PDA

View Full Version : So who is #1?

JmuSkinsfan
September 21st, 2008, 12:29 AM
I know we have the AGS poll to settle this come Monday, but honestly ... who gets #1? Is JMU's win over #3 UMass last week and #1 Appy tonight enough to leap frog all the way to #1? Or does Richmond slide up and JMU take #2? Or does JMU only get up to #2 and Montana moves up to #3?

Honestly, my top 5 right now would be this (and I can't vote in AGS poll)

1) JMU
2) Richmond
3) ASU
4) Montana
5) McNeese

theasushow
September 21st, 2008, 12:33 AM
i would flip flop jmu and richmond, jmu was spectacular tonight, but i think richmond (especially with the close game against uva) has proven just a bit more. jmu is still a force to be reckoned with.

FargoBison
September 21st, 2008, 12:35 AM
1. Richmond
2. Montana
3. JMU
4. Cal Poly
5. UNI

It is a shame McNeese and Cal Poly couldn't have gotten their game in.

JmuSkinsfan
September 21st, 2008, 12:39 AM
i would flip flop jmu and richmond, jmu was spectacular tonight, but i think richmond (especially with the close game against uva) has proven just a bit more. jmu is still a force to be reckoned with.

Wow. So assuming (knocking on wood) that JMU and Richmond win the games they should win between now and Oct. 11 (?) ... we could be looking at #1 v. #2??!!

theasushow
September 21st, 2008, 12:42 AM
absolutely.

theasushow
September 21st, 2008, 12:43 AM
i think that game (while not as much hype) will have more playoff implications than asu-jmu.

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 21st, 2008, 12:45 AM
I would put Richmond ahead of JMU.....

App St is still the team to beat......

LehighFan11
September 21st, 2008, 12:46 AM
JMU is #1 for me, with wins over Umass and App St.
Richmond had a great first win @ Elon but they haven't had the quality of wins that JMU has had already.

JmuSkinsfan
September 21st, 2008, 12:58 AM
JMU is #1 for me, with wins over Umass and App St.
Richmond had a great first win @ Elon but they haven't had the quality of wins that JMU has had already.

That is my argument for having JMU #1. I don't want to sound like a Homer, but we did beat #3 and #1 in back to back weeks! Can we finally put that Duke game behind us?!

siuham
September 21st, 2008, 01:01 AM
JMU. It was a tough decision between them and Richmond though.

October 11th will be fun.

theasushow
September 21st, 2008, 01:03 AM
to be brutally honest its hard to forget the 31-7 game against duke. but jmu has certainly turned things around the past 2 weeks and before long the duke game will be all but forgotten. just not quite yet.

EmeryZach
September 21st, 2008, 01:08 AM
Richmond #1

JmuSkinsfan
September 21st, 2008, 01:08 AM
to be brutally honest its hard to forget the 31-7 game against duke. but jmu has certainly turned things around the past 2 weeks and before long the duke game will be all but forgotten. just not quite yet.

Ohhhh come onnnnn xeyebrowx xrolleyesx xoopsx

JmuSkinsfan
September 21st, 2008, 01:09 AM
Richmond #1

Still bitter? xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

introvertedGSUfan
September 21st, 2008, 01:15 AM
Richmond gets my vote.

EmeryZach
September 21st, 2008, 01:17 AM
Still bitter? xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

Not at all. You are better than UMass but I still think Richmond is the team to beat.

JmuSkinsfan
September 21st, 2008, 01:32 AM
Not at all. You are better than UMass but I still think Richmond is the team to beat.

I'm just messing with you man. UR is still unchallenged ... which makes the game in a few weeks HUUUUGE. Both for CAA standings and overall rankings.

Anyone else think it's ridiculous that potential #1 and #2 teams (regardless of how it shapes up) are from the CAA South?! That in itself is pretty amazing.

And props to Furman tonight!

RazorEdge19
September 21st, 2008, 01:38 AM
I'm just messing with you man. UR is still unchallenged ... which makes the game in a few weeks HUUUUGE. Both for CAA standings and overall rankings.

Anyone else think it's ridiculous that potential #1 and #2 teams (regardless of how it shapes up) are from the CAA South?! That in itself is pretty amazing.

