PDA

View Full Version : Playing them close...

ChickenMan
November 1st, 2005, 11:47 AM
From today's local paper...

Since a 55-10 win over URI on 10-18-03, Delaware has played 24 regular season games vs 1A and 1AA competition. All 24 games have been decided by 14 points or less and the average margin of victory is 5.8 points.

the wins (and losses) don't come easy... but they are entertaining...

LacesOut
November 1st, 2005, 11:51 AM
Sometimes I'd rather have my team get pillaged and plundered than lose the close ones.

Like my Philadelphia Eagles.

ngineer
November 1st, 2005, 12:48 PM
Sometimes I'd rather have my team get pillaged and plundered than lose the close ones.

Like my Philadelphia Eagles.

No question. If you're going to get beat a true 'beating' is much easier to take. It's those games that come down a crucial play that cause the ulcers, the gnashing of teeth, and hair pulling. :D

89Hen
November 1st, 2005, 01:31 PM
This year is eerily reminiscent of 2002....

The Hens were 6-6 overall, 4-5 in the A10. They were 5-1 at home and 1-5 on the road. Beat #5 ranked GSU, #5 ranked Maine and #11 ranked Northeastern.

If the Hens can find a way to beat UMass this week, they would be 5-1 in Newark (we won't count the "home" game at Richmond) and would have beaten ranked Lehigh, ranked JMU and ranked UMass.

Also in 2002 there were a couple of close call losses... chip shot FG blocked at Richmond, took a late lead at The Citadel only to see them drive the field for the winning score, missed two FG's (one late in the 4th and one in OT) at URI to lose in double OT and had four turnovers against UMass in a close game...

This year the Hens score late at Towson only to see the Tigers drive the field for the winning score, they get stuffed on 1st and goal from the 3 to fail to score against Hofstra with under a minute and had two crucial fumbles against Maine last week.

Let's just hope next year looks eerily similar to 2003. :D

LacesOut
November 1st, 2005, 01:41 PM

It probably won't.

Especially on D. On the line and in the secondary. Uggghhhh.

grizband
November 1st, 2005, 02:00 PM

The Hens were 6-6 overall, 4-5 in the A10. They were 5-1 at home and 1-5 on the road. Beat #5 ranked GSU, #5 ranked Maine and #11 ranked Northeastern.

If the Hens can find a way to beat UMass this week, they would be 5-1 in Newark (we won't count the "home" game at Richmond) and would have beaten ranked Lehigh, ranked JMU and ranked UMass.

Also in 2002 there were a couple of close call losses... chip shot FG blocked at Richmond, took a late lead at The Citadel only to see them drive the field for the winning score, missed two FG's (one late in the 4th and one in OT) at URI to lose in double OT and had four turnovers against UMass in a close game...

This year the Hens score late at Towson only to see the Tigers drive the field for the winning score, they get stuffed on 1st and goal from the 3 to fail to score against Hofstra with under a minute and had two crucial fumbles against Maine last week.

I hope, for the sake of everyone else in I-AA, that it doesn't resemble 2003 for UD. I would rather it resemble 2001 for UM

UNHknowledge
November 1st, 2005, 08:20 PM
That is a very interesting statistic that delaware has showed (especially considering the 2003 Title team). UNH has been the opposite for the last 2 years at least. We have smoked our competition other than UC-D and UMass and when we have lost we have REALLY lost. W&M this year and Montana last year beat us by 30+.

RadMann
November 1st, 2005, 11:05 PM
UNHknowledge: I'm not sure I would call all of the other UNH wins the last two years "smoked". UNH squeeked by UD last year 24 - 21.

charliej
November 1st, 2005, 11:08 PM
UNHknowledge: I'm not sure I would call all of the other UNH wins the last two years "smoked". UNH squeeked by UD last year 24 - 21.

I would agree. Wildcats may be spanking teams this year,but in '04 UNH avg. margin of victory was less than 2 TD's

UNHknowledge
November 1st, 2005, 11:47 PM
Thank you sticklers...i KNOW we haven't "smoked" everyone, just like we haven't been "smoked" EVERY game we lost. I was just commenting on how interesting of a stat Deleware has had over the time span. The point of my post was that UNH has lost very bad when we have lost recently, wasn't trying to say that we have smoked through everyone the last 2 years...there were many more close games last year than the UD game. Sorry UD fans...def wasn't trying to say we've crushed everyone, I've seen bsaically every UNH game the last 2 years...and I know better.

And I agree...losin the close ones are the worst.