PDA

View Full Version : Info on Nicholls State...

UNIFanSince1983
September 29th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I was just wondering if someone could provide me with some information on this team?

I know they have only played one game against FBS foe Memphis. But what kind of team are they. Do the run, do they pass, and who are key players I should watch out for? Thanks in advance.

Lionsrking
September 29th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I was just wondering if someone could provide me with some information on this team?

I know they have only played one game against FBS foe Memphis. But what kind of team are they. Do the run, do they pass, and who are key players I should watch out for? Thanks in advance.

Very athletic team...run the option...big play backs...solid QB...very fast defensively...probably have the top FCS defensive NFL prospect in the country in Ladarius Webb...he's dangerous in many ways...has great range in the secondary...can take it to the house on punt returns...will also line up at QB or WR when they have to throw it...they'll be a tough out for Northern Iowa.

UNIFanSince1983
September 29th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Well thanks I guess I am excited to see Ladarius Webb in person.

I am glad, however, that this game is on national TV. Not for me obviously, but so people around FCS can get a better idea of the Panthers.

McNeese75
September 29th, 2008, 09:08 PM
If you have an aggressive defense, welllllllllllllll, could be an interesting night xwhistlex

McNeese72
September 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM

They run the old GSU option and do it pretty decently.

Doc

McNeese72
September 29th, 2008, 09:23 PM
If you have an aggressive defense, welllllllllllllll, could be an interesting night xwhistlex

LOL. That usually kills Northwestern St. everytime, unless they are lucky enough to get a lot of turnovers.

Doc

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2008, 09:26 PM
LaDarius Webb can do so many things. He was SLC Off, Def and Special Teams POTW at one point or another last season...just an impressive athlete, one that needs to be enjoyed while you can!

UNIFanSince1983
September 29th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks for all of your input those of you who play them on a regular basis!

McTailGator
September 29th, 2008, 10:28 PM

GREAT defense...

And a very tough Triple Option like GSU used to run.

If your not used to playing against the Triple O and don't have a disciplined defense, they will give you hell.

Chi Panther
September 29th, 2008, 10:38 PM
#13 SIU rushed for 49 yards
#23 SDSU rushed for 15 yards

Something will have to give.....

If UNI loses this one....I may throw my laptop through the TV....xbawlingx

Where is a Nicholls State fan to give us some details???

GeauxLions94
September 29th, 2008, 10:49 PM

Possibly recovering from Hurricanes. GeauxColonels is the main poster here. He'd have great insight on the Colonels, though everyone who has posted has pretty much nailed Nicholls State down pretty good. xnodx

Lionsrking
September 29th, 2008, 11:20 PM

You can throw those rush defense stats against SD State and SIU out the window...you may do a good job against their option but it's a completely different type of rushing attack and they will gain yards...just a matter of how many, and how many big plays.

UNIFanSince1983
September 30th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I have plenty of confidence in my team, but a short week to get ready for a team with the triple option and great athletes worries me just a little bit...

Khan4Cats
September 30th, 2008, 08:12 AM
While not as impressive as NAU's rushing defensive stats, those stats for UNI are the real deal also.

In our 4 games we have given up:

77 yards to BYU (they have since gained 137 on Washington, 174 on UCLA, and 163 on Wyoming)
125 to South Dakota (96 by their quarterback, a lot on scrambles)
15 to South Dakota State
49 to Southern Illinois

All of those teams also had a viable passing attack that the defense had to focus on as well. Our front 7 is the strength of our defense. Nicholls State may get their yards from shear number of attempts, but unless they can show an ability to throw the ball at least a little, I like our chances against them.

UNIFanSince1983
September 30th, 2008, 09:20 AM
An option attack is not the same as those rushing attacks you mentioned. Our guys have to know their responsibilities and be very disciplined. I know our front 7 is the strength and think the coaches will have them ready, but we could give up a couple big plays. I still think we will out talent them and beat them handily, but we may be behind a touchdown early.

McNeese75
September 30th, 2008, 11:03 AM
An option attack is not the same as those rushing attacks you mentioned. Our guys have to know their responsibilities and be very disciplined. I know our front 7 is the strength and think the coaches will have them ready, but we could give up a couple big plays. I still think we will out talent them and beat them handily, but we may be behind a touchdown early.

That is it in a nutshell. If they play assignment football and you can slow the offense down while scoring points and building a lead it is very difficult for a traditional option team to catch up (I say traditional with respect to Cal Poly). UNI success is going to be dependent somewhat on your coaching staff and how well they can scheme the option. If they do a good job and stop the run, you win, if not, Nicholls will run up and down the field all day and control the game.

We have a few teams in the SLC that see that offense every year but they still have never figured out how to defend it xwhistlex :D

DOME
September 30th, 2008, 11:10 AM
JJ I was coming online to ask the same question and here you have a whole thread all done up for me already!
Now if I could find a Job in this backwards economy I could go watch the game in person, guess I'll have to sit in my recliner and watch!

Hood
September 30th, 2008, 03:28 PM
We graduated a lot of seniors. But if I look at just the first half of the Memphis game, before the (lack of) depth took over, our new starters are doing a heck of a job already.