I wonder what happens to Wofford now. A close loss to South Carolina, does that warrant a rise in the rankings due to the losses by NDSU and App or do we simply stand pat...

blackfordpu
September 21st, 2008, 01:42 AM
JMU

Nebuta
September 21st, 2008, 02:36 AM
I got JMU #1A and Richmond #1B. Both teams a worthy of the top spot

App State still the team to beat when it comes to the post season
As Ric Flair says "to be the man, you got to beat the man"

uofmman1122
September 21st, 2008, 02:49 AM
#1 JMU
#2 Richmond
#3 UNI
#4 ASU
#5A Montana
#5B Cal Poly

And I don't think JMU is a runaway #1 by any stretch. Sure, they beat ASU, which warrants being #1, but I don't think UMASS deserved to be #3 when they were, so I won't hold that one as high.

crunifan
September 21st, 2008, 03:19 AM
I'd give to James Madison, for sure.

I will say after watching what BYU has done to UCLA (59-0) and Wyoming (44-0) our 41-17 is looking better and better...

KiddBrewer
September 21st, 2008, 03:41 AM
i say richmond, JMU, and everybody else........and by everybody else....i mean ASU..........na on a serious note, there are some really solid teams this year that can compete, but i personally put those 3 above the rest right now

Madisonian
September 21st, 2008, 07:23 AM
I wonder what happens to Wofford now. A close loss to South Carolina, does that warrant a rise in the rankings due to the losses by NDSU and App or do we simply stand pat...

I give Wofford props, and a much deserved increase in the rankings. That was an impressive outing by the Terriers. May have been the best showing against an FBS team of that caliber in 2008.xthumbsupx

Madisonian
September 21st, 2008, 07:26 AM
I give Richmond the #1 ranking. Strategically, I want JMU to be the underdog coming into the 10/11 Game. Couple that with a loss at homecoming last year, the Dukes should be ready. -It's all about motivation. Being #1 comes with a lot of responsibility and everyone is gunning to knock off the #1 ranked team.

igo4uni
September 21st, 2008, 07:33 AM
JMU has had 2 really impressive wins. They should be numero uno.

phoenix3
September 21st, 2008, 07:38 AM
Richmond.

gophoenix
September 21st, 2008, 07:45 AM
Richmond, not because they beat Elon but because they didn't lose to Duke.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2008, 08:11 AM
I'd say Montana or Richmond would be more than likely who I'd peg. Considering I had the Griz as my #1 last week -- that's the direction that I am maintaining. They're finding ways to win games and we know, the GWFC has some tough teams. They just beat both Cal teams!

danefan
September 21st, 2008, 08:12 AM
I voted Richmond. JMU, Montana and App State......

jstclmet
September 21st, 2008, 09:04 AM
Slow your roll re #1 vs #2. There's a lot of football for JMU & UR prior to 10/11.

1st off let me start off by congratulating JMU on their 3 - 1 beginning. I truly thought they would start the season out with a 1 - 3 mark, and they have proved me wrong. Good job fellas, but you've only won the 1st qtr of your season. Ya still got a lot of football left. xthumbsupx xbowx

Prior to the JMU @ UR matchup of 10/11, JMU is at Maine on 9/27 (common opponent with UR), and home against Hofstra on 10/4. UR travels to Nova on 9/27, and is home against VMI on 10/4. No disrepect to HU & VMI, but I think next week's games will be the tougher of the two in both cases. Both are on the road against good teams. Montana has D2 Central Washington @ home on 9/27 and travels to Weber St. on 10/4.

I'm not voting in the AGS poll, but a quick poll based on W/L rec's and the previous week's poll, I would vote something like this;

1. Richmond
2. Montana
3. JMU
4. McNeese
5. App St.
6. UNI
7. UNH
8. NDSU
9. Wofford
10. Cal Poly
11. Delaware
12. EWU
13. SIU
14. UMass
15. Elon
16. UCA
17. Nova
18. WIU
19. SDSU
20. Citadel
21. EIU
22. Furman
23. Ga. So.
24. Tenn St.
25. Liberty

furman94
September 21st, 2008, 09:08 AM
What has The Citadel done to be ranked ahead of Furman?

furman94
September 21st, 2008, 09:08 AM
Double post

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 21st, 2008, 09:18 AM
Slow your roll re #1 vs #2. There's a lot of football for JMU & UR prior to 10/11.

1st off let me start off by congratulating JMU on their 3 - 1 beginning. I truly thought they would start the season out with a 1 - 3 mark, and they have proved me wrong. Good job fellas, but you've only won the 1st qtr of your season. Ya still got a lot of football left. xthumbsupx xbowx

Prior to the JMU @ UR matchup of 10/11, JMU is at Maine on 9/27 (common opponent with UR), and home against Hofstra on 10/4. UR travels to Nova on 9/27, and is home against VMI on 10/4. No disrepect to HU & VMI, but I think next week's games will be the tougher of the two in both cases. Both are on the road against good teams.

