PDA

View Full Version : MONTANA vs CWU

Grizzaholic
September 27th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Well the day has arrived. Since I am up getting food ready for the tailgate I might as well start this thread now.

I cannot wait to meet some of thier fans, I think a couple were making the trek to Wa-Griz. Good luck to CWU.

PantherRob82
September 27th, 2008, 06:45 AM
You guys will lose by 40. Hauck wastes toilet paper which killls trees. He's a murderer.

Crap, I forgot to sign in as Wolfman. ;)

Grizzaholic
September 27th, 2008, 07:01 AM
You guys will lose by 40. Hauck wastes toilet paper which killls trees. He's a murderer.

Crap, I forgot to sign in as Wolfman. ;)

You might want to edit that last post. I would bet it is against TOS to have two different screen names.

But I think it will be closer than most people think. I do hope that Hauck gets a lead and doesn't call off the dogs the whole game. Keep the foot firmly planted on the pedal and not let up, ever!

JohnStOnge
September 27th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I think that this is a potentially dangerous game for Montana. I've written before about how D-II playoff teams have held their own against I-AA/FCS playoff teams when games between the two groups have occurred and this looks to be a possible D-II playoff team from a region that's been historically tough in D-II. I think Montana could probably find a substantial number of less dangerous opponents among the FCS ranks.

Grizzaholic
September 27th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I think that this is a potentially dangerous game for Montana. I've written before about how D-II playoff teams have held their own against I-AA/FCS playoff teams when games between the two groups have occurred and this looks to be a possible D-II playoff team from a region that's been historically tough in D-II. I think Montana could probably find a substantial number of less dangerous opponents among the FCS ranks.

Then Montana would be accused to being chicken to play them and buying out games. UM bought out the last two to play Oregon and Iowa.

Pantherpower
September 27th, 2008, 08:40 AM

Montana is obviously off to a fine start, but this game does have an "upset special" ring to it. You can thank me later, Montana fans. Usually, my "gut feeling" turns out to be the opposite, so Montana will probably roll CWU 40-0.:)

JohnStOnge
September 27th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Can't get Big Sky TV to work but looks like CWU is so far giving Montana all it wants. Scoreboard I'm looking at has CWU up 21-14 with 6:49 left in the second quarter.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 27th, 2008, 03:29 PM
21-21 2:47 left in the 2nd Qtr now. Looks like they are giving the Griz fits alright. The 2 turnovers so far aren't helping the cause much I'm sure.

HensRock
September 27th, 2008, 03:33 PM
where can I get internet video for this one?

JohnStOnge
September 27th, 2008, 03:37 PM
where can I get internet video for this one?

You're supposed to be able to get it at http://www.bigskytv.org/ . I was able to watch UC Davis at Montana last week. But I can't get it to work this time.

putter
September 27th, 2008, 03:40 PM
24-21 CWU at half. Man Montana should have had 2 sacks but our lovely Big Sky refs can't throw a holding flag. Reilly got away from a sack and completed a 41 yard completion right before half and that got CWU a field goal.

FYI -> There are NFL scouts at this game and they are all here to watch 3 CWU players, not Montana players.

JohnStOnge
September 27th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Bums me out that I can't get Big Sky TV to work for this one.

Benne
September 27th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Bums me out that I can't get Big Sky TV to work for this one.

I'm having the same problem.

SiouxFootball
September 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM
My Big Sky TV is working. How many others are having this issue?

'neers80
September 27th, 2008, 04:07 PM
i cant get it to work either

CopperCat
September 27th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Mine won't work.

putter
September 27th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Montana fumble on 13....we are shooting ourself in the foot again. I can't remember a game where we turned the ball over so much...

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 27th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Man o man, 4 turnovers? wtf?

putter
September 27th, 2008, 04:17 PM
CWU fumble on their 30! Time to punch it in...my gosh the Griz have well over 300 yards and only 21 points....letting them hang around....xsmhx

putter
September 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM
TD Montana, Chase Reynolds 12 yards. Refs throw a personal foul flag against the Griz after the TD. Montana leads 28-24.

SiouxFootball
September 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Touchdown Griz...28-24

SiouxFootball
September 27th, 2008, 04:24 PM
CWU starting to shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers and costly penalties

putter
September 27th, 2008, 04:41 PM
TD Griz!! 35-24

putter
September 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Reilly throws it up after he is hit for a TD??? Wow. They got a 2 point conversion. Griz -35 CWU 32

putter
September 27th, 2008, 04:52 PM
CWU onside kick and they recover it at their own 48!! Griz are absolutely awful today....

