PDA

View Full Version : JMU's fall from power

blur2005
November 1st, 2005, 05:50 PM
Here's a synopsis of each loss for JMU and why overall we have fallen off the map:

Against Coastal Carolina: One team had intensity in that game, and that team wasn't wearing purple and gold. The Chants came to win; the Dukes came to walk over a team they obviously thought wasn't good. Big mistake. I personally thought this loss actually was a good thing, as the Dukes then went and smacked Delaware State, Hofstra, and Maine. Guess I was wrong

Against UMass: Playing a good defense, the Dukes just could not get the offense moving. Opportunities did present themselves to win the game, however. The most obvious is the fudging of a punt by UMass that led to JMU being at the UMass 10 yard line with the game tied at 7 in the early 4th quarter if I recall. Alvin Banks then fumbles the ball, blowing the opportunity. UMass goes on to win on a last second field goal.

Against Delaware: Another case of one team wanting it more. Omar Cuff personally reaked havoc on a supposedly good Dukes defense. JMU had too little too late. Even when they knew Cuff was coming, the Dukes could not stop him.

Against Richmond: It was another stud who kept the game out of the Dukes win column. This time it was Stacey Tutt, who at one point scrambled 17 seconds behind the line of scrimmage before making a play. That just can't happen if you want to win games against decent opponents. JMU looked good on exactly one drive the entire game, not counting the last TD drive, which was more desperation than anything. Again, JMU just didn't come to play. I don't know why; it was Homecoming. JMU's lack of offensive identity killed them, as the run would work, then they would start passing with four wideouts.

Overall, the horses are there for the Dukes. We definitely have talent. There's just a lack of intensity, as well as senior leadership. This team is actually pretty young. The two big seniors are Matt Magerko on the O-Line and Clint Kent in the secondary. Outside of those two, we lack the composure of last year's squad. We've lost three games by four or less points that we really could've won. The difference this year is that we aren't winning the close games, we're losing them. The lack of offensive identity is killing us, too. I blame the offensive coordinator in part. When the run is working, we suddenly start passing a lot, and screwing up. The Dukes game is running the ball. Yes, Rascati is pretty good. But we didn't win the national title last year by throwing it a lot. We ran it down opponents' throats to win.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on my poor Dukes.

grizband
November 1st, 2005, 05:53 PM
Here's a synopsis of each loss for JMU and why overall we have fallen off the map:

Against Coastal Carolina: One team had intensity in that game, and that team wasn't wearing purple and gold. The Chants came to win; the Dukes came to walk over a team they obviously thought wasn't good. Big mistake. I personally thought this loss actually was a good thing, as the Dukes then went and smacked Delaware State, Hofstra, and Maine. Guess I was wrong

Against UMass: Playing a good defense, the Dukes just could not get the offense moving. Opportunities did present themselves to win the game, however. The most obvious is the fudging of a punt by UMass that led to JMU being at the UMass 10 yard line with the game tied at 7 in the early 4th quarter if I recall. Alvin Banks then fumbles the ball, blowing the opportunity. UMass goes on to win on a last second field goal.

Against Delaware: Another case of one team wanting it more. Omar Cuff personally reaked havoc on a supposedly good Dukes defense. JMU had too little too late. Even when they knew Cuff was coming, the Dukes could not stop him.

Against Richmond: It was another stud who kept the game out of the Dukes win column. This time it was Stacey Tutt, who at one point scrambled 17 seconds behind the line of scrimmage before making a play. That just can't happen if you want to win games against decent opponents. JMU looked good on exactly one drive the entire game, not counting the last TD drive, which was more desperation than anything. Again, JMU just didn't come to play. I don't know why; it was Homecoming. JMU's lack of offensive identity killed them, as the run would work, then they would start passing with four wideouts.

Overall, the horses are there for the Dukes. We definitely have talent. There's just a lack of intensity, as well as senior leadership. This team is actually pretty young. The two big seniors are Matt Magerko on the O-Line and Clint Kent in the secondary. Outside of those two, we lack the composure of last year's squad. We've lost three games by four or less points that we really could've won. The difference this year is that we aren't winning the close games, we're losing them. The lack of offensive identity is killing us, too. I blame the offensive coordinator in part. When the run is working, we suddenly start passing a lot, and screwing up. The Dukes game is running the ball. Yes, Rascati is pretty good. But we didn't win the national title last year by throwing it a lot. We ran it down opponents' throats to win.

The stars definately aligned when the Dukes won the title last year. Too bad it didn't work again this year. That was a great game last year.

