PDA

View Full Version : Wofford- GSU

drpnut
September 27th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Wofford is absolutely crushing Ga South 31-14 with about 30 seconds in first half.

I'm listening to the game and GaSouth is getting their A**es handed to them.

furman94
September 27th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Hey look at the ASU JMU game! Not over yet!

ASU88
September 27th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Ga Southern doesn't feel the need to play defense tonight?

Or are the ankle-biters just unstoppable?

drpnut
September 27th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Ga South are trying nothing but pass plays and I guess they see that our Pass D is not as bad as people might think. In Conference games a team has got to be able to run the rock.

Peace

nick9c
September 27th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Sad thing is Wofford is essentially running GSU's old offense against them...must admit, pretty bad looking team...were very overrated heading into the season.

th0m
September 27th, 2008, 07:41 PM
GSU overrated? I didn't know they were rated that highly.

GSUISBACK
September 27th, 2008, 07:51 PM
our defense sucks period
Offense could be better but 14 points isn't too bad

Death Dealer
September 27th, 2008, 08:30 PM
GSU trying to make a game of it!!

furman94
September 27th, 2008, 08:34 PM
score

T-Dogg
September 27th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Way to close! WC has 32 minutes of possesion and GS is still in it. This game is not over. 31 to 21 Terriers, with 13 to go in the 4th!

BestOfBreed
September 27th, 2008, 08:45 PM
31-28 Wofford. Someone perform the heimlich maneuver on the Terriers!

Death Dealer
September 27th, 2008, 08:48 PM
WTF?? You guys had this thing? xconfusedx

ASU88
September 27th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Credit to GSU for not giving up. Found their defense I guess.
\
Wofford about to score??

FurmanPaladins4138
September 27th, 2008, 09:04 PM
This is really exciting--- I can't decide who to pull for...

GSUISBACK
September 27th, 2008, 09:05 PM
God if GSU can just find a d to play in first half of games we'd be good

ASU88
September 27th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Update. GSU had a goaline stand?

spdram
September 27th, 2008, 09:11 PM
game status, time, ball etc

BestOfBreed
September 27th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Looks like overtime

Death Dealer
September 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Holy Crap!!! OT!!!

GreatAppSt
September 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM
This is really exciting--- I can't decide who to pull for...

Can they both lose?

Death Dealer
September 27th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Wofford first up.

Death Dealer
September 27th, 2008, 09:20 PM
incomplete in the endzone. Now a delay of game call?

ElonFirefighter
September 27th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Hard to get a good read on wofford this game. I watched most the game and Wofford looked great untill the end. I still think wofford will be a tough team to beat but can they come through when needed. This could be a very intresting Season

Death Dealer
September 27th, 2008, 09:22 PM
4th and 8 on the 23. TO Wofford.

furman94
September 27th, 2008, 09:23 PM
cough cough Go GSU! cpugh cough

Death Dealer
September 27th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Wofford going for it. Caught at the 1!!!! Flag on play!!

Death Dealer
September 27th, 2008, 09:24 PM
1st and goal. TD!!!

furman94
September 27th, 2008, 09:24 PM
SO INTENSE!

furman94
September 27th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Now its up to GSU!

alexale23
September 27th, 2008, 09:25 PM
score????

Death Dealer
September 27th, 2008, 09:26 PM
TD GSU!!!

furman94
September 27th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Wow!

Death Dealer
September 27th, 2008, 09:28 PM
going for two. no good!!! Wofford wins!!!!!!

furman94
They went for 2 and missed it! Greedy Igglets! Should have kicked the go ahead point to go into double OT!

uofmman1122
What's the score?

T-Dog
September 27th, 2008, 09:29 PM
So Wofford scored first, kicked the PAT.

GaSo scored, went for two missed, lost?

millwoga1
September 27th, 2008, 09:29 PM
great gAME

FUwolfpacker
September 27th, 2008, 09:30 PM
So Wofford scored first, kicked the PAT.

GaSo scored, went for two missed, lost?

Correct.

T-Dog
Correct.

What was the Go for 2 play?