CopperCat
September 27th, 2008, 04:53 PM
xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

As I recall, it was Central Washington that beat MSU during Travis Lulay's inaugural season. And MSU went on to win a share of BSC title. Interesting, history may repeat itself.

putter
September 27th, 2008, 04:55 PM
2:57 to go. 3rd and 10 for CWU on Montana's 30

putter
September 27th, 2008, 04:57 PM
FG by CWU. Tied at 35 with 2:34

alexale23
September 27th, 2008, 05:03 PM
dam what a game

alexale23
September 27th, 2008, 05:05 PM
whats going on any audio link

X-Factor
September 27th, 2008, 05:05 PM
55 yrd FG?

putter
September 27th, 2008, 05:08 PM
55 yrd FG?

My guess is that was to get CWU to burn one of their TO's.

putter
September 27th, 2008, 05:11 PM
FG GOOD!! 38-35 Montana. 1 second left.

SiouxFootball
September 27th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Griz win on a last second FG. Exciting game till the end.

dbackjon
September 27th, 2008, 05:12 PM
WOW!!

This will drop the Griz in the polls - based on the D the Griz has played the last two weeks, they are out of my top 10.

alexale23
September 27th, 2008, 05:13 PM
wow wow lucky griz they better step it up. This kinda play will find them out in the first round again

Griz40
September 27th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Nice kick.

CopperCat
September 27th, 2008, 05:14 PM
FG GOOD!! 38-35 Montana. 1 second left.

Wow. It seems that a good portion of games UM has played recently have been decided by a FG in the closing seconds. That's a lot of nails that have been bitten down to their ends in Wa Griz.

dbackjon
September 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Off to eGriz to watch the meltdown...

putter
September 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Game Over. 38-35. Good win over a very good team. The Griz made a lot of mistakes but hung in there

Griz40
September 27th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I'll take the w and move on to next week.

GOKATS
September 27th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Game Over. 38-35. Good win over a very good team. The Griz made a lot of mistakes but hung in there

A DII team. Playing at wa/griz. Yep, that's a "good" win.xwhistlex

I Bleed Purple
September 27th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Wow. It seems that a good portion of games UM has played recently have been decided by a FG in the closing seconds. That's a lot of nails that have been bitten down to their ends in Wa Griz.

WSU: You don't get to be head of a conference for ten plus years without being able to dodge a few land mines.

BSC official: Well they aren't going to dodge you.

WSU: You don't intend to put us up against them, are you?

BSC: Saturday afternoon, 1 P.M.

Now we just need to avoid the nickel plated pistol for a week. :D

JohnStOnge
September 27th, 2008, 05:41 PM

As I said earlier in the thread, getting tested by a really good D-II is no disgrace. During 1998 - 2007 the series between I-AA/FCS and D-II playoff teams was 8 - 4 in favor of the I-AA/FCS squads but that's losing one in every three. The average score was 29 - 18 I-AA/FCS so the D-II playoff teams have not embarassed themselves by any means overall and I don't think there's any indication that a top FCS should expect to be able to just walk on the field and dominate a really top D-II.

Northern Iowa was probably kept out of the playoffs in 2006 by a loss to D-II playoff team North Dakota. If they'd have played some mid to low level I-AA instead they'd have probably been in.

In 2003 I-AA seminfinalist Florida Atlantic was crushed 45-17 by a D-II, Valdosta State, that lost in that Division playoff tournament's first round.

There are D-IIs every year that are of caliber comparable to FCS playoff teams and I think Montana probably ran into one today.

Syntax Error
September 27th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Good winxconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

A "W" is better than an "L" but not a "good win."

JohnStOnge
September 27th, 2008, 05:51 PM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

A "W" is better than an "L" but not a "good win."

That's only certain because, if it comes down to an at large bid, the FCS playoff committee will put blinders on regardless of how good Central Washington turns out to be and give Montana no credit strictly because the Wildcats are D-II. Never mind that they're almost certainly better than the majority of FCS teams and maybe even better than 80 or 90 percent of them.

Tailbone
September 27th, 2008, 05:51 PM

....says the fan of a team that lost to this same D2 team 45-0 the last time they played....xwhistlex

JohnStOnge
September 27th, 2008, 05:53 PM
....says the fan of a team that lost to this same D2 team 45-0 the last time they played....xwhistlex

Actually it was 31-16 in 2002...when Montana State went on to make the I-AA playoffs by the way...but the point is made.

slostang
September 27th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Montana had 531 yards of offense compared to CWU's 315. Unfortunately they also had 5 turnovers. Not many teams win giving the ball up 5 times. Good teams find a way to win and Montana did just that.