I'm not voting in the AGS poll, but a quick poll based on W/L rec's and the previous week's poll, I would vote something like this;

1. Richmond
2. Montana
3. JMU
4. McNeese
5. App St.
6. UNI
7. UNH
8. NDSU
9. Wofford
10. Cal Poly
11. Delaware
12. EWU
13. SIU
14. UMass
15. Elon
16. UCA
17. Nova
18. WIU
19. SDSU
20. Citadel
21. EIU
22. Furman
23. Ga. So.
24. Tenn St.
25. Liberty

.........SO TRUE................too many games before JMU vs UR......focus on next week.......

JohnStOnge
September 21st, 2008, 09:24 AM
The bad thing is that, after the overwhelming majority of I-AA/FCS seasons, the team that went into the tournament #1 did not come out of it #1.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 21st, 2008, 09:57 AM

Unchallenged? xeyebrowx

We won soundly on the road at Elon, a ranked team that won at GSU last night ... we lost to UVA ... and beat Towson and Maine at home. Unranked teams, but conference opponents, no less.

Remember that JMU basically had a Bye Week in the 2nd week.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 21st, 2008, 09:59 AM

Prior to the JMU @ UR matchup of 10/11, JMU is at Maine on 9/27 (common opponent with UR), and home against Hofstra on 10/4. UR travels to Nova on 9/27, and is home against VMI on 10/4. No disrepect to HU & VMI, but I think next week's games will be the tougher of the two in both cases. Both are on the road against good teams. Montana has D2 Central Washington @ home on 9/27 and travels to Weber St. on 10/4.

1. Richmond
2. Montana
3. JMU
4. McNeese
5. App St.
6. UNI
7. UNH
8. NDSU
9. Wofford
10. Cal Poly
11. Delaware
12. EWU
13. SIU
14. UMass
15. Elon
16. UCA
17. Nova
18. WIU
19. SDSU
20. Citadel
21. EIU
22. Furman
23. Ga. So.
24. Tenn St.
25. Liberty

Don't worry. We will not be looking past Villanova. We know we have a huge test this Saturday.

griz&beer
September 21st, 2008, 11:06 AM
JMU
Richmond
ASU
UNI
Griz
NDSU big loss they just tripped

griz&beer
September 21st, 2008, 11:10 AM
JMU
Richmond
ASU
UNI
Griz
NDSU big loss they just tripped

ASUG8
September 21st, 2008, 11:45 AM
JMU has had 2 really impressive wins. They should be numero uno.

Yep, taking out #3 and #1 back to back deserves some cudos.

spiderman87
September 21st, 2008, 12:10 PM
I do not think that JMU deserves to jump 5 spots just because of one win- even if it was against App St. It was a great win in Harrisonburg, but lets not forget how close it was- it was NO runaway. Richmond was in contention to beat their 1-A adversary- didn't really look like that for JMU! JMU may have had tougher opponents in recent weeks, but UR stomped their most recent opponents by an average margin of 30 points- not to mention kicking off the season against a top 15 team. I think Richmond deserves the #1 spot, with JMU coming in at a close #2. I hope everyone has COMCAST for 10/11!

Madisonian
September 21st, 2008, 12:12 PM
For my Elon friends, you may want to stop disrespecting Duke as they host UVA at Durham this Saturday. Having seen both teams play, I am going with Duke as the winner on the 27th. Possibly by two touchdowns. UVA lost to UConn by 35 points. Is UConn a powerhouse football team? If I recall, there are plenty of folks on this board claiming how bad it is that GSU lost to Elon (as your historical reputation is much like Duke's - not the best). This season, it appears that you have a good football team. Congrats, now do your homework on other teams, before you start firing off. What FBS opponent do you guys play this year?

Madisonian
September 21st, 2008, 12:14 PM
I do not think that JMU deserves to jump 5 spots just because of one win- even if it was against App St. It was a great win in Harrisonburg, but lets not forget how close it was- it was NO runaway. Richmond was in contention to beat their 1-A adversary- didn't really look like that for JMU! JMU may have had tougher opponents in recent weeks, but UR stomped their most recent opponents by an average margin of 30 points- not to mention kicking off the season against a top 15 team. I think Richmond deserves the #1 spot, with JMU coming in at a close #2. I hope everyone has COMCAST for 10/11!

How about 2 wins against #3 and #1?xsmiley_wix Welcome to the boards Spiderman. Possibly a bit closer competition? No?

