PDA

View Full Version : The Georgetown Stadium is Happening

LBPop
April 26th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Construction of the new Multi Sports Facility is well underway. The official ground breaking ceremony is set for Saturday, April 30th, but a quick look will tell you that the ground has been "broken" for several weeks. Footers are in for sections of the stands and there's a lot of heavy equipment on the site. Don't know how much will be done by this fall, but some of you PL fans should drop by if your team is scheduled in DC this season. It won't be large, but it should be an excellent place to watch some football. The next part is up to the players and coaches.

henfan
April 26th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Very cool! It's been a long time coming. Best of luck with the new stadium.

colgate13
April 26th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Don't know how much will be done by this fall, but some of you PL fans should drop by if your team is scheduled in DC this season.
Hey Pop - that's great to hear!

Now, your next job is to find out what state it will be in for your game with the Raiders on Nov. 19th. I could be convinced to make the trip down to see a new facility!

LBPop
April 26th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Just stay tuned to this site (or the PL board) and you will be kept up to date. A trip on November 19th could be a good idea. Gotta be a little warmer than upstate NY.

89Hen
April 26th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Construction of the new Multi Sports Facility is well underway. The official ground breaking ceremony is set for Saturday, April 30th

Pop, do you know if the ceremony is open to the public? I may have to do a little AGS reporting if it is.

colgate13
April 26th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Pop, do you know if the ceremony is open to the public? I may have to do a little AGS reporting if it is.
:p

I can read it now.... "This is 89Hen on the scene at the Georgetown ground breaking..."

:lmao:

89Hen
April 26th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I'm talking full color pictures my man. I know that nobody wants to read anything I have to say anyway.

Marcus Garvey
April 26th, 2005, 01:59 PM
G'town stadium was starting to seem a lot like the AZ Cardinals stadium... I doubted it would ever happen. As it stands, I'll believe it when they play their first game there! ;)

LetsGoNova
April 26th, 2005, 02:55 PM
GUHoyas.com has been posting pictures from the construction site.

Here's one set, and I'll go looking for more:

MSF construction (http://guhoyas.collegesports.com/genrel/031605aaa.html)

LetsGoNova
April 26th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Here's the link to all of the photos:

All construction photos (http://guhoyas.collegesports.com/facilities/gu-multi-sport-photos.html)

henfan
April 26th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I know that nobody wants to read anything I have to say anyway.

That's just not true. I do.

Besides, with your lense, you could save me the 1 1/2 trip down I-95 to see GU's football mecca. :)

HensRock
April 26th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Here is what is it supposed to look like when complete.

At least at one time this was the plan - don't know if things have changed.

http://eteamz.active.com/I-AAfootball/images/georgetown_stadium.jpg

putter
April 26th, 2005, 03:45 PM
That is great news and looks like it will be a nice facility. Now just get more support for the Football Hoyas and it will be a great addition to DC

mainejeff
April 26th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Northeastern would kill for a facility like that.

rokamortis
April 26th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Here is what is it supposed to look like when complete.

At least at one time this was the plan - don't know if things have changed.

A Georgetown fan posted this is the stadium thread ...

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/gu/galleries/multi-sport-facility-030205/stadium1-lg.jpg

Looks pretty sweet.

JMU2004
April 26th, 2005, 05:21 PM
what is it going to seat???? looks like 6-7K?

bkrownd
April 26th, 2005, 07:05 PM
"multi-sport" - will lacrosse be playing there next year? Field looks wide enough.

ngineer
April 26th, 2005, 08:33 PM
:p

I can read it now.... "This is 89Hen on the scene at the Georgetown ground breaking..."

:lmao:
Could be worse--at least there not breaking wind! :D

ngineer
April 26th, 2005, 08:36 PM
This is great to hear. I was down last year for our game and it was pretty bad. I always felt that once G'town got a first class facility they'll enhance their recruiting ability and could become a real force in the PL. So maybe in another 3-4 years we may have the overall league parity we're "hoping" for :( :rolleyes:

89Hen
April 26th, 2005, 09:08 PM
"multi-sport" - will lacrosse be playing there next year? Field looks wide enough.

Yes, lacrosse will play there, I think field hockey too.

Just found the pic...

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/gu/galleries/multi-sport-facility-030205/stadium4-lg.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
April 26th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Best of luck on the new stadium! Never been to Harbin field - my only experience with it has been watching an online broadcast of Lehigh and Georgetown last year. From my warm comfortable office chair (with a Yuengling handy), it was a great place to watch a game!

LetsGoNova
April 27th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I believe the capacity was in the 4-5K range. The space they're building it in just isn't big enough for much more, and the parking situation is horrible on-campus.

