PDA

View Full Version : San Diego gunning for a seed... (playoff participant part #1)

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2005, 04:44 PM
Just trying to make a little noise for the Toreros. If Hampton is gunning for a seed, than we are too! :deadhorse (don't kid yourself to think that we wouldn't give them all they could handle)

USD Toreros (8-1, 4-0 PFL) have won 5 straight games and the team has now won 13 of their last 14 games. In the last 14 games, the Toreros are 13-1! One of the best records in Division I-AA football during that stretch.

Prior to the 63-21 victory over the weekend, the Toreros found themselves ranked in 18 Top-25 categories for all I-AA schools... the Torero defense finds itself ranked in ten areas, and in the Top-5 in three categories... the Torero defense is 2nd in scoring defense (12.1 ppg), 4th in 4th-down defense efficiency (18.2%) and pass efficiency defense (88.67 rating), 7th in total defense (253.88 ypg), 9th in 3rd down defense efficiency (29.3%; 29x99), 10th in pass defense (143.0), 15th in turnover margin (+0.88), 19th in rushing defense (110.9 ypg), 20th in kickoff return defense (17.07 yards per return), and 22nd in passes intercepted (10). The USD offense ranks 3rd in fumbles lost (3), 4th in 4th-down efficiency (84.6%; 11x13), 5th in 3rd-down efficiency (52.4%; 57x110), 5th in total offense (471.38 ypg), 9th in turnovers lost (9), 10th in scoring offense (37.38), 11th in pass efficiency (155.98), and 16th in passing offense (275.4). Individually, QB Josh Johnson is 3rd in points responsible for (18.25), 9th in pass efficiency (156.9), and 12th in completions per game (21.75) and total offense (283.4); JT Rogan is 12th in all-purpose yards per game (141.63) and 20th in rushing (106.63 ypg); Josh Brisco is 16th in interceptions (0.50 per game).

Toreros are playing some great football and are on a roll. A great chance to finish the year at an amazing 11-1 ! We would be eligible with the 7 Division I win criteria. We are currently in the Sportsnetwork Rankings and our GPI is gonna get better in the next several weeks. (Will it be enough? :confused: )

Our only loss this year was to Princeton at New Jersey. They returned an interception 99 yards for a score with about a minute to go. We let one get away, but defintely played well if not outplaying them altogether. We also beat Yale. I think if we had Hampton's schedule we would be undefeated, and if we played in that conference, we would win it. Obviously that is my biased opinion, but why should San Diego not get a good look at the playoffs?

I say we get in as the #16 team, i know that is not how it works anymore, but put us in the West bracket. We would go on the road and play the #1 or #2 seed. Cal Poly is on a slide, Eastern Washington and Montana State could falter, Portland State just lost again, only one team might get in from the Southland conference. None from the Great West... how many from the Big Sky?

Why shouldn't USD get a more serious look at making the playoffs is Hampton is going to get that much attention. :bang:

TypicalTribe
October 31st, 2005, 04:47 PM
As I said in another thread:

Torero, as we discussed last week, San Diego's only chance is for the committee to be left with few other options and, quite frankly, your boys got a lot of help this weekend.

In all seriousness, there is a chance that there will be fewer than 16 teams that finish the season with fewer than 4 losses. While this is no longer the standard, San Diego at least will get a look if the other option is to take a 7-4 team. It's still a long, long, long shot, but because of the craziness of this season, it's still at least possible.

Keep hope alive.

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2005, 04:51 PM
It really was a perfect weekend for USD... thanks for the hope Tribe Fan. It seemed like every team I cheered for this weekend won. All we can do now is try and play out the rest of our schedule to the best of our ability, really showing people something.

Who should we start to root against so to speak? Keep having the Big Sky beat each other out, Cal Poly keep losing.... Southland conference just one team? I know we need a lot to happen, but it is getting to the point where I honestly think it is more than just a pipe dream.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 31st, 2005, 04:56 PM
I'm under the impression that San Diego had 4 sub 1-AA games this year? So even if they go 11-1 they'll technically be 7-1. While i would like to see a mid-major get a chance at the playoffs once, with a schedule like San Diego's i think it will be almost impossible. Albany is the only team i think that could get a bid as a mid-mjor since they usually schedule 2-3 real tough games, but unfortuntely for them never win 'em.

rokamortis
October 31st, 2005, 04:59 PM
In the last 14 games, the Toreros are 13-1! The best in Division I-AA football in the last 14 games.

