PDA

View Full Version : Does the perceived top 3 conferences really as strong as people think?

EdubAlum
September 24th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I really feel like people believe the CAA, Southern, and Missouri Valley conferences are overrated, at least in the polls. Does one conference REALLY have 6 top 25 teams. I find that hard to believe. I also find it hard to believe that 3 conferences make up 17 of the top 25.

The Top 10 in the poll I don't dispute. After that it gets a bit fuzzy. I realize we're still early in the season, so half of the rankings are still based on hype, and that includes my EWU Eags, we have yet to prove anything on the field. Really what gives Massachusetts (2-2 losses to JMU, texas tech by 32 points) any better of a resume than say Northern Arizona (2-1, no quality wins, but close loss to Arizona State)? Same thing for Villanova (2-1, one of those wins over an IVY in OT).

Delaware is 1-2 and the 1 win wasn't even a D-1 win. Now i know what you're thinking, EWU is also 1-2, but both of our losses have been respectable losses to FBS schools both in the big 12. We were in BOTH of those games through at least 3 quarters.If we lose to Idaho State this weekend, by all means, kick us out.

I'm really not trying to start a flame war. I just am curious if anyone has stepped back and thought, maybe it's a little ridiculous that 3 conferences make up the majority of the top 25.

Sports Network top 25
1. Richmond 3-1 CAA
2. James Madison 3-1 CAA
3. Appalachian State 1-2 Southern
4. Montana 3-0 Big Sky
5. Northern Iowa 2-1 Missouri Valley
6. McNeese State 1-1 Southland
7. New Hampshire 3-0 CAA
8. Elon 3-1 Southern
9. Cal Poly 2-1 Great West
10. North Dakota State 2-2 Missouri Valley
11. Eastern Washington 1-2 Big Sky
12. Central Arkansas 4-0 Southland
13. The Citadel 2-1 Southern
14. Wofford 2-1 Southern
15. Southern Illinois 1-1 Missouri Valley
16. Furman 3-1 Southern
17. Delaware 1-2 CAA
18. Massachusetts 2-2 CAA
19. Villanova 2-1 CAA
20. South Dakota State 2-2 Missouri Valley
21. Eastern Illinois 2-2 Ohio Valley
22. Western Illinois 2-2 Missouri Valley
23. Tennessee State 4-0 Ohio Valley
24. Georgia Southern 2-2 Southern
25. Liberty Flames 3-0 Big South

CAA 6
Southern 6
Missouri Valley 5
Big Sky 2
Ohio Valley 2
Southland 2
Big South 1
Great West 1

griz8791
September 24th, 2008, 05:10 PM
We need an emoticon for a smiley fastening its seat belt.

smallcollegefbfan
September 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM
The reality is those leagues will beat up on each other and they won't all be ranked in the postseason. Are they all top 25? Maybe. Head to head I do think the top 5 CAA or SoCon schools could win a few FCS leagues and that the depth in those leagues is better overall. There is a lot of ball to play, so, we will find out.

Hansel
September 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM
UMass has a history of success- NAU has a history of mediocrity

Col Hogan
September 24th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I really feel like people believe the CAA, Southern, and Missouri Valley conferences are overrated, at least in the polls. Does one conference REALLY have 6 top 25 teams. I find that hard to believe. I also find it hard to believe that 3 conferences make up 17 of the top 25.

The Top 10 in the poll I don't dispute. After that it gets a bit fuzzy. I realize we're still early in the season, so half of the rankings are still based on hype, and that includes my EWU Eags, we have yet to prove anything on the field. Really what gives Massachusetts (2-2 losses to JMU, texas tech by 32 points) any better of a resume than say Northern Arizona (2-1, no quality wins, but close loss to Arizona State)? Same thing for Villanova (2-1, one of those wins over an IVY in OT).

Delaware is 1-2 and the 1 win wasn't even a D-1 win. Now i know what you're thinking, EWU is also 1-2, but both of our losses have been respectable losses to FBS schools both in the big 12. We were in BOTH of those games through at least 3 quarters.If we lose to Idaho State this weekend, by all means, kick us out.

I'm really not trying to start a flame war. I just am curious if anyone has stepped back and thought, maybe it's a little ridiculous that 3 conferences make up the majority of the top 25.

