PDA

View Full Version : W&M's self-study on Tribe name.

Tribe4SF
November 1st, 2005, 02:13 PM
Submitted to NCAA today.

Link is to our Presidents letter. There are links on the left of the letter to the full self-study.

President Gene Nichol raises interesting points about the previous decisions of the NCAA turning its own intentions "on its head". He is a very bright guy, and of course, a former football player.

www.wm.edu/NCAA/

TypicalTribe
November 1st, 2005, 02:18 PM
Wonderfully done. A perfect example of why he was such a good choice to lead the College.

Retro
November 1st, 2005, 02:33 PM
That's a great letter.. IMO, the NCAA jumped the gun and was ignorant of the facts when they deemed all these universities to have hostile nicknames, when in fact nearly all used them as an honor to the respective groups.

pete4256
November 1st, 2005, 03:15 PM
Maybe they could change it to the William & Mary Dutch Usurpers or the William & Mary Irish Killers.

The university's name in and of itself is offensive to many Irish-Americans.

When will we get justice?

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 03:42 PM
Maybe they could change it to the William & Mary Dutch Usurpers or the William & Mary Irish Killers.

The university's name in and of itself is offensive to many Irish-Americans.

When will we get justice?

just call it Bill & Mury, thats the southern way

soccerguy315
November 1st, 2005, 04:55 PM
Here's the email he sent to the students:

Dear Friends:

Some months ago, the National Collegiate Athletic Association asked William and Mary--along with 30 other colleges and universities--to determine whether the Native American nickname and logo associated with our athletic program are “hostile and abusive.”

This fall, I appointed Provost Geoff Feiss to chair a steering committee preparing the College’s self evaluation. I want to share with you the committee’s work, which has been completed and forwarded to the NCAA. The entire report and my cover letter can be found at www.wm.edu/NCAA.

After careful consideration, the self-evaluation committee, the Board of Visitors and I find no basis for concluding that the use of the term “Tribe” violates NCAA standards. On the contrary, the “Tribe” moniker communicates ennobling sentiments of commitment, shared idealism, community, and common cause.

I’m pleased to tell you that my recent conversations with nearby Virginia Indian tribes have affirmed their acceptance of the nickname, which highlights, of course, the historical connection between the College and its role in educating Native Americans.

Geoff and his colleagues conducted a thorough and thoughtful review. I’m grateful for their work --for the input I’ve received from not a few alumni, students, and friends of the College --and, most of all, that our community’s powerful sense of common endeavor indeed deserves the name “Tribe.”

Go Tribe. Hark upon the gale.

Gene Nichol