PDA

View Full Version : UMass Stadium Policy Changes

Kymermosst
September 30th, 2008, 07:28 PM
http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/093008aaa.html

They're mostly about student admission into the games, but hopefully this will alleviate some of the problems we've been having recently.

Grizzaholic
September 30th, 2008, 07:30 PM
So any student that wants to attend your football games is allowed to do so???

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 30th, 2008, 07:40 PM
so the problems UMass has had is students sitting in the wrong sections?

Kymermosst
September 30th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Sorry...I'll explain a bit

Except the middle of the home side, most of the stadium is general admission.

Particularly the last year or so, we've been (finally!) filling McGuirk. All undergrad students at UMass get free admission into all the regular season games/matches for all sports. At football, just flash your card and go in, no real way of tracking or verifying anything.

There is a student-only entrance on the home side, where students flock first, for the sections next to the band and the north end zone. At some arbitrary point they stop admitting students/GA tickets on the home side, and make people sit on the away side.

Last year, against UNH, they stopped letting people reenter the home side after using the restroom, or even after halftime. This led to a lot of angry people who couldn't get back to their friends, and at least one case of someone just urinating in the corner of the stands.

The wristbands are an attempt to track how many students come in, and allow those students to reenter the home side. Hopefully they'll be better about readmitting people with GA tickets as well, as that has become a problem recently.

Grizzaholic
September 30th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Sorry...I'll explain a bit

Except the middle of the home side, most of the stadium is general admission.

Particularly the last year or so, we've been (finally!) filling McGuirk. All undergrad students at UMass get free admission into all the regular season games/matches for all sports. At football, just flash your card and go in, no real way of tracking or verifying anything.

There is a student-only entrance on the home side, where students flock first, for the sections next to the band and the north end zone. At some arbitrary point they stop admitting students/GA tickets on the home side, and make people sit on the away side.

Last year, against UNH, they stopped letting people reenter the home side after using the restroom, or even after halftime. This led to a lot of angry people who couldn't get back to their friends, and at least one case of someone just urinating in the corner of the stands.

The wristbands are an attempt to track how many students come in, and allow those students to reenter the home side. Hopefully they'll be better about readmitting people with GA tickets as well, as that has become a problem recently.

About how many students do you get to go to home Umass games???

Kymermosst
September 30th, 2008, 08:00 PM
It depends on the sport, and how well they're doing.

Our one home game this year football had probably 4,000 students...That was before the dorms had even reopened. Hockey consistently draws around 2,000-3,000 and men's basketball is probably about 2,000-2,500. But basketball and hockey are switching places again as one gets better and the other gets worse.

Other sports I'd guess are about 100 students or less on a regular basis.

art vandelay
September 30th, 2008, 08:17 PM
im not gonna lie its pretty wierd that your fans are peeing in the corner of the stadium no matter the case. hope this helps your pee problem.

OxSoxUNH05
September 30th, 2008, 09:24 PM
so the problems UMass has had is students sitting in the wrong sections?

Funny all this time I thought they were just a bunch of D-bags!xlolx :D

Maroon&White
September 30th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Funny all this time I thought they were just a bunch of D-bags!xlolx :D

This is about UMass fans, not UNH fans.

bkrownd
October 1st, 2008, 02:55 PM
Hm. Hope it isn't a circus. I'll probably go back to using the less crowded East stands this time, depending on the weather. In the old days you could have a whole section to yourself over there. ;D

Old Cage
October 1st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Many of our folks want to sit on the home side because the band faces that way for the halftime and postgame performances. Yes, the band is that good. The band fans want to pee when a football game breaks out. :D

EmeryZach
October 1st, 2008, 03:19 PM
THANK GOD! I'm so happy they are doing this. I still use my old student ID to get into the games for free and had a hideous time getting to the bathrooms and back without security stopping me at the Albany game. I was sitting in the non-student section at the south end (right next to the bathroom) and they made me walk all the way around to the student entrance to get back in after I peed. Plus adding the porto-potties will be a huge help to people sitting at the north end of the stadium. Finally UMass does something wise.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM
A nice band/student section addition in either end with indoor plumbing underneath would be great. And solve all the issues!!