Sports Network top 25
1. Richmond 3-1 CAA
2. James Madison 3-1 CAA
3. Appalachian State 1-2 Southern
4. Montana 3-0 Big Sky
5. Northern Iowa 2-1 Missouri Valley
6. McNeese State 1-1 Southland
7. New Hampshire 3-0 CAA
8. Elon 3-1 Southern
9. Cal Poly 2-1 Great West
10. North Dakota State 2-2 Missouri Valley
11. Eastern Washington 1-2 Big Sky
12. Central Arkansas 4-0 Southland
13. The Citadel 2-1 Southern
14. Wofford 2-1 Southern
15. Southern Illinois 1-1 Missouri Valley
16. Furman 3-1 Southern
17. Delaware 1-2 CAA
18. Massachusetts 2-2 CAA
19. Villanova 2-1 CAA
20. South Dakota State 2-2 Missouri Valley
21. Eastern Illinois 2-2 Ohio Valley
22. Western Illinois 2-2 Missouri Valley
23. Tennessee State 4-0 Ohio Valley
24. Georgia Southern 2-2 Southern
25. Liberty Flames 3-0 Big South

CAA 6
Southern 6
Missouri Valley 5
Big Sky 2
Ohio Valley 2
Southland 2
Big South 1
Great West 1

Not a challenge to your premise...but how would you rank 'em????

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM

I don't know enough about NAU this year to judge them against Umass.

Your team is ranked 6 spots higher than Delaware. How many more do you want? xoopsx

RabidRabbit
September 24th, 2008, 05:30 PM
In a quick answer - yes, these three conferences are that strong. And they will continue to demonstrate that in OOC's that they play. So far, of the ranked teams, how many have lost to an FCS NOT in these big 3?

Further, history over the last 4 years back up that boast in the play-offs.

The reason that the MoValley has 6 teams in the top 25 is because the league has just added the #1 & #2 teams from the GWFC the last two years.

What league is going to challenge this big 3 domination? I would venture that the Southland has the best chance as they play the MoValley schools OOC more than other leagues. This year, how is the NEC, Big South, Patriot, Ivy, Southland, Big Sky, GWFC fairing against these rated members of the MoValley, CAA, & SoCon?

Most of the "lesser" conferences have not played, will not play against these "name" teams with a history of success. SDSU is fortunate that the AD/Coach made a decision to play the best teams possible from the start of transition. Jacks had reasonable success (after getting slaughtered in the first 2 seasons), and have played into a super tough conference of our peers.

Will there be 6 ranked teams from these 3 conferences at the end of the season? Unlikely. But there may well be 4 or 5. Should a win by a "big 3" middle of the conference team against the best team from another conference count a bit more than a win by the best of another conference over a cellar dweller of the "big 3"? IMHO, yes, because that would show that the top of the other conferences is not better than the best of the "big 3".

It was very encouraging to see Montana play Cal Poly away. Likewise, Albany playing Delaware, Princeton playing the Citadel, Presbyterian playing App St, are all great match-ups OOC that will show how these other conferences are progressing in achieving a competativeness found in these three conferences. Until these other conferences start winning those OOC games, or FBS games, the domination of the top 25 will continue out of those three conferences.

xtwocentsx

citdog
September 24th, 2008, 05:33 PM
YES THEY ARE........DID MR. KLEAN WRITE THE TITLE FOR THIS THREAD?

EdubAlum
September 24th, 2008, 05:38 PM
YES THEY ARE........DID MR. KLEAN WRITE THE TITLE FOR THIS THREAD?

ya, i saw that after i hit submit, you can't edit it after the fact. thanks for providing useful information.

EdubAlum
September 24th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Not a challenge to your premise...but how would you rank 'em????

Honestly, i'm not sure, but i like rabid rabbits ideas

Col Hogan
September 24th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Honestly, i'm not sure, but i like rabid rabbits ideas

Well, then, as a newbie on this board, you have shown great wisdom..RR is a great man...his football IQ is very high...and his post is right on...xthumbsupx

I'm not sure my school is ranked too low or too high right now...I know we have the talent to be top 10, but that talent has not shown it on the field...

Sooooo, we are where we are...

In no order, I agree that the CAA, SOCON and MVC top to bottom are the strongest...but the Big Sky is not a "lesser" conference by any means...

Syntax Error
September 24th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I really feel like people believe the CAA, Southern, and Missouri Valley conferences are overrated, at least in the polls. Does one conference REALLY have 6 top 25 teams. I find that hard to believe. I also find it hard to believe that 3 conferences make up 17 of the top 25...They make up 18 of the top 25 here. "The Colonial Athletic Association, the FCS’s largest league, the Missouri Valley Football, and Southern Conferences lead the way with six teams each in the Top 25; the Big Sky and Southland Conferences had two each, and the Ohio Valley and Great West Football Conferences plus the Ivy League were represented with one squad."

