PDA

View Full Version : Who is happy with your coach?

GrizzlyBill
October 31st, 2005, 08:36 PM
Way more posts on this board are critical than appreciative. I want to point out one coach who is doing a lot of things right. Bobby Hauck has brought more excitement to Montana football than we have had in some time. We have had more than our share of winners in the past, but in recent years (since Don Read) there has been, IMHO, a lack of originality and style. The style of play and the intangible things like attitude, enthusiasm, sense of pride, fun, etc. that are exhibited by the Griz since BH came to Missoula, is a new source of joy and pride for a lot of folks.

If the man is really competitive and personally out to prove a lot more, he will probably move to the NFL. Otherwise, and until that time, I hope he remains a Griz. He coaches a smart, bold kind of football that is always interesting, if not always pleasant to watch (not always “mistake free” or even free of bonehead play). Although the tradition of winning and a class program at Montana did not originate with him, he is certainly making believers of people. It is no small feat to have a team that is perennially taken seriously nationally as one of the ones to beat, if your team is going anywhere that year.

An example of what I like: after we scored a late TD against Cal Poly, with the outcome seemingly assured, there were howls of outrage at “running up the score” when the Griz lined up to go for a 2 point conversion. Then, they saw the QB take a knee to let time expire in the most certain way of preventing any possible bad result. That, folks, was clear thinking and smart game management, and IMHO—a classy performance.

I know there are other good ones around the country, but I am happy with BH here in Big Sky Country!

GrizSweeper
October 31st, 2005, 08:45 PM
Way more posts on this board are critical than appreciative. I want to point out one coach who is doing a lot of things right. Bobby Hauck has brought more excitement to Montana football than we have had in some time. We have had more than our share of winners in the past, but in recent years (since Don Read) there has been, IMHO, a lack of originality and style. The style of play and the intangible things like attitude, enthusiasm, sense of pride, fun, etc. that are exhibited by the Griz since BH came to Missoula, is a new source of joy and pride for a lot of folks.

If the man is really competitive and personally out to prove a lot more, he will probably move to the NFL. Otherwise, and until that time, I hope he remains a Griz. He coaches a smart, bold kind of football that is always interesting, if not always pleasant to watch (not always “mistake free” or even free of bonehead play). Although the tradition of winning and a class program at Montana did not originate with him, he is certainly making believers of people. It is no small feat to have a team that is perennially taken seriously nationally as one of the ones to beat, if your team is going anywhere that year.

An example of what I like: after we scored a late TD against Cal Poly, with the outcome seemingly assured, there were howls of outrage at “running up the score” when the Griz lined up to go for a 2 point conversion. Then, they saw the QB take a knee to let time expire in the most certain way of preventing any possible bad result. That, folks, was clear thinking and smart game management, and IMHO—a classy performance.

I know there are other good ones around the country, but I am happy with BH here in Big Sky Country!

the qb didn't kneel in order to let time expire, the clock doesn't run on those plays anyway, it was so Poly wouldn't block it and run it back for two thus pulling them within a touchdown

crunifan
October 31st, 2005, 08:55 PM
I think most of us UNI fans are pretty happy with Farley. At least I know I am! :)

rabidsaluki
October 31st, 2005, 08:56 PM
Saluki Nation is damned proud of Jerry Kill. He has resurrected Saluki Football from the depths of hell and brought some much needed pride to that flailing program.

SIU F-ball has never really been the in thing, but now - We applaude his every effort and pray he never leaves.

DTSpider
October 31st, 2005, 08:56 PM
We're happy, understatement, in Richmond with Clawson.

GrizzlyBill
October 31st, 2005, 08:59 PM
the qb didn't kneel in order to let time expire, the clock doesn't run on those plays anyway, it was so Poly wouldn't block it and run it back for two thus pulling them within a touchdown

Good point, Sweeper.

SochorField
October 31st, 2005, 09:01 PM
Bob Biggs = GREAT

Just a GREAT coaching staff at UC Davis. 36 straight winning seasons!

Tribe4SF
October 31st, 2005, 09:02 PM
We have a legend at W&M.

Jimmye Laycock.

Happy? I'd say so!

GrizzlyBill
October 31st, 2005, 09:10 PM
Am I wrong in assuming that all you happy guys are supporting teams that are currently winning?

It's not just the winning. We won under Mick Dennehy, but I dispised his style. We won with Joe Glenn, but it is just more fun now. There is some kind of spirit that is infectuous. Thus, over 23K in the stands every game. That equals about half the population of Missoula!

I know, I know. We start losing, there they will go.

