PDA

View Full Version : McNeese State @ South Dakota State

Kid Dakota
September 29th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Any predictions on this game, could be one of the big games in the FCS this coming weekend. How good is McNeese State ? hard to tell by there schedule, but they seem to be well balanced on offense. Can SDSU over come the injury bug and play big when it counts ?

Last time these two met in 06 South Dakota State rallied for 14 points in the final five minutes of the game, including a 46-yard field goal by Parker Douglass with 14 seconds remaining, as the Jackrabbits rallied for a 20-17 victory over then 16th-ranked McNeese State

http://www.gojacks.com

patssle
September 29th, 2008, 12:50 PM
McNeese State has not beaten a quality/playoff bound team since GSU on 9/10/2005. Their ranking this year is based entirely off of last year's fluff schedule where they got whomped by EWU in the 1st round.

The ranking this year is also based on wins over D2 and NAIA with a loss to FBS.

We will find out if McNeese is for real this Saturday.

McNeese72
September 29th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Any predictions on this game, could be one of the big games in the FCS this coming weekend. How good is McNeese State ? hard to tell by there schedule, but they seem to be well balanced on offense. Can SDSU over come the injury bug and play big when it counts ?

Last time these two met in 06 South Dakota State rallied for 14 points in the final five minutes of the game, including a 46-yard field goal by Parker Douglass with 14 seconds remaining, as the Jackrabbits rallied for a 20-17 victory over then 16th-ranked McNeese State

All, I'll say, is don't judge this McNeese team based on the 2006 game. There was a lot of internal strife going on over disciplining players at the time of the game and things were going downhill for McNeese. Tommy Tate was fired after that game (and it was only partially because of the results of that game).

Matt Viator has stepped in and changed things greatly. He is a great offensive coach and a workaholic. Probably sees X's and O's in his dreams. He has really opened up the offense.

Also, he has brought back two defensive assistant coaches from our great defensive teams of the mid to late 90's. We are moving back from a zone defense type team to a man to man with a good blitz package.

The team chemistry on this team is great. The parents have told me that the players on this team are like one big family together. Not anything like was going on with the team before the 06 SDSU game.

Doc

P.S. Some of the SDSU fans like to point out that they are 8-1 (?) or whatever it is over the SLC. Well, we are 12-1 against the SLC teams since Matt Viator took over the team after the 06 SDSU game.

Lionsrking
September 29th, 2008, 01:02 PM

This McNeese team is a lot better than the one SDSU played two years ago...home field advantage will be huge in this one, but I think the Cowboys will overwhelm them with team speed...tight early then Pokes erupt...47-28 Cowboys.

da_Bison
September 29th, 2008, 01:03 PM
SDSU in a blow out

appfan2008
September 29th, 2008, 01:05 PM
SDSU at home

Kid Dakota
September 29th, 2008, 01:15 PM
The reference to the 06 game was just the last time the two met. This game is completely different, in players, coaching etc........ for both teams.

It will be a tight game, team speed will cause SDSU problems but they have dealt with that before. Turnovers and who owns the line of scrimmage will decide the out come. Weather should be great with sun and high around 70

Down with the Foe!
September 29th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Going with my neighbors in Dakoty. - but I love MacTeam and all that MacBBQ! Should be a great game.

Retro
September 29th, 2008, 02:25 PM
McNeese State has not beaten a quality/playoff bound team since GSU on 9/10/2005. Their ranking this year is based entirely off of last year's fluff schedule where they got whomped by EWU in the 1st round.

The ranking this year is also based on wins over D2 and NAIA with a loss to FBS.

It only looks like a fluff schedule because we whipped everyone in conference so bad in addition to UL-L. I guess you just have sour grapes since your one man team couldn't get it done againest us last year!xbawlingx

If you had seen the Mcneese performance againest UNC, you'd think differently, but then again maybe not knowing your posts!

As long as there is no bad weather, i don't think Mcneese will have much problem with SDSU after a few series..

patssle
September 29th, 2008, 02:29 PM
It only looks like a fluff schedule because we whipped everyone in conference so bad in addition to UL-L. I guess you just have sour grapes since your one man team couldn't get it done againest us last year!xbawlingx

If you had seen the Mcneese performance againest UNC, you'd think differently, but then again maybe not knowing your posts!

No sour grapes, just living in reality. Beat somebody worthy and win in the playoffs, then you'll get my blessings for a high ranking. I've used the same arguement for SHSU in the past so at least I'm consistent.

