24 Georgia Southern 544 16
This Week: Sep. 27 vs. #14 Wofford L 37-38
Next Week: Oct. 04 at Chattanooga

25 Liberty 431 23
This Week: Sep. 27 at Youngstown State W 31-28
Next Week: Oct. 04 at Coastal Carolina

ElonFirefighter
September 27th, 2008, 11:42 PM
With some teams having bye's while others having Big W/L or non DI games, there could be lots of movement this week. Whats Yall opinion on this?

T-Dog
September 27th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Richmond will fall to #6. JMU is #1 no questions asked. App will be #2 although it's more due to circumstances. Montana goes to #3. McNeese goes to #4 and UNH goes to #5.

Wofford leap-frogs El Cit. SIU will also get a boost to about 10ish. Nova also jumps up around five spots.

GaSo falls out the rankings and will be fortunate to see them again. EIU and Tenn Tech also fall out.

That's what I got off the top of my head.

santosballnewhampshire
September 27th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Richmond will fall to #6. JMU is #1 no questions asked. App will be #2 although it's more due to circumstances. Montana goes to #3. McNeese goes to #4 and UNH goes to #5.

Wofford leap-frogs El Cit. SIU will also get a boost to about 10ish. Nova also jumps up around five spots.

GaSo falls out the rankings and will be fortunate to see them again. EIU and Tenn Tech also fall out.

that looks about right

ElonFirefighter
September 28th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I dont see Richmond falling that much being its a ranked loss. I also wouldnt see App jumping but like you said its circumstances. 7 UNH is the closest that can jump App and there too low to do it. the others with W's are sub DI and Montana barely did it. Elon should drop, but with our high stat preformance, and the fact the teams behind us had byes, Its unlikely. I agree GSU is gone as well at tenn state and E Ill.

JaxSinfonian
September 28th, 2008, 12:22 AM
EIU and Tenn Tech also fall out.

Make that Tenn State.

I could see an argument for keeping EIU in at 25.

Jax State, NAU and maybe San Diego should move into the poll, in that order.

EDIT: Actually, even TSU could hang in there at #25. They are still 4-1 with an all-DI schedule. Hard to keep both them and the Panthers, though. EIU does have more room between them and ORV-land.

Hoyadestroya85
September 28th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Villanova i think will be boosted quite a bit, richmond will drop significantly
JMU obvious number 1 App St. probably 2

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I dont see Richmond falling that much being its a ranked loss. I also wouldnt see App jumping but like you said its circumstances. 7 UNH is the closest that can jump App and there too low to do it. the others with W's are sub DI and Montana barely did it. Elon should drop, but with our high stat preformance, and the fact the teams behind us had byes, Its unlikely. I agree GSU is gone as well at tenn state and E Ill.

Delaware fell 11 spots after losing to ranked Furman.

Elon needs to stay right where they are. I'd love to be able to say we beat a top 10 team twice in three games :)

KiddBrewer
September 28th, 2008, 01:26 AM
if i were voting....

1) JMU
2) ASU
3) MONTANA
4) McNEESE
5) NEW HAMPSHIRE
6) RICHMOND
7) CAL POLY
8) ELON
9) N. IOWA
10) NDSU

KiddBrewer
September 28th, 2008, 01:30 AM
TSU is out, GSU is out, Nova to 12, Salukis to 13, Central Arkansas down a couple of spots.

th0m
September 28th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Make that Tenn State.

EDIT: Actually, even TSU could hang in there at #25. They are still 4-1 with an all-DI schedule. Hard to keep both them and the Panthers, though. EIU does have more room between them and ORV-land.

You'd think Tennessee State would lose that sole #1 vote now, though xlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
September 28th, 2008, 05:18 AM
if i were voting....

1) JMU
2) ASU
3) MONTANA
4) McNEESE
5) NEW HAMPSHIRE
6) RICHMOND
7) CAL POLY
8) ELON
9) N. IOWA
10) NDSU

And that's why you're not. No EWU? xeekx

jcmanson
September 28th, 2008, 05:57 AM
How much do you think Liberty will jump? I'd say about #21.

Tribe4SF
September 28th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Pollsters need to wake up. Villanova is clearly a top 10 team. Anyone who watched their D at work against Richmond could see that. I had them #5 last week, and will place them #3 this week.

Hoyadestroya85
September 28th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Pollsters need to wake up. Villanova is clearly a top 10 team. Anyone who watched their D at work against Richmond could see that. I had them #5 last week, and will place them #3 this week.

while it is true Villanova is probably a top 10 team now.. I don't think that the sportswriters will see a dominant victory over the team they voted number one the previous week necessitates that sort of jump xeyebrowx

ElonFirefighter
September 28th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Delaware fell 11 spots after losing to ranked Furman.

