PDA

View Full Version : Rivalries Hard to Come by Thanks to OVC Scheduling

Gamecocks99
September 30th, 2008, 10:33 AM
http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/mperrin.ssf?/base/sports/122276255562120.xml&coll=2&thispage=2

We need some help from all the OVC ADs with this big Issue. This issue stops the growth of all the programs in the OVC.

Thoughts ?

89Hen
September 30th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Not sure why they can't figure it out. Yankee/A10/CAA scheduling has always been just as difficult, but the Hens and Nova have faced off the last week of the season for the last 10 years. xconfusedx

appfan2008
September 30th, 2008, 12:14 PM
that scheduling sucks especially on a race weekend... i know asu has had the same 3 game stretch in mid october forever and ever gsu wofford and furman...

Cocky
September 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM
The race weekend game has normally worked to our advantage since most teams have to travel a hour +(from the hotel) to get to JSU.

TTUEagles
September 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM
This is the first year that I can remember that TSU has to play everyone in the league, like everyone else. Once again, have to make concessions for TSU. And still, their coach continues to gripe about the OVC being biased against them. He did it again this year regarding the preseason rankings, like it really matters.

Anyhow, I agree with this writer about the scheduling not making any sense. TTU used to end the season with MTSU every year (which is why I still hate them with the fire of 7 suns) and no matter the records, everyone looked forward to it/had big crowds, etc. It was a big week. Now, I guess TSU or APSU is our biggest rival, but it's always at different times. I wish they'd pick a schedule, and let us develop some sort of tradition, like ending the year with the same team or Halloween weekend games, etc.

th0m
September 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM
This is the first year that I can remember that TSU has to play everyone in the league, like everyone else.

Isn't the reason TSU is able to play the entire OVC slate this year because teams are allowed to play 12 teams this season?

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Tenn St should not be allowed to get out of playing a complete conference schedule. That could end up working against them football-wise, perhaps not financially...

If they put finances ahead of their football program, perhaps they can find a home elsewhere. Tenn St has a very respectable OVC program across the board and have much more success in certain sports than their HBCU rivals, possibly because of it -- but seriously, come on Tenn St -- you can take care of your business and play a full OVC.

Maroons
September 30th, 2008, 08:09 PM
This is not the first time this issue has come up (the rivalry game issue, not the TSU issue).

I think that if the ADs and Presidents wanted to make a "rivalry" weekend happen, they could do it regardless of TSU's special situation.

I'm curious, however... what "rivalry games" would people set up? For example:
Murray v. Martin (proximity)
Murray v. Peay (basketball rivals)
Murray v. EKU (history)
Murray v. SEMO (b/c SEMO has no one else?)

Is there a natural way to do this?
SEMO/EIU?
Murray/EKU?
Peay/Martin?
Tech/State?
Who does that leave JaxState with? SIU-E? Maybe Edwardsville can line their soccer team up against the Cocks.

Cocky
September 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Looks like we are odd man out.

BearsCountry
September 30th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Here is how I guess I would set it up geographical:

SIUE/EIU
SEMO/Murray
EKU/Morehead St
Peay/UTM
TSU/TT
JSU/???

Need UNA to move up, it would help Jax State out and football in general. You would have 10 fb members but if TSU wants to play 4 OOC. Set the league up where you have a 8 game round-robin with the other fb school and have TSU almost play as an indepedent but fill those byes that an 8 game - 9 team league has. Its an outside the box look.

TexasTerror
October 1st, 2008, 07:26 AM
Jax St is trying to work their way out of the OVC as is. They may not be around too much longer...

Maroons
October 1st, 2008, 04:26 PM
Here is how I guess I would set it up geographical:

SIUE/EIU
SEMO/Murray
EKU/Morehead St
Peay/UTM
TSU/TT
JSU/???

It is my understanding that SIU-E does not field a football team. Furthermore, Morehead State is not in the "OVC" for football and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I wonder if the OVC is resigned to losing JSU because they picked up SIU-E rather than another Alabama school? However, the OVC did go after Chattanooga and ETSU pretty hard.

bigbluetiger
October 2nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
xsmiley_wix

TSU asked and the OVC granted. Get over it.

Cocky
October 2nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
xsmiley_wix

TSU asked and the OVC granted. Get over it.

We can't complain because the rule was intact when we joined.

The Cats
October 2nd, 2008, 10:41 PM
Maybe you should consider the Big South ...... xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

Gamecocks99
October 3rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Maybe you should consider the Big South ...... xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

Love the pic !