PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 9/27

JALMOND
September 25th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Now is the time to get down to business. This weekend finds all nine Big Sky teams in action with six playing conference opponents. The time of bopping back and forth between FBS and DII opponents is past, now the games count. Coming into this weekend, I am 23-4 (looks good but really isn't considering how the games have all played out so far). With that on the line, here are this weekend's predictions. All are strictly my opinion and all are open for discussion...

ISU @ EWU---Playing last Thursday means the Bengals had a couple extra days to put the loss to North Dakota behind them and get ready to play the Eagles. The Eagles took most of the game off last week as well to get ready for the Bengals. As if they really needed it...EWU 45, ISU 10.

Central Washington @ UM---For all they lost from last year, the Griz find themselves on the verge of entering conference play undefeated, with only DII Central Washington standing in their way. This year's non conference slate also is by far more difficult than last years, too. Central Washington is talking up a good game. Someone please remind them that they are playing in Missoula...UM 40, Central Washington 17.

South Dakota @ MSU---A chance for the Bobcats to erase some ugly memories of playing up at the FBS level by entertaining South Dakota. Don't think for a moment that this will be easy as South Dakota gave Northern Iowa all they could handle early on in the season. They definitely are not Adams State. It should be a wild game...MSU 31, South Dakota 28.

NAU @ UNC---Last week the Jacks struggled on the road at Southern Utah, while the Bears were giving Texas State fits in Greeley. The Jacks have been flying rather under the radar and the Bears have been competitive. This game could be rather surprising...UNC 27, NAU 24.

PSU @ Sac State---The Vikings have been having troubles at the helm of the run and shoot so much that the starting QB might not be decided until game time. The Hornets, on the other hand, are just a couple plays away from being 4-0 at this point, making them out as being the surprise of the conference so far. Gotta give the edge to the Hornets...Sac State 35, PSU 28.

WSU @ Utah---The Wildcats are rolling, having won in Sacramento for the first time since 1998 and having thrown a mild scare into Hawaii earlier. Now time to face their FBS in state rival, Utah, who hopes to make their own noise in the FBS this year (and who does not want to try to explain a loss to the Wildcats). The Wildcats can play with the Utes, it is just a matter of how long...Utah 38, WSU 24.

FCS Go!
September 25th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Looks spot on- except for that last game. Utah is way better than Hawaii and no amount of in-state-rival-super strength is going to keep them in the game for more than a quarter. I hope I'm wrong though. :D

Now that I think about it a bit more I'm not so sure the Cats win either.

mvemjsunpx
September 25th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Wow, yours are surprisingly similar to mine. Here're the ones I made earlier on bigskyfans.

Conference Games:

Idaho St. (0-0, 0-3) @ Eastern Washington (0-0, 1-2) - Bengals have a decent passing game… and that's about it. Eastern's defense should play better than last week & help the Eagles to an easy win… EWU 41, IDST 17

Portland St. (0-0, 1-2) @ Sac State (0-1, 2-2) - The Hornets have a matchup problem here: their pass defense isn't very good & Portland does nothing but pass. Also, let's not mention that the Vikings have won 8 straight in this series and 18 of the last 20. On the other side, though, Sac's offense looks improved while PSU's defense is bloody awful. Hornets in a shootout… CSUS 45, PORTST 38

Northern Arizona (0-0, 2-1) @ Northern Colorado (0-0, 0-2) - NAU looked to me to be overrated coming into the season & last week's narrow win over Southern Utah did nothing to change my thinking. The Bears are coming off a tragic defeat to Texas State, but I think they'll win a couple conference games this year. They could steal one here… NCOL 28, NAU 24

Non-Conference Games:

Weber St. (3-1) @ (FBS) Utah (4-0) - Weber probably should be a ranked FCS team. Utah is a ranked FBS team. That's all you really need to know… UTAH 45, WEBER 14

(DII) Central Washington (4-0) @ Montana (3-0) - The Wildcats, being a top-10 DII team, are better than Southern Utah. They're not as good as UC Davis, however. The result here will be somewhere in the middle… UMT 42, CWU 20

South Dakota (2-2) @ Montana St. (1-2) - This game just sucks for the Bobcats; The Coyotes are a first-year transitional so they don't count as a DI opponent. However, given solid efforts at Northern Iowa and at SE Louisiana, the Coyotes don't play like a typical DII. The Bobcats will get it done, but it won't be as easy as they would like for a "worthless" win… MTST 24, SDK 10

I Bleed Purple
September 25th, 2008, 02:51 AM
I have 45-17 myself.

