PDA

View Full Version : Break down the At-large bids by conference

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2005, 09:57 AM
Remember these are at large bids, so they do not count the teams that get in automatically for winning the conference.

Big South (1) [CCU of course]
Gateway (1) [You've got to give them at least one]
Socon (2) [Man oh man I hope we can beat the Paladins Saturday :mad: ]
Big Sky (2) [Bobcats, Grizzlies, and Vikings could all be in it]
A10 (2) [as much as I hate to admit it, they are still the most solid conference top to bottom, if only one conference gets 2 ALB's, it will be them]

colgate13
November 2nd, 2005, 10:06 AM
Remember these are at large bids, so they do not count the teams that get in automatically for winning the conference.

Big South (1) [CCU of course]
Gateway (1) [You've got to give them at least one]
Socon (2) [Man oh man I hope we can beat the Paladins Saturday :mad: ]
Big Sky (2) [Bobcats, Grizzlies, and Vikings could all be in it]
A10 (2) [as much as I hate to admit it, they are still the most solid conference top to bottom, if only one conference gets 2 ALB's, it will be them]

It's an outside shot (and one that I don't necessarily think will happen) but the PL could have 1 8-3 make it. 8-3 Colgate would have losses to two horrible teams, one autobid/ranked team and wins over UMass and Lafayette. 8-3 Lafayette would have losses to Princeton and Harvard and ranked Lehigh, wins over Richmond and Colgate. 8-3 Lehigh would have losses to Delaware, Holy Cross and Lafayette. Wins over Colgate and Harvard.

Very outside shot IMO, but still there, especially if more teams lose that we think will win.

OL FU
November 2nd, 2005, 10:25 AM
Have we given up on Cal-Poly?

Southern obviously depends on this weekend and then no stumbles from FU or ASU. Can't imagine GSU screwing up against Morehead.

I can't remember the schedules but it seems that two from the Gateway is not out of the question. I guess it depends on how the final three games match up.

Three from the A-10 is still very possible.

Unless things change a lot over the next three weeks, this will probably be a very controversial year to be on the selection committe.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
November 2nd, 2005, 10:27 AM
I like the Sky for two. Montana or MSU look good for one (Montana being the no-brainer if they don't get another loss). Assuming they win out, Portland State will only have losses to Oregon State, Boise State (who they almost beat), Montana, and EWU. They'll have a bunch of quality wins over teams like Montana State, UC Davis, and Idaho State, and should be able to make a strong case for a bid.

I think I might lean towards giving the Gateway two before the A-10. Maybe it's the parity, but it just seems... down... other than the Minutemen and the Wildcats.

edit: yeah, I forgot the Great West... what a disaster if an at-large goes to the Big South instead of Cal Poly or Stanford-killing UC Davis.

LacesOut
November 2nd, 2005, 10:28 AM
Still too early to call for me to make an educated guess.

I abstain.

TypicalTribe
November 2nd, 2005, 10:36 AM
It's an outside shot (and one that I don't necessarily think will happen) but the PL could have 1 8-3 make it. 8-3 Colgate would have losses to two horrible teams, one autobid/ranked team and wins over UMass and Lafayette. 8-3 Lafayette would have losses to Princeton and Harvard and ranked Lehigh, wins over Richmond and Colgate. 8-3 Lehigh would have losses to Delaware, Holy Cross and Lafayette. Wins over Colgate and Harvard.

Very outside shot IMO, but still there, especially if more teams lose that we think will win.

It's a real stretch at this point, given the fact that Lafayette and Colgate are both down around 40 in the GPI.

grizband
November 2nd, 2005, 10:39 AM
I like the Sky for two. Montana or MSU look good for one (Montana being the no-brainer if they don't get another loss). Assuming they win out, Portland State will only have losses to Oregon State, Boise State (who they almost beat), Montana, and EWU. They'll have a bunch of quality wins over teams like Montana State, UC Davis, and Idaho State, and should be able to make a strong case for a bid.

I think I might lean towards giving the Gateway two before the A-10. Maybe it's the parity, but it just seems... down... other than the Minutemen and the Wildcats.

edit: yeah, I forgot the Great West... what a disaster if an at-large goes to the Big South instead of Cal Poly or Stanford-killing UC Davis.
UC-Davis not getting a bid isn't that much of injustice, since they aren't eligible for postseason play yet.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
November 2nd, 2005, 10:41 AM
Doh! Right on.

Never mind, then. I don't think Poly's gonna make it without Garnett and EWU and ISU still on the docket, either.

grizband
November 2nd, 2005, 10:48 AM
Doh! Right on.