Syntax Error
September 27th, 2008, 05:56 PM
....says the fan of a team that lost to this same D2 team 45-0 the last time they played....wasn't the same team and who cares? has nothing to do with this thread other than your smack.
That's only certain because, if it comes down to an at large bid, the FCS playoff committee will put blinders on regardless of how good Central Washington turns out to be and give Montana no credit strictly because the Wildcats are D-II. Never mind that they're almost certainly better than the majority of FCS teams and maybe even better than 80 or 90 percent of them.who turned you into a D-II apologist? State the facts you have for this statement: "maybe even better than 80 or 90 percent of them" ?????? Because they matched up well with Montana makes them maybe even better than 90% of FCS? If they won would that make them better than 99% of FCS?

dbackjon
September 27th, 2008, 06:00 PM
CWU with 24 schollies is certainly better than all of the PFL, most of the NEC, and probably could do quite well in SWAC, MEAC, IVY...

Syntax Error
September 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM
probably could do quite well in SWAC, MEAC, IVY...include the Big Sky?

dbackjon
September 27th, 2008, 06:02 PM
include the Big Sky?

We shall see how well Montana does in league play ;)

Tailbone
September 27th, 2008, 06:08 PM
.... If they won would that make them better than 99% of FCS?

Maybe. CWU does appear to have a number of NFL prospects (as evidenced by the fact that NFL scouts came to see them play).
There are plenty of FCS teams that can't say the same.

placidlakegriz
September 27th, 2008, 06:19 PM
It's just a little better than the win last time you played CWU. Oh wait, you didn't win that game and in fact had your a$$ handed to you.

CrazyCat
September 27th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Does 2002 really matter?

Syntax Error
September 27th, 2008, 06:24 PM
It's just a little better than ...please keep the smack away, take the W and go to next week. xtwocentsx

Syntax Error
September 27th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Maybe...So you are saying the Griz are better than 99% of the FCS?

JohnStOnge
September 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM
State the facts you have for this statement: "they're almost certainly better than the majority of FCS teams and maybe even better than 80 or 90 percent of them" ?????? Because they matched up well with Montana makes them better than 90% of FCS?

I can't prove conclusively that they're better than the majority of FCS teams but I think it's very reasonable to believe that they almost certainly are.

I know you like Massey's ratings. Here they are:

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf

There are 125 FCS teams. If I'm wrong on that I'm close. By my count, Massey's ratings that consider margin of victory had Central Washington rated higher than 94 FCS teams. I think he would probably say his margin of victory ratings better than his win/loss only ratings. But, in any case, his win/loss only ratings had them rated higher than 81 FCS teams.

I'm not a D-II apologist. I'm just a person who's interested in how teams from different levels perform against each other and I can see that it's not unusual to have D-II teams that can compete with some of the top teams in FCS. In fact, once they looked at the history, I think that any objective person would conclude that the top teams in D-II are generally a lot closer in caliber to the top teams in FCS than the top teams in FCS are to the top teams in FBS.

Look, it's been a while, but there have been two games between D-II and I-AA national champs. They were each decided by 3 points with the D-II champ winning one and the I-AA champ winning one. We've had a I-AA semifinalist beaten 45-17 by a D-II that lost in the first round. We've had one of Montana's playoff teams beaten by a D-II that didn't even make the playoffs. The last time one of the Central Washington program's playoff teams played a I-AA playoff team it beat Montana State 31-16.

I just don't think there's any way anybody can look at the history of the situation and not realize that there are D-IIs out there most years if not every year that can compete with and even beat some of the top teams in FCS.

Whether it looks like CWU is better than 80 or 90 percent of FCS teams at the end of the season remains to be seen. But it certainly wouldn't surprise me if that turns out to be a reasonable assessment when the end of the season arrives.

JohnStOnge
September 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM
The point isn't to smack or anything. The smack, I think, comes when people make cracks about Montana having a hard time with a D-II. My point that an opponent being D-II doesn't mean they can't be a real challenge for a very good FCS team. It depends on how good the D-II is.

JohnStOnge
September 27th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Does 2002 really matter?

Only in that it's an illustration of the fact that a playoff caliber FCS can be beaten by a D-II. Just like 2003 matters in the context of this discussion because 3 I-AA playoff teams were beaten by D-IIs that year.

"D-II" does not necessarily mean "easy." Depends on the D-II.

Syntax Error
September 27th, 2008, 06:31 PM
There are 125 FCS teams. If I'm wrong on that I'm close. By my count, Massey's ratings that consider margin of victory had Central Washington rated higher than 94 FCS teams.... Whether it looks like CWU is better than 80 or 90 percent of FCS teams at the end of the season remains to be seen.....so Massey MOV ratings have CWU better than 75% of the FCS at this early point in the season. You stated other Big Sky troubles with D-II. See a trend? How does that translate into the entire FCS? xtwocentsx

Syntax Error
September 27th, 2008, 06:34 PM
The point isn't to smack or anything. The smack, I think, comes when people make cracks about Montana having a hard time with a D-II. My point that an opponent being D-II doesn't mean they can't be a real challenge for a very good FCS team. It depends on how good the D-II is.The cracks are well deserved, same as any an FBS gets for a close game or loss to an FCS team. Nothing about being a challenge, more about having everything to win - schollies-money-etc. but not getting it done.