Wellington
November 1st, 2005, 06:00 PM
"The stars definately aligned when the Dukes won the title last year. Too bad it didn't work again this year. That was a great game last year."
I disagree, the results were altered by the crappy, ill-rooted grass field, favoring JMU's running game. I do agree that the stars aligned when the field became crappy, for JMU that is. We all know that when Montana started out with the ball, they marched acrossed the field for a quick touchdown, with their superior passing team. This was when the field was in good condition, but as the field conditions deteriorated (sp?), Montana's defense could NOT stop JMU's run. It is very hard to stop a running back that has his mind set on wheres hes going, when your the defender. You have to adjust, and work out the angles, which is almost impossible when your slipping and tripping all over the crap field.

JMU2004
November 1st, 2005, 06:01 PM
Our OC this year has failed to establish any game plan.....I just dont get it. It is maddening. He never plays our best back (Fenner). Tries to run outside when the indside is wide open. Tries to run the shotgun when the D is giving us the run. I just have to laugh these days, because Durden THINKS himself out of the game

with the ammount of 3 and outs we have had, its tough to lay a lot of blame on the D.

And our special teams have been a comedy....when was the last time we actually made a FG?

Tribe4SF
November 1st, 2005, 07:18 PM
"The stars definately aligned when the Dukes won the title last year. Too bad it didn't work again this year. That was a great game last year."
I disagree, the results were altered by the crappy, ill-rooted grass field, favoring JMU's running game. I do agree that the stars aligned when the field became crappy, for JMU that is. We all know that when Montana started out with the ball, they marched acrossed the field for a quick touchdown, with their superior passing team. This was when the field was in good condition, but as the field conditions deteriorated (sp?), Montana's defense could NOT stop JMU's run. It is very hard to stop a running back that has his mind set on wheres hes going, when your the defender. You have to adjust, and work out the angles, which is almost impossible when your slipping and tripping all over the crap field.

All I can say is..... xpumpukex xazzx

Coastal89
November 1st, 2005, 07:42 PM
Wasn't it your OC Durden that said he wasn't worried about Coastal? He was 2-0 against us and expected to be 3-0.

Let him know he's actually 1-2 against us, thanks.

DB_Atlantic10
November 1st, 2005, 07:55 PM

Man, you must have been holding on to those feeling for quite some time now.... I have to admit, it took me a while to get over the mud at UMass, but talking about Sod at last years NC game is a bit much..... :deadhorse

AZGrizFan
November 1st, 2005, 08:02 PM
Man, you must have been holding on to those feeling for quite some time now.... I have to admit, it took me a while to get over the mud at UMass, but talking about Sod at last years NC game is a bit much..... :deadhorse

There's nothing he said that can't be backed up by video...nothing but the facts, baby!

RadMann
November 1st, 2005, 11:07 PM
The facts are that the better team adapts to the situation and beats the lesser team. Period.

charliej
November 1st, 2005, 11:15 PM

Umass did a pretty good job of it a few weeks ago. :p

grizband
November 2nd, 2005, 12:31 AM
I was really referring to the way JMU kind of came out of now where in the playoffs last year, and then to win the championship against Montana. The field conditions were bad, no doubt though.

umassfan
November 2nd, 2005, 02:24 AM
Umass did a pretty good job of it a few weeks ago. :p
You beat me to it charliej... We didnt seem to have any trouble vs the same offense and same running backs...

Umass74
November 2nd, 2005, 06:39 AM

I'm sorry---I just can't help myself.

JMU fans: Ya know that game winning field goal from the mud in the UMass game? Our kicker has missed EVERY field goal attempt since then.

ChickenMan
November 2nd, 2005, 07:55 AM
JMU's 'fall' is not surprising to me. The competitive balance in the A10 is such that just a play or two a game can alter the outcome of most league contests. In '02 UD was 6-6... losing 5 of those 6 games by a total of 15 points. UD could have been 10-2 as easily as they were 6-6. The next year... UD went 15-1 and won the 1AA title but the Hens could have lost 5 league games that same season. They beat UMass and Maine in OT and won nail biters over Nova by 3 and UNH by 1. A couple of plays here or there and UD doesn't even make the playoffs. This year UD is 1-4 in the A10... but just as easily could be 4-1 or 0-5... making or not making a single play in those A10 games was the difference in each game.