I believe my earlier post will shed some light on your FBS opponent statement.

gophoenix
September 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
For my Elon friends, you may want to stop disrespecting Duke as they host UVA at Durham this Saturday. Having seen both teams play, I am going with Duke as the winner on the 27th. Possibly by two touchdowns. UVA lost to UConn by 35 points. Is UConn a powerhouse football team? If I recall, there are plenty of folks on this board claiming how bad it is that GSU lost to Elon (as your historical reputation is much like Duke's - not the best). This season, it appears that you have a good football team. Congrats, now do your homework on other teams, before you start firing off. What FCS opponent do you guys play this year?

Our historical reputation is more like Wake's. Up and down depending on the decade. No SoCon team, other than VMI, has been so consistently down for nearly 4 decades.

This thread is for opinions, I gave mine and stand by it. Nearly the same Duke team last year lost to Richmond 13-0. Some good coaching, and Duke is a bit better. I'll grant you that. But, until Duke has 1 or 2 descent seasons under their belt, they still sound bad to lose to (much like the shoes Elon and The Citadel are in now).

Richmond beat us (#14). Not only beat us, they dismantled every part of our game. Something that hasn't been done since. JMU has beaten UMass and App, #3 and #1 respectively. But rankings are really crap. What do they mean, especially this early in the season? All we know so far is that UMass wasn't #3 and App wasn't #1 during those weeks. And even after taking down #3, Richmond stayed ahead of you. There's a reason Richmond was ranked ahead of JMU for nearly the whole season. And my gut tells me, Richmond should stay in front until proven otherwise.

This is no strike against JMU, UMass or App. Like I said, this thread is for opinions and this is mine.

Madisonian
September 21st, 2008, 12:19 PM
Our historical reputation is more like Wake's. Up and down depending on the decade. No SoCon team, other than VMI, has been so consistently down for nearly 4 decades.

This thread is for opinions, I gave mine and stand by it. Nearly the same Duke team last year lost to Richmond 13-0. Some good coaching, and Duke is a bit better. I'll grant you that. But, until Duke has 1 or 2 descent seasons under their belt, they still sound bad to lose to (much like the shoes Elon and The Citadel are in now).

Richmond beat us. Not only beat us, dismantled every part of our game. Something that hasn't been done since. JMU has beaten UMass and App. There's a reason Richmond was ranked ahead of JMU for nearly the whole season. And my gut tells me, Richmond should stay in front until proven otherwise.

Actually, Didn't Richmond beat Duke two years ago? Just checking.

gophoenix
September 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM
Actually, Didn't Richmond beat Duke two years ago? Just checking.

Was it? Could be, I am by no means a walking encyclopedia. :D

bjtheflamesfan
September 21st, 2008, 12:38 PM
I had JMU pretty low my last couple ballots but Id have to say this:

1. Richmond
2. JMU
3. Montana
4. McNeese
5. ASU

furman94
September 21st, 2008, 12:40 PM
Why McNeese?

URMite
September 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM

1. Richmond
2. Montana
3. JMU
4. McNeese
5. App St.
6. UNI
7. UNH
8. NDSU
9. Wofford
10. Cal Poly
11. Delaware
12. EWU
13. SIU
14. UMass
15. Elon
16. UCA
17. Nova
18. WIU
19. SDSU
20. Citadel
21. EIU
22. Furman
23. Ga. So.
24. Tenn St.
25. Liberty

Actually the VMI game is away, we give them home and homes because of our long tradition. xoopsx

But yes this week is probably tougher for both JMU/UR. You guy are good but in a little bit of turmoil at QB. We saw enough of Whitney last yr. I still think you guys are close to a breakout and discount the Penn game as a rivalry. JMU should beat Maine but they are a team that can and will take advantage if you don't keep your head in the game.

One strange fact - we have a losing record against VMI even if most of it is ancient history:
1-12-1 Pre Depression then
5-0-0
6-21-4 from '36-'66 then
10-0-0
1-5-0 leading up to the move to I-AA (gotta love the yrs beat VT lose to VMI xeekx )
16-2-0 in I-AA(FCS)

bjtheflamesfan
September 21st, 2008, 01:08 PM
I moved JMU and Montana up and I thought Id move McNeese up (a lot of teams with bye weeks were shifted around on my ballot with the different results of this weekend) and I think McNeese is a good team and really control their destiny going into next week.