Khan4Cats
September 29th, 2008, 02:29 PM
If SDSU can get over some of the injury bugs, I'll take them at home. It's not an easy trip into Brookings and the Jacks are tough at home.

SDSU in a close one 30-24

SiouxFallsJack
September 29th, 2008, 03:11 PM
If we get our defensive starters back for the game we should win in a close game.

putter
September 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM
This should be a great game. I took McTeam based on their playing of UNC. I still wish that Cal Poly game would have happened.

mlbowl
September 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I don't know who Siuth Dakota State is:p ....but I took 'emxnodx

McNeese75
September 29th, 2008, 04:06 PM
No sour grapes, just living in reality. Beat somebody worthy and win in the playoffs, then you'll get my blessings for a high ranking. I've used the same arguement for SHSU in the past so at least I'm consistent.

Yep, you have been consistent with your posts regarding McNeese for a loooooooooong time xwhistlex

McNeeserocket
September 29th, 2008, 06:17 PM

Your right! We probably should not even go to South Dakota. We really never like to play tough football games anyway. We much rather play all the Southland teams and make it easy on ourselves.

We did schedule three good competitive teams this year - Univ of North Carolina, Cal Poly and South Dakota State. We sandwiched in two non-Division I teams in Delta State (Division II playoff team) and Southern Virginia (NAIA). We were forced to cancel Cal Poly because of Hurricane Ike and would have re-scheduled them if we had a mutual open date.

If our schedule is all fluff it is because we have no choice in playing the conference schedule which allows us to go consistently to the playoffs most years.

I didn't see you guys go after all top 25 competition for your out of conference schedule. At least 2 of our scheduled FCS out of conference opponents are in the top 25 and the FBS team we played is very competitive in the ACC this year. Your out of conference schedule is East Central (must have been tough to stay on the field with those guys), Prairie View (SWAC team who has showed some life the last couple of years), Gardner Webb (exactly what are they ranked this year, or for that matter any year?) and Kansas (a FBS team who has yet to beat anybody impressive including you).

So though I really like Sam Houston State a lot and pull for your team except when they play McNeese, I don't appreciate you calling us a cream puff team when your team struggles year in and year out to exceed the 500 mark.

blackfordpu
September 29th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Man, you McNeese guys are touchy. Do we all have to be in love with the Cowboys or suffer your wrath? Can you not take some criticism?

I'll take SDSU at home.

JohnStOnge
September 29th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Didn't vote because I have a dog in the fight. But as a McNeese fan I'm pretty optimmistic based on 1) how McNeese did against North Carolina physically and 2) how North Carolina has looked since then.

There's not a whole lot more to go on, unfortunately, since the Cal Poly game was canceled. Also concerned about the long layoff...two off weeks then an opponent that didn't really provide much opportunity to work on things. But the way McNeese matched up with North Carolina, for now, makes me think the Cowboys are capable of winning this game. It wasn't just that the score was reasonably close. It's that McNeese actually won the battle at the line of scrimmage against what's looking to be a pretty decent BCS league team.

We'll see what happens.

McNeeserocket
September 29th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Man, you McNeese guys are touchy. Do we all have to be in love with the Cowboys or suffer your wrath? Can you not take some criticism?

I'll take SDSU at home.

I find it amusing that you believe that I am touchy because I defend the implications set forth by a poster from your school which postulates that McNeese has a fluff schedule and has yet to beat any quality opponent in recent years.

I didn't go look for an argument, but when an individual states information in such a way as to disparage the accomplishments of another, I find it necessary to refute such slanted propoganda.

patssle
September 29th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Yep, you have been consistent with your posts regarding McNeese for a loooooooooong time xwhistlex

In fact I have thanks. Go back to last seasons posts, I said the exact same thing.

I didn't see you guys go after all top 25 competition for your out of conference schedule. At least 2 of our scheduled FCS out of conference opponents are in the top 25 and the FBS team we played is very competitive in the ACC this year. Your out of conference schedule is East Central (must have been tough to stay on the field with those guys), Prairie View (SWAC team who has showed some life the last couple of years), Gardner Webb (exactly what are they ranked this year, or for that matter any year?) and Kansas (a FBS team who has yet to beat anybody impressive including you).

We're not debating Sam, we are debating McNeese and your top 5 rankings. If you want to debate Sam, start that thread and I'll freely complain about our crappy ass scheduling. Don't ASS-U-ME that just because I'm critical of McNeese means I won't be critical of my own school as well.

X-Factor
September 29th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I picked McNeese because SDSU is beat up real bad right now. If SDSU gets their starters back and they are 100% to go I will change my pick to SDSU.