Elon needs to stay right where they are. I'd love to be able to say we beat a top 10 team twice in three games :)

Theres just one problem you've got to beat us.xsmiley_wix

danefan
September 28th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Make that Tenn State.

Why in the world should San Diego be in the Top 25? They've got 4 wins against horrendous teams. And only 3 against FCS competition. Their FCS wins are over teams with 4 wins combined and only 2 against FCS teams. Their fourth win is over Azusa Pacific who is a 1-4 NAIA team.

Thus, no way to rank San Diego.

JaxSinfonian
September 28th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Why in the world should San Diego be in the Top 25? They've got 4 wins against horrendous teams. And only 3 against FCS competition. Their FCS wins are over teams with 4 wins combined and only 2 against FCS teams. Their fourth win is over Azusa Pacific who is a 1-4 NAIA team.

Thus, no way to rank San Diego.

I just went through the "others receiving votes" category, in order, with the top three winners getting consideration, assuming as many as three would slip out of the poll. I'm suggesting that USD maybe should get ranked #24 or #25, not advocating them for the BCS title game.

Perhaps you'd like to suggest another, more deserving team for that potential third poll slot?

Of course, now that you mention it, UT-Martin's accomplishments are as good as and likely better than San Diego's; for consistency's sake, they should be getting as many votes as the Toreros. Maybe they should get that third spot. ;)

WildCat In The Hat
September 28th, 2008, 09:06 AM
One fans opinion:

1-JMU
2-App
3-McNeese
4-UNH
5-Elon
6-Richmond
7-Southern Illinois
8-Nothern Iowa
9-Villanova
10-Montana (gotta beat a DII team by more than a last minute field goal-even a good DII team)

(top 10 fringe-Cal Poly, Eastern Wash, ND State)

ElonFirefighter
September 28th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Richmond will not drop below us. We did not play well this weekend and Richmond beat us in week one. While Id love to be in the top 5 it aint going to happen

Tailbone
September 28th, 2008, 09:56 AM
One fans opinion:

1-JMU
2-App
3-McNeese
4-UNH
5-Elon
6-Richmond
7-Southern Illinois
8-Nothern Iowa
9-Villanova
10-Montana (gotta beat a DII team by more than a last minute field goal-even a good DII team)

UNH? Seriously?

The wildcat wins are against teams with a combined record of 2-12.
Those two wins, against teams whose only victories are against Monmouth, Stonybrook, and Rhode Island.

If Montana's 4 wins are in some way less noteworthy than New Hampshires, I'd be interested in hearing the reason.

Montana OOC: Cal Poly, UC Davis, Southern Utah, Central Washington
UNH OOC: Dartmouth, Albany, Rhode Island, Army

I'm not suggesting that UNH is undeserving of any poll position given, just questioning the double standard. 3 point wins over Monmouth and RI are as another Wildcat fan stated..."unimpressive".

th0m
September 28th, 2008, 10:05 AM

I have every faith in the fact that EWU will make the playoffs and possibly even grab the Big Sky title (or a share of it), but at this point with wins over a DII and Idaho State and, okay, respectable losses vs. two FBS opponents, you will climb into the top 10 as you keep winning. But right now I don't think not having EWU in there is really a big omission. Of course, McNeese has shown even less, but they started higher up in the poll.

ASUG8
September 28th, 2008, 10:06 AM
UNH? Seriously?

Those two wins, against teams whose only victories are against Monmouth, Stonybrook, and Rhode Island.

If Montana's 4 wins are in some way less noteworthy than New Hampshires, I'd be interested in hearing the reason.

I'm not suggesting that UNH is undeserving of any poll position given, just questioning the double standard. 3 point wins over Monmouth and RI are as another Wildcat fan stated..."unimpressive".

Yep, you have to flip Elon/Richmond, Montana is a top 5-7 team, and why EWU isn't top 10 I don't understand.

Saint3333
September 28th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Richmond will not drop below us. We did not play well this weekend and Richmond beat us in week one. While Id love to be in the top 5 it aint going to happen

Three top 10 tens struggled to beat inferior teams: ASU, Montana, and Elon so I have some questions.

What happened in the Elon - Samford game, I expected Elon to win by 21+?

Montana same question.

ASU tried to fit a square peg (our passing game) into a round hole (we are a running team) for the first half. And our secondary is talented, but young at this point.

uofmman1122
September 28th, 2008, 10:21 AM
It's been a super weird season, and the #1 team has lost the last two weeks in a row.