You do expect to draw more with the lights correct?

I had heard (somewhere) that McGurk was designed for such additions.

EmeryZach
October 1st, 2008, 03:24 PM
hahaha It is designed for, and needs, every addition possible.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 1st, 2008, 03:26 PM
hahaha It is designed for, and needs, every addition possible.

don't even start:(

bkrownd
October 1st, 2008, 08:34 PM
Many of our folks want to sit on the home side because the band faces that way for the halftime and postgame performances. Yes, the band is that good. The band fans want to pee when a football game breaks out. :D

Pffff, as if. I'd prefer a proper old-school marching band to the "artistic" silliness they put on. Do they still do that same stupid "Hook" halftime show they did nearly every game for years? If only I could find a way to steal all those silly banners they wave around during their dance routines the night before the game...

The usual problem with the East grandstand is that for noon games it's hot over there and there's a lot of Sun glare off the aluminum benches. Oh, and you have to sit among the Delaware fans listening to some of them bad-mouth McGuirk, UMass and Amherst for the whole game.

Kymermosst
October 2nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
A nice band/student section addition in either end with indoor plumbing underneath would be great. And solve all the issues!!

You do expect to draw more with the lights correct?

I had heard (somewhere) that McGurk was designed for such additions.

McGuirk was designed to be expandable if there ever became a need for it. It's not too hard to expand on a giant concrete wall. Unfortunately that money won't be coming in any time soon, and simple things like bathrooms and maybe rethinking how 3 sides of the stadium are surrounded by gravel need to come first.

Pffff, as if. I'd prefer a proper old-school marching band to the "artistic" silliness they put on. Do they still do that same stupid "Hook" halftime show they did nearly every game for years? If only I could find a way to steal all those silly banners they wave around during their dance routines the night before the game...

Sorry, bk, but that "silliness" is what makes our band one of the best, most recognized college bands in the country, and what gives us the chance to go to places all across the northeast quarter of the country, to Canada, and soon coming to Ireland and spread the UMass name. Thankfully, the band is also the classiest group of students on (or off) campus, so it's a positive image.

KAUMASS
October 2nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
I'm okay with any kid's urinating as long as it on the noteboards of any UNH coaches scouting us this weekend...xlolx....honestly, the changes should help...stadium should be rocking...should be a great game. Think any UNH coaches will be there?

Any AGS'rs attending? I'll be in section 16 at the top!! I should be there about 1:30 to chow down and then hopefully watch the game hens get fried...Hopefully UMass's D shows up, or its going to be a 46-40 game along those lines.

bkrownd
October 2nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
Sorry, bk, but that "silliness" is what makes our band one of the best, most recognized college bands in the country, and what gives us the chance to go to places all across the northeast quarter of the country, to Canada, and soon coming to Ireland and spread the UMass name. Thankfully, the band is also the classiest group of students on (or off) campus, so it's a positive image.

I am just Old Skool, not into sequin-laden artsy-fartsy stuff. I miss the old time marching formations. xconfusedx I need the Wayback Machine to send me back to the 60's or 70's. xrotatehx

Honestly, the fact that they would do the same halftime show every game for two or more years really did not impress me. xwhistlex

Haha, one of my recurring memories of Amherst is that I remember the drumming on autumn evenings somewhere on campus, which you could hear all over town in the cold night air.

Anyhoo, last time I saw Delaware visit Amherst the minutemen (no "M" that day) got totally Handled on the line of scrimmage. I hope the lesson has been learned, but I guess that was back in the Whipple days.

Jackman
October 2nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
We've been moving in the right direction: new surface, new lights, new sound system, smarter policies and average attendance going up by one to two thousand each year for the last 5 years. If we can keep this up we might actually need more capacity by the end of 2009. We should have these problems.