JohnStOnge
September 27th, 2008, 06:47 PM
so Massey MOV ratings have CWU better than 75% of the FCS at this early point in the season. You stated other Big Sky troubles with D-II. See a trend? How does that translate into the entire FCS? xtwocentsx

I think one reason there have been Big Sky troubles with D-II is that that area of the country is strong in D-II football. But it's not the only conference. Florida Atlantic wasn't in the Big Sky when it got whacked by Valdosta State. Northern Iowa wasn't in the Big Sky when it got beat by North Dakota, finished 7-4 as a result, and didn't get invited to the playoffs. 2003 OVC champ Jacksonville State wasn't in the Big Sky when it got beat by North Alabama.

I didn't say I was absolutely certain that CWU is better than the majority of FCS teams. I said "almost certainly" and that's my honest assessment. We'll see what happens over the season. But I am certain as certain as I think one can be in football that there are D-II teams every year who are indeed better than the majority of FCS teams.

And, again, we had a I-AA semifinalist blown out by a D-II playoff team just five seasons ago as well as D-II playoff teams beating I-AA/FCS playoff teams once in each three tries over the past 10 seasons. I'm just not getting why anybody would doubt that they can be pretty good relative to the overall distribution of FCS teams.

elboscoe
September 27th, 2008, 06:48 PM
So you are saying the Griz are better than 99% of the FCS?

If the Griz show up, and play heads up football, they are capable of beating 99% of the FCS.

Peems
September 27th, 2008, 06:48 PM
As Slostang pointed out the Griz really hurt themselves today. Quite a bit of holding and 5 turnovers were just mind blowing. Reilly is a real good QB and IMO better than Cole.
Not trying to be rude, but it seemed to me that the Griz were clearly the superior team-talent wise-but couldn't really get it together. Cole held on to the ball way too long and had many chances to scramble but just seemed much too indecisive. Most of this could have been due to the pick he threw when we were in the redzone. CWU played a great game and kept it exciting till the end. Griz win, I'm happy.

grizbeer
September 27th, 2008, 07:36 PM
So you are saying the Griz are better than 99% of the FCS?
125 teams * .99 = 123.75 = top 2-3 team - griz ranked #3, #1 lost otday - does it seem unreasonable that Griz are better than 99%? It seems at least reasonable to say - this wasn't a very impressive win, granted, you would like to blow out D-II teams. Griz put forth a sub-par effort (penalties, turnovers kept C Wash in the game) today against a reasonably good D-II team (C Wash will probably make it to the qtr finals, I don't see them winning the D-II title).

Maybe you were asking a serious question, but it seemed like you were scoffing at better than 99% of FBS teams, but the polls seem to indicates the Griz are very close to being better than 99% of FBS teams. Of course the polls are full of Mountain West Bias, so who knows.

Green26
September 27th, 2008, 07:36 PM
UM kicked a 42 yard FG for the win, with 1 second remaining.

CWU scored on its first possession, hung in the game and came back late--due to 5 UM turnovers (4 fumbles and an interception), and conversions of a fake punt and onside kick. CWU had 1 turnover. UM fumbled the first punt, after holding CWU to 3 plays on its first possession. CWU took over on the UM 35 and scored a TD. CWU later scored a bit later on a fumble return.

UM dominated most of the other stats: 27 to 13 on first downs, 531 to 315 in total offense, and 36:13 to 23:47. UM did not punt in the game.

UM's qb Bergquist was 25-34 for 377 yards and 3 TD's. CWU's Reilly was 21-35 for 280 yards and 3 TD's. Reilly is a very good qb and deserves the attention he is getting, but I thought Bergquist had the edge today. Reilly's passes were shorter passes and swing passes, except for 2 longer completions which came after scrambles when UM coverage broke down. Reilly had 4 runs/scrambles for 4 yards and wasn't sacked. Bergquist ran more and gained some yardage, but lost 35 yards on 3 sacks.

Ferriter and Mariani had 9 and 6 receptions, for 133 and 161 yards. The CWU receiver was 7 for 136, including a 56 yarder late in the game when UM almost got to the qb but he was able to turn the other direction and throw long.

CWU is a very good team, played well, and hung in there long enough to have a shot a win (even though I always felt UM would win). UM played fairly well, except for the 5 turnovers and numerous holding and other 15 yard penalties.

GOKATS
September 27th, 2008, 07:37 PM
As Slostang pointed out the Griz really hurt themselves today. Quite a bit of holding and 5 turnovers were just mind blowing. Reilly is a real good QB and IMO better than Cole.
Not trying to be rude, but it seemed to me that the Griz were clearly the superior team-talent wise-but couldn't really get it together. Cole held on to the ball way too long and had many chances to scramble but just seemed much too indecisive. Most of this could have been due to the pick he threw when we were in the redzone. CWU played a great game and kept it exciting till the end. Griz win, I'm happy.

