PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky announces suspension of EWU Player

Syntax Error
September 23rd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Big Sky announces suspension of EWU Player

OGDEN, Utah (Sept. 23, 2008) - In accordance with NCAA and Big Sky Conference rules, the Big Sky Conference has suspended Eastern Washington football player Charlie Wulff, league Commissioner Doug Fullerton announced Tuesday.

Wulff will serve his suspension during the first half of Eastern Washington’s conference game on Sept. 27 against Idaho State .

Wulff, a 6-foot, 270-pound senior center from Woodland , Calif. , was ejected during the fourth quarter of Eastern Washington’s 52-31 victory over Western Washington on Sept. 20. Wulff was disqualified for fighting, as he threw a punch at a Western Washington player.

NCAA rules require a player ejected for fighting in the second half of a game to be suspended for the first half of the next scheduled contest.

The 2008 NCAA rule book defines fighting as “any attempt by a player, coach, or squad member in uniform to strike an opponent in a combative manner unrelated to football. Such acts include, but are not limited to: an attempt to strike an opponent with arm (s), hand (s), leg (s), or foot (feet), whether or not there is contact.’’

NCAA rules state that if a player is disqualified for fighting a second time during the season, he shall be disqualified for that game and suspended for the remainder of the season.Official Big Sky Conf release

Wulff, that sounds familiar at EWU.

UNI Pike
September 23rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
1/2 a game suspension? xnonox

That is lame

elkmcc
September 23rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
Official Big Sky Conf release

Former EWU Head Coach Paul Wulff's nephew.

elkmcc
September 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
Official Big Sky Conf release

double post

grizband
September 23rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
The NCAA should follow the NFHS rules for fighting, which basically state any player disqualified for fighting is thrown out of the current game, and must sit out the next game as well.

UNI Pike
September 23rd, 2008, 05:23 PM
The NCAA should follow the NFHS rules for fighting, which basically state any player disqualified for fighting is thrown out of the current game, and must sit out the next game as well.

Second that.

Though I do like the second foul = out for the season

Bronco
September 23rd, 2008, 06:37 PM
I thought EWU lost their starting center in the game with an injury.
is this the backup?

Screamin_Eagle174
September 23rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
I thought EWU lost their starting center in the game with an injury.
is this the backup?

No, we never lost our starting center to injury... Wulff is the starting center (and most experienced guy on our line) and was ejected for said incident. Kind of ironic... the Spokesman Review just did a piece on him a week or so ago.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=8303#more

There's also a short video piece if you scroll down the page: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/cover.asp?keywords=eagles

That's unfortunate.

mtgrizfan4life
September 23rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Can this suspension take effect for the GRIZ game. I think they should appeal this decision and get a few extra W's in the meantime.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 24th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Can this suspension take effect for the GRIZ game. I think they should appeal this decision and get a few extra W's in the meantime.

Not like it would matter... Montana would need Nichols, Boyce, Davis, Brown, Alexander, Hart, Peach, AND Wulff to be suspended. xlolx xlolx

Grizzaholic
September 24th, 2008, 01:22 AM
When can the Big Sky Conference get SE banned from posting on the conference????

uofmman1122
September 24th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Not like it would matter... Montana would need Nichols, Boyce, Davis, Brown, Alexander, Hart, Peach, AND Wulff to be suspended. xlolx xlolxIMO, our corners this season are a lot better than our corners were last year. Trumaine Johnson is a BEAST!

As the season goes on, I'm not seeing EWU as the unstoppable force I thought they would be. It will be interesting. xwhistlex

catatac
September 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM
IMO, our corners this season are a lot better than our corners were last year. Trumaine Johnson is a BEAST!

As the season goes on, I'm not seeing EWU as the unstoppable force I thought they would be. It will be interesting. xwhistlex

I think Trumaine Johnson has huge potential... but I watched the UC Davis game and wasn't that impressed... he was out of position several times. Yes, he has 3 INT's... but 2 of those were gifts and don't really reflect anything about his corner play. He does have one legit INT though. His tackling needs some work too.