URMite
September 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM
For my Elon friends, you may want to stop disrespecting Duke as they host UVA at Durham this Saturday. Having seen both teams play, I am going with Duke as the winner on the 27th. Possibly by two touchdowns. UVA lost to UConn by 35 points. Is UConn a powerhouse football team? If I recall, there are plenty of folks on this board claiming how bad it is that GSU lost to Elon (as your historical reputation is much like Duke's - not the best). This season, it appears that you have a good football team. Congrats, now do your homework on other teams, before you start firing off. What FBS opponent do you guys play this year?

UConn is not a powerhouse but they may not be that bad (9-3 last yr). I think they would be above average non BCS.

I also think the perception of our UVA game will drop. Their starting QB played against us, but not against Uconn and is now off the team for trouble that was known before our game, but they couldn't risk losing to a FCS team. Now no one will remember that it was 3-0 with 7 1/2 minutes to go or that UVA was marginally better when we played them.

I think Duke is significantly improved and may have beaten UVA anyway, but I'm not sure a victory this week will completely settle the meaning of our FBS games. Not that they should mean very much as the season goes on.

URMite
September 21st, 2008, 01:35 PM
Why McNeese?

Why not? I have had McNeese as the best team without a significant win. The UNC game where they seemed to outplay that team looks better as UNC appears as improved this year as Duke. I just can't put them above anybody who has a good win until they finish somebody off. (Sort of like Wofford)

Madisonian
September 21st, 2008, 01:40 PM
URMite, I think, (check that) I know you are my favorite UR guy (and that's saying something as my brother is a UR alum). -Rational arguments, thank you for that! That's what makes FCS so great, the only ranking that matters is the final one. I agree with the sentiment on McNeese and Wofford as both played well against a superior foe.

UMStudent
September 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM
1. Richmond
2. JMU
3. App
4. Mont
5. Mcneese
6. EWU (Watch these guys this season, 3 all-americans, BSC champ. contenders, I wish I had tickets for this one in Chenney)
7. NDSU
8. UNI
9. UNH
10. CalPoly

OK I know EWU #6; just hear me out. This is just what I've been hearing on campus, and I don't doubt it. EWU has always played very well especially against teams with a lot to lose *caugh* Montana. They also made it to the Quater finals last year. Beat #2 McNeese State and finished 8th overall at the end of the season. They return 3 all-americans Greg Peach, Aaron Boyce a very talented WR, he put on a show last year at Montana, and Lance Witherspoon. They also have Matt Nichols the BSC MVP, who is a very smart accurate QB. One thing they still have to do is bring all those pieces together if they dont, they could fall out of the picture quickly. Although their 52-31 victory over Western Washington isn't very impressing I think once they start hitting on all cylinders their going to be hard to beat. I also believe they have the best chance to de-thrown Montana and clinch the BSC crown. Now I havn't lost faith in the griz but if we're not ready for them they could win this one.

I also belive there can be some flip floping at the #1 and 2 and with the 6 and 7 rankings. NDSU just tripped a little it happens to the best of us. Now i havn't seen or really heard any thing on Richmond but whats on this forum so they won it purely on your replys. I'm not doubting JMU they have an excellrnt program and have worthy #1 teams. I also still believe App could win it all. I do know one thing its going to be fun watching this season unfold.

BDKJMU
September 21st, 2008, 02:59 PM
That is my argument for having JMU #1. I don't want to sound like a Homer, but we did beat #3 and #1 in back to back weeks! Can we finally put that Duke game behind us?!

We DON"T WANT #1 right now. UR can have it, and provided they get by @Nova next week, then they'll wax VMI, and will come into the game vs JMU on the 11th at #1. JMU just has to take care of business in their trap game @ Maine next week and then beat Hofstra at home on parents' weekend. I'd rather go into a #1 vs #2 matchup as #2. Wasn't the last time a #1 vs #2 happened during the regular season 96' Marshall vs ASU?

Mountaineer
September 21st, 2008, 03:06 PM
I think the case could be made for either JMU or Richmond. It's a tossup with both teams playing great football right now. xnodx

BDKJMU
September 21st, 2008, 03:08 PM
I give Richmond the #1 ranking. Strategically, I want JMU to be the underdog coming into the 10/11 Game. Couple that with a loss at homecoming last year, the Dukes should be ready. -It's all about motivation. Being #1 comes with a lot of responsibility and everyone is gunning to knock off the #1 ranked team.

Ditto..