And does this mean the Go for 2 joke can apply to GaSo now as well?

nick9c
You just knew GSU was gonna pull something stupid at the end.

spdram
38-37? Final

FurmanPaladins4138
no offense to GSU, but that was some pretty terrible game management.

GSUISBACK
September 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM
no offense to GSU, but that was some pretty terrible game management.

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xmadx xmadx I'm sick

millwoga1
September 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Did he not try and call a timeout with none left. Can you do that? Just wondering what the rule is. It helped Woff cause he was confused after that.

Millwoch
September 27th, 2008, 09:34 PM
bone head move of the week...way to go hatcher...now you are 0-2 in socon with fu, appy, and el cid left to play....

but thanks...i won my parlay because of you.

theasushow
is gsu's defense, hindsight is 20-20, had they converted, we would be singing their praises for going for the win.

FUwolfpacker
What was the Go for 2 play?

And does this mean the Go for 2 joke can apply to GaSo now as well?

From what I heard, GSU was going for two, but they got a player on the field really late and there was a lot of confusion. Henton was sacked by Goldwire (sp?). I think the play was doomed before it started, although I didn't see it so I don't know exactly what it looked like.

Death Dealer
September 27th, 2008, 09:35 PM
WOW!! 38-37 Wofford! The "Go for two" monkey is now off FU's back!! It has officially been taken over by GSU!

T-Dog
September 27th, 2008, 09:36 PM
WOW!! 38-37 Wofford! The "Go for two" monkey is now off FU's back!! It has officially been taken over by GSU!

Not so fast! It goes for both of you now. xthumbsupx

You'll never get that monkey off your back? xnonox

Death Dealer
September 27th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Not so fast! It goes for both of you now. xthumbsupx

You'll never get that monkey off your back? xnonox

Nah, we gladly pass it on!! xnodx

theasushow
September 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM
well it looks like that failed 2 point conversion made it nearly impossible for gsu to make the playoffs,let alone win the socon.

93henfan
September 27th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Another bonehead move in another game tonight:

Albany pooch punted on 3rd and 15, down 21-7 in the third quarter to Delaware.xconfusedx Certainly not of the magnitude of going for two instead of a sure second OT, but still a headscratcher.

introvertedGSUfan
September 27th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Why, WHY do you try to go for two when our O-Line hasn't been able to hold on every play. Why do you gamble like that? Everyone in the student section was angry when they didn't see our kicker come out and to top it off there was confusion and they didn't bother just taking the delay of game penalty and kicking the PAT afterward.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM
is gsu's defense, hindsight is 20-20, had they converted, we would be singing their praises for going for the win.

I wouldn't have. That was really dumb to put Chapple back there with they way our OL has been. I mean, I can understand calling a trick play (Hatcher's trick plays tend to work) but a generic pass play? WTF?!?!?

millwoga1
September 27th, 2008, 09:48 PM
wofford 534 total yards Ga. South had a crap load too

drpnut
September 27th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Great game GSU... This is by far the best game I've listened to in a long time.

You guys would not quit! At the end of the third quarter TOP was 32 min. to 13 and we really were just beating the crap out of you, but we could not knock you out. I think you are a young team and have a lot of potential.

We have to correct stupid mistakes and work on or REdZone O. I believe you all will lose at least one more conference game and I think we will lose 1-2.

History tidbit: We are the only school in history to beat you guys 3 times in Paulson, 4 if you count the game in '82. Furman hasn't done it, nor App, but lowly Woffy has that wonderful distinction.

Peace

theasushow
September 27th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't have. That was really dumb to put Chapple back there with they way our OL has been. I mean, I can understand calling a trick play (Hatcher's trick plays tend to work) but a generic pass play? WTF?!?!?

aaah well i didnt see the play, that does sound a little unoriginal for such an important play.

introvertedGSUfan
September 27th, 2008, 09:50 PM
aaah well i didnt see the play, that does sound a little unoriginal for such an important play.

Even then, why just not try to force a win in a second overtime. That honestly made me sick before the ball was even hiked.

dungeonjoe
September 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Great game GSU... This is by far the best game I've listened to in a long time.

