Western Carolina

WoffordGeorgia Southern

Appalachian State
Presbyterian

walliver
September 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM
Citadel 35
WCU 14
- The 'cats may be improved, but still have a ways to go.

Wofford 24
GSU 28

Furman 42
Chattanooga 3
- Rodney Allison's last? game against the paladins won't be pretty

Elon 63
Samford 14
- The "other" bulldogs' welcome to the SoCon won't be pretty

ASU 56
PC 21
- App fans want a mega blow out to make up for last week, but Jerry Moore is more worried about the SoCon schedule ahead and pulls Armanti and company early.

The Wofford-GSU matchup is the best of the week. I don't see any of the other games being close.

CID1990
September 21st, 2008, 02:40 PM
It's not quite Monday yet but these are my predictions:

Elon 45
Samford 14

Furman 41
Chattanooga 10

THE Citadel 35
Western Carolina 21

Wofford 35
Georgia Southern 27
Appalachian State 56
Presbyterian 10

Game of the week: Wofford @ GSU if not Western Carolina @ The Citadel
discus.

This coming week will have everyone realizing what I was saying three months ago. Why is GSU ranked in the top 20?

introvertedGSUfan
September 21st, 2008, 02:51 PM
This coming week will have everyone realizing what I was saying three months ago. Why is GSU ranked in the top 20?

Because Elon was ranked in the top 20 as well and we almost beat them and they barely beat us? We've done so much better than I expected to this year. No reason to hate.

Reign of Terrier
September 21st, 2008, 02:51 PM

It thought it could be a double digit win, but then I factored in the home field advantage and how GSU doesn't lose by double digits at home often and picked Wofford by 8. The main reason is that the GSU O-line/pass protection and D-line/run D (according to GSU fans) needs improvement. If you want to beat Wofford those can't be your weaknesses seeing as we make our living from running the ball and stopping the run/blitzingxtwocentsx

Mountaineer
September 21st, 2008, 03:13 PM
No score predictions:

Western Carolina @ The Citadel
Samford @ Elon
Chattanooga @ Furman
Presbyterian @ Appalachian State
Wofford @ Georgia Southern*

* Georgia Southern's playing like 92 freshman this year. If they're not kicked off the team, on parole or in prison - the Eagles are gonna be a force in the next few years!!!!!!!! xsmiley_wix

Biff
September 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
It's not quite Monday yet but these are my predictions:

Elon 45
Samford 14

Furman 41
Chattanooga 10

THE Citadel 35
Western Carolina 21

Wofford 35
Georgia Southern 27

Appalachian State 56
Presbyterian 10

Game of the week: Wofford @ GSU if not Western Carolina @ The Citadel
discus.

Looks good to me. I think App will give out a bigger butt whooping (still stewing from the JMU loss) and Samford will give a little more fight to Elon, but Elon will still win by a good margin.

Wofford @ GSU has to be the games of the week in the SoCon and possibly all of FCS. I'll go with Wofford, but it will be close.

ASUG8
September 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM
WCU-14
EL CID-35

WOFFORD-28
GA SO-14

FURMAN-35
CHATT-7

ELON-48
SAMFORD-14

APP ST-174
PC-3

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM
Couple points:

1. I am scared to death of UTC. They are the one game this season I think could be a big time trap, wedged right between UD and Elon. Hope our guys stay focused.

2. Must win for GSU. Can't go down two in the loss column with The Citadel, Furman, and App still on the slate.

3. Is this Presbyterians fourth game against the SoCon?! Does that strike anyone else as odd?

Mountaineer
September 21st, 2008, 03:39 PM
3. Is this Presbyterians fourth game against the SoCon?! Does that strike anyone else as odd?

It is. They've played and lost to Wofford, Elon and Western. Gotta give the Blue Hose props for stepping up though.

gophoenix
September 21st, 2008, 03:50 PM

I think I know what you're implying. But no. Coastal did the same thing a few years ago. And the Presbyterian administration is close to a number of our athletic departments from when they were consulting with qutie a few SoCon and Big South schools when they were transitioning.

introvertedGSUfan
September 21st, 2008, 04:28 PM
Couple points:

I am scared to death of UTC. They are the one game this season I think could be a big time trap, wedged right between UD and Elon. Hope our guys stay focused.

If your purple players can handle Delaware, I think you have nothing to worry about with UTC.xsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2008, 04:39 PM
If your purple players can handle Delaware, I think you have nothing to worry about with UTC.xsmiley_wix

The 2005 Furman Paladins, that went to the Semi Finals, beat App State in the regular season, lost a thrilling last minute game to Georgia Southern, had one of the best offenses in the country...that team lost to Western Carolina in the second game of the year.

After that terrible terrible loss I learned not to look ahead.

Furman hasn't really had an easy row to hoe so far. Many of the other schools have had a few gimmes and a bye week. We moved on from VT, to Colgate on the road, to UD. I hope we aren't worn out.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2008, 04:41 PM
Oh, and btw, its been 15 years since UTC has beaten us. If any team is due, it's them. They haven't beaten us since Terrell Owens lined up at wideout.

furman94
September 21st, 2008, 04:52 PM
They WILL NOT win. This team knows not to overlook anyone. This team is confident. This team has a winning heart. They wont give up a game to UTC!

SU DOG
September 21st, 2008, 05:10 PM
If my math is correct, the score predictors on here thus far have Elon as a 35.2 point favorite. Sure hope their players think this way. I don't know if Samford will win it or not - although I concede nothing, but that point spread is absolutely laughable. Samford is far more talented than most of you think.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2008, 05:53 PM
If my math is correct, the score predictors on here thus far have Elon as a 35.2 point favorite. Sure hope their players think this way. I don't know if Samford will win it or not - although I concede nothing, but that point spread is absolutely laughable. Samford is far more talented than most of you think.