RabidRabbit
September 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM
I'd say Montana or Richmond would be more than likely who I'd peg. Considering I had the Griz as my #1 last week -- that's the direction that I am maintaining. They're finding ways to win games and we know, the GWFC has some tough teams. They just beat both Cal teams!

xlolx xlolx xlolx Montana is the Regular season Great West Champ!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

elkmcc
September 21st, 2008, 03:35 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx Montana is the Regular season Great West Champ!!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx

I'm scracthing my head here. You receive a nice compliment from someone on your former conference and you reply by slamming him and Montana. The laugher here is your GWC lost to Montana. Belittling
the Griz only makes your conference look weaker.

I must admit after reading this thread I am a little disappointed in the sour grapes from the Poly and Davis fans. Slostang especially, is usually above the mud slinging and excuse making.

JohnStOnge
September 21st, 2008, 03:39 PM
I was impressed with the way McNeese played against UNC but now things are not working out well. Cal Poly was slated to be a real barometer of where the Cowboys are and it got canceled. Now they're going to go into the South Dakota State game on the road after two off weekends followed by a game against an NAIA that is 0-2 against mediocre D-IIIs while giving up 31 points per game to those D-IIIs. Meanwhile South Dakota State is getting battle tested every week.

If they can beat South Dakota State on the road under the circumstances that have developed I'll be optimistic. Until then, I'd say McNeese is an unknown at best.

BDKJMU
September 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM

Duke is at least as good as if not better than UVA. Duke is 2-1, handling JMU and Navy, with a 24-20 loss @ Northwestern where they totally outplayed Northwestern, outgaining them by 144 yards, losing the only thing that mattered, the scoreboard.

UVA:
USC L 52-7
UR W 16-0
UConn L 45-10. (yeah, I know, they lost their starting QB before the game)

I think Duke goes 4-8. I think UVA goes 2-10, 3-9. A 16 point loss to UVA right now only looks slightly better than a 24 point loss to Duke. We'll find out next week with UVA @ Duke.

All that being said, my top 5 would be:
1.UR
2. JMU
3. ASU
4. Montana
5. McNeese

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM
JMU fans, you'll have to excuse my SoCon brethern. We just got done with playing UGA, Florida State, Virginia Tech, LSU, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Clemson as a conference. So, we aren't overly impressed you even scheduled Duke, much less got blown out by them.

Gil Dobie
September 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM
How about 2 wins against #3 and #1?xsmiley_wix Welcome to the boards Spiderman. Possibly a bit closer competition? No?

I believe my earlier post will shed some light on your FBS opponent statement.

Some people had Richmond #1 last week. I had App St #4 & JMU #6 last week. To answer the question, Richmond still #1.

AppStateold299
September 21st, 2008, 03:59 PM
Like someone said in an earlier post. JMU has put up back-to-back impressive Wins against UMass and AppState. I think Richmond is an unbelievable team, but JMU has a little more impressive schedule. I would put them as #1 followed very closely by Richmond at #2. Why oh why couldn't we finish the second half a little stronger. Or at the very least not fumbled on the 15 yard line when we could have taken back the lead. Oh well!

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 21st, 2008, 04:08 PM
1. Northern Iowa
2. Richmond
3. Montana
4. Eastern Washington
5. McNeese State

blur2005
September 21st, 2008, 04:42 PM
Duke is at least as good as if not better than UVA. Duke is 2-1, handling JMU and Navy, with a 24-20 loss @ Northwestern where they totally outplayed Northwestern, outgaining them by 144 yards, losing the only thing that mattered, the scoreboard.

USC L 52-7
UR W 16-0
UConn L 45-10.

I think Duke goes 4-8. I think UVA goes 2-10, 3-9. A 16 point loss to UVA right now only looks slightly better than a 24 point loss to Duke. We'll find out next week with UVA @ Duke.

All that being said, my top 5 would be:
1.UR
2. JMU
3. ASU
4. Montana
5. McNeese
UVA is awful this year. I was certain Richmond would give us a run for our money and I thought they could very well win before things went awry for them in the 4th quarter. I'm also pretty sure Duke will beat UVA this coming weekend. Given this, Duke beating JMU doesn't really seem to be a big deal to me. Granted, it was by 24 points, but I don't think it's hugely relevant to ranking the teams.

UNHWildCats
September 21st, 2008, 04:45 PM
1. Northern Iowa
2. Richmond
3. Montana
4. Eastern Washington
5. McNeese State
xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

You need to put down that stuff you're smoking.

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2008, 05:11 PM
Montana....undefeated....won at CP

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 21st, 2008, 05:24 PM
We DON"T WANT #1 right now. UR can have it, and provided they get by @Nova next week, then they'll wax VMI, and will come into the game vs JMU on the 11th at #1. JMU just has to take care of business in their trap game @ Maine next week and then beat Hofstra at home on parents' weekend. I'd rather go into a #1 vs #2 matchup as #2. Wasn't the last time a #1 vs #2 happened during the regular season 96' Marshall vs ASU?