JohnStOnge
September 29th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I think that, for whatever reason, McNeese has tended to perform better during the regular season than during the playoffs in recent years. Like they beat Western Kentucky 38-13 during the 2002 regular season and looked very dominant until game 1 of the playoffs. Then they struggled with Montana State and Montana at home. Though I think it was the correct call they needed a close call by the officials to beat Villanova in the semis. And in the championship game they lost 34-14 to the same WKU team they'd blown out during the regular season.

Last year it turned out that nobody in FCS they played was playoff caliber but they dominated Sam Houston State and SFA to a much greater extent than North Dakota State did and beat Southern Utah worse than Montana did. They also dominated a team that beat Eastern Washington during the regular season. And they dominated ULL to a greater extent than South Carolina and Troy did.

But they laid an egg against Eastern Washington in the playoffs.

They weren't any good in 2004 and not playoff caliber in 2005. In 2006 they were barely there. So those years kind of don't count with respect to what I'm talking about.

To me, in the 2000s, if you're another FCS/I-AA team, you'd rather play McNeese in the playoffs than during the regular season when McNeese is in an "up" year. I don't know why that is and I hope it changes but I think it's the case.

h5322rsh
September 29th, 2008, 07:52 PM
SDSU is facing a tough battle from McNeese.

I am impressed with JohnStOnge comments about how McNeese preformed against UNC. I wish we could have had the same kind of performance against Iowa St.

None-the less, its homecoming at SDSU, our team and fans are going to be pumped and ready to go. We do have 5 defensive starters either injured and sitting or possibly playing. We dont know at this time.

Stephan F Austin I understand is picked to finish last in the Southland and we beat them on the last play of the game 50-48. The Cowboys should be aware that we were down 34-6 mid way into the 3rd and still managed to win. SFA seemed like a weak team a year ago, but played a whale of a first half this year in their house. Everyone from SDSU seems to feel SFA is a much improved team this year over last year.

I think we need to play the game. When you have given your alma mater some bucks like I have, you dont pick them to lose.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 29th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Jacks at home.....even with injuries I think it will be at least 10 points...possibly more.

Very hard to go into Brookings and win.

McNeese75
September 29th, 2008, 08:59 PM
In fact I have thanks. Go back to last seasons posts, I said the exact same thing.

Yes you did, right up through the butt kicking the Kats took in Lake Charles.

It's not really that you question the Cowboy's ranking, it just that you do it in every frickin possible thread you can find on any message board available. Just seems bitter, thats all. xcoffeex

Knock yourself out xcoolx

McNeese72
September 29th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Stephan F Austin I understand is picked to finish last in the Southland and we beat them on the last play of the game 50-48. The Cowboys should be aware that we were down 34-6 mid way into the 3rd and still managed to win.

Yes we are aware of it. But we are also aware that SFA after getting up 34-6 midway in the 3rd, questionably (and a lot of us think idiotically), elected to keep throwing the ball. If they had any semblance of a running game, they would have started running the ball and killing time off the clock.

You can take it to the bank, that if McNeese gets a decent lead in the second half, that we will be going with our good senior laden offensive line and running the ball killing time off the clock. We'll be getting out of the spread and you'll see the I formation with a fullback and tight end. You might even see a little of 260lb Terez Jackson at tailback. And, if you can't stop that, you'll be in trouble.

Doc

Grizo406
September 29th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I'm pickin' McNeese in this one.

To echo putter's comment...Cal Poly vs McNeese would have been a fun game to watch!

RabidRabbit
September 29th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I'm pickin' McNeese in this one.

To echo putter's comment...Cal Poly vs McNeese would have been a fun game to watch!

And with the Jacks playing each of these two teams back to back, it will be as close to what would have happened between them as occurs this year.xwhistlex xwhistlex

McTailGator
September 29th, 2008, 10:12 PM

I can not wait until our trip to Huntsville to bury your team.

You are worse than any woman with PMS I have ever seen.

Please go to the record books and see what McNeese has accomplished and what you and your team can only DREAM about.

McTailGator
September 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM
SDSU in a blow out

It will be a Blow Out.

But SDSU will loose by 3 +TD's.

They gave up over 40 to the worse team in the SLC last week in SFA.

And McNeese has a pretty good D and THE best offense in the SLC, with an efficent and loaded passing game and pretty good running game.

Make no mistake about it. If you thought SFA had speed, you were caught in a time warp.

McNeese has 3 wide outs with 4-3 speed or BETTER (one with 4.26 speed). Our tight ends are outstanding blockers and have grit and speed.