And nobody beats the Power & Class, that's crazy talk. I don't remember a "Hook" show, can't have been in the last dozen years or so.

EmeryZach
October 2nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
I'll be honest, the band is great and all, but when they play that boring stuff, like stuff from musicals and classical and such, and they have someone sing, it really is horrible. I wish they would just play up-tempo fun stuff, more like the HBCU's. They really need to play some stuff from the 90's and on. I can't stand when they have someone sing during it. Too old fashioned for me. If we did something similar to the HBCU's it would be waaaaaaaaay more fun.

Oh, and I still am freaking thrilled that they changed the policy and added more bathrooms. BEST DECISION EVER!! I'd like to think that my email about the situation had something to do with it xthumbsupx. For the people who like to drink a few beers while tailgating, like myself, this is more important than any other change they could have made. xpeacex

appfan2008
October 2nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
good luck with your changes i hope they work out for you...

bkrownd
October 2nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Oh, and I still am freaking thrilled that they changed the policy and added more bathrooms. BEST DECISION EVER!!

There's a good reason why those bottles of Powerade they sell at concession have the Wide Mouth opening and screw-on cap. Lemony-lime in, lemony-yellow out. xwhistlex

bkrownd
October 2nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
And nobody beats the Power & Class, that's crazy talk. I don't remember a "Hook" show, can't have been in the last dozen years or so.

Was probably somewhere in the 1996-1999 seasons, kind of the middle to later part of my tenure there.

Big Dawg
October 2nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
So any student that wants to attend your football games is allowed to do so???

why not?

bkrownd
October 2nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
why not?

I think he's commenting about the free admission part. During my time at Minnesota students had to pay even when the Humpty Dome was usually over 3/4 empty, though student season tix at UofM only came to maybe $6-8 per game. The gates at McGuirk (and Garber) were free as a spring breeze up your shorts.

NovaHater
October 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
I'm okay with any kid's urinating as long as it on the noteboards of any UNH coaches scouting us this weekend...xlolx....honestly, the changes should help...stadium should be rocking...should be a great game. Think any UNH coaches will be there?

Any AGS'rs attending? I'll be in section 16 at the top!! I should be there about 1:30 to chow down and then hopefully watch the game hens get fried...Hopefully UMass's D shows up, or its going to be a 46-40 game along those lines.

I'll be making my first trip to McGuirk this Sat, glad to see UMASS fans will be sitting on the Visitors side, makes for much more fun xnodx I'm also in Sec 16.

KAUMASS
October 2nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
I'll be making my first trip to McGuirk this Sat, glad to see UMASS fans will be sitting on the Visitors side, makes for much more fun xnodx I'm also in Sec 16.

Welcome to Amherst...need any local info? Some of the leaves are turning-you'll have a nice scenic drive once you get past Hartford, CT and into southern Mass.

NovaHater
October 2nd, 2008, 10:20 PM
Welcome to Amherst...need any local info? Some of the leaves are turning-you'll have a nice scenic drive once you get past Hartford, CT and into southern Mass.

Thanks for the offer, flying up to Providence in the morning so it's probably a little late, but would like some advice on casual places to eat after the game. I'll be there early enough on Sat that I'll ask around from some locals or UD fans that regularly make the trip.

From what I can tell, parking isn't a problem ?

KAUMASS
October 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the offer, flying up to Providence in the morning so it's probably a little late, but would like some advice on casual places to eat after the game. I'll be there early enough on Sat that I'll ask around from some locals or UD fans that regularly make the trip.

From what I can tell, parking isn't a problem ?

Get there early and parking won't be a problem. If you get there with only an hour til gametime, it probably will be a problem. I'm planning to get there about 2 hours early. There are a lot of grass fields around the west and south sides of the fields. They will probably be muddy if you try to walk through them. I would suggest to ty and park towards the east side of the stadium and enter on the east side(visitors) and avoid the grass. Locker rooms/field house is on the south side of the stadium.