....Ditto...............

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2008, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by FCS_pwns_FBS
1. Northern Iowa
2. Richmond
3. Montana
4. Eastern Washington
5. McNeese State

xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

You need to put down that stuff you're smoking.

Yeah, EWU at #4???xconfusedx

UNHWildCats
September 21st, 2008, 05:36 PM
Yeah, EWU at #4???xconfusedx
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

What about UNI and the lack of JMU?xcoolx

Madisonian
September 21st, 2008, 05:39 PM
JMU fans, you'll have to excuse my SoCon brethern. We just got done with playing UGA, Florida State, Virginia Tech, LSU, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Clemson as a conference. So, we aren't overly impressed you even scheduled Duke, much less got blown out by them.

What's a brethern? And why should I exuse it? We apologize for the schedule, we (the fans) take turns serving as de facto athletic director. I believe the Duke scheduling was on my watch. Sorry guys!xthumbsupx

Madisonian
September 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM
Some people had Richmond #1 last week. I had App St #4 & JMU #6 last week. To answer the question, Richmond still #1.

I believe I was speaking of the coaches poll. AGS is fun and all, but not how the FCS is ranked to my knowledge. Thanks Gil for the input.

spiderman87
September 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
from all these JMU fan comments, it sounds like they're not to certain about being #1 ("UR can have it")- if they actually thought JMU should be #1 then they wouldn't be conceding anything....

Madisonian
September 21st, 2008, 05:46 PM
As far as I'm concerned, its your's until proven otherwise. Good luck hanging on to it!

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM
from all these JMU fan comments, it sounds like they're not to certain about being #1 ("UR can have it")- if they actually thought JMU should be #1 then they wouldn't be conceding anything....

Hey Spiderman.....You know what being #1 now and $1.94 gets you? A nice cup of coffee from Starbucks!!!!!xcoffeex

Your first two postings = ROOKIE......lol......:D

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2008, 05:50 PM

shhhhh ;)

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM
Hey Spiderman.....You know what being #1 now and $1.94 gets you? A nice cup of coffee from Starbucks!!!!!xcoffeex

Your first two postings = ROOKIE......lol......:D

What have your first 675 posts given us? ;) xlolx xlolx xlolx

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2008, 05:52 PM
I've seen enough games to know that the only ranking that counts is top 16. After that, it's a crap shoot.

Pantherpower
September 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM

What about UNI??? ALL rankings at this point to me are pure b.s. but I'll take UNI's L to BYU over Richmond's to VA and certainly JMU's to Duke.

UNI went into Provo and had the ball inside the BYU 30 down 27-17 w/ only ten minutes to go. People see the final score of 41-17 but it was much more competitive (and physical).

I firmly believe that BYU struggled with UW as much as they did the following week (as we did against USD) due to how physical that game was. I've never seen such a hard-hitting game.

Lots of season left but at this point I don't see anything wrong with UNI, Richmond, Montana, JMU and ASU in the discussion for top 5.

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM
I didn't vote us #1. All I want is the Valley title and playoffs in the Dome. The rest is icing.

BDKJMU
September 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM
1. Northern Iowa
2. Richmond
3. Montana
4. Eastern Washington
5. McNeese State

You're on crack if you don't think JMU is top 5. Every single poll out there will have them top 2-4 this week.

BDKJMU
September 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM

If JMU is # 5 and they jumped 4 spots they'd be #1. How could they jump 5 spots and be ranked higher than #1? Is that some new age math they teach at UR?xsmiley_wix

jmu_duke07
September 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM
How can a team not be ranked #1 if they beat a #3 and a #1 back to back... Richmond isn't THAT good.

SactoHornetFan
September 21st, 2008, 06:35 PM
I put JMU as #1 in my poll and Richmond #2. To me, JMU has the quality wins at this point, even though UR played UVA tough. The key there is wins.

BDKJMU
September 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
Richmond, not because they beat Elon but because they didn't lose to Duke.

UR lost by 16 to UVA, who probably isn't any better than Duke.