Since you brought it up - CCU is 13-1 over the last 14 games as well. Heck, we are 14-1 over the last 15 and 15-1 over our last 16. ;)

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2005, 05:08 PM
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers, yes... i should have mentioned your run during the last 16 games as well. :D

I think we are just as good as Hampton and Coastal Carolina. Unfortunately for us, we don't benefit from the East Coast Bias in football that you and Hampton will. That makes it even harder to make the playoffs. :eek:

Darn East Coast Bias :bang:

TypicalTribe
October 31st, 2005, 05:13 PM
It really was a perfect weekend for USD... thanks for the hope Tribe Fan. It seemed like every team I cheered for this weekend won. All we can do now is try and play out the rest of our schedule to the best of our ability, really showing people something.

Who should we start to root against so to speak? Keep having the Big Sky beat each other out, Cal Poly keep losing.... Southland conference just one team? I know we need a lot to happen, but it is getting to the point where I honestly think it is more than just a pipe dream.

A short list of teams to root for by conference for this weekend:

A-10
UNH over Hofstra
JMU over W&M
Delaware over UMass

Big Sky
NAU over Montana
EWU over Cal Poly

Gateway
UNI over WKU
SIU over YSU

MEAC
Hampton over BCC

Patriot
Lafayette over Colgate

Southern
Furman over GSU
No ASU shocker at LSU

Southland
McNeese St over Texas St.
Nicholls St over NW St.

SWAC
Grambling over Alabama St. - this would put Alabama A&M in the SWAC title game and an 8-3 ASU team would most likely not be considered.

rokamortis
October 31st, 2005, 05:26 PM
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers, yes... i should have mentioned your run during the last 16 games as well. :D

I think we are just as good as Hampton and Coastal Carolina. Unfortunately for us, we don't benefit from the East Coast Bias in football that you and Hampton will. That makes it even harder to make the playoffs. :eek:

I think we get looked down upon more than you guys. There isn't a lot of love from any coast for the beach chickens. I think you could say the same thing for the MEAC - people tend to be negative against them as well. If people do discriminate against the Toreros it may be more of a non-scholarship bias than east coast - but remember that Coastal and Hampton are in the same boat as you for the most part.

Torero Tradition
October 31st, 2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks! Looks like I have a lot of football to watch this weekend...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 31st, 2005, 06:21 PM
... There isn't a lot of love from any coast for the beach chickens...

:lmao:

The Beach Chickens!!!

Coastal89
October 31st, 2005, 06:40 PM
What's a Torero?

Damn it feels good to finally be able to ask that question about another mascot. :D

Sly Fox
October 31st, 2005, 06:52 PM
Everytime I hear USD's mascot, the operatic music comes pouring into my ears ("Toreador ..").

Seriously, the chances of a non-scholie team getting an at-large are as close to zero as possible. But keep the faith nonetheless.

I would be most concerned with trying to keep your coach right about now. This little run of yours has given him a great deal of credibility. Combine that with his name recognition and he's going to start finding other options.

blukeys
October 31st, 2005, 06:55 PM
Just trying to make a little noise for the Toreros. If Hampton is gunning for a seed, than we are too! :deadhorse (don't kid yourself to think that we wouldn't give them all they could handle)

Prior to the 63-21 victory over the weekend, the Toreros found themselves ranked in 18 Top-25 categories for all I-AA schools... the Torero defense finds itself ranked in ten areas, and in the Top-5 in three categories... the Torero defense is 2nd in scoring defense (12.1 ppg), 4th in 4th-down defense efficiency (18.2%) and pass efficiency defense (88.67 rating), 7th in total defense (253.88 ypg), 9th in 3rd down defense efficiency (29.3%; 29x99), 10th in pass defense (143.0), 15th in turnover margin (+0.88), 19th in rushing defense (110.9 ypg), 20th in kickoff return defense (17.07 yards per return), and 22nd in passes intercepted (10). The USD offense ranks 3rd in fumbles lost (3), 4th in 4th-down efficiency (84.6%; 11x13), 5th in 3rd-down efficiency (52.4%; 57x110), 5th in total offense (471.38 ypg), 9th in turnovers lost (9), 10th in scoring offense (37.38), 11th in pass efficiency (155.98), and 16th in passing offense (275.4). Individually, QB Josh Johnson is 3rd in points responsible for (18.25), 9th in pass efficiency (156.9), and 12th in completions per game (21.75) and total offense (283.4); JT Rogan is 12th in all-purpose yards per game (141.63) and 20th in rushing (106.63 ypg); Josh Brisco is 16th in interceptions (0.50 per game).

Our only loss this year was to Princeton at New Jersey. They returned an interception 99 yards for a score with about a minute to go. We let one get away, but defintely played well if not outplaying them altogether. We also beat Yale. I think if we had Hampton's schedule we would be undefeated, and if we played in that conference, we would win it. Obviously that is my biased opinion, but why should San Diego not get a good look at the playoffs?