I guess if I were the #4 FCS team I'd be excited about beating a DII team at wa/griz too.xwhistlex xwhistlex

Green26
September 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Hey mods: I suggest leaving this thread/post alone.

One of the major problems with this site is that the game threads go on and on forever (and apparently some of you combine threads into one long long thread. Viewers often want to see who won the game, and get some analysis of the game. Some of us don't have time to scroll through 10 or 20 pages, just to find out who won the game and was happened. Here's the game analysis:

UM kicked a 42 yard FG for the win, with 1 second remaining.

CWU scored on its first possession, hung in the game and came back late--due to 5 UM turnovers (4 fumbles and an interception), and conversions of a fake punt and onside kick. CWU had 1 turnover. UM fumbled the first punt, after holding CWU to 3 plays on its first possession. CWU took over on the UM 35 and scored a TD. CWU later scored a bit later on a fumble return.

UM dominated most of the other stats: 27 to 13 on first downs, 531 to 315 in total offense, and 36:13 to 23:47. UM did not punt in the game.

UM's qb Bergquist was 25-34 for 377 yards and 3 TD's. CWU's Reilly was 21-35 for 280 yards and 3 TD's. Reilly is a very good qb and deserves the attention he is getting, but I thought Bergquist had the edge today. Reilly's passes were shorter passes and swing passes, except for 2 longer completions which came after scrambles when UM coverage broke down. Reilly had 4 runs/scrambles for 4 yards and wasn't sacked. Bergquist ran more and gained some yardage, but lost 35 yards on 3 sacks.

Ferriter and Mariani had 9 and 6 receptions, for 133 and 161 yards. The CWU receiver was 7 for 136, including a 56 yarder late in the game when UM almost got to the qb but he was able to turn the other direction and throw long.

CWU is a very good team, played well, and hung in there long enough to have a shot a win (even though I always felt UM would win). UM played fairly well, except for the 5 turnovers and numerous holding and other 15 yard penalties.

biggame
September 27th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Reilly is a great QB and I doubt that you could find a better QB at the D2 or FCS levels. CWU has a good team but they do have some problems when you look at the team as a whole. Like most Griz fans have said, they were the more talented team overall. In spite of that Reilly had great numbers and kept the game close, while having less talent surrounding him. He certainly doesn't have a great Oline in front of him.

Wolfman
September 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Don't nauseate me with this stuff about CWU being a great team. They barely beat powerhouses Dixie State and Western directional Oregon. Give me a break. The Griz stunk out the joint today.

They give freakin 20 or so scholarships. We were basically playing a bunch of walk-ons today.

To put this even more into perspective, The #4 ranked Griz barely beating CWU would be equivalent the the #4 IA team (Florida) barely beating McNeese State. Florida would win by 50 points if they wanted to against McNeese.

Sugar coaters need to grow a pair and admit that Hauck's boys stunk the place out today. It was embarassing.

Shellin
September 27th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Most importantly from this game though is how much the Griz really need to cut back on mistakes. Regardless of how good or bad CWU is there is absolutely no way we win a game against Eastern or WSU with how poorly we played today.

putter
September 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Don't nauseate me with this stuff about CWU being a great team. They barely beat powerhouses Dixie State and Western directional Oregon. Give me a break. The Griz stunk out the joint today.

They give freakin 20 or so scholarships. We were basically playing a bunch of walk-ons today.

To put this even more into perspective, The #4 ranked Griz barely beating CWU would be equivalent the the #4 IA team (Florida) barely beating McNeese State. Florida would win by 50 points if they wanted to against McNeese.

Sugar coaters need to grow a pair and admit that Hauck's boys stunk the place out today. It was embarassing.

Montana did stink up the joint today and threw away points with turnovers. Not the best day to be in a Griz uni but they did end up winning, which, in two months will be the only thing that matters. Now they just have to fix those mistakes and get ready for Weber. (Got the kicking game fixed)

JohnStOnge
September 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM
To put this even more into perspective, The #4 ranked Griz barely beating CWU would be equivalent the the #4 IA team (Florida) barely beating McNeese State. Florida would win by 50 points if they wanted to against McNeese..

No it wouldn't, because there is a history that shows that top D-II teams can often play with and even beat top I-AA/FCS teams. A I-AA national champion has been beaten by a D-II national champion before. There have been two such matchups and in neither case did the I-AA national champ dominate.

App State's win last year was the only time a I-AA/FCS EVER beat a I-A/FBS that finished in the top 25. THREE I-AA teams that finished in the top 25 were beaten by D-IIs in one season in 2003.

The team that FINISHED #4 in I-AA in 2003 lost to a D-II by 45-17 during the regular season.