Only one way to find out.

Laserlips
September 21st, 2008, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=Mountaineer

* Georgia Southern's playing like 92 freshman this year. If they're not kicked off the team, on parole or in prison - the Eagles are gonna be a force in the next few years!!!!!!!! xsmiley_wix[/QUOTE]

Mo:

Tacky, tacky.... xnonox

But,

Oh so true, true.....xbawlingx

Jesse

Mountaineer
September 21st, 2008, 06:33 PM
Mo:

Tacky, tacky.... xnonox

But,

Oh so true, true.....xbawlingx

Jesse

Aww, just poking a bit of fun after seeing blueballs remind us that Georgia Southern is playing 27 freshmen in every thread that mentions the Eagles. :p

:D

elon77
September 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM
Couple points:

1. I am scared to death of UTC. They are the one game this season I think could be a big time trap, wedged right between UD and Elon. Hope our guys stay focused.

2. Must win for GSU. Can't go down two in the loss column with The Citadel, Furman, and App still on the slate.

It strikes me as being a dumb move on someone's part. What were they thinking?xoopsx

jhbeagle
September 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM
Elon 35
Samford 14

Furman 38
Chattanooga 10

Citadel 28
Western Carolina 14

Wofford 35
Georgia Southern 20 (cannot stop the run or pass)

Appalachian State 48
Presbyterian 10

elon77
September 21st, 2008, 06:51 PM

I hope Elon doesn't take the week off and play a sloppy game. It's parents weekend, the game has sold a bunch of tickets, so hopefully they will not have a let sown.xnodx

elon77
September 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
I hope Elon doesn't take the week off and play a sloppy game. It's parents weekend, the game has sold a bunch of tickets, so hopefully they will not have a let sown.xnodx

Typo, should be let down, not let sown.xnonox

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2008, 06:55 PM
Georgia Southern does not have a monopoly on playing freshman. Furman had some huge plays out of Freshman yesterday against Delaware.

The scary thing is, you look at how young most of the SoCon teams are, and this conference will just get better. There are a lot of young teams in the league.

matfu
September 21st, 2008, 06:57 PM
It strikes me as being a dumb move on someone's part. What were they thinking?xoopsx

that they would like to be in the southern conference in the future???

gophoenix
September 21st, 2008, 07:12 PM
Georgia Southern does not have a monopoly on playing freshman. Furman had some huge plays out of Freshman yesterday against Delaware.

The scary thing is, you look at how young most of the SoCon teams are, and this conference will just get better. There are a lot of young teams in the league.

No kidding!!! The SoCon has a bright future for nearly all teams right now. It's going to be exciting football for years to come out of this conference.

gophoenix
September 21st, 2008, 07:15 PM

I keep telling everyone. Elon is not far enough away from losing seasons to overlook anyone.

And this Elon fans sees potential in the Samford team to scare many of our teams. Samford is well coached and has some bright young players in key positions.

elon77
September 21st, 2008, 07:30 PM
that they would like to be in the southern conference in the future???

Don't think it will happen, but you might be right.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM
Don't think it will happen, but you might be right.

Yeah, they won't. Me and another Furman fan discussed this the other day. Seems like Presby is trying to play better competition in the area. The school is wedged right in the heart of the SoCon, so why not plug your recruiting and try to get your name out there.

They played App State, Wofford, WCU, and Elon this year. Played at least Furman last year (maybe others?).

FUwolfpacker
September 21st, 2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah, they won't. Me and another Furman fan discussed this the other day. Seems like Presby is trying to play better competition in the area. The school is wedged right in the heart of the SoCon, so why not plug your recruiting and try to get your name out there.

They played App State, Wofford, WCU, and Elon this year. Played at least Furman last year (maybe others?).

Um...you do realize that I post on here, right? xrolleyesx :)

No, PC isn't getting into the SoCon anytime soon. As PF and I talked about...playing the SoCon schools gives PC a chance to get some nice exposure since they're pretty much recruiting from the same pool of kids. It's also nice for some of the SoCon schools in that they're able to schedule a team that's relatively close by and is almost a sure win xsmiley_wix . At least for now...

I never predict scores, but I'll take the chalk this week...

Elon, Furman, Wofford, El Cid, and App

RazorEdge19
September 21st, 2008, 09:01 PM
Western Carolina @ The Citadel

Western struggled against Presbyterian and had to score 14 points late in order to win. Meanwhile, Citadel played a good game versus Princeton and came out on top. Because this game is in Charleston, things won't be any easier for Western. If they can't get their offense going early, it could be a long day.

Samford @ Elon

Elon came away with a good win versus GSU last week and Samford is entering its first week of SoCon play. Elon is considered to be one of the best teams in the conference. Samford, is not.

Chattanooga @ Furman

Last week was completely different for both of these teams. Furman proved they are better then many though. Chattanooga, is right where most people thought they would be.

Presbyterian @ Appalachian State

Poor PC. They lose a heartbreaker at home to Western and are forced to go play ASU coming off of a heartbreaker to JMU. Depending on how well App can get their vertical passing game going will determine what the final spread will be.

Wofford @ Georgia Southern

Two teams enter this game coming off of defensive battles that each one came up short on. The difference between the two were their opponents. Wofford played South Carolina, GSU played Elon. Both teams will be entering this game with something to prove. If Wofford can move the ball against GSU, they should come out on top. If GSU can keep Wofford's offense off the field, they could finish the day .500 in the SoCon.

fuEMO
September 21st, 2008, 10:06 PM

Furman played 17 freshmen Saturday against Delaware. I would have never guessed that after four games a true freshman is leading the Paladins in rushing touchdowns… Tersoo Uhaa.