JMU really hasn't 'fallen'... it's more likely that they just have not been able to make that one 'big play' this year that would have turned those three narrow league losses into wins. In '04 the Dukes made those plays... just as the Hens did in '03.

blukeys
November 2nd, 2005, 08:38 AM
JMU's 'fall' is not surprising to me. The competitive balance in the A10 is such that just a play or two a game can alter the outcome of most league contests. In '02 UD was 6-6... losing 5 of those 6 games by a total of 15 points. UD could have been 10-2 as easily as they were 6-6. The next year... UD went 15-1 and won the 1AA title but the Hens could have lost 5 league games that same season. They beat UMass and Maine in OT and won nail biters over Nova by 3 and UNH by 1. A couple of plays here or there and UD doesn't even make the playoffs. This year UD is 1-4 in the A10... but just as easily could be 4-1 or 0-5... making or not making a single play in those A10 games was the difference in each game.

JMU really hasn't 'fallen'... it's more likely that they just have not been able to make that one 'big play' this year that would have turned those three narrow league losses into wins. In '04 the Dukes made those plays... just as the Hens did in '03.

Agree with all the above. Also, JMU had one point wins over Furman and Lehigh with JMU making big plays in both games. JMU could have been out of the playoffs in the 1st or 2nd round last year and then the "fall " talk would not be as pronounced. JMU is still a solid team capable of ruining anyone's day. In the A-10 and I-AA in general the parity makes for a very fine line between success and failure.

JMU Duke Dog
November 2nd, 2005, 08:53 AM
I agree with both of you ChickenMan and blukeys.

Proud Griz Man
November 2nd, 2005, 09:30 AM
Overall, the horses are there for the Dukes. We definitely have talent. There's just a lack of intensity, as well as senior leadership. This team is actually pretty young. The two big seniors are Matt Magerko on the O-Line and Clint Kent in the secondary. Outside of those two, we lack the composure of last year's squad. We've lost three games by four or less points that we really could've won. The difference this year is that we aren't winning the close games, we're losing them.

Good luck JMU. It took guts to post your thoughts here Blur, because I know the disappointment you feel. I have been there, after Griz losses. :nod:

SoCon48
November 2nd, 2005, 09:37 AM

Whatever the reasons, I don't think JMU will be down long. May not win another NC right away..but will still be winning again.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
November 2nd, 2005, 10:13 AM
I'm just amazed that, with that offensive line, JMU bothers attempting passes or running outside at all. Sod or no sod (despite what my fellow Griz fans say), the victory in the Nooga last year came on the fat asses of those 350 lb ogres. Those dudes were BAD. Most of whom returned this year, right? Why rely on Rascati when you could just waltz up the middle?

What is it about guys named Durden and weird, split personalities?

grizband
November 2nd, 2005, 10:43 AM
I'm just amazed that, with that offensive line, JMU bothers attempting passes or running outside at all. Sod or no sod (despite what my fellow Griz fans say), the victory in the Nooga last year came on the fat asses of those 350 lb ogres. Those dudes were BAD. Most of whom returned this year, right? Why rely on Rascati when you could just waltz up the middle?

What is it about guys named Durden and weird, split personalities?
You are right, WhereDoI, those o-linemen were beasts. They were pushing us around on that field in Chatty.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2005, 10:44 AM
Whatever the reasons, I don't think JMU will be down long. May not win another NC right away..but will still be winning again.
First, I hope nothing but the best for JMU and I don't intend to turn this into a pissing match but...

JMU has made some strides with their administration on spending money on the program, but we'll have to wait to see how it pans out down the road. This isn't the first time they've flirted with Yankee/A10 greatness. Their only other 10+ win season was 1994 and they followed that up with 8-4, 7-4, 5-6, 3-8. JMU fans like to point at the fact that they didn't have MM then or weren't spending as much money then, but if all it took to have a great football program were money, any administration would run right out and buy new facilities tomorrow. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. JMU attendance is up, but I would expect that coming off an NC.

Almost every team in the A10 has stood on the precipice of A10 greatness at some point...

Maine: 2001-02
Villanova: 1991-92, 1997, 2002
Richmond: 2000
Northeastern: 2002-03
Hofstra 1997-2001 (they weren't in the A10, but played most of their games against A10's)

but all faded back to middle of the pack in ensuing years. It's tough to stay on top in the A10. Since 1993 (when W&M and JMU joined the A10):

Delaware - 3 A10 titles, 4 10+ win seasons, 1 losing season, 6 playoff trips
W&M - 3 A10 titles, 2 10+ win seasons, 2 losing seasons, 4 playoff trips
JMU - 2 A10 titles, 2 10+ win seasons, 4 losing seasons, 4 playoff trips
UMass - 2 A10 titles, 2 10+ win seasons, 3 losing seasons, 3 playoff trips

Proud Griz Man
November 2nd, 2005, 11:00 AM
Almost every team in the A10 has stood on the precipice of A10 greatness at some point...

but all faded back to middle of the pack in ensuing years. It's tough to stay on top in the A10.