GeauxLions94
October 31st, 2005, 09:36 PM
In his first season as head coach, Dennis Roland is building our program with class and character and I think things are REALLY beginning to take off with him in control. :nod:

fuEMO
October 31st, 2005, 09:38 PM
Bobby Lamb. Homegrown coach that still takes alot of chances. And takes the blame for losses (not like Tommy Bowden). Sometimes a little bit of a micro-manager but is learning to trust his players. As a recruiter one of the best. Each recruiting class has gotten better and better. Furman used to be know for technique and disciplined players not for athletes. Bobby is fighting the Vandys, Northeasterns, Conference USA and A10 schools coming down south for players that can run and he's coming out on top for alot of them.

Also think it takes a whole coaching staff and Furman's played together and now coach together. All but 2 coaches are FU grads.

Contray to what our APP brothers think Furman is going to have better, faster more athletic players for the next couple of years, the 07 team will be loaded on both sides of the ball.

Sly Fox
October 31st, 2005, 09:44 PM
OK, since you asked I have to tell we're not happy at Liberty. We've had fans from other schools we played come on our board to tell us we need to a new coach. That's how sad it has become.

elkmcc
October 31st, 2005, 10:01 PM
Am I wrong in assuming that all you happy guys are supporting teams that are currently winning?

It's not just the winning. We won under Mick Dennehy, but I dispised his style. We won with Joe Glenn, but it is just more fun now. There is some kind of spirit that is infectuous. Thus, over 23K in the stands every game. That equals about half the population of Missoula!

I know, I know. We start losing, there they will go.

Yes Bill, there is a direct correllation between the number of posts a person makes and the percentage of wins to total games played of that persons' "team". Fans of losing teams (other than ralph) seem to disappear as the losses mount. I guess they don't have much to say. Winners love to gloat.

I didn't think there was anyone who "dispised" Mick. He might not have had the most dynamic of personalities but nevertheless a pretty darn upstanding guy IMO. Hauck brings back a real "Monto" feeling to UM that I think we lost when JG was here. As a Montana native myself, I sense that. Hauck and Mick understand the rivalry with the Cats, Joe never did.

DaGriz
October 31st, 2005, 10:05 PM
Hauck and Mick understand the rivalry with the Cats, Joe never did.

I agree with that, that's why I don't agree when Cat fans say Hauck doesn't respect their program like Kramer respects ours and Hauck is an arse for it. Hauck is a Montanan and I would assume grew up hating the Cats, Kramer is from Washington I think, and to him it's a big game but not nearly as big of a deal.

colgate13
October 31st, 2005, 10:10 PM
Dick Biddle walks on water at Colgate. Before he is done, he will be the best coach in Patriot League history (if he isn't already).

barechestcat
October 31st, 2005, 10:18 PM
I agree with that, that's why I don't agree when Cat fans say Hauck doesn't respect their program like Kramer respects ours and Hauck is an arse for it. Hauck is a Montanan and I would assume grew up hating the Cats, Kramer is from Washington I think, and to him it's a big game but not nearly as big of a deal.

Kramer knows perfectly well how big of a game it is and does take it personally. One of the reasons he got the job originally was because he said he would beat the Griz (and he has :) ).

The funny thing on these posts is that there are a lot more happy people at this point in the season then there was just a month ago. Even your own site had a lot more critical people on it then and more people starting to praise him now. Why? Because you are playing well at this moment.

Coach Hauck reacted like a dejected fan the first year we beat him in Missoula. He did not give credit to the 'Cats and that's what upset a lot of us. But, I will say that he seems to have started understanding his role as head coach vs fan more recently. But, we'll see how he does when we roll ya in November :D

FargoBison
October 31st, 2005, 10:22 PM
I am very happy with Bison head coach Craig Bohl who came in from Nebraska(D-Cordinator) and was given a Bison team that went 2-8 the year before he got here and now NDSU has gone on to two consecutive 8-3 seasons under his leadership. Without a coach the caliber of Bohl I don't think NDSU would have been nearly as successful as they have been in their transition to IAA from DII. Bohl is the type of coach that expects not only the best from his players on field but off the field as well. He is truely a class act and I hope that NDSU will be able to hold on to him for years to come.

barechestcat
October 31st, 2005, 10:24 PM
In regards to Coach Kramer, it's not quite consensus of being thrilled with him but almost. There are those who feel if this team has not played at all to its talent level yet and that if there isn't a deep run into the playoffs this year they will have underachieved. That brings some naysayers out to say if he can't do it with this squad, will he ever?

Personally, I love the guy. He has re-built this program into a nationally ranked team. He has rejuvenated the spirit and enthusiasm of the fans; we have sold out every home game this year for the first time ever. The money from boosters is flowing more then ever. And, when you sit down and listen to him in interviews or booster events he just makes you want to jump up and pump out some pushups.