There's not NEARLY as much difference between the top of D-II and the top of FCS as there is between the top of FCS and the top of FBS.

Wolfman
September 27th, 2008, 10:36 PM
No it wouldn't, because there is a history that shows that top D-II teams can often play with and even beat top I-AA/FCS teams. A I-AA national champion has been beaten by a D-II national champion before. There have been two such matchups and in neither case did the I-AA national champ dominate.

App State's win last year was the only time a I-AA/FCS EVER beat a I-A/FBS that finished in the top 25. THREE I-AA teams that finished in the top 25 were beaten by D-IIs in one season in 2003.

The team that FINISHED #4 in I-AA in 2003 lost to a D-II by 45-17 during the regular season.

There's not NEARLY as much difference between the top of D-II and the top of FCS as there is between the top of FCS and the top of FBS.

I call ********* on your post. Why don't you give us the names of the teams from 2003??? .

Wolfman
September 27th, 2008, 10:41 PM
The Griz have always held a huge lead in the turnover thing under Hauck, which is one of Hauck's strong points as a coach. He wins the turnover battle 9 out of 100 weeks. But, things like turnovers have a nasty habit of moving towards mid-line over time. Today, they nearly cost us a game which should have been a blowout.

You are correct in saying that we would have lost today to almost anyone else on our schedule. So, I guess we are fortunate.

Tailbone
September 27th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I call ********* on your post. Why don't you give us the names of the teams from 2003??? .

Steve, don't be a dip*****. If you had been around any length of time (and were capable of paying attention) you'd know that JSO is a statistician and doesn't manufacture "facts" to make a point.
You on the other hand are a washed up prosthetics salesman who knows nothing of facts.xshakingmadx

T-Dog
September 27th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Wolfman, if I were a Griz fan, I'd be ashamed to have you as a fellow fan. I feel bad for real Griz fans who put up with you. xnonono2x

At least MPLSBison is proud of his team.

As for the game, sounds like CWU brought it and Montana had to overcome mistakes and win. It doesn't sound like the best effort from the Griz, but they got the W, which all I was hoping for my team halfway through the 3rd quarter a few hours ago.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 27th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I'm not gonna go into much about this game. 5 TO's and the Griz still found a way to win it. I've said it before, I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss. The Griz just need to fix some mistakes and they will be fine. I do believe working and getting ready for conference play is what non-conference (pre-season if you will) is for right?

Ronbo
September 27th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Hey, we are rebuilding, what did you all expect. Seriously, we pretty much handed CWU 21-24 points on TO's and mistakes. If you look at time of possession and stats we dominated on the field. 534 yards to 315 yards. 27 1st downs to 13 1st downs. 36 minutes to 23 minutes TOP.

They did have a very nice QB to WR combo in Reilly to Spevak.

ASUG8
September 28th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I'm not gonna go into much about this game. 5 TO's and the Griz still found a way to win it. I've said it before, I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss. The Griz just need to fix some mistakes and they will be fine. I do believe working and getting ready for conference play is what non-conference (pre-season if you will) is for right?

Agreed - I want to hear about the UM/EWU game- that should be a great matchup.

Green26
September 28th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Based on this, who was the best qb today:

GrizRchattybound
September 28th, 2008, 12:37 AM
include the Big Sky?

Bobby Hauck said they are a top 3 BSC team int he post game.

The D2 CWU is for real...their QB is as good or better than any QB in the FCS outside or AE.

We are lucky to get the win with 5 TO's and the terrible officiating.

FCS teams are lucky they do not have to play CWU next.

silverdollar
September 28th, 2008, 01:34 AM
griz win. cwu got a big momentum swing after the poorly called fumble/run back for a td. I think the griz never recovered after that. The game spireled (sp) downhill . we have all the componts of a good team we just need to execute. Next week should be a good test .GO GRIZ and smoke those morons,i mean mormonsxpeacex xpeacex

Screamin_Eagle174
September 28th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Agreed - I want to hear about the UM/EWU game- that should be a great matchup.

If we don't figure some things out on Defense and quick, UM will get an easy win. With that said, I think our D has the old "play-to-the-level-of-competition" syndrome. I can't wait until Oct. 11: Richmond ~ JMU. Eastern ~ Montana. Battle of the East and battle of the West. xthumbsupx

mvemjsunpx
September 28th, 2008, 02:21 AM
If we don't figure some things out on Defense and quick, UM will get an easy win. With that said, I think our D has the old "play-to-the-level-of-competition" syndrome. I can't wait until Oct. 11: Richmond ~ JMU. Eastern ~ Montana. Battle of the East and battle of the West. xthumbsupx

Do you guys have major pass defense problems? You did alright against Colorado, but you've been shredded by 2 pass-heavy teams in a row in WWU & Idaho State (who was without Eddie Thompson). Wasn't the pass rush supposed to be the strength of the EWU defense?