McNeese has been waiting for a month to unleash it's offensive firepower. This will be the week it happens.

45-17 Pokes.

Chi Panther
September 29th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I picked SDSU eventhough MSU is my second favorite team in FCS (love those games in the 90s).

Brookings is just a long travel...and tough place to play.

Good Luck to both teamsxbowx

X-Factor
September 29th, 2008, 11:13 PM
It will be a Blow Out.

And McNeese has a pretty good D and THE best offense in the SLC, with an efficent and loaded passing game and pretty good running game.

Make no mistake about it. If you thought SFA had speed, you were caught in a time warp.

McNeese has 3 wide outs with 4-3 speed or BETTER (one with 4.26 speed). Our tight ends are outstanding blockers and have grit and speed.

McNeese has been waiting for a month to unleash it's offensive firepower. This will be the week it happens.

45-17 Pokes.

Wow that is some smack if I have ever seen it. Your going to walk into CAS and beat SDSU by 4 scores...xrolleyesx

If by some freak of nature your absurd prediction comes true, I'll have McNeese a lock for 1st place in my AGS ballot.

Retro
September 29th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Wow that is some smack if I have ever seen it. Your going to walk into CAS and beat SDSU by 4 scores...xrolleyesx

If by some freak of nature your absurd prediction comes true, I'll have McNeese a lock for 1st place in my AGS ballot.

It's not smack if you can back it up, unlike those SWAC posters!.. xwhistlex

I saw SDSU play againest Iowa State and they looked awful againest what is traditionally a bad team and they were in a dogfight with SFA, the clear worst team in the SLC.. xoopsx

Too many people are basing their predictions on Mcneese's loss to EWU last season and SDSU's victory over Mcneese in 2006, when Mcneese had a hungover coach and a black cat sealed our fate! lol

Lionsrking
September 30th, 2008, 12:16 AM

McTailGator and I rarely agree on much but this is one time I'll take his back...McNeese has outstanding speed at the skill positions and for SDSU to win, they'll have score as much as they did last week.

TheRiver
September 30th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Pokes all the way

jackmd
September 30th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Lets look at a few quick facts, SDSU 18-4 at home since the move to FCS, thats against several ranked teams with the losses coming against top 25 teams. We don't need to discuss our record or the record of our conference mate NDSU against the SLC, thats been covered.

SDSU has played poorly the last 3 games and managed to come away with 2 wins. We were dominated on the LOS at UNI and looked confused for nearly 3 quarters against a poor SFA team. We still managed the greatest comeback in MVFC history.

McNeese got rolled against a supposedly lesser opponent in the first round last year and hasn't played a FCS opponent yet this year. Numbers looked good against UNC but its the final score that counts.

So, I think it anybody's game and when thats the case I like the team with the homefield advantage. Our coaches and players are not going to take McNeese lightly. I think the Cowboys might take us a little lightly. Regardless, its going to be a battle on a beautiful South Dakota fall day. Going to do a little quail hunting later this week and then a little duck hunting in the morning before the game Saturday at 2 pm. Looking forward to seeing a few Cowboy fans in the backyard. Our setup is nothing like what they have at MSU but it works for us.

McNeese72
September 30th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I think the Cowboys might take us a little lightly. Regardless, its going to be a battle on a beautiful South Dakota fall day. Going to do a little quail hunting later this week and then a little duck hunting in the morning before the game Saturday at 2 pm. Looking forward to seeing a few Cowboy fans in the backyard. Our setup is nothing like what they have at MSU but it works for us.

Some of the McNeese fans might take the Jacks lightly but I assure you that Matt Viator is not and will not let the players do so. There is no telling how long Matt has been looking at SDSU film and I'm sure the players have seen a lot also. They will know for sure what they are up against.

Should be a good game. I hope to see you in the tailgate area. I'm hungry already. :)

Doc

McNeese75
September 30th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Doc has it right. Regardless of some of the previous pseudo smack you can bet the farm the Cowboy coaching staff will have this team focused and ready to play. They realize the environment they are walking into and will be mentally and certainly physically prepared for the battle. Like Doc mentioned, Matt Viator (head coach) has probably been looking at SDSU film since last year (and I am not talking about recently watching last years games, I mean actually watching and thinking about this game over a year ago)

Can't Wait!!!!

RabidRabbit
September 30th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Doc has it right. Regardless of some of the previous pseudo smack you can bet the farm the Cowboy coaching staff will have this team focused and ready to play. They realize the environment they are walking into and will be mentally and certainly physically prepared for the battle. Like Doc mentioned, Matt Viator (head coach) has probably been looking at SDSU film since last year (and I am not talking about recently watching last years games, I mean actually watching and thinking about this game over a year ago)

Can't Wait!!!!