The future does look good for some exciting SoCon matchups.

phoenixphanatic21
September 21st, 2008, 10:11 PM
Furman played 17 freshmen Saturday against Delaware. I would have never guessed that after four games a true freshman is leading the Paladins in rushing touchdowns… Tersoo Uhaa.

The future does look good for some exciting SoCon matchups.

That guy is also my frontrunner for 'Best Name in the FCS'

hippy@GSU
September 21st, 2008, 10:19 PM
Though I think we may lose, I will be there in my Blue and White supporting like a mofo. We cannot defend the run worth a tute! Heres to a good game with no injurues!!! GO EAGLES!!!

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2008, 10:59 PM
That guy is also my frontrunner for 'Best Name in the FCS'

It's even more fun to say. Makes for a great radio call on a touchdown.

The kid is half Jerome Felton's size, but runs like a man possessed. He's one of those strange players that loves to hit people. He seeks it out. Quickly becoming a fan favorite.

I had no idea we played 17 freshmen. Sweet mercy that's a lot of players.

PhoenixPhan06
September 22nd, 2008, 12:36 PM
Samford @ Elon: The Phoenix roll out the welcome mat and win big.
Elon 45 Samford 13

WCU @ The Citadel: WCU gets another monster performance from Quan Warley and hold on in a close one.
WCU 24 CIT 21

UT Chatt @ Furman: Coming off a great win, the Paladins ride the momentum to another W.
Fur 28 UT Chatt 17

Presbyterian @ App State: Look for the Mountaineers to light up the scoreboard early and pull the starters in the 3rd.

ASU 51 Pres 13

Wofford @ GSU: In the Game of the Week, the home crowd gives it their best, but the Eagles will drop their second straight at home to the better team.

Woff 24 GSU 20

Death Dealer
September 22nd, 2008, 12:59 PM
It's even more fun to say. Makes for a great radio call on a touchdown.

The kid is half Jerome Felton's size, but runs like a man possessed. He's one of those strange players that loves to hit people. He seeks it out. Quickly becoming a fan favorite.

I had no idea we played 17 freshmen. Sweet mercy that's a lot of players.

And he's smart as a whip. Friend of mine has him in one of his classes. Said the kid is pretty sharp.xthumbsupx

GSUhooligan
September 22nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
App by 70
Samford by 2
Citadel by 17
GSU by 14
Furman by 24

elon77
September 22nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
App by 70
Samford by 2
Citadel by 17
GSU by 14
Furman by 24

So I guess you will be predicting Samford over GSU by 4? Is your pick of Samford over Elon sour grapes? I do hope you beat woffy though.xnodx

GSUhooligan
September 22nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Part of it is sour grapes, I don't really think Elon will lose, but i do think that this is a trap game and will be much closer than the presby game (who I think is of the same caliber as Samford).

OL FU
September 22nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
LAte to the game and no scores from me.

Winners

The Citadel
Elon
Furman
ASU
Wofford

the losers are the ones I didn't mentionxnodx

appmaj
September 22nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
WCU-14
EL CID-35

WOFFORD-28
GA SO-14

FURMAN-35
CHATT-7

ELON-48
SAMFORD-14

APP ST-174
PC-3

Only a 171 point win????

mcveyrl
September 22nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Only a 171 point win????

You have to factor in the late field goal against the band.

PhoenixPhan06
September 22nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
Part of it is sour grapes, I don't really think Elon will lose, but i do think that this is a trap game and will be much closer than the presby game (who I think is of the same caliber as Samford).

First off, what a GREAT game Saturday night! The last two meetings have been barnburners settled by late FG's. This matchup is starting to heat up and could be a rivalry in the making.

Its hard to tell what Samford really is capable of since they haven't played any big games and their wins are against D-2 schools. I see your point as a potential trap game, but I think we have matured leaps and bounds from last season and our guys are aware of the danger of looking past Samford.

Our late season collapse last season was a blessing in disguise for our guys and they're taking that with them as motivation during every game this year. Our offense is really starting to develp under new OC Mike McCarty and our running game is now a force to be reckoned with (never thought I'd say that about our football team).

trusty
September 22nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Elon
Samford

Furman- Not even close
Chattanooga

THE Citadel
Western Carolina

Wofford
Georgia Southern- Another close one but this time we find a way

Appalachian State - Will score in bunches
Presbyterian

appfan2008
September 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM

prove it...

appfan2008
September 22nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
I truly hope APP comes out with fire in their eyes and keeps the scoreboard numbers spinning... this is the time to step up and crush presby as we prepare for TC and the rest of the socon...

elon77
September 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
I truly hope APP comes out with fire in their eyes and keeps the scoreboard numbers spinning... this is the time to step up and crush presby as we prepare for TC and the rest of the socon...

Presby is probably mad too that they lost a close one to WCU. I hope they don't run the score up on you.xlolx xlolx xlolx OK it's just a joke, lighten up, you'll get them pukes next time.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 22nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
Does anyone know what happened to the "Elon beats GSU in Statesboro" thread? I can't find it anywhere.

introvertedGSUfan
September 22nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Does anyone know what happened to the "Elon beats GSU in Statesboro" thread? I can't find it anywhere.

It was moved to FCS Smack and then deleted, I think.