So not only does one conference have six top 25 teams, three do. Believe it.

Why do you think the are overrated?

FCS Go!
September 24th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Similar situation in FBS- 6 SEC, 5 Big 12, 4 Big 10. Usually the rest are Pac 10, ACC and Big East with 1 or 2 (at most) teams from the other conf. A BCS conf. with 5 in the top 25 is not unusual by any means.

GannonFan
September 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Not overrated at all - the playoffs over the past 20 years help support that, the OOC records over that same time support that, and their success against FBS teams support that. Hard to argue with so much evidence saying they aren't overrated.

Wolfman
September 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM
The Big Sky Conference used to be the best in the land, when Boise, Idaho, and Nevada were members. Now, it is a shell of its former self, with Montana dominating every season, and one other pretender challenging every year.

We are the Big Ten of FCS football, which poses a real problem come playoff time, when those 3-loss teams who visit Missoula every year are much better than the Big Sky teams we have beat-up on during the regular season. We are never ready for the calibre of teams who make the playoffs.

Another case for playing a better non-conference schedule.

uofmman1122
September 24th, 2008, 10:00 PM
The Big Sky Conference used to be the best in the land, when Boise, Idaho, and Nevada were members. Now, it is a shell of its former self, with Montana dominating every season, and one other pretender challenging every year.

We are the Big Ten of FCS football, which poses a real problem come playoff time, when those 3-loss teams who visit Missoula every year are much better than the Big Sky teams we have beat-up on during the regular season. We are never ready for the calibre of teams who make the playoffs.

Another case for playing a better non-conference schedule.Oh, I forgot...2004 and 2006 don't count, huh? xlolx

Nevermind the fact that we lost by one point to the winner of the "best conference in FCS" last year. You act like the Griz get blown out every year in the playoffs. Woe is me! The Griz aren't perfect! xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawl ingx

xlolxxlolxxlolx

DSUrocks07
September 24th, 2008, 11:24 PM

Why do you think the are overrated?

I pose the same question? xconfusedx What basis do you have that they are.

DOME
September 25th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I'd put the Panthers against you're eagles any day of the week, twice in Chattanooga.

DOME
September 25th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I'd put the Panthers against you're eagles any day of the week, twice in Chattanooga.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2008, 12:19 AM

Another case for playing a better non-conference schedule.

You normally just post things based on your feeling Wolfman so here's some numbers that refute your emotions. You are obviously correct on 2005 and 2007 because we lost in the first round and were not prepared but for the 2004 and 2006 seasons here are the numbers for BSC vs. Playoff opponents (which are traditionally the best the other conferences have to offer)
2004 BSC avg. scores for all games 38-24 Griz
Playoff opponents avg. score for all games 39-17 Griz

2006 BSC avg. scores for all games 32-16 Griz
Playoff opponents avg. score for all games 23-9

It looks like the competition did it's part in the BSC to prepare us for the playoffs but in one of those years there was ONE team in the nation that was better then us and in the other there were 2 and possibly a third.

It is with great regret to the rest of the Griz fans that we do not have a visionary such as yourself leading the team but we will just have to settle with what we have.

GolfingGriz
September 25th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Simply put they are that good. The playoffs, which in my opinion are the best measure, more than verify this fact. Look at the past 6 champions. They were all from the three power conferences(App x3, JMU, Deleware, and Western Kentucky when they were part of what was the Gateway). Now look at the teams they have played in those championship games. Deleware, UMass, Northern Iowa, Montana, Colgate, and McNeese. Three out of six were in the power three. Before that the facts become even more staggering. Between 1991 and 2001 the power conferences have won 9 out of 11 championships with the only exceptions being Montana's two championships in 95 and 01. In those two games Montana played Marshall and Furman from the Southern Conference. The most jaw dropping fact is that since 1991 there have been a total of 34 championship game participants, 25 have been from the big three. The Big Sky has 6 spots, the Southland 2, and the Patriot 1. Out of the 17 championships won since 91, 15 are from the power conferences. Yeah, they are that good.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2008, 12:30 AM

That 3 point victory over them in 2005 gives room for a lot of chest thumping like that.

bluehenbillk
September 25th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I think I've given leagues outside of those 3 too much credit the past years. I got sucked into the Hampton hype a few years ago & I thought Montana wasn't very good last year & it was proven losing to Wofford. It's really a dominant 2 leagues with the CAA & Southern on top & the MVC running 3rd. It plays out that way in the postseason now for how many years in a row?? Until someone proves differently on the field you can piss into the wind as much as you want.

appfan2008
September 25th, 2008, 07:26 AM
History supports where the teams are ranked those three conferences along with montana have been the class of the fcs playoffs for the last 20 years...