Their two backs are really good. That worries me the most. We'll have to crowd the box to stop them, and we're known to give up the big pass play.

Should still be able to get a couple drives in. We're pretty good offensively when we don't have penalties.

ncbears
September 25th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I think NAU will beat unc. 28-17

CopperCat
September 25th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Looks spot on- except for that last game. Utah is way better than Hawaii and no amount of in-state-rival-super strength is going to keep them in the game for more than a quarter. I hope I'm wrong though. :D

Meh, nobody asked you anyway.xcoffeex :D

Utah should hang a few on Weber within the first few minutes. They are the best team in the MWC, and probably one of the best teams in the West period. Talent and depth are abound. Weber's D might be able to slow down Utah for a bit, but I see the score more like 55-10.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
September 25th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I don't think Hawaii is near as good as Utah is this year, Weber will have all they want this week. I am gonna try and make it up there and watch this game even if it's a blow out. I am on the fence with NAU and UNC. This should be a good battle and it's a tough one to call for me with they way both have played so far. I like the rest of your picks and reasoning.

wapiti
September 25th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Your predictions look good Jalmond.

Except I expect to Utah to thump Weber by a bigger score difference.
Sorry Weber, no smack intended, just that your taking a big step up in Utah.

UNIFanSince1983
September 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM
After seeing USD play this year I think Montana State will be in for all they can handle. I think they can come away with a win, but it will be hard fought.

In my opinion Utah is a great team and will be able to hang some good points on Weber. They are, however, not the best team in the MWC this year. I believe that distinction belongs to BYU, and not because we played them. This is a team that in their last two games, one of which was against UCLA, has won 103-0. Either way the BYU vs Utah game at the end of the year should be a great one.

As for most of the other picks I think they could be pretty good.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 25th, 2008, 11:59 AM
We all have a consensus on the ISU-EWU game then... I have the score at 42-17 on our rivals.com message board. I'm just hoping we're all right and the EWU Defense decides to show up this Saturday.

Everything else looks pretty good other than how much the Utes are going to score on Weber, which has already been pointed out. I think CWU is going to put a scare into Montana... they have been a really strong program in recent years.

biobengal
September 25th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I'm quite confident ISU will score more than 17..... probably in the 24-31 range. On the other hand, ISU may also give up more than 40. xeekx

UNCBears2010
September 25th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I think NAU will beat unc. 28-17

If any team holds UNC to 17 points it will be a major accomplishment.

DaBears
September 25th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I gotta go with NAU over UNC on this one. I have to pick the other team until we show we can actually win a game.

CatFan22
September 25th, 2008, 01:25 PM
This is going to be a very interesting week. I am very anxious to see how MSU does against USD. I think USD is a pretty good test as to how they will fair in the BSC. But anything could change between now and the end of conference.
I am also interested in the UNC-NAU game. If UNC is really as good as you guys are making them out to be, it will show in this game.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 26th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I'm quite confident ISU will score more than 17..... probably in the 24-31 range. On the other hand, ISU may also give up more than 40. xeekx

Depends on which Eagle D shows up on Saturday. If the squad that held the two powerful backs of CU to under 90 combined rushing yards and pressured Cody Hawkins all day shows up, then ISU won't score more than 10. However if the soft, non-blitzing, zone-coverage D that played against Western shows up, ISU will put up at least 24. Hopefully it will be the former, not the latter that decides to show up. Go Eags!

JALMOND
September 26th, 2008, 01:43 AM
With Oregon State beating USC tonight (Thursday) and Utah playing the Beavers next Thursday (short week for the Utes), minds might begin to look past Weber this Saturday. I'm not saying that Weber will win, but I think that the Wildcats might bring the Utes back to earth in a hurry. No matter how good you are (or how good you might think you are), I would not want to be given an opportunity to look past someone like Weber State.

Tod
September 26th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Now is the time to get down to business. This weekend finds all nine Big Sky teams in action with six playing conference opponents. The time of bopping back and forth between FBS and DII opponents is past, now the games count. Coming into this weekend, I am 23-4 (looks good but really isn't considering how the games have all played out so far). With that on the line, here are this weekend's predictions. All are strictly my opinion and all are open for discussion...