Kudos for using the precipice. ;)

IMHO, I thought it was big of Blur to come on here discussing JMUs losses.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2005, 11:03 AM
IMHO, I thought it was big of Blur to come on here discussing JMUs losses.
Agreed. :nod: Most of the JMU fans have been very humble recently.

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2005, 11:23 AM
The facts are that the better team adapts to the situation and beats the lesser team. Period.

I agree--JMU was the better team, and I don't believe the end result would have been different (maybe closer score...) but it would have been nice to see that game played with those same players on a clean field, just too see....hey, a fan can wish, can't he?

WMTribe90
November 2nd, 2005, 01:47 PM
W&M - 3 A10 titles, 2 10+ win seasons, 2 losing seasons, 4 playoff tripsJMU - 2 A10 titles, 2 10+ win seasons, 4 losing seasons, 4 playoff trips

WM is the only team to not have a losing conference mark since joining in 1993. The losing campaigns were 5-6 marks in years we played a IA. We don't have a NC or the most playoff wins, but we are the most consistent program in the conference since 1993.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2005, 02:05 PM
we are the most consistent program in the conference since 1993.
Debatable. URI is probably the most consistent...

1993 2-6
1994 2-6
1996 2-6
1997 2-6
1998 2-6
1999 1-7
2000 2-6
2002 1-8
2003 3-6
2004 2-6

bostonspider
November 2nd, 2005, 02:44 PM
Is UR the most inconsistent? tends to be feast or famine for the Spiders it seems to me...

DB_Atlantic10
November 2nd, 2005, 03:32 PM
Debatable. URI is probably the most consistent...

1993 2-6
1994 2-6
1996 2-6
1997 2-6
1998 2-6
1999 1-7
2000 2-6
2002 1-8
2003 3-6
2004 2-6

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

SoCon48
November 2nd, 2005, 04:51 PM
First, I hope nothing but the best for JMU and I don't intend to turn this into a pissing match but...

JMU has made some strides with their administration on spending money on the program, but we'll have to wait to see how it pans out down the road. This isn't the first time they've flirted with Yankee/A10 greatness. Their only other 10+ win season was 1994 and they followed that up with 8-4, 7-4, 5-6, 3-8. JMU fans like to point at the fact that they didn't have MM then or weren't spending as much money then, but if all it took to have a great football program were money, any administration would run right out and buy new facilities tomorrow. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. JMU attendance is up, but I would expect that coming off an NC.

Maine: 2001-02
Villanova: 1991-92, 1997, 2002
Richmond: 2000
Northeastern: 2002-03
Hofstra 1997-2001 (they weren't in the A10, but played most of their games against A10's)

but all faded back to middle of the pack in ensuing years. It's tough to stay on top in the A10. Since 1993 (when W&M and JMU joined the A10):

W&M - 3 A10 titles, 2 10+ win seasons, 2 losing seasons, 4 playoff trips
JMU - 2 A10 titles, 2 10+ win seasons, 4 losing seasons, 4 playoff trips

Which is why I said "back to winning". After ASU's playing JMU many times over the years, it was a huge surprise they won the NC, especially all on the road.
It's a hard thing to pull off and shouldn't be expected to repeat right away.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2005, 04:55 PM
Which is why I said "back to winning".
To me that implies they were consistently winning before.

blur2005
November 4th, 2005, 12:38 PM

At least this gives me hope that next year the team will come out, a bit more mature and older, and win those close games that we've completely failed at this year.

GannonFan
November 4th, 2005, 02:09 PM
At least this gives me hope that next year the team will come out, a bit more mature and older, and win those close games that we've completely failed at this year.

Hey, at least next year you avoid the Tub and the Hens have to go to Harrisonburg.

ngineer
November 4th, 2005, 10:10 PM
I really don't see it as a program having 'fallen.' When you look at the number of close games the Dukes had last year, it was 'one of those years' when they were able to make 'the play' when needed. You can't keep reliving last year---think of those who 'just missed' knocking the Dukes off year--like my Mountain Hawks :(