PDA

View Full Version : Higgins ahead of Nichols in Big Sky.

I Bleed Purple
September 28th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Screamin' Eagle won't want to admit it, but Higgins is clearly the class of the Big Sky at this point in the season. I waited until after the Utah game to bring this up since the opponent comparison hasn't been there. Now that both EWU and WSU have played two FBS oppenents, we can take a look.

Per game stats

Nichols--28-44 63.6% 325.25 ypg. 2.5 TD 1.5 INT 3.4% Int/pass
Higgins--20.8-32.2 64.6% 307 ypg. 3.0 TD 0.6 INT 1.9% Int/pass

Nichols passes more on running downs, explaining the attempts and yards per game. Higgins throws more touchdowns on fewer throws, with a better Interception ratio. With the outstanding looking defenses the Big Sky has, I don't see either going below 300 ypg or the comp % going below 63. I also don't see Nichols catching Higgins on TDs and Int percentage.

Thoughts? Disagreements?

Screamin_Eagle174
September 28th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I can't argue with the numbers, but they are slightly deceiving. Two of Nichols picks (1 against TT, and 1 yesterday against ISU) weren't at all his fault... both passes were right on the numbers, but the receiver bobbled the catch and a corner or LB was close enough to come down with it.

They're both pretty close, and there's a lot of football left to play.

kalm
September 28th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Higgins numbers are terrific, but I still don't think the opponent comparison is there. Utah is good, but Utah and Hawaii don't equal Texas Tech and Colorado. And Higgins has an extra game on the schedule against NAIA Montana Western to pad his stats.

Nichols was forced to throw on passing downs against TTU because we were down early. Besides we were never going to rush the ball effectively against two Big 12 opponents. Now that we are picking on teams our own size I'd expect our rushing offense to continue to pick up which means fewer throws for Matt, but more down field attempts and yards per catch. I'd also expect less drops and fewer int's.

So the numbers might be slightly better for Higgins, but I'd hardly say you can call Higgins the class of the conference yet. They're obviously both talented and Berquist should be in the mix as well.

mvemjsunpx
September 29th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Higgins is way ahead of Nichols in passing efficiency, but so is Bergquist. I wouldn't say Higgins is "clearly the class of the conference" at the moment because he's only 4 points ahead of Bergquist in that stat (Higgins is 5th. in the nation, Bergquist is 8th.). Bergquist also has better rushing numbers despite being sacked more times.

Nichols does have the edge in one category, though. He leads the nation in total offense per game.

eagle1
September 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Who cares at this point. I just hope the Eags can get some things figured out on defense or it wont matter how much Nichols throws for. If Nichols can lead us to Chattanooga and ends up being the second or third best percentage QB then so be it. I would take a national championship any day over the best statistical QB in the Big Sky. Go Eags!!!