We have All everything Ladarius Webb, which was mentioned. We have 3 of our first 4 quarterbacks on the depth chart saw playing time last year (mostly in mop up duty in blow outs against Texas State and Northwestern State). We have a running back by committee.

We have a defense that had Kareem Moore of the Redskins last year and taking his place is some kids just as talented.

Every year Coach Thomas says we'll option less and throw more. I think this is just decoy speaking frankly.

We have great special teams, and we're known to get 'cute' with the play calling. Well as cute as you can get with an option ground attack.

Our only request, as we do for all dome teams, is that your fans don't yell to loud :) I mean how else can we audible, right? :)

Bearkat-Backer
September 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Our only request, as we do for all dome teams, is that your fans don't yell to loud :) I mean how else can we audible, right? :)

We asked the same thing of the Bison faithful last year, but they rudely disregarded our request! xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

Hood
September 30th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Heh, I remember seeing some classic NFL footage where back in the 70s(?) they literally flashed on the sign to ask the fans quiet down.

I would have made that joke had I been on this board when we played the Bison a few years back.

GeauxLions94
September 30th, 2008, 06:26 PM
We graduated a lot of seniors. But if I look at just the first half of the Memphis game, before the (lack of) depth took over, our new starters are doing a heck of a job already.

We have All everything Ladarius Webb, which was mentioned. We have 3 of our first 4 quarterbacks on the depth chart saw playing time last year (mostly in mop up duty in blow outs against Texas State and Northwestern State). We have a running back by committee.

We have a defense that had Kareem Moore of the Redskins last year and taking his place is some kids just as talented.

Every year Coach Thomas says we'll option less and throw more. I think this is just decoy speaking frankly.

We have great special teams, and we're known to get 'cute' with the play calling. Well as cute as you can get with an option ground attack.

Nicholls State audible = dive play to the FB when play call is to the outside ... and vice versa :p

Hood
September 30th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Nicholls State audible = dive play to the FB when play call is to the outside ... and vice versa :p

shhhh!!!!

slostang
September 30th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I have plenty of confidence in my team, but a short week to get ready for a team with the triple option and great athletes worries me just a little bit...

Short week for UNI and a very long week for Nichols, they have a bye this weekend and had two games canceled due to hurricanes. Tough offense to get ready for in a short week. Should be a good game.

Someone mentioned it is on national TV. Who is broadcasting the game???? ESPNU????

Khan4Cats
September 30th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Yes, ESPNU

When I mentioned the running stats earlier in the thread, my point was, we were able to hold those team's rushing attacks down and they all had viable passing attacks, some of which did considerable damage to us. If we are able to key on the run 85% of the time, I think we'll be fine. The key will be limiting them from breaking any really big plays. The longest run we've given up has been 16 yards.

Of course special teams have been a real achilles this year.

rcny46
September 30th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Well thanks I guess I am excited to see Ladarius Webb in person.

I am glad, however, that this game is on national TV. Not for me obviously, but so people around FCS can get a better idea of the Panthers.

UNIFan,what channel is carrying your game with Nicholls? I'd really like to watch this one if I can get that station.Thanks,and good luck.

rcny46
September 30th, 2008, 09:45 PM
After I posted the above question,I noticed that someone had already answered my question.ESPNU it is!

McNeese75
September 30th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Yes, ESPNU

When I mentioned the running stats earlier in the thread, my point was, we were able to hold those team's rushing attacks down and they all had viable passing attacks, some of which did considerable damage to us. If we are able to key on the run 85% of the time, I think we'll be fine. The key will be limiting them from breaking any really big plays. The longest run we've given up has been 16 yards.

Of course special teams have been a real achilles this year.

You better talk to your punter and kicker about keeping the ball away from "you know who" xnodx

Houndawg
September 30th, 2008, 11:20 PM
You better talk to your punter and kicker about keeping the ball away from "you know who" xnodx

They got the message last week from Larry Warner.:D

Seriously, if Nicholls State can run on UNI I'll be surprised. UNI's D-line is as tough as they come and they scheme brilliantly.

UNIFanSince1983
October 1st, 2008, 08:59 AM
Oh man all this talk about the game keeps getting me more and more ready. I can't believe I normally have to wait until Saturday I don't know how I do it.

Hood - Well I am sure we will yell loud, but it is sad because I don't think there are going to be too many people at this game for whatever reason. Most people hear Nicholls State and it just doesn't get the same excitement around here that SIU, NDSU, and SDSU get. Plus apparently if it is on TV they think they don't need to come to the Dome.

Big Cats
October 1st, 2008, 09:04 AM
There will be lots of students in attendence though since they'll want to get on TV AND they wont have to go home to Mom and Dad until Saturday.

Chi Panther
October 1st, 2008, 09:57 AM
There will be lots of students in attendence though since they'll want to get on TV AND they wont have to go home to Mom and Dad until Saturday.

I hope this is true!!xthumbsupx

Hood
October 1st, 2008, 01:23 PM
I just hope for a good game. I regretfully cannot attend as I'd love to see some FCS under a dome. I wasn't around for the times in the Superdome. Or if I was around, I was more worried about using the big boy potty than making football games.