th, 2008, 06:22 PM
PSU - this year's Jekyll and Hyde BSC team.

BisonBacker
October 4th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Man I didn't see this one coming.

siuham
October 4th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Field Goal PSU. 50 seconds to go. 47-36

siuham
October 4th, 2008, 06:27 PM
EWU fumbles the ball on their first play, PSU in the victory formation now.

LehighFan11
October 4th, 2008, 06:31 PM
So how bad is EWU?

I Bleed Purple
October 4th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Am I reading this right?

44/73 623 5 TD

UNHWildCats
October 4th, 2008, 06:34 PM
sounds about right

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2008, 06:34 PM
wooohoooooo

you gonna tell me off again? xeyebrowx

xlolx xlolx xlolx

No Travis, I just try not to rub **** in on people unless they start some crap. I will be sure to make sure that I remember your rabble rousing today with the teams that have lost so that I may repay you in kind when you are having a bit of a downer when one of your teams loses. I try not to make a practice of that but you have drawn me out of my shell.

LehighFan11
October 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Am I reading this right?

44/73 623 5 TD

Congrats to EWU.

How did TT not score 100 on this team?

Hoyadestroya85
October 4th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Man i love Glanville and Mouse Davis.. The Run and Shoot is one of the two best offenses in football. It's just so much fun to watch, with its simplicity yet it being complex at the same time

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2008, 06:42 PM
So how bad is EWU?

The team of juniors from last year are now seniors so they are about as bad as they were last year only a little better. I think we all know how tough conference play is and they stumbled a little today on the road but they could take out a lot of teams in the FCS but they need to get their defense to gel a little as does Montana for that matter.

I Bleed Purple
October 4th, 2008, 06:43 PM
To be fair, it's less than 9 YPA, which isn't mind boggling. It's that 600+ yards that is.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 4th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Congrats to EWU.

How did TT not score 100 on this team?

Because they couldn't. If they could have they would have, that's the nature of TT. Are you in here trying to start something with the EWU fan or am I just misreading your posts?

LehighFan11
October 4th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Because they couldn't. If they could have they would have, that's the nature of TT. Are you in here trying to start something with the EWU fan or am I just misreading your posts?

EWU guys have said their team is top 10. I thought they were very good as well, ive had them ranked highly. I caught some of their game last week and wasn't impressed with their defense, then this? Just wondering what is going on. I'd like to see them be a top contender but too many questions.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 4th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Because our team fed off of that hostility and crowd noise at Tech and Colorado... just like we always do at WA-Griz. Then we come home to a piss-poor fan base and play "lesser" teams and we don't come to play. There's nothing wrong with our offense, and we have the talent and ability on defense... we're not focused and frankly I think we need a coaching change with our DC. These last three performances have been beyond pitiful. Top 3 offense, bottom 3 defense. If not the very bottom after today. Hats off to PSU... their defense came to play, ours didn't.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 4th, 2008, 07:08 PM
After allowing 400 yds to Idaho State:

...Baldwin insisted he was never discouraged about his defense’s performance.

“That’s the thing about our guys, they’re just going to work and work and work,” he said. “We take pride in that if it’s tight in the fourth quarter, we’re going to win the fourth quarter. We take pride in just being relentless.

Oh really coach? Get a goddamn clue!

Wonder what his statement will be after giving up more yards through the air than TT gained all game against us. Should be a great little nugget of BS. xnonox

JALMOND
October 4th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Just got back from the game (and a great win for PSU). They announced the yardage for Hubel at the game and I was sure I didn't hear it right until I came on here. Granted this was the first time I've seen EWU play but I'm thinking they need some big help on defense. Actually, at first the Eagles seemed to be coasting, like this game was done and they could look forward to next week. The Vikings did their best to try to wake them up, but the Eagles seemed very slow until the fourth quarter. Even so, scary to think that the Eagles might somehow steal this game (I was very nervous that whole fourth quarter) as Nichols and Brice (??), the only two EWU players whom it seemed came ready to play, were marching down the field. But this day, the best team was PSU and the best team won.

Players of the week, you all have mentioned Hubel, may I add the Viking kicker, Danny Urrego had 4FG and 5PAT, total 17 points.

Chi Panther
October 4th, 2008, 08:17 PM
EWU guys have said their team is top 10. I thought they were very good as well, ive had them ranked highly. I caught some of their game last week and wasn't impressed with their defense, then this? Just wondering what is going on. I'd like to see them be a top contender but too many questions.

Playing in a baseball stadium is always a b!^ch......

Screamin_Eagle174
October 4th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Just got back from the game (and a great win for PSU). They announced the yardage for Hubel at the game and I was sure I didn't hear it right until I came on here. Granted this was the first time I've seen EWU play but I'm thinking they need some big help on defense. Actually, at first the Eagles seemed to be coasting, like this game was done and they could look forward to next week. The Vikings did their best to try to wake them up, but the Eagles seemed very slow until the fourth quarter. Even so, scary to think that the Eagles might somehow steal this game (I was very nervous that whole fourth quarter) as Nichols and Brice (??), the only two EWU players whom it seemed came ready to play, were marching down the field. But this day, the best team was PSU and the best team won.

Players of the week, you all have mentioned Hubel, may I add the Viking kicker, Danny Urrego had 4FG and 5PAT, total 17 points.

Aaron Boyce

Casey_Orourke
October 4th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Am I reading this right?

44/73 623 5 TD

This Drew Hubel is a QB machine. You guys from Weber should remember him from the game last year's WSU-PSU game when he threw 35/56...485...9 TD...NO INT in that 73-68 shootout you guys won. If it weren't for the dropped passes and overthrows he could have done the same thing again. Imagine what he could have done in a pass happy FBS program

Screamin_Eagle174
October 4th, 2008, 09:09 PM
This Drew Hubel is a QB machine. You guys from Weber should remember him from the game last year's WSU-PSU game when he threw 35/56...485...9 TD...NO INT in that 73-68 shootout you guys won. If it weren't for the dropped passes and overthrows he could have done the same thing again. Imagine what he could have done in a pass happy FBS program

He'd get picked off more and sacked more against teams with not only a defense, but a superior, faster, legitimate defense. xcoffeex