Screamin_Eagle174
September 28th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Do you guys have major pass defense problems? You did alright against Colorado, but you've been shredded by 2 pass-heavy teams in a row in WWU & Idaho State (who was without Eddie Thompson). Wasn't the pass rush supposed to be the strength of the EWU defense?

The last two games we've employed weak-@ss zone coverages and hardly ever blitz. When we do bring pressure the opposing QB goes down or throws incomplete. I really don't get why we're playing so damn soft. And yes... it was supposed to be the strength of the D. xbawlingx

silverdollar
September 28th, 2008, 03:16 AM
two words..... shuffle passxthumbsupx

UNHFan
September 28th, 2008, 06:30 AM
The Polls better punish Montana for this game! I dont care if CWU is a DII Power House! 1AA vs D2?? Its not even close to equal 1A vs 1AA Scholarships: 1A 85 Schol's 1AA 65 Schol's D2 25 Shcol's And Montana at home??? No the Grizzlies shouldnt drop out of the pols but if we 1AA fans want to be like the big boys we need to reflect it in the polls. If Penn State beat Montana only 35-28 at Happy Valley Polls would hammer them badly! So chill Griz fans yes your an Elite 1AA Program I know that!! But this is a loss for them!

UNHFan
September 28th, 2008, 06:30 AM
The Polls better punish Montana for this game! I dont care if CWU is a DII Power House! 1AA vs D2?? Its not even close to equal 1A vs 1AA Scholarships: 1A 85 Schol's 1AA 65 Schol's D2 25 Shcol's And Montana at home??? No the Grizzlies shouldnt drop out of the pols but if we 1AA fans want to be like the big boys we need to reflect it in the polls. If Penn State beat Montana only 35-28 at Happy Valley Polls would hammer them badly! So chill Griz fans yes your an Elite 1AA Program I know that!! But this is a loss for them!

UNHFan
September 28th, 2008, 06:35 AM
UNH May have a shot if we see you guys in the play-offs after seeing this! And Grizz fans notice I say "Shot" Again I know you guys are the big boys of 1AA so my above comment is almost compliment!

uofmman1122
September 28th, 2008, 06:58 AM
CWU could have beat 90% of FCS teams. 25 Scholarships or not.

But whatever. Sure, knock us down to 15th or 16th. If FCS teams want to overlook the Griz, by all means, please do. xnodx

UNHFan
September 28th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I cant even respond! To that childish rant! lol OK as the youth of today say But whatever!! lol

Grizzaholic
September 28th, 2008, 07:30 AM
CWU could have beat 90% of FCS teams. 25 Scholarships or not.
But whatever. Sure, knock us down to 15th or 16th. If FCS teams want to overlook the Griz, by all means, please do. xnodx

I think you will reconsider this post after the alcohol leaves your system. The Griz did everything they could to lose the game yesterday. 3 TO's in the red zone, 4 TO overall, over a hundred yards in penalties. The Griz could move the ball wherever they wanted to in the second half but the damn penalties and TO's just killed them.

uofmman1122
September 28th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I think you will reconsider this post after the alcohol leaves your system. The Griz did everything they could to lose the game yesterday. 3 TO's in the red zone, 4 TO overall, over a hundred yards in penalties. The Griz could move the ball wherever they wanted to in the second half but the damn penalties and TO's just killed them.xlolxxlolxxlolx

You're a good man, Grizzaholic. xnodxxlolx

However, the second part still stands. I'd be tickled pink if the Griz dropped to 15th, and everyone started overlooking them, as this UNH guy suggests. lol

griz8791
September 28th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I'm along for the ride, UNHFan. I didn't seriously expect the team to be 4-0 at this point. When they won at Cal Poly a lot of our fans shifted into business-as-usual mode when it definitely isn't going to be business as usual. Nothing will come easy for this team this season and if you want to gloat you will probably get your chance the next two weekends.

UNHFan
September 28th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Thats all I meant. I made so many compliments to your program!! They will and should drop a frew spots thats all... Just the CWU can beat 90% of FCS teams rant was just nuts!! Well childish maybe not nuts :)

Grizzaholic
September 28th, 2008, 07:53 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolx

You're a good man, Grizzaholic. xnodxxlolx

However, the second part still stands. I'd be tickled pink if the Griz dropped to 15th, and everyone started overlooking them, as this UNH guy suggests. lol

I didn't even see the time stamp on your first post. Either you have been drinking since yesterday to numb the pain or just woke up.

uofmman1122
September 28th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I didn't even see the time stamp on your first post. Either you have been drinking since yesterday to numb the pain or just woke up.Yes, since it's just past 7:00 AM in Tokyo right now. xrolleyesxxlolx

It's already 10:04 pm here. :p

飲んでー飲んでー飲んで飲んでー飲んでー飲んで飲んでー飲んでー飲んで。。。

飲んで! xbeerchugxxlolxxlolxxlolx

JohnStOnge
September 28th, 2008, 09:40 AM
The Polls better punish Montana for this game! I dont care if CWU is a DII Power House! 1AA vs D2?? Its not even close to equal 1A vs 1AA Scholarships: 1A 85 Schol's 1AA 65 Schol's D2 25 Shcol's And Montana at home??? !