Isn't this the coach who took over from the prior coach RIGHT AFTER the SDSU game in 2006? xconfusedx

If so, you're right the Pokes have had this game circled for two years.

I know that there's 5 games worth of film to watch on the Rabbits from just this year. Pokes, only three, and maybe two that will give the Jacks info about Pokes capabilities and performance. Pokes should be better set than the Jacks on knowing their opponent. xwhistlex

McNeese72
September 30th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Isn't this the coach who took over from the prior coach RIGHT AFTER the SDSU game in 2006? xconfusedx

I know that there's 5 games worth of film to watch on the Rabbits from just this year. Pokes, only three, and maybe two that will give the Jacks info about Pokes capabilities and performance. Pokes should be better set than the Jacks on knowing their opponent. xwhistlex

Don't get the impression that Matt has the Jackrabbits circled on his calendar and that's why he has been looking at that film. He does it for all of the teams. He is a workaholic when it comes to football. His dad was a coach and he grew up with it. This man just loves X's & 0's. He probably dreams them in his sleep.

I've heard stories of him going with friends to a restaurant to eat. All of a sudden pulling out a pen and begin drawing up a play he just thought of on a paper napkin.

Doc

ASUG8
September 30th, 2008, 02:30 PM
This should be a great game. I took McTeam based on their playing of UNC. I still wish that Cal Poly game would have happened.

Staying within a TD of a resurgent UNC team showed me a lot. McNeese by 10.

MSU_77
September 30th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I'm not one to talk smack, and anything can happen, but I don't think SDSU realizes how talented the Cowboys are this year. I was at the UNC game and watched McNeese's offensive and defensive lines dominate the Tarheels. The Pokes had 22 first downs to 13 for UNC, who pulled the game out in the fourth quarter because of the individual talent of one great wide receiver. I don't think the Cowboys will win by 4 TDs but I wouldn't be shocked.

McNeese75
September 30th, 2008, 03:46 PM

xnodx Matt Viator took over Monday following the SDSU game in 2006. The quantity of MSU film for the Jacks Coaches to watch should not even be an issue. The skill positions this year are for the most part just like last year (maybe a little better ;) ) but last year's films along with the three from this year should tell them all they need to know. (lace up the sneakers, the race is on)

Luther_Heggs
September 30th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I've heard stories of him going with friends to a restaurant to eat. All of a sudden pulling out a pen and begin drawing up a play he just thought of on a paper napkin.

Doc

I think about 3/4 the people on this website do that...it's just that we also stand up and annouce to everyone in the restaurant that "this play...in my hand...is the play that will win the next game for <insert team> so you can suck the big one <insert team> because no team can defend my new and improved Fumbleroosky! xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 30th, 2008, 05:34 PM
It will be a Blow Out.

45-17 Pokes.

No frickin way....45-17

JACKS are really tuff at home.....McNeese's ranking doesn't mean squat.

Jacks in a surprise.......well surprise for most on this board......by at least 10

JohnStOnge
September 30th, 2008, 06:00 PM
No frickin way....45-17

Jacks in a surprise.......well surprise for most on this board......by at least 10

Well, I don't think it'd be a surprise. But McNeese winning by a comfortable margin wouldn't be a surprise either.

I mean, why would you be surprised if a team that played like McNeese did against UNC...given what UNC has looked like since then...won by a comfortable margin against SDSU?

Right now, UNC doesn't look like a bad BCS league team. It looks like a pretty good UNC team.

Put it this way: If UNC was playing Iowa State this weekend, I'd pick UNC.

But we'll see. I can understand why people doubt McNeese given the way the Cowboys have played during their past four playoff games.

McTailGator
September 30th, 2008, 08:23 PM

3 injured DB's vs possibly the best and fastest recievers in FCS.

And they let the absolute worse team in the SLC put up 40 on them...

This will not be close.

THIS THREAD ASKED FOR PREDICTIONS...

I GAVE MINE.

WHY IS IT SMACK?

McTailGator
September 30th, 2008, 08:25 PM
McTailGator and I rarely agree on much but this is one time I'll take his back...McNeese has outstanding speed at the skill positions and for SDSU to win, they'll have score as much as they did last week.

I've been reading their boards and papers..

The key defenders that will have to defend our best recievers are injured.

Game over.

And our O-line is just playing very good right now to boot.

Pantherpower
September 30th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I'll go with SDSU at home. Love the 'Pokes and they're my favorite SLC team, but as has been mentioned, the Rabbits are a tough out at home.