I say we get in as the #16 team, i know that is not how it works anymore, but put us in the West bracket. We would go on the road and play the #1 or #2 seed. Cal Poly is on a slide, Eastern Washington and Montana State could falter, Portland State just lost again, only one team might get in from the Southland conference. None from the Great West... how many from the Big Sky?

Why shouldn't USD get a more serious look at making the playoffs is Hampton is going to get that much attention. :bang:

I personally don't think Hampton deserves a seed. I have seen at least 1 MEAC game a year since 1984 and the MEAC is nowhere near the A-10 or any of the other better conferences in I-AA in overall talent or competiveness. (MEAC officials are also the worst and I thought the A-10 guys were bad.) That being said I don't believe that San diego would go undfeated in the MEAC. If your main argument is that you hung tough with Princeton than so what? Where is Princeton on the I-AA radar? At best Princeton is behind Penn, Brown, and Harvard in the Ivy league. Cornell is looking better this year and might be better than Princeton. Coming close to a 2nd division Ivy team hardly compares with the week in week out competition of the Gateway, BSC, Southern or A-10. Your team would not win one game in these conferences. You would be very lucky to win more than one in the PL. (You could beat Bucknell and Georgetown).

I loved your statistics. It reminds me of the quote from Mark Twain that goes "There are 3 kinds of lies. Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics. Nice use of statistics there.

If you want a playoff spot schedule Cal Poly, UCDavis, Portland State and a Montana team. You'll get some respect and you won't have to fly 3,000 miles

EagleCrusade
October 31st, 2005, 07:10 PM
You're seriously comparing an 11-0 San Diego with an 11-0...New Hampshire, Montana State, Furman, Northwestern State??

Let's check out this schedule:
Azuza Pacific NAIA
Southern Oregon NAIA
Yale (You did win though)
Princeton LOSS
Menlo NAIA
BUTLER-PFL
DAYTON
DRAKE
VALPO
Chapman DIII
Marist-MAAC

Like they said 4 non D-I schools, 0 playoff eligible programs.

OrneryAggie
October 31st, 2005, 07:31 PM
Coming close to a 2nd division Ivy team hardly compares with the week in week out competition of the Gateway, BSC, Southern or A-10. Your team would not win one game in these conferences. You would be very lucky to win more than one in the PL. (You could beat Bucknell and Georgetown).

USD beat NAIA Asuza Pacific by a larger margin than BSC cellar dwellar Suc St. I don't know if they could beat Suc St head to head but considering how bad NAU is this year I'd definitely put $$ on the toreros over the lumberjacks. Also USD just beat Valpo 63-21 but led 56-7 at half. SoDakStU beat valpo earlier 69-6 leading 45-6 at half. (these SD's are getting confusing.) If they were to play every game in a tougher conf I don't think USD would be playoff material, but I don't think they'd be winless either.

If you want a playoff spot schedule Cal Poly, UCDavis, Portland State and a Montana team. You'll get some respect and you won't have to fly 3,000 miles

Better yet, join the GWFC.

GrizSweeper
October 31st, 2005, 08:13 PM
I'd take that bet on the Toreros over the Lumberjacks, theres no way they could stay with them

EagleCrusade
October 31st, 2005, 09:07 PM
That would be 7 D-I wins but I'm not sure the NCAA would let them play 12 regular games and then the playoffs.

Why not? That's not fair. I dont think they have a playoff caliber schedule but just because they play 12 games, thats not fair to be eliminated.

TypicalTribe
November 1st, 2005, 09:23 AM
New GPI has San Diego tied at 42 with ranked Grambling.

And that puts them 33rd I believe, in terms of teams that are playoff eligible. If you take a close look at who is above them and how little room for error most of those teams have, there is still a chance that San Diego could sneak onto the fringes of the bubble.

youwouldno
November 1st, 2005, 10:18 AM
There are 8 football teams in the Southern Conference. I would say 3 are complete locks to go undefeated with San Diego's schedule, 4 are very likely, and the last is very possible (and almost certainly would have at most 1 loss). San Diego would not win a single conference game in the A-10, SoCon, Big Sky, or Gateway, and would do very poorly in the Patriot, MEAC, Big South, etc.

Look, its great they are having success. More power to them. But I-AA is not club football, whatever some pundits say. I doubt San Diego has a single player that would make the depth chart for a good I-AA team. Hampton has some talent, they just play a cupcake schedule. San Diego? Why is this even a thread.

