PDA

View Full Version : What was Hatcher thinking?

CID1990
September 28th, 2008, 05:10 PM
http://www.charleston.net/blogs/bulldog_bites/2008/sep/28/Thinking/

The new Bobby Lamb?

alexale23
September 28th, 2008, 05:12 PM
maybe he thinks he is mike shanahan

introvertedGSUfan
September 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evidently it was supposed to be a fake field goal, I think, and there was some confusion after a few players didn't run onto the field. I certainly didn't have a good feeling, nor anyone else in the student section, when I saw that our kicking team didn't come out. Why not let our defense try to step up in another overtime?

Eaglesrus
September 28th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Obviously he was thinking "win the game now". Also obviously it didn't work. I'd say the question is why did he think it would?

jhbeagle
September 28th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I have no clue. Kick the XP and keep playing. We shutout Wofford the entire 2nd half and he does that. 48 hours later it still makes no sense. I thought at one point I saw Vangorder back on side line making that call Really excited about the freshman we have.

ASUMountaineer
September 28th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I heard about this and thought it interesting. I like the call on the road, but at home I think you have to keep playing. Either way I was surprised. I am not looking forward to the trip to Statesboro.

siuham
September 28th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Bleh.

Lennon called a fake punt in the 2nd half. Direct snap to a guy lined up as a RB, pass incomplete that wasn't even at the first down marker anyway.

At the time, we were up 24-14, and it was on our own 30 yard line, 4th and 8. Couldn't believe it.

SoCon48
September 28th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Hatcher still doesn't want to show his whole playbook.xnodx
Of course i don't know what he could have been holding back with an XP. xlolx

RazorEdge19
September 29th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Hatcher still doesn't want to show his whole playbook.xnodx
Of course i don't know what he could have been holding back with an XP. xlolx

Er...he kinda showed the entire playbook to get GSU back in the game. Just about every kind of trick play possible was used.

It wasn't Hatcher's fault. Twice in a row, he didn't have enough players on the field. Once for what, as it was mentioned, was a fake field goal. They took a time-out. The second time, they couldn't take a time out and a player ran out very late and the play failed.

That's not Hatcher's fault for his players not going out onto the field. That's his player's fault. Its unfortunate, but that is the way it is.

eaglewraith
September 29th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Going for 2 was the right play. We had a lot of momentum on our side and both plays were pretty high percentage plays with two options on the play that failed. The call was a pass to the flat that had been open pretty much all game and if that was covered the ball was going to a guy in the back of the endzone (who happened to be open).

Sometimes when you roll the dice you get bit by it. But it's like the lottery, you'll never win if you don't play the game. How ballsy was it that Ayers went for it on 4th and 8 in OT when the normal thing is to kick the FG?

Also, Furman fans may think this takes the go for 2 thing off them, but it in no way does. This was a failed play....not a play that cost us the lead in dramatic fashion. Furman still has that hanging over their heads.

citdog
September 29th, 2008, 06:59 AM
when you hire a division II coach....you find out QUICKLY why he is a DIVISION II COACH. SERVES THE WHITE TRASH IDIOTS FROM PIGS ASS, GA RIGHT! NOT EVEN THEIR CONVICTED CRIMINAL QUARTERBACK CAN SAVE THEM NOW! IN LAST PLACE WHERE THEY BELONG!

BRING VAN DOUCHE BACK! EVEN HE WOULDN'T HAVE MADE AN IDIOT DECESION LIKE THAT!

Seven Would Be Nice
September 29th, 2008, 07:13 AM
He was thinking the same thing that Ayers was when he went for it on 4th and 8 in OT with no points on the board. Had he missed that everyone would be flaming Ayers for being an idiot.

Had Hatcher made the 2pt conversion everyone would be praising him on being ballsy and going for the throat when his team had the momentum.

That's not the way it worked out.

BestOfBreed
September 29th, 2008, 07:17 AM
He was thinking the same thing that Ayers was when he went for it on 4th and 8 in OT with no points on the board. Had he missed that everyone would be flaming Ayers for being an idiot.

Had Hatcher made the 2pt conversion everyone would be praising him on being ballsy and going for the throat when his team had the momentum.

That's not the way it worked out.

Ayers decision made sense. Making the FG was 50/50 at best. Follow that with very little chance of holding the eagles to a FG or less on their possession. He had very little choice but go for it on 4th and 8.

Eaglesrus
September 29th, 2008, 08:14 AM
My biggest problems with the whole thing were that since we didn't have any time outs left, when we realized a player wasn't on the field we didn't take a delay of game and kick the extra point. Also, our bigger, harder running quarterback, Henton, wasn't in at that point, rather we had the redshirt freshman Chapple, who is the better thrower in my opinion, but probably hasn't been under that kind of pressure much, and not at all in a college game.

Seven Would Be Nice
September 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM
My biggest problems with the whole thing were that since we didn't have any time outs left, when we realized a player wasn't on the field we didn't take a delay of game and kick the extra point. Also, our bigger, harder running quarterback, Henton, wasn't in at that point, rather we had the redshirt freshman Chapple, who is the better thrower in my opinion, but probably hasn't been under that kind of pressure much, and not at all in a college game.

I agree. I think going for 2 was a good call, but Henton should have been in. I was on the opposite 10 yard line and I saw a seam he could have cut into for the two, but he got sacked before he saw it.

Appaholic
September 29th, 2008, 09:05 AM
It wasn't Hatcher's fault. Twice in a row, he didn't have enough players on the field. Once for what, as it was mentioned, was a fake field goal. They took a time-out. The second time, they couldn't take a time out and a player ran out very late and the play failed.

That's not Hatcher's fault for his players not going out onto the field. That's his player's fault. Its unfortunate, but that is the way it is.

Sure it is.......it's called discipline, focus and organization.......he's the Head Coach......it may not have been directly his fault, but given the fact that they have just come from behind to go to OT, why weren't his players focused and organized in the OT after scoring a TD? Quit celebrating and keep your eyes on the prize.......Hatcher's a good coach and given his track record, I would imagine there was some a$$ chewing of the players AND asst coaches for not having their players prepared and organized on the sidelines....

soweagle
September 29th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Sure it is.......it's called discipline, focus and organization.......he's the Head Coach......it may not have been directly his fault, but given the fact that they have just come from behind to go to OT, why weren't his players focused and organized in the OT after scoring a TD? Quit celebrating and keep your eyes on the prize.......Hatcher's a good coach and given his track record, I would imagine there was some a$$ chewing of the players AND asst coaches for not having their players prepared and organized on the sidelines....

What makes it worse is we called time out and still could not get the correct people on the field. I put this all on Hatcher. The team fought back to tie the game to give us the chance in overtime. Our coach made the wrong call and should have attempted the extra point and played for a second over time.

SoCon48
September 29th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Er...he kinda showed the entire playbook to get GSU back in the game. Just about every kind of trick play possible was used.

I was kidding. Reference the earlier threads about Hatcher not showing his playbook yet.