PDA

View Full Version : Philly Inquirer: Needs Education About Delaware Football

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20080922_Gonzo___Words_that_strike_fear_in_Eagles_ fans.html

The funny thing was: I actually thought he MEANT titanic struggle before I realized that he was attempting to be tongue-in-cheek!

Before Saturday's titanic Delaware vs. Furman football clash - please tell me you didn't miss the big game! - Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden gave the Blue Hens a little pep talk.

"I was out in Ohio," the senator supposedly said. "I told the folks in Ohio that we'd kick Ohio State's &%$!"

You'll have to speculate about Biden's word choice. Even though it's regularly employed on programs like Everybody Loves Raymond, not to mention used by radio shows everywhere, The Inquirer edits it out. Because the word is so uncouth, so very scandalous, your eyes would undoubtedly pop out of your noggin upon reading it.

I digress. There were clearly some problems with Biden's remarks. First (and most obviously), why tick off Ohio when you're trying to court votes and win an election? Second, Furman is in South Carolina, not Ohio, which makes the Buckeyes reference even more gratuitous. Third, in the history of Delaware athletics, has anyone ever gotten genuinely jazzed up before a Blue Hens game? That had to be shtick. Temple softball has more juice.

By the way, the Blue Hens lost. Seems Biden isn't such a hot motivational speaker. Good thing politics don't require you to, you know, inspire millions of people.

xeyebrowx

xspankx

Eight Legger
September 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Wow...was that guy writing the article from Las Vegas? What an asinine comment.

Franks Tanks
September 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20080922_Gonzo___Words_that_strike_fear_in_Eagles_ fans.html

The funny thing was: I actually thought he MEANT titanic struggle before I realized that he was attempting to be tongue-in-cheek!

xeyebrowx

xspankx

Wow-- Delwawere gets way more fans then and would beat Temple. Who wrote this crap Stephen A. Smith.