ChickenMan
September 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM

The playoffs results seem to prove otherwise...

Playoff wins.. by conference.. since 2000

Big Sky - 13 (Montana 11)

Gateway (MV) - 21

CAA (A10) - 32

SoCon - 32

ChickenMan
September 25th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdubAlum

Gateway (MV) - 21

CAA (A10) - 32

SoCon - 32

MR. CHICKEN
September 25th, 2008, 08:50 AM
BAH PLACIN' 4-5-6 SQWADS FROM DUH TOP TREY...INTA DUH POLL MIX....WHAT HAPPENS...IS DAT....DUH QUALITY SQWADS.....KNOCK EACH OTHERAH OFF....ALSO DUH TOUGHNESS O' DUH OTHERAH CONFERENCE TEAMS.......WHOM.....MAY PROVIDE...DUH PROVERBIAL UPSET....CAUSIN' SOME VERY GOOD TEAMS.....TA B/COME BOTTOM FEEDERS IN DUH TOP 25.......THUS ENHANCIN'...DUH INFLATED RANKIN'.......O' OTHERAH CONFERENCE AUTO/QUALIFIERS......WHO WHEN DUH PARTAY STARTS AFTERAH THANKSGIVIN'.......USUALLY GET THUMPED IN DUH EARLY ROUNDS......AH GIVE YA'S.......MCNEESE STATE....HAMPTON......E. KENTUCKY......PATRIOT....ETC.......ZOWIE!...AH WROTE ALL DIS.......AN' ALCOHOL ISN'T UH FACTOR....xtwocentsxxhurrayxxtwocentsx.......BRAWK !

uofmman1122
September 25th, 2008, 09:00 AM
AH WROTE ALL DIS.......AN' ALCOHOL ISN'T UH FACTOR....xtwocentsxxhurrayxxtwocentsx.......BRAWK !It better not be, this early in the morning. xlolx

Hoyadestroya85
September 25th, 2008, 09:12 AM
this thread stinks of sour grapes

BisonBacker
September 25th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I disagree I think the thread has proven with facts why the three are placed where they are. I've enjoyed reading everyones posts.

BisonBacker
September 25th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I disagree I think the thread has proven with facts why the three are placed where they are. I've enjoyed reading everyones posts.

OL FU
September 25th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Also, individual pollsters may not have 6 teams from a conference in their poll, but when the polls are aggregated 6 teams get enough votes to get in. All that is saying is that the top teams in the conference are close enough to be considered and may or may not fall out as teams get beaten.

Sir William
September 25th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Simply put they are that good. The playoffs, which in my opinion are the best measure, more than verify this fact. Look at the past 6 champions. They were all from the three power conferences(App x3, JMU, Deleware, and Western Kentucky when they were part of what was the Gateway). Now look at the teams they have played in those championship games. Deleware, UMass, Northern Iowa, Montana, Colgate, and McNeese. Three out of six were in the power three. Before that the facts become even more staggering. Between 1991 and 2001 the power conferences have won 9 out of 11 championships with the only exceptions being Montana's two championships in 95 and 01. In those two games Montana played Marshall and Furman from the Southern Conference. The most jaw dropping fact is that since 1991 there have been a total of 34 championship game participants, 25 have been from the big three. The Big Sky has 6 spots, the Southland 2, and the Patriot 1. Out of the 17 championships won since 91, 15 are from the power conferences. Yeah, they are that good.

Can't be said any better than this. Great post.

bigchocolate
September 25th, 2008, 11:06 PM

Gateway (MV) - 21

CAA (A10) - 32

SoCon - 32

I personally think 6 teams from any conferences in the top 25 is a bit much. Additionally, If the field is saturated, basic statistics says the probability of having more wins is a no brainer. If you're only counting playoff wins and not loses, the density of the selected field will automatically skew the numbers. Are they the best three conferences top to bottom, absolutely...are the numbers being skewed...YES. When a team's downward movement in the polls after a lost is a function of them losing to a "RANKED" team then yes this density plays a role.

soccerguy315
September 25th, 2008, 11:40 PM
does the OP think that the 5 teams from the CAA last year proved their worth in the playoffs? Or was the conference overrated?