Bottom line: he's doing a lot of great things to establish a second power program in the state of Montana!!!

skinny_uncle
October 31st, 2005, 10:55 PM
Saluki Nation is damned proud of Jerry Kill. He has resurrected Saluki Football from the depths of hell and brought some much needed pride to that flailing program.

SIU F-ball has never really been the in thing, but now - We applaude his every effort and pray he never leaves.
A big amen to all of that.

Coach Kill (http://thesouthern.com/articles/2005/10/27/sports/columnists/klee/10000895.txt)

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/silu/galleries/FB102205/dsc_0074.jpg

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 31st, 2005, 11:46 PM
Dick Biddle walks on water at Colgate. Before he is done, he will be the best coach in Patriot League history (if he isn't already).

I agree that Biddle walks on water in Hamilton but i don't know if he is or will be considered the best coach in PL history. Although i might let ya have Biddle as the best coach ever if you'll agree that Lehigh has been the best program since the PL began.

Dick Biddle Colgate; 81-34 (1996-present) 4 time PL Champion, 2003 National Runnerup

Others to consider
Mark Duffner Holy Cross; 60-5-1 (1986-1991) 5 time PL Champion

Bill Russo Lafayette; 103-98-4 (1981-1999) 3 time PL Champion, Eddie Robinson Award winner 1988

Kevin Higgins Lehigh; 56-21-1 (1994-2000) 4 time PL Champion

Pete Lembo Lehigh; 42-11 (2001-Present) 2 time PL Champion, 2001 Eddie Robinson winner

footballer23
October 31st, 2005, 11:55 PM
Craig Bohl is the man! Long live sweet Bohl!

GrizzlyBill
November 1st, 2005, 12:23 AM
Bobby Lamb. Homegrown coach that still takes alot of chances. And takes the blame for losses (not like Tommy Bowden). Sometimes a little bit of a micro-manager but is learning to trust his players. As a recruiter one of the best. Each recruiting class has gotten better and better. Furman used to be know for technique and disciplined players not for athletes. Bobby is fighting the Vandys, Northeasterns, Conference USA and A10 schools coming down south for players that can run and he's coming out on top for alot of them.

Also think it takes a whole coaching staff and Furman's played together and now coach together. All but 2 coaches are FU grads.

Contray to what our APP brothers think Furman is going to have better, faster more athletic players for the next couple of years, the 07 team will be loaded on both sides of the ball.

That's what I wanted to hear about. That's impressive, EMO. That's why games like one 2 or 3 years ago between us and you in December are so much fun. Real regional competion. It's not like in the NFL. They guys are bought and paid for, and come from anywhere, gone tomorrow in a trade.

Actually BH's mom was the bank teller at my bank. He is pretty much "home grown." Plus position coaches Tim and Tom Hauck, Bobby's brothers. You may remember Tim.

SeattleGriz
November 1st, 2005, 12:24 AM
Yes Bill, there is a direct correllation between the number of posts a person makes and the percentage of wins to total games played of that persons' "team". Fans of losing teams (other than ralph) seem to disappear as the losses mount. I guess they don't have much to say. Winners love to gloat.

I didn't think there was anyone who "dispised" Mick. He might not have had the most dynamic of personalities but nevertheless a pretty darn upstanding guy IMO. Hauck brings back a real "Monto" feeling to UM that I think we lost when JG was here. As a Montana native myself, I sense that. Hauck and Mick understand the rivalry with the Cats, Joe never did.

My step mom sure despised Mick. She grew up in Butte and had quite a few stories about dealing with Mick and after hearing them, I certainly didn't think that well of him. I personally thought he rode the wave that Read created.

GrizzlyBill
November 1st, 2005, 12:31 AM

Yeah, Elk, you're right. I didn't know Mr. Dennehy personally. I apologize to him and those who care about him. "Despise" was a poor choice of words. What I didn't like was the unimaginative style of play I thought he coached.

GrizzlyBill
November 1st, 2005, 12:39 AM
In regards to Coach Kramer, it's not quite consensus of being thrilled with him but almost. There are those who feel if this team has not played at all to its talent level yet and that if there isn't a deep run into the playoffs this year they will have underachieved. That brings some naysayers out to say if he can't do it with this squad, will he ever?

Personally, I love the guy. He has re-built this program into a nationally ranked team. He has rejuvenated the spirit and enthusiasm of the fans; we have sold out every home game this year for the first time ever. The money from boosters is flowing more then ever. And, when you sit down and listen to him in interviews or booster events he just makes you want to jump up and pump out some pushups.