Sports atmosphere for a bite to eat is Rafters, close to the stadium. If you want something fancier, check with the local locals as I'm not sure what is still open in the area. I live an hour away so I usually don't stay for dining after the game.

I would bring a little sunscreen even though it's only suppose to get to 65and some big sunglasses & hat as the visitors side will be in the direct sun the first half. A light to medium sweatshirt/jacket might be needed once the sun starts to set in the second half.

Have a good flight. The Providence airport is a small airport, and you should get out of there quickly. You will have a nice scenic drive on the Mass Pike to 91.

Old Cage
October 3rd, 2008, 08:25 AM
Noooooooo! Do not drive the Mass Pike to I-91. Get off at the Palmer exit and follow to signs. The 30 minutes that way is shorter miles and much shorter time than 91 to 9.

EmeryZach
October 3rd, 2008, 08:41 AM
Noooooooo! Do not drive the Mass Pike to I-91. Get off at the Palmer exit and follow to signs. The 30 minutes that way is shorter miles and much shorter time than 91 to 9.

Yeah but for someone who hasn't been to UMass before getting off at Palmer can be pretty tricky. I would say it is better to take Mass Pike to 91 North and then get off at exit 19. Much easier way for visitors, and really not that much longer. I timed it one time and it is only 15 mins faster if you take the Palmer exit.

As for a place to eat, you have to go to Judie's in downtown Amherst (If you can get in). It is the best food in Amherst. Amherst Brewing Company (ABC) has great burgers and is also downtown. For pizza you have to go to Antonio's (downtown as well). For closer to the stadium there is The Hanger and Rafters, two excellent sports bars with great bar food.

Maroon&White
October 3rd, 2008, 09:52 AM

It's closer to 40-45mins and not that much shorter. Definitely not deserving a "Noooooooo!" response from you.

henfan
October 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Amherst Brewing has some of the best chowda I've ever had and, yeah, the beer's pretty great as well. I get the feeling that Henfan family will also be darkening the dining area at Northampton Brewery this weekend.xnodx xthumbsupx

Maybe some Bub's BBQ for the tailgate?

bkrownd
October 3rd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Chow on Antonio's and stroll Amherst before the game. After the game go to Northampton, where there's some variety and a slightly more things open in the evening. Amherst is mostly quickie student food, which is great for students, but not very interesting for visitors.

UMass922
October 3rd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Was probably somewhere in the 1996-1999 seasons, kind of the middle to later part of my tenure there.

Had to have been '96 or earlier; I was in the band from the '97 to '00 seasons and we never did Hook.

UMass922
October 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
I'll be honest, the band is great and all, but when they play that boring stuff, like stuff from musicals and classical and such, and they have someone sing, it really is horrible. I wish they would just play up-tempo fun stuff, more like the HBCU's. They really need to play some stuff from the 90's and on. I can't stand when they have someone sing during it. Too old fashioned for me. If we did something similar to the HBCU's it would be waaaaaaaaay more fun.

FWIW, I watched the Atlanta Classic halftime on tv last weekend, and the TSU and FAMU bands both did ballad-tempo numbers featuring singers.

Anyway, when I was in the UMMB, I definitely had more fun performing the louder, more up-tempo stuff. And that's what I prefer as a spectator, too, so I do see where you're coming from. But, for better or for worse, the classical/showtunes repertoire, with the singing and everything, is simply the director's taste, style, strength. It's what he does well, it's what the band does well, and it's ultimately what the band's reputation is based on. It's what earned the band the Sudler Trophy. Hard to argue with those results, or with an audience response that's always overwhelmingly positive.

Old Cage
October 3rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
Guys - Go to mapquest.com and ask for directions from Palmer, MA to Amherst, MA. Look at the miles and the map. It's driving one side of an equilateral triangle versus driving two sides. And you miss the Sauturday mid-day NoHo-Hadley-Amherst traffic jam on 9.