As I said in another thread, I had a really hard time with my top 25 this week.

katstrapper
September 28th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I think SHSU should crack top25. Bomar is leading the charge.xcoffeex

patssle
September 28th, 2008, 10:23 AM
One fans opinion:

1-JMU
2-App
3-McNeese
4-UNH
5-Elon
6-Richmond
7-Southern Illinois
8-Nothern Iowa
9-Villanova

So McNeese deserves a #3 ranking for 2 wins over D2 and 1 FBS loss?

Tailbone
September 28th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Three top 10 tens struggled to beat inferior teams: ASU, Montana, and Elon so I have some questions.

Montana same question.

ASU tried to fit a square peg (our passing game) into a round hole (we are a running team) for the first half. And our secondary is talented, but young at this point.

5 turnovers, 92 yards in penalties, overconfidence?, an opponent with 11 D1 players (drop-downs) including several NFL prospects, upset saturday.
Pick any or pick all. This was an ugly but exciting game.
In the final analysis, all that matters is that it is a win....this weekend, there are a lot of Div1 teams that can't make that claim.

ElonFirefighter
September 28th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Montana same question.

We had an off game. Could be we overlooked them to furman or since they only played 2 DII and a FCS we were unable to get a good read on them. We had the stats just did not make the plays when we needed to. A wins a win, but I hope the coach lights a fire under this team and next weeks preformence is better

Appguy
September 28th, 2008, 10:51 AM

barely beating Penn makes me think they wont be consistently beating good teams the rest of the way. At least we can find out october 25th, november 8th, and november 22nd which isnt the case for some of the other teams with weak schedules.

McNeeserocket
September 28th, 2008, 11:31 AM

I think most McNeese fans would say that ranking them at all this point could only be based on previous years' rankings. McNeese has yet to play a FCS team. Most McNeese fans could care less where we are ranked at this point and honestly, we couldn't tell you where to rank us today.

However, that being said, most McNeese fans would tell you we are happy with what we have seen this year. Those of us who went to the Univ. of North Carolina game were very impressed with what we saw (and so was UNC). We lost by one touchdown, but dominated the game in all statistics but the score (UNC has only one loss and just beat Miami yesterday. There one loss came against Virginia TECH when UNC's QB was hurt). Our other two wins give us some incite into how are offense and defense are working.

Of course, we really wanted to play the Cal Poly game that was cancelled due to Hurricane Ike. That game may have given us a better incite into how we stack up against FCS ranked teams (We would have loved the income from a sell out game also). We will get a chance to see how we stack up this coming weekend when we travel to South Dakota State. After that game, we start conference play and the fun begins. Every game in conference is a mine field.

Rankings at this point for McNeese really don't matter. Come November rankings will matter, and you may see McNeese fans take an interest in how they are ranked at that point.

katstrapper
September 28th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I think most McNeese fans would say that ranking them at all this point could only be based on previous years' rankings. McNeese has yet to play a FCS team. Most McNeese fans could care less where we are ranked at this point and honestly, we couldn't tell you where to rank us today.

However, that being said, most McNeese fans would tell you we are happy with what we have seen this year. Those of us who went to the Univ. of North Carolina game were very impressed with what we saw (and so was UNC). We lost by one touchdown, but dominated the game in all statistics but the score (UNC has only one loss and just beat Miami yesterday. There one loss came against Virginia TECH when UNC's QB was hurt). Our other two wins give us some incite into how are offense and defenses are working.

Of course, we really wanted to play the Cal Poly game that was cancelled due to Hurricane Ike. That game may have given us a better incite into how we stack up against FCS ranked teams (We would have loved the income from a sell out game also). We will get a chance to see how we stack up this coming weekend when we travel to South Dakota State. After that game, we start conference play and the fun begins. Every game in conference is a mine field.

Rankings at this point for McNeese really don't matter. Come November rankings will matter, and you may see McNeese fans take an interest in how they are ranked at that point.

I have no problem putting McNeese high in the rankings. Just puts a big target on the back when they come to Huntsville in a few weeks.xcoffeex

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I got McNeese very highly ranked in my TSN and AGS ballots...a bit of an SLC homer perhaps, but I had them high to start the year off as well because I knew of the talent returning, how the schedule would most likely play out and such...

The SDSU game will be interesting. If McNeese can really put it to SDSU on the road, that will definitely gain some more attention for the program. Ultimately as said, November is when it matters, especially if the Pokes want as many home games as possible on the road to Chatty...

Hoyadestroya85
September 28th, 2008, 11:41 AM
barely beating Penn makes me think they wont be consistently beating good teams the rest of the way. At least we can find out october 25th, november 8th, and november 22nd which isnt the case for some of the other teams with weak schedules.

