PDA

View Full Version : NAU is now 3-1

Jacks76
September 30th, 2008, 10:38 AM
After defeating Northern Colorado 25-22. That leaves NAU in 1st place in the Big Sky Conference (Montana is 4-0 but has yet to play a league game).

Paul

89Hen
September 30th, 2008, 10:39 AM
How has their run defense been?

Jacks76
September 30th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Decent, but they're going to get hammered versus Weber State, Eastern Washington and Montana. That would leave them with 3 conference losses and out of the playoffs (again).

Paul

89Hen
September 30th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Have they given up many yards on the ground?

Grizzaholic
September 30th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Don't sell yourself short. EWU's D will be suspect all year. EWU's game plan is score all they can because the D sure won't help their cause.

Jacks76
September 30th, 2008, 11:40 AM
The run defense looks average at best. The overall ground game, on the other side, is good. We can certainly run the football. The passing game is average. So we need to work on things in practice to really make an impact.

As for EWU, I haven't seen enough of them to make predictions about their offense or defense, but they looked good versus Colorado.

Paul

dbackjon
September 30th, 2008, 11:46 AM
The run defense looks average at best. The overall ground game, on the other side, is good. We can certainly run the football. The passing game is average. So we need to work on things in practice to really make an impact.

As for EWU, I haven't seen enough of them to make predictions about their offense or defense, but they looked good versus Colorado.

Paul

Paul,

You do realize that NAU is giving up 9 yards a GAME on the ground??

89Hen
September 30th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Paul,

You do realize that NAU is giving up 9 yards a GAME on the ground??
9 yards per game? You must have held some teams to negative yards? xconfusedx

Wolfman
September 30th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I love Jerome and his offenses are always among the most exciting in the conference. He just has never been able to field a defense that can stop anyone. This is surprising since he was a former defensive coordinstor, and a good one. He always has some great D-backs, but never has much of a D-line or backers.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 30th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Don't sell yourself short. EWU's D will be suspect all year. EWU's game plan is score all they can because the D sure won't help their cause.

That's certainly not our game plan, but it appears that's how they're playing. The stats don't show it very well, but the defense played better than they did against Western. ISU had a couple huge plays that led to TDs because of burned coverage. Another ISU score came of a bobbled EWU pass that was snatched up by LB and returned 50 yards... not a problem of the defense (our receivers need to get their ***** together, I saw 4 such bobbled catches where it could have been picked). The awesome thing about that play though was Nichols chased down that LB and tackled him on the 2 or 3 yard line, saving the automatic TD!

It seems the last two games though we've been using soft zone coverages and the corners are playing too far off... allowing any halfway decent QB to rape us for 7-12 yards a play through the air. Portland State is leading the nation in passing offense right now with that Run n' Shoot, so I guess we'll see what's in store for EWU's defense the rest of the season by how we do Saturday.

As for NAU... they're a good team this year, but they're struggling against the pass as well. If they stop us on the ground and force Nichols to go through the air... it won't be pretty for NAU.

Grizzaholic
September 30th, 2008, 01:08 PM
That's certainly not our game plan, but it appears that's how they're playing. The stats don't show it very well, but the defense played better than they did against Western. ISU had a couple huge plays that led to TDs because of burned coverage. Another ISU score came of a bobbled EWU pass that was snatched up by LB and returned 50 yards... not a problem of the defense (our receivers need to get their ***** together, I saw 4 such bobbled catches where it could have been picked). The awesome thing about that play though was Nichols chased down that LB and tackled him on the 2 or 3 yard line, saving the automatic TD!

It seems the last two games though we've been using soft zone coverages and the corners are playing too far off... allowing any halfway decent QB to rape us for 7-12 yards a play through the air. Portland State is leading the nation in passing offense right now with that Run n' Shoot, so I guess we'll see what's in store for EWU's defense the rest of the season by how we do Saturday.

As for NAU... they're a good team this year, but they're struggling against the pass as well. If they stop us on the ground and force Nichols to go through the air... it won't be pretty for NAU.

But if NAU can play the clock management game and grind out long sustained drives by running the ball or having those little 5 yard dump off passes they can keep EWU off the field and give NAU a shot at an upset.

Walkon79
September 30th, 2008, 07:28 PM

Hey Screamin" don't you think its time to insert another QB in your sig. My hero has been out of college for awhilexmadx

ncbears
September 30th, 2008, 07:32 PM
After defeating Northern Colorado 25-22. That leaves NAU in 1st place in the Big Sky Conference (Montana is 4-0 but has yet to play a league game).

Paul

Good for effin you.

CatFan22
September 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hey guys, MSU is 2-2.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 30th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Hey Screamin" don't you think its time to insert another QB in your sig. My hero has been out of college for awhilexmadx

You're totally right. How does this one look?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3197/2902725609_a071e5d70f_m.jpg

xlolx xthumbsupx :D

already123
September 30th, 2008, 09:13 PM
lets not throw a parade just yet....everyone in the BSC is competetive. There are no easy games IMO. Truly any given saturday....