McTailGator
September 30th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Lets look at a few quick facts, SDSU 18-4 at home since the move to FCS, thats against several ranked teams with the losses coming against top 25 teams. We don't need to discuss our record or the record of our conference mate NDSU against the SLC, thats been covered.

SDSU has played poorly the last 3 games and managed to come away with 2 wins. We were dominated on the LOS at UNI and looked confused for nearly 3 quarters against a poor SFA team. We still managed the greatest comeback in MVFC history.

McNeese got rolled against a supposedly lesser opponent in the first round last year and hasn't played a FCS opponent yet this year. Numbers looked good against UNC but its the final score that counts.

So, I think it anybody's game and when thats the case I like the team with the homefield advantage. Our coaches and players are not going to take McNeese lightly. I think the Cowboys might take us a little lightly. Regardless, its going to be a battle on a beautiful South Dakota fall day. Going to do a little quail hunting later this week and then a little duck hunting in the morning before the game Saturday at 2 pm. Looking forward to seeing a few Cowboy fans in the backyard. Our setup is nothing like what they have at MSU but it works for us.

Ha...

McNeese lost 3 THREE all americans and their best 2 running backs before the playoffs last year.

NAME ANY TEAM IN AMERICA THAT COULD EVEN REACH THE PLAYOFFS WITH IT'S TOP 5 PLAYERS (3 AA's) OUT OF THE GAME.

McTailGator
September 30th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Staying within a TD of a resurgent UNC team showed me a lot. McNeese by 10.

We should have won that damn game.

Our QB was in awe of their stadium, IMO. He completed only 50% of his passes. He typically completes about 75%.

And he had ALL day long to pass. ZERO pressure.

It was a fustrating loss for me.xmadx

McTailGator
September 30th, 2008, 08:35 PM
No frickin way....45-17

Yes Freaking way...

Stay tuned.

spelunker64
September 30th, 2008, 11:00 PM
McNeese

89rabbit
October 1st, 2008, 04:38 PM
Story out of Cowboy land:

http://www.americanpress.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3179&Itemid=96

McNeese travels to face South Dakota State (10/1)

By BRIAN GUILBEAU
AMERICAN PRESS

For the first time this year McNeese State will play a Football Championship Subdivision opponent on Saturday — barring any hurricanes that may find South Dakota.

This week is also a rare week for the Cowboys in which the normal routine of a game week should remain intact.

"This week we had really the first or second Monday where we came off a game and were reviewing Saturday's game and getting into this week's preparations," McNeese head coach Matt Viator said. "North Carolina and last week were really the only two full weeks we have had."
The fourth-ranked Cowboys (2-1) will need the full week to prepare for a date at No. 23 South Dakota State (3-2) as the Jackrabbits have had their way with Southland Conference teams for the last couple of years. . . . (read more)

RabidRabbit
October 1st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Story out of Cowboy land:

http://www.americanpress.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3179&Itemid=96

McNeese travels to face South Dakota State (10/1)

By BRIAN GUILBEAU
AMERICAN PRESS

For the first time this year McNeese State will play a Football Championship Subdivision opponent on Saturday — barring any hurricanes that may find South Dakota.

This week is also a rare week for the Cowboys in which the normal routine of a game week should remain intact.

"This week we had really the first or second Monday where we came off a game and were reviewing Saturday's game and getting into this week's preparations," McNeese head coach Matt Viator said. "North Carolina and last week were really the only two full weeks we have had."
The fourth-ranked Cowboys (2-1) will need the full week to prepare for a date at No. 23 South Dakota State (3-2) as the Jackrabbits have had their way with Southland Conference teams for the last couple of years. . . . (read more)

WOW!!! That's a well-written, and researched piece! xbowx xbowx

xsmiley_wix If I didn't know better, I say that the writer reads/post here and GeauxCowboys. xpeacex

This will be a great match-up, and can see that the McNeese coaches are arming themselves with all they can for a great challenge game.

JohnStOnge
October 1st, 2008, 06:21 PM
Ha...

McNeese lost 3 THREE all americans and their best 2 running backs before the playoffs last year.

NAME ANY TEAM IN AMERICA THAT COULD EVEN REACH THE PLAYOFFS WITH IT'S TOP 5 PLAYERS (3 AA's) OUT OF THE GAME

I would love to have seen McNeese enter the playoffs with the team it had to start to season...or at LEAST with Bryan Smith and Jamie Leonard.