T-Dog
September 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Elon 52
Samford 7

Furman 38
Chattanooga 13

El Citadel 28
Western Carolina 10

Wofford 32
Georgia Southern 24

Appalachian State 60
Presbyterian 7

xanim_chaix xsmashx xflamemadx xflamemadx

(aka Presby's going down hard)

Seven Would Be Nice
September 22nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
I think GSU bounces back and brings home a W against Wofford in front of a packed house for our last night game/family weekend.

Baldy
September 22nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
I'll say it again, we have to get a whole lot better this week in order to keep the game close with one of the SoCon's elite teams. We did a good job improving last week and played much better against a team that will play a pretty tough schedule and will most likely finish around .500. I'm now convinced that we are good enough to beat any team we play. Here's to hoping we can actually win some of them.

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
I'll say it again, we have to get a whole lot better this week in order to keep the game close with one of the SoCon's elite teams. We did a good job improving last week and played much better against a team that will play a pretty tough schedule and will most likely finish around .500. I'm now convinced that we are good enough to beat any team we play. Here's to hoping we can actually win some of them.

What's going on with the defense there in Statesboro? I know Elon's got a good offense, but I was suprised at the rushing yards allowed.

WCU LawCat
September 22nd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Elon 52
Samford 21

Furman 48
Chattanooga 24

The Citadel 21
Western Carolina 27

Wofford 38
Georgia Southern 28

Appalachian State 45
Presbyterian 15

The Cats
September 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
WCU @ The Citadel: WCU gets another monster performance from Quan Warley and hold on in a close one.
WCU 24 CIT 21

I think you could be on to something there...... xthumbsupx

Baldy
September 23rd, 2008, 01:28 AM
What's going on with the defense there in Statesboro? I know Elon's got a good offense, but I was suprised at the rushing yards allowed.

My only guess is that it's the new 3-3-5 crap we are now running. It's an entirely new philosophy and I don't believe we have the personnel to run it the way it's supposed to run. We put absolutely no pressure on Riddle, except for the couple of flukes where we put a little bit of pressure on him. I know he has put up some monster numbers, but even a bad QB could have put his numbers up on Saturday night with all the time he had in the pocket. That's two years in a row now that I've seen him and he has only looked average at best.

drpnut
September 23rd, 2008, 05:51 AM
My take:

Elon over Birmingham Bulldogs 31-14. This could be a trap game, but The Phoenix do enough.

Furple over Nooga 38-17. This too could be a trap game, but the Dins get it done and get a little more confidence.

ElCid over WCU 24-20. I want to pick the Cats but I think they are still not ready to make a statement yet. They are much improved, but ElCid will get them.

Appy over Presby 45-20. For some reason I don't think this will be a huge blowout. App will be mad as h**l but Presby will move the ball some and get a couple of cheep scores.

Woffy over GaSouth 35-24. The terriers just played very well against a top 5 FBS defense. The Eagles have proven they cannot stop the run and if Woffy threw for over 100 yards on the Game Chickens they could have at least 160 yards passing in this game. I truly beleive the T-dogs get the run going strong and finish with over 300 yrds in that dept.

Peace

gophoenix
September 23rd, 2008, 06:34 AM
My only guess is that it's the new 3-3-5 crap we are now running. It's an entirely new philosophy and I don't believe we have the personnel to run it the way it's supposed to run. We put absolutely no pressure on Riddle, except for the couple of flukes where we put a little bit of pressure on him. I know he has put up some monster numbers, but even a bad QB could have put his numbers up on Saturday night with all the time he had in the pocket. That's two years in a row now that I've seen him and he has only looked average at best.

Here we go again. xrolleyesx

CID1990
September 23rd, 2008, 06:37 AM
Elon 52
Samford 21

Furman 48
Chattanooga 24

The Citadel 21
Western Carolina 27

Wofford 38
Georgia Southern 28

Appalachian State 45
Presbyterian 15

Hey WCU LawCat,

What have I told you about confiscating crack for your own personal use? ;)

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Furman hops on the Mocs quickly and rides out a convincing win. Dins 38-14.

The Citadel needs to get the kinks out before facing the gauntlet of App, Elon, and Furman in consecutive weeks. Cadets 42-17.

App State uses Presbyterian to fix some problems on defense and special teams. Mounties 42-10

Wofford, quietly, has been playing just about the best football in the SoCon. GSU has to play like their hair is on fire and do what they can to win this game. Won't be enough. Pups 27-20.

Elon officially welcomes Samford to the SoCon. Firebirds 42-17.

Death Dealer
September 23rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
Georgia Southern University presents Revenge Tour 2008!!
Statesboro, Georgia - September 20th -postponed until next year
Chattanooga, Tennessee - October 4th
GRAND FINALE - Greenville, South Carolina November 15th
Get your tickets NOW! 1-800-GSU-WINS How's that working out for you guys so far??xrolleyesx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix

I know, I know, I know. 98 freshmen, wait until next year, you're gonna be the shiz in '10. xrolleyesx xoopsx xwhistlex xpeacex

Death Dealer
September 23rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
Georgia Southern University presents Revenge Tour 2008!!
Statesboro, Georgia - September 20th -postponed until next year
Chattanooga, Tennessee - October 4th
GRAND FINALE - Greenville, South Carolina November 15th
Get your tickets NOW! 1-800-GSU-WINS How's that working out for you guys so far??xrolleyesx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix

I know, I know, I know. 98 freshmen, wait until next year, you're gonna be the shiz in '10. xrolleyesx xoopsx xwhistlex xpeacex

Oh, and I'll go ahead and xflaggedx myself for smack on the discussion board. Take it to the smack board ------------------------>xnonox :D

blueballs
September 23rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
NM... see below... double post

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2008, 09:21 AM

Riddle can put up yards against just about anyone. Heck, he threw for over 500 yards against us last season and lost.

