PDA

View Full Version : Haves vs Have-nots?

89Hen
September 30th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Every year we have a lot of discussions of who should be ranked and who should get playoff bids. It's usually one of the teams or conferences that aren't historically strong or have gotten bids in the past that are most vocal about feeling screwed by the "system".

So the question is, is it really a case of the "haves vs have-nots" (teams and conferences living on past success or tradition) or is it more a case of "doers vs non-doers" (teams and conferences living on current success and tough scheduling)?

mcveyrl
September 30th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Every year we have a lot of discussions of who should be ranked and who should get playoff bids. It's usually one of the teams or conferences that aren't historically strong or have gotten bids in the past that are most vocal about feeling screwed by the "system".

So the question is, is it really a case of the "haves vs have-nots" (teams and conferences living on past success or tradition) or is it more a case of "doers vs non-doers" (teams and conferences living on current success and tough scheduling)?

Me and T.O., baby...

xpopcornx

We got it ready.

appfan2008
September 30th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I went with the doers... its all about what you do!

BlueHen86
September 30th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I went with a little of both.

I think it's mostly doers vs. non-doers, but I suspect that schools from "lesser" conferences have a disadvantage.

Grizzaholic
September 30th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I also went with a little bit of both. If a team is on a tear and is winning at the end of the season despite a couple of losses they are a DOER. But on the other hand if the NCAA is faced with 2 teams that only one gets to go to the playoffs I think size of fan base and stadium play a large part. Such as if the last playoff bid will go to Montana or _____________, I would hope not but, I would think that the NCAA commitee would look at the almighty $ a little harder because they know if Montana gets in they will get a big check.

Ronbo
September 30th, 2008, 01:45 PM
If someone is insinuating that Montana is NOT a doer then I will remind you that we are working on 25 straight regular season games in a row and this Saturday will be 26 if we win. We haven't lost since Sept. 2, 2006.

What's the all time record for consecutive regular season wins? And who owns it?

mcveyrl
September 30th, 2008, 01:46 PM
If someone is insinuating that Montana is NOT a doer then I will remind you that we are working on 25 straight regular season games in a row and this Saturday will be 26 if we win. We haven't lost since Sept. 2, 2006.

What's the all time record for consecutive regular season wins? And who owns it?

I don't think anybody would insinuate that Montana was not a doer. For starters they're in an auto-bid conference, so they do most of their "doing" by winning the conference.

Grizzaholic
September 30th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I don't think anybody would insinuate that Montana was not a doer. For starters they're in an auto-bid conference, so they do most of their "doing" by winning the conference.

Year in and year out. This year all that could change....but I sure hope not.

mcveyrl
September 30th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Year in and year out. This year all that could change....but I sure hope not.

I've almost got to the point where I think second place in the Big Sky is also a lock for a spot this year.

Grizzaholic
September 30th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I've almost got to the point where I think second place in the Big Sky is also a lock for a spot this year.

This year that is a very very good possibility.

CCU97
September 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I think it is a little of both...YSU was still ranked after some ugly losses this year because of history....it took a school from a have-not conference in Liberty beating them for them to fall out and probably for good....I mean we all think our team is the best and we can't play every single team out there...and each year there are two or three conferences that rise above the rest....but there are some haves that really should be have nots and vice versa.....

OhioHen
September 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Both come into play. The doer/non-doer part (winning/losing) includes an element of have/have-not (perceived strength of schedule).

89Hen
September 30th, 2008, 02:30 PM
includes an element of have/have-not (perceived strength of schedule).
What do they say about perception? :)

james_lawfirm
September 30th, 2008, 02:36 PM

Could "Doer" be synonymous with SOS? If so, then Montana is NOT a doer.

james_lawfirm
September 30th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Me, me. I did, I did. Yep.

mcveyrl
September 30th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Me, me. I did, I did. Yep.

For auto-bid conferences I don't include SOS as part of being a "doer" since they have no incentive to schedule huge OOC games. That doesn't mean they should have creampuff schedule, but it's not much of a factor since you can win your conference and get in.

ngineer
September 30th, 2008, 10:13 PM

Lehigh had 26 straight regular season wins from late 1999 into 2002. From the end of 1997-the third week of 2002 Lehigh was 46-1, with the lone regular season loss coming at Colgate by a 24-28 score the 9th game of the 1999 season. Don't know if either are records, but you can see why people are currently upset in the Lehigh Valley.

WildCat In The Hat
September 30th, 2008, 10:19 PM
You either have em or you don't

uofmman1122
October 1st, 2008, 01:12 AM
Could "Doer" be synonymous with SOS? If so, then Montana is NOT a doer.Don't worry. One of these years, we'll join the club and schedule a badybag game against a BCS team just so we can get our SOS numbers up. xrolleyesx

Our OOC was perfectly fine this year, and our conference is leaps and bounds better than last year's conference.

mvemjsunpx
October 1st, 2008, 01:29 AM
Don't worry. One of these years, we'll join the club and schedule a badybag game against a BCS team just so we can get our SOS numbers up. xrolleyesx

The Griz did that twice a few years ago. They made a cool million off those games, too. After the deficit was paid off, there was no need for one of these games.

As fans, we get excited when an FCS team has a shot to upset an FBS team, but we all know that's not why those games are scheduled. The other FCS schools attack Montana for allegedly weak schedules, but those teams only need the punching bag BCS "contests" because none of them—not even App State or Delaware—can get anywhere near the $400,000 or so the Griz bring in every home game.

As for the topic of the thread, I voted for "neither". Some of the argument simply revolves around "my team should be in or my conference should get the most teams in & I'll make any argument to that effect no matter how ludicrous". The other aspect is the record vs. SOS debate. Some people seem to think the record alone speaks for itself while others seem to believe strength-of-schedule is the only thing that matters. Obviously, the truth is in the middle.