However, I think the team that was available was capable of a whole lot better than what it showed. Eastern Washington gained more yards against McNeese that night than it gained against anybody else that season.

A spade is a spade. It was a HORRIBLE performance. It left an impression that I don't think people can be blamed for forming.

But it doesn't matter. Saturday is a different day. We'll see how they do.

JohnStOnge
October 1st, 2008, 06:28 PM
What the heck. I went ahead and voted "McNeese." I honestly think that's how I'd vote even if I didn't have a dog in the fight.

Kid Dakota
October 1st, 2008, 06:51 PM
It's not smack if you can back it up, unlike those SWAC posters!.. xwhistlex

I saw SDSU play againest Iowa State and they looked awful againest what is traditionally a bad team and they were in a dogfight with SFA, the clear worst team in the SLC.. xoopsx

Too many people are basing their predictions on Mcneese's loss to EWU last season and SDSU's victory over Mcneese in 2006, when Mcneese had a hungover coach and a black cat sealed our fate! lol

I don't think anyone is basing anything on the 06 game, most of SDSU's main players from then are long gone. Plus no excuses a loss is a loss. SDSU in o6 was just getting their feet wet in AA and was not up to full scholorships blah blah blah. It doesn't matter 06 was just last meeting has no bearing on this game.

You are correct the Iowa State game was the worst, you can't complete 5 passes to the defensive line and expect to win. LOL

I look for a good game and he who owns the line of scrimmage wins.

GeauxColonels
October 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM
I say that the Cowboys win in a close match. I just think that SDSU has been too inconsistent so far this season.

Ivytalk
October 1st, 2008, 08:33 PM
SDSU 24, McNeese 21

RabidRabbit
October 1st, 2008, 09:01 PM
SDSU 24, McNeese 21

xbowx xbowx Listen to our Ancient 8 Leader, it took him near 10,000 posts to reach this conclusion xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx

jackmd
October 1st, 2008, 09:38 PM
We are going to be down 2 O-linemen and 1 D-lineman. 2 of our starting DBs may not play. I think its going to be a tough one for the Jackrabbits to pull off. If we were on the road I'd say no chance. At home, I'd say their is a chance but McNeese has a definite advantage on the LOS. I understand injuries are part of the game and each team deals with them but as a transitioning team with limited scholarships early in the transition we don't have the depth of a team like McNeese. 2 starting O-linemen down means we are very thin on that side of the LOS. If our All-American D tackle can't play our D line becomes just mediocre. Drop out 2 of our staring DBs and we are ripe for a long homecoming game. I'll be there cheering regardless. The guys on the field will play hard and the coaches will adjust. Going to be a tough one for the Jacks.

blackfordpu
October 1st, 2008, 09:58 PM
Yes Freaking way...

Stay tuned.

I know I should be rooting for my SLC brethren but with the arrogance you have shown this thread I hope the Jacks wipe the floor with McNeese.

McNeese75
October 1st, 2008, 10:56 PM
I know I should be rooting for my SLC brethren but with the arrogance you have shown this thread I hope the Jacks wipe the floor with McNeese.

xrolleyesx As if the Kats don't have any over zealous fans xcoffeex

Retro
October 1st, 2008, 11:38 PM
xbowx xbowx Listen to our Ancient 8 Leader, it took him near 10,000 posts to reach this conclusion xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx

For the Record, the Mcneese Debate team beat the Harvard Debate team!xlolx

jmc_jackrabbit
October 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
I'm not offended by McNeese fans who are confident about their team's chances. They have a right to be and, after all, they're fans.

I don't know what to think about this game. We have some injuries but I expect some of those guys to play. It's Hobo Day, and a couple of the injured players are seniors. They're going to do what they can to get on the field.

McNeese has a really good team with very fast players at skill positions. But SDSU is probably a more physical team (Cal Poly's coach says the Jacks are the most physical team they play EVERY year.) The strength of our defense is the front 7, and we actually have good depth on the D-line even if one or more of those starters can't go. Danny Batten and Jimmy Rogers are names McNeese fans should get to know. They're both healthy.

Offensively, we've stalled a few times, but have still found ways to move the ball. Ryan Berry is averaging nearly 300 yards passing. Kyle Minett is averaging more than 150 yards running and catching. We have some speed, too, in Jaron Harris.

The 6-1 record against the Southland tells us nothing about specific games, but it does say we have the ability to neutralize teams rely on a speed advantage.

It'll be tough, and close. I'll take the Jacks on Hobo Day (we've won five in a row and 10 of the last 12 on homecoming). It'll be a nice day, with temps in the high 60s or low 70s. Possibly some wind. But otherwise weather won't be a factor. Sounds like there'll be some MSU fans to go with 16,000+ SDSU fans.