I wan't aware the Eagles went into a new defensive scheme. I've seen several teams have success with that defense. I think Joe Lee Dunn used to run it at MSU and Memphis with some success.

Hopefully you guys are still working on it come last game of the season.

blueballs
September 23rd, 2008, 09:21 AM

Elon has found a running game... I thought they were a better team overall Saturday night than the team GSU played at Elon last year. Riddle is far more poised and they are more solid... especially along the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Elon's better talent and more experience has allowed Lembo to do more things with them.

Part of Elon's huge stats was a function of field position. GSU did a pretty good job of making Elon make long drives to score and both defenses were really good in the red zone. I kinda got the impression that GSU was defending not to give up the big play when they had field position, which is part of why Elon had huge #'s but relatively few points given that kind of production.

I agree with Baldy that GSU is talented enough to defeat every remaining team on the schedule but I'm not sold on whether they will be consistent enough in execution to do so... young teams make mistakes and in the SoCon where the margin of error is razor thin mistakes get you beat.

With all that being said... this is by far the best talent Elon has put on the field in my years of watching them. They are a dangerous team and well coached. They are still relatively young and may stumble but they are going to be in every game and will be a tough win for anybody they play from here out.

However, that can be said of App, Furman, Citadel, GSU and Wofford too. The conference is going to be fun to watch again this year- Any Given Saturday.

elon77
September 23rd, 2008, 09:38 AM
Elon has found a running game... I thought they were a better team overall Saturday night than the team GSU played at Elon last year. Riddle is far more poised and they are more solid... especially along the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Elon's better talent and more experience has allowed Lembo to do more things with them.

Part of Elon's huge stats was a function of field position. GSU did a pretty good job of making Elon make long drives to score and both defenses were really good in the red zone. I kinda got the impression that GSU was defending not to give up the big play when they had field position, which is part of why Elon had huge #'s but relatively few points given that kind of production.

I agree with Baldy that GSU is talented enough to defeat every remaining team on the schedule but I'm not sold on whether they will be consistent enough in execution to do so... young teams make mistakes and in the SoCon where the margin of error is razor thin mistakes get you beat.

With all that being said... this is by far the best talent Elon has put on the field in my years of watching them. They are a dangerous team and well coached. They are still relatively young and may stumble but they are going to be in every game and will be a tough win for anybody they play from here out.

However, that can be said of App, Furman, Citadel, GSU and Wofford too. The conference is going to be fun to watch again this year- Any Given Saturday.

Maybe, just maybe, that new found running game will help keep the defense off the field a little this year. Last year when they would score in 30 seconds the defense never could get a chance to rest. I think that's one reason the defense wore down so much last year. The defense at the end of the year was a whole lot different than the defense that played when they beat Wofford. Make things interesting this week end and beat Wofford.xnodx

DLS
September 23rd, 2008, 09:40 AM
App State uses Presbyterian to fix some problems on defense and special teams. Mounties 42-10

also the passing game.

and getting the snap right.

and the whole playing for an entire 60 minutes thing.

Baldy
September 23rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Here we go again. xrolleyesx

You can disagree all you want, but the facts back up my statement.

In Riddle's two games against GSU:
54% completion percentage = average
305.5 yards per game on 46.5 attempts = average
4TD's = below average
4Int's = well below average
27 carries for (-11) yards = well below average

Riddle has shown to be a very strong leader and is obviously a winner, but the facts back my assessment of how he is against GSU.

gophoenix
September 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
You can disagree all you want, but the facts back up my statement.

In Riddle's two games against GSU:
54% completion percentage = average
305.5 yards per game on 46.5 attempts = average
4TD's = below average
4Int's = well below average
27 carries for (-11) yards = well below average

Riddle has shown to be a very strong leader and is obviously a winner, but the facts back my assessment of how he is against GSU.

xrolleyesx xbawlingx

I love how all of it comes out after you guys lose, AGAIN.

Baldy
September 23rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
xrolleyesx xbawlingx

I love how all of it comes out after you guys lose, AGAIN.

Well, at least you're not trying to deny the facts this time. xlolx

You can try that crying simile and "you lose again" stuff on someone else. As I have said for a while now, it is going to take a while for us to get back to normal. Enjoy your team's victories while you can. xthumbsupx

GaSouthern
September 23rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Elon
Samford

Furman
Chattanooga

cITADEL
Western Carolina Upset Special!

Wofford
Georgia Southern

Appalachian State
Presbyterian

PhoenixPhan06
September 23rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
Well, at least you're not trying to deny the facts this time. xlolx

You can try that crying simile and "you lose again" stuff on someone else. As I have said for a while now, it is going to take a while for us to get back to normal. Enjoy your team's victories while you can. xthumbsupx

So what exactly is normal? With the parity in the SoCon, I think its safe to say that things won't be "normal" for a while. The traditional powers are rebuilding and teams like The Citadel and Elon are on the rise and shaking things up a bit among the old guards. We all should start getting used to a new norm, and thats parity within one of the toughest conferences in the FCS! What used to be a 3 or 4 horse race, is now wide open and will make for a very exciting November!

xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

GaSouthern
September 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
The Big 3 will never Die!

ericsaid
September 23rd, 2008, 06:14 PM
Elon>GaSo. in 08'

End of story, debate, debacle or whatever you would like.

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
The Big 3 will never Die!

xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx too late

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
I don't know. I don't think anyone can use the phrase "big three" without people thinking App, GSU, and Furman.