You guys would not quit! At the end of the third quarter TOP was 32 min. to 13 and we really were just beating the crap out of you, but we could not knock you out. I think you are a young team and have a lot of potential.

We have to correct stupid mistakes and work on or REdZone O. I believe you all will lose at least one more conference game and I think we will lose 1-2.

History tidbit: We are the only school in history to beat you guys 3 times in Paulson, 4 if you count the game in '82. Furman hasn't done it, nor App, but lowly Woffy has that wonderful distinction.

Peace
good analysis drpnut---
our defense plays to the level of whomever we play--- great against USC, marginal against GSU

Reign of Terrier
September 27th, 2008, 10:07 PM
When you look at it GSu's D saved them. Wofford drove inside the 20 4 times and turned it over on downs, fumbled, missed a field goal, and a bonehead call turnover on downs. The last two possesion's play calling was very predictable. Wofford was lucky, if GSU won they'd be lucky too.

There were about 5 extremely bad calls by the refs.

Good gamexthumbsupx xthumbsupx

introvertedGSUfan
September 27th, 2008, 10:10 PM
When you look at it GSu's D saved them. Wofford drove inside the 20 4 times and turned it over on downs, fumbled, missed a field goal, and a bonehead call turnover on downs. The last two possesion's play calling was very predictable. Wofford was lucky, if GSU won they'd be lucky too.

There were about 5 extremely bad calls by the refs.

Good gamexthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Yeah the SoCon refs (at least at our home games) really want to hand out penalties this year. You guys played really well that first half. I'm so happy that our defense stepped up when it counted, but we should have looked to them for another set of plays.

furman94
September 27th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Oh... the Socon Refs are AWEFUL this year! Every other play had a yellow bombardment afterward!

Reign of Terrier
September 27th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Yeah the SoCon refs (at least at our home games) really want to hand out penalties this year. You guys played really well that first half. I'm so happy that our defense stepped up when it counted, but we should have counted on them for another set of plays.

The kickoff recovery for Wofford wasn't a good call but was understandable.(It happened too fast)

The ruling that Dane Romero was down on one play wasn't a good call.

But the play about the forward lateral was the worst call and cost Wofford some important points.xtwocentsx

matfu
I AM TOTALLY SHOCKED THAT HATCHER WOULD GO FOR TWO...what a tough loss after Ga Southern had come back in regulation and had a great first offensive play in OT...wofford was the better team but was lucky to win...the 4th down pass in OT...ga southern would not get that 9 out of 10 times.

FCS_pwns_FBS
Does anyone know what the sideline interference call was for? I was at the game and wasn't listening to the radio.

BestOfBreed
September 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I'm just glad the Terriers got the Eagles out of the way early in the season. GSU is going to get better every week.

Reign of Terrier
September 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
When you look at it the goal line play calling was awful. GSU would snuff the middle on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down and what do we do on fourth? Run it up the middle.
I think the GSU "mojo" kept them in the game in the second half.
Personally, I think GSU will take down APP like they almost took down us down (BUT NO OVERTIME).
GSU will be a very scary team in the next few years.

ChickenMan
September 27th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Oh... the Socon Refs are AWEFUL this year! Every other play had a yellow bombardment afterward!

based on what I saw in Greenville.. you won't get an argument from me.

HensRock
September 27th, 2008, 10:43 PM
This game sounds eerily similar to the GSU-Northeastern game. From the score updates I saw, it looked like NU was controlling the game in the first half and built a big lead only to have the Eagles wake up in the second half. Of course, GSU won that one in overtime.

ElonFirefighter
September 27th, 2008, 10:46 PM
The socon refs are always aweful. most of us are in ACC/SEC country the good refs go for the big paydays. we get stuck with the steping stones refs. The good ones move up the bad ones stay here

Reign of Terrier
September 27th, 2008, 10:54 PM
The socon refs are always aweful. most of us are in ACC/SEC country the good refs go for the big paydays. we get stuck with the steping stones refs. The good ones move up the bad ones stay here

At least they're better than the MEAC.;)

onemoretime
September 27th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I just don't get it. Why go for it with Chapple? I don't agree with the call anyway, but with Chapple? I don't know if Henton was hurt or what, but why would risk the game with Chapple. It makes no sense. And on top of that how did Hatch call a time out and not have the right personel in the game. Wasn't that the reason for the TO, to make sure that everyone was on the same page. I just makes me sick to think about it.