LBPop
April 27th, 2005, 11:34 AM

They have invited Georgetown alums, parents, etc., so my guess is that you could easily attend. Someone is likely to ask you for a contribution--make the check out to Hoyas Unlimited. ;) Go to HoyaSaxa.com for details. I'm disappointed that I can't be there, so I will look forward to some unbiased reporting. It seems that 13 will be doing the same.

89Hen
April 27th, 2005, 01:16 PM
They have invited Georgetown alums, parents, etc., so my guess is that you could easily attend. Someone is likely to ask you for a contribution

I sent them an e-mail asking. My wife is actually a G'town Law alum and she actually does contribute a very small amount each year, so I guess they really won't object.

colgate13
April 27th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I sent them an e-mail asking. My wife is actually a G'town Law alum...

There you go again 89, riding her coat-tails to success.
:spank: :p :D :)

LBPop
April 27th, 2005, 01:55 PM
There you go again 89, riding her coat-tails to success.
:spank: :p :D :)
This would be a perfect opportunity to make some obnoxious comment about a UD educated man and his Georgetown educated wife. Of course I would be on shaky ground given that I am an ex-Terrapin. The Georgetown thing is all about the kid. :)

89Hen
April 27th, 2005, 02:25 PM
given that I am an ex-Terrapin

Then you'd also love that she is a UVA grad too. :p

LBPop
April 27th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Then you'd also love that she is a UVA grad too. :p
:eek:

PAllen
April 27th, 2005, 03:20 PM
I see the press box is finished:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/gu/galleries/MSF_031505/img_0038-lg.jpg

;)

It must be true, Delaware must be upgrading their stadium. Why else would they give up their press facilities to a lowly PL team. :D

colgate13
April 27th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I just want to know - is the building in the picture in play? I swear it looks like you could bounce one off of there into the end zone for 6.

HensRock
April 27th, 2005, 03:53 PM
It must be true, Delaware must be upgrading their stadium. Why else would they give up their press facilities to a lowly PL team. :D

We're not upgrading! They STOLE our pressbox!!!!

LBPop
April 27th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I just want to know - is the building in the picture in play? I swear it looks like you could bounce one off of there into the end zone for 6.

No the large brick building isn't in play, but the one in the foreground is the state-of-the-art visitors' locker room. xlolx Actually, that building is facing what will be the main entrance to the stadium. A net is used now at that endzone for field goal/XP situations.

LBPop
April 27th, 2005, 04:08 PM
G'town stadium was starting to seem a lot like the AZ Cardinals stadium... I doubted it would ever happen. As it stands, I'll believe it when they play their first game there! ;)

Can't fault your skepticism. Most people at Georgetown had your attitude. They(we) are starting to believe. I can tell you with confidence that SOMETHING is being built on the site. This photo is more than a week old and there's a lot more in the ground today.

Hansel
April 27th, 2005, 06:24 PM
The rendering looks very nice, it should blend in with the other surroundings very well

Lehigh Football Nation
April 27th, 2005, 10:19 PM
We're not upgrading! They STOLE our pressbox!!!!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
:bow: :bow: :bow:

ngineer
April 27th, 2005, 10:21 PM
They'll still need those nets. That's a big dorm that is just across the street which borders the one endzone. Cap. looks to be about 5-6,000.

89Hen
April 28th, 2005, 02:23 PM
"Although it isn't open to the public per se, we would love for you and
your family to come! I have attached an electronic copy of the text of
the invitation, along with a map. You should park in the Southwest
garage, which is off of Canal Road. The ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m. at
Harbin Field (between the Southwest Quad and the Leavey Center) and will
be followed by a luncheon and a men's lacrosse match at 1:00 p.m.
Consider yourself now officially invited to all three events! Attire is
business casual."

:hurray: I've asked if I can bring my camera. I'll report back on Sunday.

colgate13
April 28th, 2005, 02:30 PM
:hurray: I've asked if I can bring my camera. I'll report back on Sunday.
They might ask to see your press credentials. Can Ralph hook you up? :p

89Hen
April 28th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Where's that story of that guy in CT that went to hundreds of sporting events using a phoney newspaper name to get credentials?

LBPop
April 28th, 2005, 02:41 PM
[i]"Although it isn't open to the public per se, we would love for you and
your family to come!

It's nice to see the Georgetown community being so hospitable to a local spy. :p Now we just need to make sure that the team is not so hospitable to visitors this fall. :mad:

colgate13
April 28th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Mark Sabia (http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/nyc-spfraud0415,0,6820304.story?coll=nyc-homepage-breaking2)

"To the reporters jockeying for interviewing position at players' lockers, Mark Sabia long was assumed to be just another among many microphone-wielding characters from small media outlets who roam crowded locker rooms after games. Monday, though, Sabia was arrested at Shea Stadium while attempting to pick up Mets season credentials and was accused of representing a fictitious media outlet -- Westchester Cable Services. "

Don't get any ideas Hen. Even if your wife is a lawyer! :p