GSU ran the show long enough to be able to withstand a few down years. Furman and App are still in there. None of the other teams have been consistent enough for long enough to be a yearly contender.

furman94
September 23rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
I agree, but The Citadelians will beg to differ

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
I don't know. I don't think anyone can use the phrase "big three" without people thinking App, GSU, and Furman.

GSU ran the show long enough to be able to withstand a few down years. Furman and App are still in there. None of the other teams have been consistent enough for long enough to be a yearly contender.

Hello?....Wofford-6 straight winning seasons,in those six years- 2 conference championships, 2 playoff appearances, 3 7+ winning seasons(other than playoff teams).

That leaves one season (2005) where one didn't game kicked us out of the playoffs, and rightly so.

We've also had a couple good seasons before that stretch. How can you say we aren't consistent?

proasu89
September 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
Presby is probably mad too that they lost a close one to WCU. I hope they don't run the score up on you.xlolx xlolx xlolx OK it's just a joke, lighten up, you'll get them pukes next time.

Funny you should say that. Was talking with someone from Clinton SC who had no clue about Appalachian football and this guy in all seriousness says " Ya'll know how he likes to run up the score on people". I kept a straight face and pretended to look concerned. xlolx

gobluehose1
September 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Funny you should say that. Was talking with someone from Clinton SC who had no clue about Appalachian football and this guy in all seriousness says " Ya'll know how he likes to run up the score on people". I kept a straight face and pretended to look concerned. xlolx

I'll call your bluff on that...we haven't run the score up on anyone this year, and from the looks of things, we probably won't....we'll be lucky to get 11 guys on the field at a time Saturday....

matfu
September 23rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hello?....Wofford-6 straight winning seasons,in those six years- 2 conference championships, 2 playoff appearances, 3 7+ winning seasons(other than playoff teams).

That leaves one season (2005) where one didn't game kicked us out of the playoffs, and rightly so.

We've also had a couple good seasons before that stretch. How can you say we aren't consistent?

-we discussed this last year i believe, The Big 3 = app, ga southern and furman. it will take a few more years of wofford getting in the playoffs or winning the conference for the big 3 to not mean exactly what it has always meant. tradition is not born over night. i agree wofford is the only other team to even threaten the change of this notion over the next few years with elon a distant second. by the way, i was pulling for wofford to get to the championship game last year and watched every second of the wofford-montana game pulling very hard for them. until last year when they whooped furman, we have sort of owned them despite their 7-6 win in greenville in 2005.

Eaglegus2
September 23rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
Elon>GaSo. in 08'

End of story, debate, debacle or whatever you would like.

You are correct that Elon was better this year. Before you start singing your praises remember that you have more games to play. Being on top of the ladder is great until you start that downward fall. ;)

Don't ever count Georgia Southern out. The Eagles have had a difficult time rebounding and rebuilding from the past 3 years. We will rise from the ashes. xnodx

WCU LawCat
September 23rd, 2008, 11:39 PM
Hey WCU LawCat,

What have I told you about confiscating crack for your own personal use? ;)

All in good fun. Last week I predicted a close 1st half for ASU and JMU. In the second half I predicted JMU to make a big play and take the lead and for ASU to fall apart.

An App fan responded to me saying that it was not a good attempt at comedy. I ended up being right on the money...just saying xwhistlex

Phoenix87
September 24th, 2008, 02:46 AM
While I won't predict scores I will predict wins, in bold.

Elon
Samford

Furman
Chattanooga

THE Citadel
Western Carolina

Wofford
Georgia Southern

Appalachian State
Presbyterian

And on a side note, I truly believe this conference is wide open for anyone to win at this point. I was very impressed with GSU last week, although their stadium definitely gives them a 12 man. Amazing crowd and much more respectable fans than when I was down there two years ago. The next three weeks for the Phoenix is going to tell everyone whether or not this team is a Conf Champ team or not. While the Socon's two losses to the CAA come from Richmond and JMU, I believe Elon fans can attest to how good the Spiders are as well as App fans attesting to the heart and skill that JMU has. In the Richmond game we played snap for snap with them the first half, it was in the second half when half the defense was cramping that they ran away with it. Overall, both App/JMU and Rich/Elon were played very close.

I haven't been this excited to get to conference play and hear the outcomes of EVERYONE's games every weekend in a long time.

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2008, 04:53 AM
until last year when they whooped furman, we have sort of owned them despite their 7-6 win in greenville in 2005.

that was 2003xthumbsupx xthumbsupx . Remember if we win against the big three this year It will be:
3 0f the last 6 against app (and two straight)
5 of the last 7 against GSU
3 of the last 6 against Furman.

we might not win all those games but if we win one against FU or App we've evened for the last six years.

If we continue to have success for 5 more years then you can say there isn't a big three anymorexthumbsupx .

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2008, 06:40 AM
that was 2003xthumbsupx xthumbsupx . Remember if we win against the big three this year It will be:

we might not win all those games but if we win one against FU or App we've evened for the last six years.

If we continue to have success for 5 more years then you can say there isn't a big three anymorexthumbsupx .