FUwolfpacker
September 27th, 2008, 11:04 PM
But the play about the forward lateral was the worst call and cost Wofford some important points.xtwocentsx

Didn't see the game or hear that part, but if you guys got called for a forward lateral...well, you got away with a few in Greenville last year (not that it matterer, yall whooped us), so consider it very belated make up call:p xsmiley_wix .

Congrats to the Terriers. A win is a win no matter how you get itxnodx . Tough loss to handle if you're an eagles fanxsmhx .

Also...SoCon refs suck, but it's usually the same for both teams. One team may get hosed in one game by the refs, but they'll probably get a call they shouldn't have gotten somewhere down the road. So...most of the time, it all evens out.xtwocentsx

Grizo406
September 27th, 2008, 11:05 PM

I tend to think the "bad ones" are in the BSC!

bobbythekidd
September 27th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I could provide some commentary for the game management, but frankly I am drunk and tired. It was an intense game and comeback for GSU. We did not stop the option because we didn't have too. Ayers just ran the ball or passed it. It was very generic on WC part. No need to get fancy when plain works just fine.

The call to go for 2 was the right call. The problem was in the playcalling itself. It was confused and the faked feildgoal call was not executed. With no time left, we sent in a simple (doomed for failure) pass play. We lost.

Hats off to the Terrier players! It is custom for us to play the GSU fight song, win or lose, and the WC players showed the utmost class. Others have mocked it, made grass angles, thrown cups into the stands, stomped on logos, ect. Wofford stood with their hands down and let it play on. True class act IMO. We all should be taking notes on how to act a winner from Wofford.xtwocentsx

More when I sleep it off. BTK

introvertedGSUfan
September 27th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I really think going for two points should have been left for a second overtime, but you're right, why not throw in the bigger and stronger QB?

gophoenix
September 27th, 2008, 11:37 PM

Aren't the all contracted game to game? Better refs get the job for the bigger games (ACC) and it trickles down form there through the SoCon, CUSA, Big South, SAC ODAC, Pioneer down..... the better refs get the better jobs. The conferences just monitor the refs for compliance and complaints?

I am pretty sure the MEAC and CIAA are the only local conferences who keep a staff of refs and officials.

BullDog85
September 27th, 2008, 11:56 PM
You just knew GSU was gonna pull something stupid at the end.

Dern it, the Chihuahuas sneaked by a close one.

I hope the Chicken Hawks make decisions like this when they play usxsmiley_wix

BullDog85
September 28th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Does anyone know what the sideline interference call was for? I was at the game and wasn't listening to the radio.

New rule in SoCon. Refs can call this if coache(s)/team members encroach upon the field of play and the refs do not have to give any warnings for now on.xnonox

ElonFirefighter
September 28th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Aren't the all contracted game to game? Better refs get the job for the bigger games (ACC) and it trickles down form there through the SoCon, CUSA, Big South, SAC ODAC, Pioneer down..... the better refs get the better jobs. The conferences just monitor the refs for compliance and complaints?

I am pretty sure the MEAC and CIAA are the only local conferences who keep a staff of refs and officials.

yes they are contracted to my knoledge, but with better paying gig on the same day the better refs are going to get the FCS games and we get stuck with the others.

BullDog85
September 28th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Nah, we gladly pass it on!! xnodx

It's kind of like the club called the MOB, once your in, you can't get out xrulesx

PhoenixPhan06
September 28th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Not sure about the call to go for 2 in OT. Im my opinon, with such a young team, you go for the tie and send your defense out there to get the stop.

dungeonjoe
September 28th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Didn't see the game or hear that part, but if you guys got called for a forward lateral...well, you got away with a few in Greenville last year (not that it matterer, yall whooped us), so consider it very belated make up call:p xsmiley_wix .