MSU 24
SDSU 31

MSU_77
October 2nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
A little of what we might see on Saturday: :D

Jackrabbit DBs trying to catch Cowboy RBs and WRs

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3231/2907430546_7a6c96e74f.jpg

Jackrabbit QB failing to keep his head on a swivel

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2078/2907430516_c4151478e8_m.jpg

McTailGator
October 2nd, 2008, 09:39 AM

Confiidence

And YOUR TEAM IS NEXT...

JohnStOnge
October 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Jackrabbit QB failing to keep his head on a swivel

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2078/2907430516_c4151478e8_m.jpg

The problem with that image is that that guy isn't playing for McNeese any more. And my personal opinion is that the Eastern Washington game McNeese played without him hinted at how important he was.

He totally changed the game. He instantly gave McNeese a dominant pass rush without the need to blitz.

MSU_77
October 2nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
The problem with that image is that that guy isn't playing for McNeese any more. And my personal opinion is that the Eastern Washington game McNeese played without him hinted at how important he was.

He totally changed the game. He instantly gave McNeese a dominant pass rush without the need to blitz.

Well, I looked for the image of Vaalyn Jackson sacking the North Carolina QB but couldn't find it. The point is the same - our line gets pretty good pressure up the middle.

Bearkat-Backer
October 2nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Confiidence

And YOUR TEAM IS NEXT...

Actually isn't Texas State next? Either way I can't wait! Should be a huge crowd there for homecoming weekend to see the Kats pull off the big win!

blackfordpu
October 2nd, 2008, 10:02 PM
Confiidence

And YOUR TEAM IS NEXT...

Can't wait.....

Kid Dakota
October 3rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
I'm not offended by McNeese fans who are confident about their team's chances. They have a right to be and, after all, they're fans.

I don't know what to think about this game. We have some injuries but I expect some of those guys to play. It's Hobo Day, and a couple of the injured players are seniors. They're going to do what they can to get on the field.

McNeese has a really good team with very fast players at skill positions. But SDSU is probably a more physical team (Cal Poly's coach says the Jacks are the most physical team they play EVERY year.) The strength of our defense is the front 7, and we actually have good depth on the D-line even if one or more of those starters can't go. Danny Batten and Jimmy Rogers are names McNeese fans should get to know. They're both healthy.

Offensively, we've stalled a few times, but have still found ways to move the ball. Ryan Berry is averaging nearly 300 yards passing. Kyle Minett is averaging more than 150 yards running and catching. We have some speed, too, in Jaron Harris.

The 6-1 record against the Southland tells us nothing about specific games, but it does say we have the ability to neutralize teams rely on a speed advantage.

It'll be tough, and close. I'll take the Jacks on Hobo Day (we've won five in a row and 10 of the last 12 on homecoming). It'll be a nice day, with temps in the high 60s or low 70s. Possibly some wind. But otherwise weather won't be a factor. Sounds like there'll be some MSU fans to go with 16,000+ SDSU fans.

MSU 24
SDSU 31

Well put, I agree

McTailGator
October 4th, 2008, 06:13 PM
GREAT job by the Jackrabbits.

You guys did a good job of shutting down our big play capability.

I don't know if it was hobo day, or just because you were playing a top 5 FCS team, but your team was fired up and took it to us.

Your INT in the 1st Q set the tone for the entire day. Had it not been for that play you could have easily been down 21-0 in the first quarter. Great job by your defense, and your offense did a great job of keeping our O off the field.

We fought hard to keep the lead and God himself had to get involved to let us pull it out in the end. McNeese has played in 4 or 5 overtime games and don't remember us ever losing one before. I think our QB's ability to run was the difference here and won the game for us. He had about 280 yards passing and something like 109 yards on the ground. I think those 2 picks he threw kept you guys close and will cost him the SLC player of the week as a result. Of course, you never know what others will do or not do to win or lose that award.

I am concerned with our consistancy and lack of physical play on Defense. It seems our defense is inconsistant and has no personality. I never know what is going to show up on Saturdays.

We tend to over rely on our team speed on D, which is good when you need to make up for a mistake, but I don't want to see any mistakes to begin with.

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2008, 07:36 PM
This game was every bit as tight and tough and game as anticipated.

Good Luck to McNeese here on out. xbowx

spelunker64
October 4th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Wow, just got the kids down for bed and saw the score. Must have been a hell of a game. I'll have to read the post game write-ups on this one.

I did pick the Cowboys though :)