ISU @ EWU---Playing last Thursday means the Bengals had a couple extra days to put the loss to North Dakota behind them and get ready to play the Eagles. The Eagles took most of the game off last week as well to get ready for the Bengals. As if they really needed it...EWU 45, ISU 10.

Central Washington @ UM---For all they lost from last year, the Griz find themselves on the verge of entering conference play undefeated, with only DII Central Washington standing in their way. This year's non conference slate also is by far more difficult than last years, too. Central Washington is talking up a good game. Someone please remind them that they are playing in Missoula...UM 40, Central Washington 17.

South Dakota @ MSU---A chance for the Bobcats to erase some ugly memories of playing up at the FBS level by entertaining South Dakota. Don't think for a moment that this will be easy as South Dakota gave Northern Iowa all they could handle early on in the season. They definitely are not Adams State. It should be a wild game...MSU 31, South Dakota 28.

NAU @ UNC---Last week the Jacks struggled on the road at Southern Utah, while the Bears were giving Texas State fits in Greeley. The Jacks have been flying rather under the radar and the Bears have been competitive. This game could be rather surprising...UNC 27, NAU 24.

PSU @ Sac State---The Vikings have been having troubles at the helm of the run and shoot so much that the starting QB might not be decided until game time. The Hornets, on the other hand, are just a couple plays away from being 4-0 at this point, making them out as being the surprise of the conference so far. Gotta give the edge to the Hornets...Sac State 35, PSU 28.

WSU @ Utah---The Wildcats are rolling, having won in Sacramento for the first time since 1998 and having thrown a mild scare into Hawaii earlier. Now time to face their FBS in state rival, Utah, who hopes to make their own noise in the FBS this year (and who does not want to try to explain a loss to the Wildcats). The Wildcats can play with the Utes, it is just a matter of how long...Utah 38, WSU 24.

ISU upsets EWU. OK...comes closer... I never claimed to have balls.

xeekx xeekx :D

biobengal
September 26th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Depends on which Eagle D shows up on Saturday. If the squad that held the two powerful backs of CU to under 90 combined rushing yards and pressured Cody Hawkins all day shows up, then ISU won't score more than 10. However if the soft, non-blitzing, zone-coverage D that played against Western shows up, ISU will put up at least 24. Hopefully it will be the former, not the latter that decides to show up. Go Eags!

In other words.... you have no idea. xsmiley_wix

LetsGoSioux!
September 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Beware of Central Washington. They are a much better team than Western Washington who gave Eastern a scare last week. CWU has a lot of talent, I have seen them give the UND Sioux great games up in Grand Forks...they have some pretty cocky dudes who like to talk trash, I believe a few of them are U of Washington transfers. I think UM will win, but it could be closer than most think.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 26th, 2008, 12:18 PM
In other words.... you have no idea. xsmiley_wix

In other words, how much ISU scores... I have no idea. But rest assured Nichols and crew will show up, and put up enough to win. xsmiley_wix

Screamin_Eagle174
September 26th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Beware of Central Washington. They are a much better team than Western Washington who gave Eastern a scare last week. CWU has a lot of talent, I have seen them give the UND Sioux great games up in Grand Forks...they have some pretty cocky dudes who like to talk trash, I believe a few of them are U of Washington transfers. I think UM will win, but it could be closer than most think.

I totally agree. It'll be a good game, but Montana will pull it out. 38-27 UM.

Ronbo
September 26th, 2008, 12:34 PM

I read somewhere CWU has about 17 I-A transfers mostly from the PAC 10. Their QB and a couple RB's are Pac 10 transfers.

Peems
September 26th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I think the Griz will be ready, I don't expect a Southern Utah type victory, but I say 13-17 point victory.

CopperCat
September 27th, 2008, 04:10 PM

I'm not so sure the Griz will beat CWU..........

Meanwhile, MSU is taking care of business. Just a little smack.......:D

Screamin_Eagle174
September 27th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I'm not so sure the Griz will beat CWU..........

Meanwhile, MSU is taking care of business. Just a little smack.......:D

[Against a D-II transitional team] xeekx

I'd sure hope so.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 27th, 2008, 06:54 PM

I'd sure hope so.