I believe if you go back, Wofford has beaten Furman something like 3 of the last 11. There was a tie in there somewhere. Wofford has played well against GSU, but has really struggled against Furman.

elon77
September 24th, 2008, 07:40 AM

And HOW did you keep that straight face?xrolleyesx

Death Dealer
September 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM

There hasn't been a big three in several years. The depth of the SOCON has been improving for awhile now. It will only continue to improve. What the means for "the big three" is that competition will get tougher and tougher, and we will continue, along with the CAA, to be the premier conference in FCS. As much as I love for the Dins to beat all you jack-legs when we meet on the field. Nothing makes me happier to see a stong and vibrant conference! GO SOCON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

proasu89
September 24th, 2008, 08:06 PM
And HOW did you keep that straight face?xrolleyesx

He was a guest of a member....and I really like my jobxthumbsupx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 24th, 2008, 08:32 PM

Correction: 4 of the last 7 against GSU
2001 - GSU wins
2002- Wofford wins
2003 - Wofford wins
2004 - GSU wins
2005 - Wofford wins
2006 - Wofford wins
2007 - GSU wins

[EDIT] D***, we haven't beat both Furman and Wofford since 2001. And the people at gsufans.com say we're in a private-school pansy league. :(

OL FU
September 25th, 2008, 06:45 AM
2001 - GSU wins
2002- Wofford wins
2003 - Wofford wins
2004 - GSU wins
2005 - Wofford wins
2006 - Wofford wins
2007 - GSU wins

[EDIT] D***, we haven't beat both Furman and Wofford since 2001. And the people at gsufans.com say we're in a private-school pansy league. :(

I think in 2001 you did beat Furman (the first time that season). We took the playoff rematch, so you can actually say in 2001 you beat both Furman and Wofford. You just can't say Furman didn't beat GSU in 2001 nor can you say you were undeafeated against the upstate private pansy division. xeyebrowx Gotta love rematch yearsxlolx

matfu
September 25th, 2008, 09:17 PM
There hasn't been a big three in several years. The depth of the SOCON has been improving for awhile now. It will only continue to improve. What the means for "the big three" is that competition will get tougher and tougher, and we will continue, along with the CAA, to be the premier conference in FCS. As much as I love for the Dins to beat all you jack-legs when we meet on the field. Nothing makes me happier to see a stong and vibrant conference! GO SOCON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-no doubt there is now parity in the southern conference. more "better" teams which makes for a better conference, more "big" games etc.
-my argument was that traditionally in the past the "big 3" was a reality and wofford is not now or has ever been part of a "big 3" in the southern conference...now in the future it could happen again

Reign of Terrier
September 25th, 2008, 09:24 PM
2001 - GSU wins
2002- Wofford wins
2003 - Wofford wins
2004 - GSU wins
2005 - Wofford wins
2006 - Wofford wins
2007 - GSU wins

I said IF we won THIS year. No guarantees. I'm just saying if we play well this year it will reflect even better on our six previous seasons.

phoenix3
September 25th, 2008, 09:49 PM

Just out of honest curiosity who have you seen in the past two years that is above average? Notwithstanding Jayson Foster, of course.

Baldy
September 25th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Just out of honest curiosity who have you seen in the past two years that is above average? Notwithstanding Jayson Foster, of course.

In the games that I have seen in which the QB played above average?

In no particular order:

Armanti Edwards
Ryan Berry
Matt Stafford
Duran Lawson
Caleb Hanie
Anthony Orio

nick9c
September 25th, 2008, 11:49 PM
-no doubt there is now parity in the southern conference. more "better" teams which makes for a better conference, more "big" games etc.
-my argument was that traditionally in the past the "big 3" was a reality and wofford is not now or has ever been part of a "big 3" in the southern conference...now in the future it could happen again

I think if Ga Southern has another down year or two, they effectively drop off as a "big 3" member. It's looking more and more like the "new big 3" are App St., Wofford, and Furman. Elon is now what Wofford was several years ago.

seantaylor
September 26th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Someone tell me how Furman would be in the mix? A 6-5 team? That has won 1 NC?

appfan2008
September 26th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I think if Ga Southern has another down year or two, they effectively drop off as a "big 3" member. It's looking more and more like the "new big 3" are App St., Wofford, and Furman. Elon is now what Wofford was several years ago.

Georgia Southern will always be considered among the elite in the conference... period... 6 NC's will do that...

OL FU
September 26th, 2008, 07:40 AM

Because this will be the third year in a row that we have defeated the almighty JawjaSouthxlolx

Seven Would Be Nice
September 26th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Because this will be the third year in a row that we have defeated the almighty JawjaSouthxlolx

Don't worry. We won't shoot ourselves in the foot again this year.

Death Dealer
September 26th, 2008, 08:00 AM

You won't have to. xcoolx xwhistlex

Death Dealer
September 26th, 2008, 08:08 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx what as dyck.xrolleyesx

Seems I remember beating ya'll's azzes last year. I know, I know, if it weren't for that missed fiield goal or some lame missed call by the officials.xrolleyesx Doesn't it get tiring having to make excuses why these pesky little pansy private schools keep posting W's on your worn out azzes? xsmiley_wix

OL FU
September 26th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Hell I hope you guys survive until that gamexsmiley_wix

Eaglesrus
September 26th, 2008, 08:24 AM

Thanks for your concern, but rest easy, we'll be therexnodx

proasu89
September 26th, 2008, 10:42 AM
xpopcornx

hippy@GSU
September 26th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Oh, Its on!!

OL FU
September 26th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Oh, Its on!!

Oh hell it's been on since 1985:p xsmiley_wix :)

CID1990
September 26th, 2008, 12:06 PM

What do last year's records and NCs have to do with this season?

speedwell
September 26th, 2008, 12:13 PM
WCU fans might find interesting stuff here: southernhighlandreader.com

furman94
September 26th, 2008, 03:51 PM

THIS IS THE **** THAT JUST PISSES ME OFF! xmadx Have you seen us this year? Have you seen your team this year. Please answer when you finish looking at these points of interest. xsmiley_wix

Eaglesrus
September 26th, 2008, 04:32 PM
What do last year's records and NCs have to do with this season?