Bottom line: he's doing a lot of great things to establish a second power program in the state of Montana!!!

Right on, Brother!
Yep. Intrastate rivalry--ah yes. We need worthy opponents, or the wins are cheapened.

JALMOND
November 1st, 2005, 01:23 AM
I must say the feeling in Portland is an overall satisfaction with coach Walsh and what he has done at PSU. I sense he feels there is still some unfinished business to take care of with PSU and the Big Sky so he does not believe he has done everything. Football at PSU is tough, not only do you have the conference to play in, but you have to constantly sell the program every year to primary Duck and Beaver boosters. Coach Walsh has been at it now at PSU for 13 years, has seen our transformation from DII, and has molded us into a competitive program in the Big Sky. There still is a lot for PSU do in I-AA (a Big Sky championship, a playoff win, a playoff home game), that keeps Walsh coming back.

CoastalFan2005
November 1st, 2005, 01:37 AM
I'd say that CCU has got to be pretty happy with David Bennett...

CatFan22
November 1st, 2005, 02:07 AM
I am happy with the head coach Mike Kramer, but I have been disappointed with some of the play calling by our offensive coordinator, Don Bailey.

lucchesicourt
November 1st, 2005, 06:00 AM
Who cannot be happy with the coaching at UCD. 36 straight winning seasons and probably half of those wins against schollie schools while UVD had none. I see us only get better and better over the next two years as we get from 35(currently) to 63 schollies. There's nothing negative to say about this coaching staff, as has been the case since 1971 (I think) when Jim Sochor took over the helm. Bob Biggs is every bit as good as his mentor, Sochor!!!
Props to Mike Moroski and Fred Arp (40 years with UCD as DL coach).

catamount man
November 1st, 2005, 06:33 AM
Considering what Kent Briggs has been through in this offseason, I won't lambast him as bad as some, but our staff has a knack for bonehead decisions on a somewhat regular basis. But hey, we're 4-3 heading into November, best record this late in the season since 2001, and if we can knock off Wofford and App.State...who knows? Yes, I'm happy with Kent Briggs, I just want a consistent damn offense to compliment Geoff Collin's AWESOME defense. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ysubigred
November 1st, 2005, 07:12 AM
Some Pengunites were feeling better about Heacock untill he went 0-15 last week in UNI against top 25 ranked teams :bang: YSU hasn't sniffed the playoff's in the five years he's been there and every week he shocks us even more with his super play calling and personal substitutions.

To answer your question sir? NO NO NO NO NO NO !!! :splat:

LacesOut
November 1st, 2005, 07:16 AM
I just love Tubby Raymond. Nice elderly man who still knows his football. LOL

KC Keeler is ok. Good seller and recruiter, not too sure about his game day X's and O's. Other UD fans who see every game could be more insightfull.

OL FU
November 1st, 2005, 07:53 AM

fuEMO. very good post. I see Lamb and FU only getting better in the future.

DaGriz
November 1st, 2005, 08:25 AM
If Weber had any fans I think they would love their new coach this year. They go from one of the jokes of the Big Sky to taking us to the wire at our place and the Cats to the wire and then beat EWU and ISU. He has turned that program around in a hurry. He should do very well when he actually has his own players he has recruited.

colgate13
November 1st, 2005, 08:29 AM
I agree that Biddle walks on water in Hamilton but i don't know if he is or will be considered the best coach in PL history. Although i might let ya have Biddle as the best coach ever if you'll agree that Lehigh has been the best program since the PL began.

Dick Biddle Colgate; 81-34 (1996-present) 4 time PL Champion, 2003 National Runnerup

Others to consider
Mark Duffner Holy Cross; 60-5-1 (1986-1991) 5 time PL Champion

Bill Russo Lafayette; 103-98-4 (1981-1999) 3 time PL Champion, Eddie Robinson Award winner 1988

Kevin Higgins Lehigh; 56-21-1 (1994-2000) 4 time PL Champion

Pete Lembo Lehigh; 42-11 (2001-Present) 2 time PL Champion, 2001 Eddie Robinson winner

You left Biddle's resume a bit short:

-AFCA I-AA Coach of the year
- Only third coach in Division I history to have a winning season after going 0-11
-Eddie Robinson finalist
-never had a losing season

More importantly though, I think Biddle is still around at Colgate in 7-10 years. If he keeps producing like he has for the last ten, he'll have 150+ league wins and some more titles under his belt. I think we've only just hit the middle part of what Biddle is going to do at Colgate.

Oh, and Lehigh has certainly been the best program since the PL began... but Colgate's been the best for the last 10 years. ;)