Not that EWU did any better though. Our defense is horrible. Nichols is just going to have to put up 45-59 every game to win in the BSC. xnonono2x

Bobcat in NC
September 27th, 2008, 07:06 PM
After seeing USD play this year I think Montana State will be in for all they can handle. I think they can come away with a win, but it will be hard fought.

In my opinion Utah is a great team and will be able to hang some good points on Weber. They are, however, not the best team in the MWC this year. I believe that distinction belongs to BYU, and not because we played them. This is a team that in their last two games, one of which was against UCLA, has won 103-0. Either way the BYU vs Utah game at the end of the year should be a great one.

As for most of the other picks I think they could be pretty good.

So much for that. If MSU doesn't pull the starting D in the 4th, this one ends up 35-0 or worse. All of USD's scores came in the final 6 minutes.

CopperCat
September 27th, 2008, 10:05 PM

I'd sure hope so.

Who almost beat UNI.xrulesx

JALMOND
September 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM

5-1 this week (I knew I should have went with Northern Arizona). Puts me at 28-5 so far. Well, we'll see what next week brings.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 28th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Who almost beat UNI.xrulesx

I heard the Patriots almost won the Superbowl last year. xblahblahx

CopperCat
September 28th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I heard the Patriots almost won the Superbowl last year. xblahblahx

So wait, let me get this straight: you're going to smack MSU for playing a DII transitional team when UM almost gets beat by CWU? Or do they get more cred just because EWU played them too?xrolleyesx

Grizalltheway
September 28th, 2008, 01:51 PM
So wait, let me get this straight: you're going to smack MSU for playing a DII transitional team when UM almost gets beat by CWU? Or do they get more cred just because EWU played them too?xrolleyesx

I'm not saying he should smack MSU for playing SD, but I'd say that CWU are significantly better than them.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 28th, 2008, 02:05 PM

I wasn't smacking MSU, but I can see how you might think I was. All I was saying is that beating USD shouldn't be a huge accomplishment for MSU. Sure, they're a quality D-II/FCS team, but what they almost did against another team doesn't really matter. And yes, Montana's win over CWU was ugly... 5 TOs is unacceptable. Likewise EWU's performances against WWU and ISU were also pretty bad.

CrazyCat
September 28th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I wasn't smacking MSU, but I can see how you might think I was. All I was saying is that beating USD shouldn't be a huge accomplishment for MSU. Sure, they're a quality D-II/FCS team, but what they almost did against another team doesn't really matter. And yes, Montana's win over CWU was ugly... 5 TOs is unacceptable. Likewise EWU's performances against WWU and ISU were also pretty bad.

No, it's not a huge accomplishment but it was a dominating defensive performance with the offense not only improving but opening up a whole new playbook that is going to give the BSC fits, in my opinion of course.

catbob
September 28th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Well then I hope not to hear about how EWU almost beat CU for the rest of the season.

catbob
September 28th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Besides, at this level of football, one of the only ways you can gauge yourself is common opponents. USD played UNI pretty tough, and we blew them out. UNI is a top 5 team, so we can be excited if we want to. :)

Screamin_Eagle174
September 28th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Besides, at this level of football, one of the only ways you can gauge yourself is common opponents. USD played UNI pretty tough, and we blew them out. UNI is a top 5 team, so we can be excited if we want to. :)

This is where I say something about Kansas State, but I'll check that smack at the door. :D

UNI is voted as a top 5 team, (top 10 yes, but not top 5) especially not after this weekend. All will be settled in due time with conference play.

Peems
September 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Great week in the sky, and I'm personally very nervous about the Griz venture to Ogden this upcoming weekend.

Walkon79
September 29th, 2008, 12:56 PM
This is where I say something about Kansas State, but I'll check that smack at the door. :D

UNI is voted as a top 5 team, (top 10 yes, but not top 5) especially not after this weekend. All will be settled in due time with conference play.

As usual the Cat's have to earn it, (respect that is). We'll see how this plays out the next 8 weeks or so, but I'd be surprised if ISU scored 20 this week in their own house. Except for the KState game, this defense has performed better than anyone in the BSC so far.