THIS IS THE **** THAT JUST PISSES ME OFF! xmadx Have you seen us this year? Have you seen your team this year. Please answer when you finish looking at these points of interest. xsmiley_wix

I could be wrong, but I don't think that seantaylor's remark referred to this year. I believe it related to the earlier question of if there is still a SoCon big 3 and followed comments to the effect that if there is GSU isn't in it anymore.

OL FU
September 27th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think that seantaylor's remark referred to this year. I believe it related to the earlier question of if there is still a SoCon big 3 and followed comments to the effect that if there is GSU isn't in it anymore.

I think SeanTaylor's remarks referred to his hatred of Furman which is fine cuz we don't like him very much either:D

Death Dealer
September 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM
WOW!!!! Elon only wins by a TD????

citdog
September 27th, 2008, 04:00 PM
for The Citadel.......just another day at the office....9-5 baby!

Cadet Andre Roberts Wr xbowx xbowx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 27th, 2008, 04:01 PM
WOW!!!! Elon only wins by a TD????

We may have possibly underestimated Samford. They did play Ole Miss decently enough. Samford is looking better and better for that 7th place spot that they, Chatty, and Western are coveting.

SU DOG
September 27th, 2008, 04:05 PM
We are Not coveting the 7th spot. Actually, our aim is a little higher.

phoenixphanatic21
September 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I was greatly impressed by how well Samford played. They had a pretty good welcome to the Southern Conference. We did not look good at all today. Even though 2 of Riddle's picks shouldn't count against him, he looked a lil rusty at times, as did much of our offense. I think we may have also had a letdown from Georgia Southern last week and/or were caught looking ahead to Furman next week. Regardless, we were lucky to win that game today and I'm sure we all know it. Our defense finally stepped up at the end of the game, thank god, but Samford will definitely get at least one big upset over a SoCon power this year.

sugrad04
September 27th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the props. We still haven't learned how to seal games in the late stretch, but hopefully we'll learn from this loss, leave with confidence, and continue to put up a respectable fight against the other teams in the conference.

I was greatly impressed by how well Samford played. They had a pretty good welcome to the Southern Conference. We did not look good at all today. Even though 2 of Riddle's picks shouldn't count against him, he looked a lil rusty at times, as did much of our offense. I think we may have also had a letdown from Georgia Southern last week and/or were caught looking ahead to Furman next week. Regardless, we were lucky to win that game today and I'm sure we all know it. Our defense finally stepped up at the end of the game, thank god, but Samford will definitely get at least one big upset over a SoCon power this year.

PhoenixPhan06
September 28th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the props. We still haven't learned how to seal games in the late stretch, but hopefully we'll learn from this loss, leave with confidence, and continue to put up a respectable fight against the other teams in the conference.

After tonight I've come to the conclusion the you've got a fine football team and are going to be a great addition to the SoCon! A solid effort all game long and the game was in the balance until late in the fourth.

As a fan, I was caught looking past you guys and I apologize. You've gained my respect, and I hope the respect of others around the conference. I'm sure that you'll hold your own in the middle of the SoCon this year and within a few years could be right up there in the hunt for the title.

youwouldno
September 28th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Let's not get carried away. I have nothing against Samford but that's a team with a ways to go before making a lot of noise in the SoCon. This is a program with four straight losing seasons as an OVC member. Sullivan is a great coach and Samford will improve, but it won't happen overnight.

CID1990
September 28th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I think SeanTaylor's remarks referred to his hatred of Furman which is fine cuz we don't like him very much either:D

Seantaylor is a homer turd who doesn't bother to know anything about any team other than GSU. Good thing for GSU that Hatcher doesn't have the same attitude.

CID1990
September 28th, 2008, 08:12 AM

Based on the last two weeks it looks like you should take Hudgins off the Payton watch list and replace him with your field goal kicker.

nick9c
September 28th, 2008, 10:05 AM
We are Not coveting the 7th spot. Actually, our aim is a little higher.

Take care of bizness next week, and it looks like GSU, WCU, and UTC will be vying for the coveted 7th spot.

whoanellie
September 28th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Georgia Southern will always be considered among the elite in the conference... period... 6 NC's will do that...

please take GSU lightly, they can and have screwed up several of your season's.....

your only as good as AE goes and he can't be replaced during this season.

whoanellie
September 28th, 2008, 11:05 AM

from the box score it looked like a run up score xnonox

ASUG8
September 28th, 2008, 01:52 PM

Dig deeper and see who did the scoring - not exactly the first team.

GaSouthern
September 28th, 2008, 03:11 PM
GSU's Season is over. good luck to the rest of the SoCon.

proasu89
September 28th, 2008, 08:16 PM

A couple of things here...

66-12 seems more like running it up than 48-14. Our backup QB came in during the 3rd quarter and threw exactly one pass the rest of the game. We scored our last points with 7:59 left in the game.

See you at the Rock,

Proasu89

gsugt1
September 29th, 2008, 09:19 AM

TBD. I would hope you would win the last 2. It's pretty easy to beat a first year hed coach who is putting in his system. You beat BVG's team by 3 and CH's team last year by 2. Once we get the stabilty back we will be back to owning Furman again. Mark it down.

ElonPride
September 29th, 2008, 09:35 AM
A couple of things here...

66-12 seems more like running it up than 48-14. Our backup QB came in during the 3rd quarter and threw exactly one pass the rest of the game. We scored our last points with 7:59 left in the game.

See you at the Rock,

Proasu89

In our defense on this topic (which is ridiculous), Elon only scored 14 in the 2nd half. The last TD was scored with 11:27 left in the 4th.

Keep in mind, 35 of the points came in the first quarter.xsmiley_wix