My understanding is that D-II has some advantages in terms of eligibility rules, etc. that may help mitigate the scholarships difference. Maybe someone more familiar with that can give details but I remember it being brought up when we were talking on the board some time back about why D-IIs have to stay inelligible for the playoffs for so long when they move to FCS.

I guess I need to give up trying to get it through you guys that, whatever one might think should be the case, the reality is that D-II playoff teams have done pretty respectably against I-AA/FCS playoff teams over the past 10 seasons when such matchups have occurred. Except I will say, again, that we have a precedent in which a team that finished ranked #4 in the I-AA polls after reaching the playoff semifinals was beaten 45-17 by a D-II playoff team during the regular season.

I don't know how you guys can see stuff like that and STILL not recognize the fact that D-II playoff teams can in some cases be good enough to compete well with top FCS teams.

uofmman1122
September 28th, 2008, 09:56 AM
My understanding is that D-II has some advantages in terms of eligibility rules, etc. that may help mitigate the scholarships difference. Maybe someone more familiar with that can give details but I remember it being brought up when we were talking on the board some time back about why D-IIs have to stay inelligible for the playoffs for so long when they move to FCS.

I guess I need to give up trying to get it through you guys that, whatever one might think should be the case, the reality is that D-II playoff teams have done pretty respectably against I-AA/FCS playoff teams over the past 10 seasons when such matchups have occurred. Except I will say, again, that we have a precedent in which a team that finished ranked #4 in the I-AA polls after reaching the playoff semifinals was beaten 45-17 by a D-II playoff team during the regular season.

I don't know how you guys can see stuff like that and STILL not recognize the fact that D-II playoff teams can in some cases be good enough to compete well with top FCS teams.Since they're a division lower, everyone will always feel that they are inferior.

It's the exact same thing with FBS vs. FCS.

As much as every poster here hates the stigma that exists between FCS and FBS, they're mostly all guilty of applying the same prejudice towards Div-II teams.

Take away the 5 turnovers, and Montana kills CWU, but the team played well enough to hang with the #4 team in FCS.

It's been a weird season in FCS. I had a hard enough time putting together my top 25, and I wasn't even intoxicated at that point. xlolxxlolx xbeerchugx

Griz0383
September 28th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Did the Griz even punt? Griz are a Young team that made many many mistakes! A perfect game to be off! Total domination by the griz with timely gifts to keep CWU in the game. CWU has play makers and the talent to capitalize on turn overs which they did. Much respect for CWU but critique the stats not the score! Great QB play on both sides!!!! What a ride!

Ronbo
September 28th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Did the Griz even punt? Griz are a Young team that made many many mistakes! A perfect game to be off! Total domination by the griz with timely gifts to keep CWU in the game. CWU has play makers and the talent to capitalize on turn overs which they did. Much respect for CWU but critique the stats not the score! Great QB play on both sides!!!! What a ride!

If someone showed me the stats minus turnovers and asked me to guess the final score I would guess 42-17. That's how much we dominated on the field. CWU had a U. of Washington transfer RB that was one of the top HS recruits in the nation JR Hasty and the Griz held CWU to 35 yards rushing.

No we never had to punt. We drove the field on every drive. The only thing that stopped us was turnovers.

FCS Go!
September 28th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I hear ya UNHFan, the Griz will drop a few spots in my ballot this week. Ronbo's (& others) point is worth noting in that the Griz really hurt themselves with mistakes and timely gifts to CWU. The Griz had over 300 yds of offense in the first half but were still down 24-21! Similar play over the next two weeks will get the Griz two losses.

Grizzaholic
September 28th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Yes, since it's just past 7:00 AM in Tokyo right now. xrolleyesxxlolx

It's already 10:04 pm here. :p

飲んでー飲んでー飲んで飲んでー飲んでー飲んで飲んでー飲んでー飲んで。。。

飲んで! xbeerchugxxlolxxlolxxlolx

How is it that I never remember that you are not in the states. It says it right there on the screen?

UNHWildCats
September 28th, 2008, 11:05 AM
How is it that I never remember that you are not in the states. It says it right there on the screen?
He's in heaven.... my heaven anyway xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

uofmman1122
September 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM
He's in heaven.... my heaven anyway xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolxYeah! The girls here are amazing! xnodx

Oh wait....xlolx:p