The Cat's have also found a go-to receiver, short yardage horse of a tailback and a kicker, (All Freshmen from Texas) and a solid QB for the next three years in Kempt. We also have the second best, (IMO behind Smith at WSU,) TB in the BSC in Demetrius Crawford and another that might be starting for the Griz right now (Aaron Mason), but is second on the depth chart in Bozeman. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 29th, 2008, 01:00 PM
As usual the Cat's have to earn it, (respect that is). We'll see how this plays out the next 8 weeks or so, but I'd be surprised if ISU scored 20 this week in their own house. Except for the KState game, this defense has performed better than anyone in the BSC so far.

The Cat's have also found a go-to receiver, short yardage horse of a tailback and a kicker, (All Freshmen from Texas) and a solid QB for the next three years in Kempt. We also have the second best, (IMO behind Smith at WSU,) TB in the BSC in Demetrius Crawford and another that might be starting for the Griz right now (Aaron Mason), but is second on the depth chart in Bozeman. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Actually, I think NAU takes the cake in that one, but only slightly. NAU is 19th in FCS total defense allowing 290yds/gm, and MSU is 25th allowing 298.75yds/gm.

Walkon79
September 29th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Actually, I think NAU takes the cake in that one, but only slightly. NAU is 19th in FCS total defense allowing 290yds/gm, and MSU is 25th allowing 298.75yds/gm.

Point taken, but at least this week, I think a 50 minute shut-out of USD was more impressive than NAU's defensive performance against UNC. We also, by the way had to overcome two early TO's deep in our own territory, and the Coyotes came away with zip.

I'm just a little perturbed:

- Cat's demolish a "transitional" FCS program with a good rep and several close games against potential playoff teams
- The Griz eek out a win against a DII (Albeit a quality DII), and the blame goes 100% to turnovers
- Eastern escapes at home against a BSC cellar dweller and gives up 30+ points in the process.

Almost in unison, the posters on this thread were warning of a Coyote upset last Saturday. Where are the props for a great performance on both sides of the ball?

Walkon79
September 29th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Also, take away KState and the stats are significantly different.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 29th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Point taken, but at least this week, I think a 50 minute shut-out of USD was more impressive than NAU's defensive performance against UNC. We also, by the way had to overcome two early TO's deep in our own territory, and the Coyotes came away with zip.

- Cat's demolish a "transitional" FCS program with a good rep and several close games against potential playoff teams
- The Griz eek out a win against a DII (Albeit a quality DII), and the blame goes 100% to turnovers
- Eastern escapes at home against a BSC cellar dweller and gives up 30+ points in the process.

Almost in unison, the posters on this thread were warning of a Coyote upset last Saturday. Where are the props for a great performance on both sides of the ball?

Not me. I never made a prediction about that game. Nor was I praising EWU's ugly win over ISU... our D stunk it up again http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48561. Although I don't think it was anything special as USD is a transitional team, props to MSU for doing what they should do against lesser competition. EWU certainly didn't do that against WWU, allowing over 500yds in the game. xeekx

already123
September 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM

True....however, NAU is allowing only 9 YARDS per GAME RUSHING on defense. The only reason the numbers are high in the passing game is because teams are throwing the ball over 40 times a game against us-completing only 40% of their passes. If you look at the turnovers caused by our defense, you will see that they are playing much better than the numbers indicate. xthumbsupx

Go Jacks!

Screamin_Eagle174
September 29th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Also, take away KState and the stats are significantly different.

xlolx

Sure, let's just take away that game like it didn't happen. I mean, it's not like it counts on MSU's record or anything, right? xrolleyesx

eagle1
September 29th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Both MSU and EWU are 2-2. Until we get further into conference play it is a crap shoot at best to determine which team is better. It is good that both of these teams play in three weeks (Oct. 18th). EWU has got a tough game this weekend against Portland State in Portland and this team is truly taking it one game at a time. I think Idaho State is better than their record but they got several guys hurt in the EWU game and were already without Eddie Thompson. I think MSU should beat them in the dome but I don't think that it will be that easy. EWU needs this defense, which is in a new scheme, to continue to step up and play a complete game. I think many people forget that EWU has moved to a 4-3 from the 4-2-5 from years passed. There has got to be a learning curve with that so hopefully they are getting everything straightened out. I think the conference as a whole is much stronger and there is more parity from top to bottom. Just my 2 cents. Go Eags!!!