PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern Home Opener: 27-0 Win

BJuice
September 27th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Bucs Ready To Be Home At Last (http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/sep/27/bucs_ready_be_home_last/)

(Charleston Southern Head Coach, Jay) Mills believes the Bucs are one of the better 0-3 teams around, as well. "We are a good team," he said. "I tell people that, and it’s not something I say loosely. We are a good team, we’ve just played very good competition along the way."

"We’re very close to being an excellent team in all three phases," Mills said. "We’re arguably close to as good of a team as we’ve had; not quite, but close to it. The heart and mind is there, we just have to finish off four quarters. "The Miami (Ohio) and Wofford games were both winnable, we just did not finish. Now, what’s going to be that extra push that gets us over the hump?"

Today's home opener:

Charleston Southern University 27
North Greenville University 0

I would say that was a four quarter performance. Any time you get a shut out, it is a complete four quarter peformance. Granted, it was against a D-II team. But hey, we deserve a lower level opponent after three very tough away games to open the season.

We'll see what next week holds. A home game against Gardner-Webb. We'll begin to see how the Big South Conference is going to shake out.

Go BUCS!!!

CSUBUCDAD
September 27th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Bucs put on a very balanced offenseive attack and showed some very good ball control game skills. Their time of possession was nearly 3 times that of NGU. Good first win. Now bring on the Big South baby. xthumbsupx

csubuccaneers
September 27th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Go Bucs!

BJuice
September 28th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Breaking Through (http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/sep/28/breaking_through56160/)

This week was about breaking through on several fronts.

1. Breaking through on the win column = Win #1
2. The defense broke through with the first shutout of the season.
3. The offense broke through finding balance and establishing a running game.

"Getting a win heading into conference is big for us," said (CSU Head Coach, Jay) Mills. "We know we have a good football team. We played a tough early schedule to prepare us for league play and the record is not indicative of the type football team we think we can be."

SuperJon
September 28th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I know the record doesn't show it, but you guys are better than expected this year. You're getting back to what made you so successful in 06 with the ball-control offense. Defense still has some holes but you don't build things overnight. If you can get a solid QB in for next year and shore up the defense a little I think next year you may challenge to be in the top 3-4 in the league.

BJuice
September 28th, 2008, 07:52 PM
If you can get a solid QB in for next year and shore up the defense a little I think next year you may challenge to be in the top 3-4 in the league.

Next year? What about this year? I think we can be top three this year.

What you said is all well and good for next year, and I agree. However, I think this year is going to better than people outside of CSU think.

IaaScribe
September 28th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Next year? What about this year? I think we can be top three this year.

Agreed.

Stony Brook is really struggling now. I still don't trust VMI to play defense when it counts. Gardner-Webb has only looked good once this season. Reese alone is enough to make CSU contend for a top 3 spot.

SuperJon
September 28th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Honestly, I can see that. I was thinking that G-W would still pull it out this year. It wouldn't surprise me if CSU played with them. VMI's playing better and isn't a pushover either. PC's the only team not playing that great.

SoccerSmells
September 29th, 2008, 12:35 PM
CSU will give G-W plenty. In fact, I'd guess that the Bucs should be confident of a win in Charleston on October 4, particularly if G-W plays the way they did in the first half Saturday night against Sam Houston. I watched that game on the internet. They miss Mario Brown badly.