Congrats to the Terriers. A win is a win no matter how you get itxnodx . Tough loss to handle if you're an eagles fanxsmhx .

Also...SoCon refs suck, but it's usually the same for both teams. One team may get hosed in one game by the refs, but they'll probably get a call they shouldn't have gotten somewhere down the road. So...most of the time, it all evens out.xtwocentsx
the call was for a pass past the line of scrimmage.

ASU
September 28th, 2008, 06:23 AM
With a million freshmen at GSU it sounds like the Hatch Attack will be improving, but sounds as if they lost their way in the first half. Seems like a lot of teams are looking completely different from one half to another. Wonder why so much this year?

Laserlips
September 28th, 2008, 07:44 AM
well it looks like that failed 2 point conversion made it nearly impossible for gsu to make the playoffs,let alone win the socon.

tas:

Where have you been all season? I've watched every home game from Paulson stadium and I think most of us who LOVE GSU football have never thought for a minute that our 2008 GSU Eagles had a prayer at making the playoff's, much less winning the Socon.

I do believe our guys are improving bit by bit each game, as our kicking game overall is greatly improved and if the guys wearing GSU uniforms in the last quarter would show up the first three quarters we'd be in business.

This season for GSU is a rebuilding season at best. But just because we are rebuilding doesn't mean we can't sneak in a win or two before the hefty lady sings at the end of the season.

It seems we get about as little love from the fur'ball's on this forum as from any team's fans in the Socon, but luckily we get them late in the season so IF we have any potential at all we might just surprise them. :)

Elon beat us by 2 with 6 1/2 seconds left in the game. Wofford beat us by one in overtime, so I shouldn't think any team would consider us an easy win from here on out.

I was telling the guy seated next to me last night that there is something seriously wrong with watching a team beat US in Paulson using the triple option... xbawlingx

Sorta makes one want to waste the expensive fossil fuel to drive all the way to Atlanta and wait for BVG to cross the street in front of your SUV.

Folks it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that our mighty Eagles have fallen on hard times, but the sun doesn't shine on the same dog every day, so we'll get our turn down the road... ;)

I will say the triple option seems to be more popular every season, and the decision by Sam Baker to hire BVG looks more stupid all the time.

Hopefully no player on either team was seriously injured last night, we had a great crowd, and I hope our fans treated our guests kindly.

Now we go to choo-choo city and see what surprises await us there. :o

Jesse

blueballs
September 28th, 2008, 07:51 AM
What a great game!!!

I am proud of the young Eagle team for not quitting when they were on the verge of being blown out. Wofford deseres credit for winning a tough conference game on the road. I am continually amazed by Coach Ayers.xbowx

The final conversion play was supposed to be a fake prior to the timeout.

GSU had replaced the regular holder (the punter) with the RB who had the 25 yd TD in OT. On the play after the timeout we didn't get lined up right, Hatcher was jumping up and down but Chapple didn't see him and ran the play anyway. The play looked to be a flare pass in the flat but was covered and he had a slant on the other side with single coverage but just couldn't get the throw off.

GSU is a VERY young team and did what young teams do, which is commit 4 turnovers, have FIVE 15 yard penalties (not a misprint) and 3 pass interference penalties. Just like last weekend against Elon, they had a chance to win the game with the opponent in a desperate 4th and long but was unable to make the play and get off the field.

The GSU kids play hard for Hatcher and have a TON of talent... but they are inconsistent and light in the ass on both lines of scrimmage, which are products of youth. They'll get these issues worked out and will be a very dangerous team and possibly a champion in the future, but it won't be this year. I can't see them winning out but the SoCon has turned into a strange animal so I guess anything is possible.

They were two fourth down plays from 2-0 in the conference but stand 0-2 instead.

Having seen Wofford and Elon in consecutive games in person I would say Elon is better due to their pass offense- particularly Hudgins as I think he is a difference maker- but I will never discount a Mike Ayers coached team.

FurmanPaladins4138
September 28th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Dern it, the Chihuahuas sneaked by a close one.

I hope the Chicken Hawks make decisions like this when they play usxsmiley_wix

You're so clever...xcoffeex