PDA

View Full Version : How far of a drop

nmatsen
September 29th, 2008, 09:43 AM
How far of a drop will UNI have this week? ASU is at #3 with a loss to a top ten FBS team (as does UNI) and a loss on the road to a top 25 team (as does UNI). So, why at the end of the day today will UNI (with a win over a top 25 team which ASU does not have) be dropped out of the top 10? It will happen. Mark my words, there is no love for the Panthers!

89Hen
September 29th, 2008, 09:44 AM
How far of a drop will UNI have this week?
FWIW, I had SIU ranked ahead of UNI going into the week, so the Panthers really won't drop for a close loss AT SIU on my ballot. xpeacex

LehighFan11
September 29th, 2008, 09:47 AM
UNI is in my top 10.

mcveyrl
September 29th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Neither UNI nor UR dropped much in my poll.

Both had losses on the road to tough conference opponents.

BlueHen86
September 29th, 2008, 09:52 AM
How far of a drop will UNI have this week? ASU is at #3 with a loss to a top ten FBS team (as does UNI) and a loss on the road to a top 25 team (as does UNI). So, why at the end of the day today will UNI (with a win over a top 25 team which ASU does not have) be dropped out of the top 10? It will happen. Mark my words, there is no love for the Panthers!
I don't know how far they will drop, they shouldn't drop too far. Comparing UNI to ASU in the polls is not a good comparison, ASU will get a lot of love because they are 3-time defending I-AA/FCS Champs. Nobody will get the respect in the polls accorded to ASU.

WrenFGun
September 29th, 2008, 09:55 AM
The problem with Northern Iowa is that they have wins over a transitional team and a team that was probably overrated (and is currently a borderline top 25 school, IMO), though both by a fair margin. The bigger problem is that Appalachian State returns Armanti Edwards and UNI lost Erik Sanders. I believe they are in the high teens in my poll, but it is entirely based on my lack of faith in their QB. He's got to prove it before he starts getting Appalachian treatment. I don't really think the loss to SIU hurts them all that much, but for me, it was more an evaluation of their overall resume.

WrenFGun
September 29th, 2008, 09:56 AM
For the record, I have UNI #14...

1. James Madison
2. Appalachian St.
3. Montana
4. Villanova
5. Richmond
6. New Hampshire
7. Eastern Washington
8. Cal Poly
9. Furman
10. McNeese St.
11. Southern Illinois
12. Wofford
13. Elon

89Hen
September 29th, 2008, 10:07 AM
For the record, I have UNI #14...

1. James Madison
2. Appalachian St.
3. Montana
4. Villanova
5. Richmond
6. New Hampshire
You forgot Hofstra, Northeastern and Maine in your top 10.

WrenFGun
September 29th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I understand it looks like East Coast Bias (and it probably is), but IMO, JMU, 'Nova and Richmond are 3 of the best 5 teams in the country. UNH is one of only two undefeated major conference schools (the other being Montana). I don't imagine 4 CAA teams will be in the top 6 by the end of the year, but as of now, it's clearly justified.

siuham
September 29th, 2008, 10:11 AM
His top 6 deserve to be there, imo. Villanova maybe not so high yet but they're proving their worth each week.

BisonBacker
September 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Northern Iowa came in at #9 on my poll. Based on the results of the last few weeks the teams in the top 10 have been a bit harder to place then in the past where it seemed more cut and dried. Lots of movement in the top 25 overall with the top ten being harder to place then in the past. Is it just me or have others experienced this? MVFC as some have predicted is seeing it's teams beat up on each other but I'm thinking some of the teams NDSU included have been over rated. In the end everything will play itself out but I'm thinking 3 teams from the conference in the playoffs won't happen. More likely two will be in with the rest sitting home eating turkey.

JayJ79
September 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I think they'll probably be around #10.

But frankly, I don't really care much about any of the polls at this point in the season.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 29th, 2008, 10:29 AM
107 places. xcoffeex

appfan2008
September 29th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I believe I had them around 10th in my poll

appfan2008
September 29th, 2008, 10:33 AM
but for the record after ASU's loss last week I dropped them from first to tenth so I drop teams a lot for losses...

Rob Iola
September 29th, 2008, 10:34 AM
How far will ASU drop if Citadel beats them this weekend?

BisonBacker
September 29th, 2008, 10:34 AM
but for the record after ASU's loss last week I dropped them from first to tenth so I drop teams a lot for losses...

I'd say thats a little harsh dont' you think?

danefan
September 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Depends how bad. Close game I'd see them dropping to 10-12. Blowout, could be at or around 15.

appfan2008
September 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM

15? further?

if that happens we will have beaten nobody of record and be 2-3 getting ready to face the meat of our schedule...

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 29th, 2008, 10:41 AM

It is THE opinion of this poster that THE drop would be quite substantial if ASU is beaten by Citadel.

RabidRabbit
September 29th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Within the MVFC, after this weekend, IMHO the ranking in conference is:

SIU
UNI
SDSU
WIU
NDSU
YSU
IL St
Mo St
In St

If NDSU beats SIU that will lift them to about even with Rabbits.
YSU fell back out after home loss to Liberty.

The question I'm waiting to see is if SDSU gets penalized in rankings for beating a perceived bottom dweller in Southland in a close game.

andy7171
September 29th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I dropped UNI from #3 to #7

bjtheflamesfan
September 29th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I dropped them 7 spots from last week to this week:

1. James Madison
2. Montana
3. McNeese St.
4. Appalachian St.
5. North Dakota St.
6. Wofford
7. Eastern Washington
8. New Hampshire
9. Richmond
10. Cal Poly
11. Massachusetts
12. Furman
13. Villanova
14. Southern Illinois
15. Northern Iowa

(I dropped Richmond 8 spots for losing to Villanova)

bobbythekidd
September 29th, 2008, 11:28 AM
It is THE opinion of this poster that THE drop would be quite substantial if ASU is beaten by Citadel.
xlolx

rep points for you

WrenFGun
September 29th, 2008, 11:30 AM

Haha. Very nice.

FargoBison
September 29th, 2008, 11:36 AM
UNI dropped from 5 to 11 in my poll.

smallcollegefbfan
September 29th, 2008, 12:22 PM

I had ASU #3 and Citadel #14 in my ballot this week. If Citadel beats them then they will move ahead of ASU. Depending on how others play I would drop ASU anywhere from 10 to 15. Citadel would be in my top 8.

smallcollegefbfan
September 29th, 2008, 12:26 PM

I have UNI #12 right now and no disrespect to them but when you win 3 NCs in a row you get the benefit of the doubt. If ASU runs the table they belong in the top 2-3 for sure but if they lose one or two more games then I think the mentality shifts to ASU being considered just a top 10-15 team and no longer worthy a front runner for the NC.

If UNI had won the last 3 titles then I am sure someone from ASU or another school would say the same thing you did. Just goes to show that you can win league titles and be ranked as long as you want but if you win multiple NCs in a short time you will get respect until it is proven you are no longer a powerhouse.

Look at GSU and how they were ranked a lot longer than they should have been after their title days were done because of the respect they received from winning so many titles. Just the nature of the beast and the only way to change it is to beat ASU in the playoffs or for them to not even earn a berth.

Khan4Cats
September 29th, 2008, 02:35 PM
UNI's defense= top 5
UNI's offense= top 15-20
UNI's special teams (minus Johnny Gray since no one wants to kick to him)= top 75 Yeah, its that ugly.

BeauFoster
September 29th, 2008, 02:39 PM
700 points.

Oh, this is UNI, not the DOW. Sorry.