In Penn's defense.. they executed their gameplan to (near) perfection. I think we were looking forward to the Richmond game and didn't pay Penn their due respect.
This Villanova team is very very good.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I got McNeese very highly ranked in my TSN and AGS ballots...a bit of an SLC homer perhaps, but I had them high to start the year off as well because I knew of the talent returning, how the schedule would most likely play out and such...

The SDSU game will be interesting. If McNeese can really put it to SDSU on the road, that will definitely gain some more attention for the program. Ultimately as said, November is when it matters, especially if the Pokes want as many home games as possible on the road to Chatty...

I doubt McNeese can "put it" to the Jacks in Brookings.

Brookings is a tuff place to play.....early Oct game....wind, cold...well maybe, 15k fans...adv Jacks.

msupokes1
September 28th, 2008, 01:52 PM

Brookings is a tuff place to play.....early Oct game....wind, cold...well maybe, 15k fans...adv Jacks.

I think it is going to be a good game that anyone could win. McNeese played at North Carolina earlier in the year with 60,000 fans. I doubt 15,000 is gonna be that tough. The forecast for game time saturday is temps in the mid 60's. That hardly sounds like cold. If McNeese loses it will not be becasue of the weather or the fans.

McNeese75
September 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM

xbawlingx xbawlingx xviolinx

santosballnewhampshire
September 28th, 2008, 03:01 PM
UNH? Seriously?

when did URI move out of the CAA?? xlolx

jlcharles
September 28th, 2008, 03:02 PM

In Penn's defense.. they executed their gameplan to (near) perfection. I think we were looking forward to the Richmond game and didn't pay Penn their due respect.
This Villanova team is very very good.

The Villanova Defense will keep us in every game. It's just a matter of the O clicking.

McNeese75
September 28th, 2008, 03:03 PM

xrolleyesx

2:00 game with a predicted temp of 68 degrees. We are from the south but I think we can survive those temps :) 15,000 fans will be a nice turnout but not that intimidating to the Cowboys. It will be Hobo Day but you and I both know this game will not be like a rival SDSU vs NDSU game so I doubt there will be that much of an advantage.

Should be a fun game but I'm not sure the Jacks will be able to put up 50 on us like they did last night. The question may be, can they keep us from putting up that many? :D J/k, I look forward to the visit and I know it will be a great game.

th0m
September 28th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I think it is going to be a good game that anyone could win. McNeese played at North Carolina earlier in the year with 60,000 fans. I doubt 15,000 is gonna be that tough. The forecast for game time saturday is temps in the mid 60's. That hardly sounds like cold. If McNeese loses it will not be becasue of the weather or the fans.

ASU folk made the same claim. They played in front 90k in Death Valley...but had multiple blown calls and burnt time-outs because of a crowdnoise of only 17,000 people at JMU. Fact is a SDSU or other active FCS fanbase will get way more into the game than a larger FBS crowd playing an FCS team.

wkuhillhound
September 28th, 2008, 03:53 PM

You meant Tennessee State. xthumbsupx

KiddBrewer
September 28th, 2008, 04:02 PM

They were 11-13th, and I could vote in AGS if I wanted.xcoffeex

Let's see youre top 10 that includes E-Dub.....

Screamin_Eagle174
September 28th, 2008, 04:32 PM
They were 11-13th, and I could vote in AGS if I wanted.xcoffeex

Let's see youre top 10 that includes E-Dub.....

1. James Madison
2. Montana
3. McNeese
4. New Hampshire
5. Appalachian State
6. Eastern Washington
7. Cal-Poly
8. Villanova
9. Richmond
10. Northern Iowa

KiddBrewer
September 28th, 2008, 05:36 PM
1. James Madison
2. Montana
3. McNeese
4. New Hampshire
5. Appalachian State
6. Eastern Washington
7. Cal-Poly
8. Villanova
9. Richmond
10. Northern Iowa

understandable, but not realistic, IMO. The TSN voters will most likely not make that many big changes in one week.

Tailbone
September 28th, 2008, 06:20 PM
when did URI move out of the CAA?? xlolx

I realized the gaff after posting, but felt that it was an irrelevant detail in making the point. Didn't know if I could make the correction - didn't feel it necessary.

WildCat In The Hat
September 29th, 2008, 07:49 PM
UNH? Seriously?

I'm not sure what you mean by this-we haven't played Monmouth and we beat Rhode Island @URI by 8?
You beat Cal Poly when their kicker missed a 27 yard chip shot field goal at the end of the game and then you beat a DII team at your home stadium on a last second field goal and I am doing you an injustice ranking you at 10? If UNH barely beat Dartmouth at home I'd drop them in the rankings also. UNH has had 1 home game, Montana 1 road game.
BTW, who was you FBS win against?