NC Aggie
November 1st, 2005, 12:32 PM
USD's schedule isn't even a decent Division 2 schedule. Menlo College? Yes I know who they are. DIII.

siugrad99
November 1st, 2005, 12:36 PM
Did not realize that good ole # 4 Jim Harbaugh was the Head Coach. Best good luck to Jim, Class Act. I can see why the program is successful.

GannonFan
November 1st, 2005, 12:56 PM
That would be 7 D-I wins but I'm not sure the NCAA would let them play 12 regular games and then the playoffs.

I agree with Ralph here - the only way San Diego meets the minimum requirements of 7 DI wins is to play the extra, 12th game in the mid major championship (or whatever it is). No one else is allowed to play 12 games this year and heck, there are several teams who through catastrophe won't come close to playing 11. There is no chance whatsoever that San Diego makes the playoffs this year with the schedule that they've played, and because in their 11 game regular season, they will only beat, at the most, 6 DI teams. Schedule up next year, win those games, and you can be considered.

Aggie71
November 1st, 2005, 11:48 PM
Ornery has it correct.

Student referendum, Alum Support, petition the GWFC for admission (no Surf boards and Tank - tops at the conference ). Find a bunch of scholarship money and play football - if that's what you want...

Otherwise, Be your same selves.

Dude

Remember, Gauchos and Torreros are Spanish for "Aggies".

Maybe you could use the stadium (mostly unused) at Santa Barbara.

blueballs
November 2nd, 2005, 10:55 AM
PFL CHAMP GAME:
Sat 11/19/2005 Morehead State at San Diego

Morehead State travels to Statesboro November 12 for a beatdown at the hands of GSU.

We'll see how good USD is with a common opponent in consecutive weeks. If GSU is on the playoff bubble (which they certainly are at this time) and USD considers themselves playoff worthy, then USD should give MSU- who BTW will be flying cross country after another road gamethe week prior- a worse beating than the one GSU is going to inflict.

We'll see...

89Hen
November 2nd, 2005, 11:02 AM
The only thing amazing to me is this string is 3 pages long and it's the second time it's been brought up.

San Diego 30 - Azusa Pacific 6
Sacramento State 41 - Azusa Pacific 19

SacSt is 2-7 and San Diego is 8-1. Can anyone guess why?

TypicalTribe
November 2nd, 2005, 11:39 AM
The only thing amazing to me is this string is 3 pages long and it's the second time it's been brought up.

They didn't have their kicker early in the season?

I hear it's a problem in CA.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
Is it because we outdraw Sac. St in attendance? :eek:

Good one Tribe... that was funny

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2005, 04:30 PM
That twittledink Daugherty didn't include USD in his playoff preview... :p

I can see it now in the papers on the 21st of November... "USD becomes the latest team to get hosed in playoff selection" ;)

Sincerely,

Your Mid-Major Cup Champions and #1 ranked Team
University of San Diego Toreros

89Hen
November 2nd, 2005, 04:34 PM
I can see it now in the papers on the 21st of November... "USD becomes the latest team to get hosed in playoff selection" ;)
Yup, probably every school newspaper at San Diego will run that one.

blukeys
November 2nd, 2005, 05:57 PM

You're wrong this thread has not been brought up twice. It is the never ending Mid Major love thread with simply a change in names. If you change the names to NEC or Drake you will see the same arguments with the same responses.

The mid-major issue regarding playoff slots is the AGS equivalent of Groundhog Day. I get up log on and just keep reading the same thing day after day for the last year.!! ;) ;)

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2005, 06:20 PM
Great, our coach just got a DUI. There goes our playoff chances. :cool:

DetroitFlyer
November 2nd, 2005, 07:43 PM
Since San Diego is going to the playoffs and Dayton's only loss was to playoff bound San Diego, Dayton will be 9-1 with 7 1-AA wins! I think the PFL should get two bids to the 1-AA playoffs, San Diego and Dayton!

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2005, 07:56 PM
If there was ever a year where the PFL deserved 2 bids, it's this year. :D Here's to Dayton and San Diego making the playoffs :deadhorse

go Pioneer Football League!

89Hen
November 3rd, 2005, 07:45 AM
Better yet. Just cancel the playoffs and make the Pioneer Championship Game for all the marbles.

GannonFan
November 3rd, 2005, 09:52 AM
If there was ever a year where the PFL deserved 2 bids, it's this year. :D Here's to Dayton and San Diego making the playoffs :deadhorse

go Pioneer Football League!

Now we're up to two mid majors making it - if we keep these threads going long enough I'm sure we can get that number even higher! Of course, the games will need to be played at FantasyLand Stadium located in FantasyLand, but I'm sure it'll be fun.