Never mind, then. I don't think Poly's gonna make it without Garnett and EWU and ISU still on the docket, either.
Before Cal-Poly played us, I would have said they were a lock for the playoffs. Now I'm not so sure. Losing their QB hurt their chances a lot, especially with who they still have to play. Its a shame that they might not get in, especially after last year. Here's to Cal Poly finishing strong the rest of the way.

TexasTerror
November 2nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
No Southland talk this year and I don't blame you...

Nicholls, McNeese or TxSt will get the auto...

blackfordpu
November 2nd, 2005, 11:20 AM
No Southland talk this year and I don't blame you...

Nicholls, McNeese or TxSt will get the auto...

Northwesten St. is still in the hunt TT.

TypicalTribe
November 2nd, 2005, 11:41 AM
Northwesten St. is still in the hunt TT.

Best case for the Southland would be for Tex St and Nicholls to win out, thus giving the auto bid to Nicholls while TSU would get an at-large.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2005, 06:26 PM

I think EWU will get in ahead of PSU. We basically sealed our fate with our performance against Montana last weekend. EWU still plays Montana State in Cheney and OOC games against Cal Poly and Davis. The Eagles win even two of those and they'll go ahead of Portland State, due to how they finished and their history (last year knocking off #1 in the first round).

yosefcity
November 2nd, 2005, 06:32 PM
Bracket Side 1

Coastal Carolina
#1 UNH (A10)

UMASS
Eastern Illinois (Ohio Valley)

GSU
#4 Montana (Big Sky)

Lafayette (Patriot)
SIU (Gateway)

Bracket Side 2

Lehigh
#3 App State (SoCon)

YSU
Furman

WKU
Texas State

Montana State
#2 Hampton (MEAC)

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2005, 09:42 PM
Bracket Side 1

Coastal Carolina
#1 UNH (A10)

UMASS

GSU
#4 Montana (Big Sky)

Lafayette (Patriot)
SIU (Gateway)

Bracket Side 2

Lehigh
#3 App State (SoCon)

YSU
Furman

WKU
Texas State

Montana State
#2 Hampton (MEAC)

GSU at Montana...that does sound like some whacked matchup that the committee would stick GSU in even when the teams are supposed to be placed by proximity...

Ronbo
November 2nd, 2005, 09:45 PM
#2 Hampton (MEAC)

SOS doesn't compute. GPI at #16. Ain't gonna happen.http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/images/smiles/naughty.gif

Chi Panther
November 2nd, 2005, 10:43 PM
Bracket Side 1

Coastal Carolina
#1 UNH (A10)

UMASS

GSU
#4 Montana (Big Sky)

Lafayette (Patriot)
SIU (Gateway)

Bracket Side 2

Lehigh
#3 App State (SoCon)

YSU
Furman

WKU
Texas State

Montana State
#2 Hampton (MEAC)

YSU has two losses and still has to play SIU and WKU....

SIU has two losses and still has to play YSU, UNI and NDSU.....

Dallas Demon
November 2nd, 2005, 10:52 PM
Best case for the Southland would be for Tex St and Nicholls to win out, thus giving the auto bid to Nicholls while TSU would get an at-large.

If both Texas St. and Northwestern St. win out, Northwestern St. will get an at-large while Texas St. gets the autobid.

grizband
November 2nd, 2005, 11:00 PM
GSU at Montana...that does sound like some whacked matchup that the committee would stick GSU in even when the teams are supposed to be placed by proximity...
Wouldn't the game be fun though? GSU-Montana is a rivalry that needs to be played more often.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
November 3rd, 2005, 12:25 AM
In Missoula. In December.

inpsite1919
November 3rd, 2005, 01:02 AM
SOS doesn't compute. GPI at #16. Ain't gonna happen.http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/images/smiles/naughty.gif

We will see. Go Pirates. Go Bulldogs!!! Bulldogs will play Furman first round of playoffs. Coastal Carolina will go to VA to play Hampton

Ronbo
November 3rd, 2005, 01:56 AM
11-1 Buthane Cookman didn't get seeded a couple years ago, in fact they may have hit the road for the first game. Anyone remember exactly?

SuperEagle
November 3rd, 2005, 06:47 AM
11-1 Buthane Cookman didn't get seeded a couple years ago, in fact they may have hit the road for the first game. Anyone remember exactly?
In 02 BCC came down to Statesboro in Round 1 and got embarassed 34-0. (and it wasn't that close). Those guys had no offense whatsoever and if it weren't for us being very generous (substituting starters early in the 3rd quarter), we could've put up 50 or 60 on em'. Not sure if that was their 1 loss team or not but I do remember the game. It was ugly

igo4uni
November 3rd, 2005, 07:18 AM
In Missoula. In December.

Just reading that sentence makes me cold!! :)

peace

igo4uni