GannonFan
November 3rd, 2005, 10:00 AM
Hey, PFL South Champ Morehead State almost knocked off App St a couple years ago...

That's the same non-playoff bound Appy St team that lost by a whopping 28 the week before to also non-playoff bound Eastern Kentucky the week before and the same Appy St team which lost to the also non-playoff bound Citadel Bulldogs the week after playing Morehead St? And all of this happened 2 years ago? Hardly the basis of a sound reason to have mid majors in the playoffs this year.

Uncle Buck
November 3rd, 2005, 10:11 AM
As a San Diego alum, at least for grad school, I would have to say nay to the playoffs. Unless the talent has stepped up that much, I just can't see them being able to compete with the top 1AA's. Then again, I am an alum and my Hofstra team stinks, so Go Toreros!

TypicalTribe
November 3rd, 2005, 10:52 AM
That's the same non-playoff bound Appy St team that lost by a whopping 28 the week before to also non-playoff bound Eastern Kentucky the week before and the same Appy St team which lost to the also non-playoff bound Citadel Bulldogs the week after playing Morehead St? And all of this happened 2 years ago? Hardly the basis of a sound reason to have mid majors in the playoffs this year.

GannonFan, you need to calm down a bit and appreciate this thread for what it is. I don't think any of us is trying to argue Pioneer League teams into the playoffs on merit alone. However, the fact of the matter is that this season has shaped up in such a way that there is a good possibility of fewer than 16 teams finishing with less than 4 losses. If that were to happen, it's possible that an 11-1 San Diego team could at least get a look in comparison to a 7-4 team from a legit conference. Noone is really saying San Diego has played their way in, just that in this weird year they might have a shot.

I always enjoy the mid-major argument, no matter how unlikely it is. Hope is always a good thing.

Uncle Buck
November 3rd, 2005, 11:01 AM
TTribe,
Having played for Hofstra when we began our journey into 1AA I like to see the little guys get a shot, and maybe this year could get even stranger, but I can't see them getting in. I think they will get slighted no matter what happens. Truth be told, they definitely need to step up the scheduling if they want to get a more serious look in my opinion. Doesn't mean they aren't a damn good team, but there are just too many easy wins.

TypicalTribe
November 3rd, 2005, 11:04 AM
TTribe,
Having played for Hofstra when we began our journey into 1AA I like to see the little guys get a shot, and maybe this year could get even stranger, but I can't see them getting in. I think they will get slighted no matter what happens. Truth be told, they definitely need to step up the scheduling if they want to get a more serious look in my opinion. Doesn't mean they aren't a damn good team, but there are just too many easy wins.

And I agree with that. My point is that it's still mathematically possible that there could be so few eligible teams that the committee may be forced to consider them. It's not likely, but it's still possible.

Black and Gold Express
November 3rd, 2005, 11:22 AM

Please don't take this as an offense.

Coastal Carolina and Hampton would hammer you. As would any other playoff-caliber I-AA program.

It has nothing to do with East Coast or West Coast. It has to do with the fact you are mid-major (non-scholarship) I-AA. Which is a nice way of saying "D-III" if you throw away everything else. The only reason you are classified as I-AA most likely is so your basketball team can stay D-I.

It's like trying to say any I-AA team is just as good as the top 16 in Division I-A. That's just not true, and is proven on the field each and every time they get to play. Wasting a playoff spot to make that point is senseless.

There is a difference in the overall team talent. There are easily 16 I-AA teams better than any mid-major I-AA team out there. You have your own championship for a reason, separate from the rest of I-AA, as a point of this.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude. It's just each time around this year fans of whoever happen to be the best mid-major team came with these delusions of grandeur, and at some point they need to be reminded fully of who and what they really are.

GannonFan
November 3rd, 2005, 11:26 AM
GannonFan, you need to calm down a bit and appreciate this thread for what it is. I don't think any of us is trying to argue Pioneer League teams into the playoffs on merit alone. However, the fact of the matter is that this season has shaped up in such a way that there is a good possibility of fewer than 16 teams finishing with less than 4 losses. If that were to happen, it's possible that an 11-1 San Diego team could at least get a look in comparison to a 7-4 team from a legit conference. Noone is really saying San Diego has played their way in, just that in this weird year they might have a shot.

I always enjoy the mid-major argument, no matter how unlikely it is. Hope is always a good thing.

How can they get a look? My argument has been that they don't even have 7 DI wins as I don't think you can count the Mid Major Championship or conference championship game that they could play that would be the 12th game - no one else is allowed to count 12 regular season games in IAA so why would San Diego be allowed?