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 21st, 2008, 06:38 PM
What have your first 675 posts given us? ;) xlolx xlolx xlolx

Let me check my records and get back to you.xreadx

xlolx xlolx xlolx

mcveyrl
September 21st, 2008, 06:38 PM

Yea, but the team that got blown out by Duke just beat the "darling" of your conference, so what does that say about the SoCon?...so you lost to higher profile FBS teams - congrats. xsmiley_wix

Seriously, I will move UR up to number one and have us 2 or 3. I would agree that Richmond hasn't played the FCS schedule we have, but they'll have their turn and if they're not up to snuff, they'll drop. For now, I don't have a reason not to put them no. 1.

As most have pointed out, the best part about FCS is that this is all BS until Turkey Day.

BDKJMU
September 21st, 2008, 06:41 PM

Richmond beat us (#14). Not only beat us, they dismantled every part of our game. Something that hasn't been done since. JMU has beaten UMass and App, #3 and #1 respectively. But rankings are really crap. What do they mean, especially this early in the season? All we know so far is that UMass wasn't #3 and App wasn't #1 during those weeks. And even after taking down #3, Richmond stayed ahead of you. There's a reason Richmond was ranked ahead of JMU for nearly the whole season. And my gut tells me, Richmond should stay in front until proven otherwise.

This is no strike against JMU, UMass or App. Like I said, this thread is for opinions and this is mine.

Duke lost to UR TWO years ago, not last yr. xnonox And that was a Duke team that isn't nearly as good as this years.

And your opinion will be proven wrong if Duke beats UVGay this weekend. I don't like Duke, and I hate UVA. I would have loved to have seen UR beat them.

19Duke97
September 21st, 2008, 07:07 PM
Rankings outside of getting a few home games in the playoffs are irrelavent. If Richmond is #1 so be it, Montana, fine. All I want to do is win another National Championship, polls be da^mned. If we win out through oct 11, we will be #1 for certain, but again, what's #1 in Sept or Oct if we lose in the playoffs?

ur2k
September 21st, 2008, 07:20 PM
How can a team not be ranked #1 if they beat a #3 and a #1 back to back... Richmond isn't THAT good.

You can have #1. We like being the hunter rather than the hunted. You're right, we aren't good. We've just gotten lucky so far this year. You can probably just chalk up Oct. 11 as a win, we probably won't even show up that day. xbowx

Either way at this point #1 or #2 doesn't mean a thing. I'd prefer to be seeded anywhere from 1-4 at the end of the season so we don't have to go on the road to a place like Boone again.

URMite
September 21st, 2008, 10:08 PM
URMite, I think, (check that) I know you are my favorite UR guy (and that's saying something as my brother is a UR alum). -Rational arguments, thank you for that! That's what makes FCS so great, the only ranking that matters is the final one. I agree with the sentiment on McNeese and Wofford as both played well against a superior foe.

Just read this. Thanks, maybe it has something to do with the fact that my main connection with UR has been sports & classes and not social life. xlolx

I think that if you agree with last weeks AGS poll then maybe we should be #1. JMU won at home the last 2 weeks how much can you adjust their ranking? Aren't top 5 teams suppose to win at home? OTOH, if there hadn't been a poll the 1st three weeks, I could see JMU as #1 this week. But like both sides have said #1 in September isn't a big deal. Unless it could help UR marketing to be successful. Or unless it would limit the boasting or campaigning posts by JMU xwhistlex xpeacex .

One last look at the UVA & Duke games. I think everyone is looking at it like this - JMU's mistakes came earlier in the game so that Duke was up 28-7 6 minutes into the 2nd half, UR was still virtually even (despite opportunities by UVA mistakes) in the middle of the 4th qtr. Plus they are looking at Duke's record the last 3 seasons and UVA being 9-3 regular season last year. It might not be right but it is the perception.

URMite
September 21st, 2008, 10:32 PM
1. Northern Iowa
2. Richmond
3. Montana
4. Eastern Washington
5. McNeese State

I thought GSU was on the east coast? Where is your bias?xlolx

URMite
September 21st, 2008, 10:39 PM
I believe I was speaking of the coaches poll. AGS is fun and all, but not how the FCS is ranked to my knowledge. Thanks Gil for the input.

I actually have more faith in AGS poll (and not just because we are ranked higher). I agree the media/coaches polls get more publicity but they also seem to have more anomalies. In particular the coaches poll does look more like the SIDs poll. Of course the more I hear the reasoning of a few voters here, the less confident I feel (maybe it is like sausage.).

But overall there seems like a higher percentage of voters at AGS that do a lot of nationwide research.

URMite
September 21st, 2008, 10:42 PM
I've seen enough games to know that the only ranking that counts is top 16. After that, it's a crap shoot.

Well by mid November there is also the top 4.

McNeese75
September 21st, 2008, 11:10 PM
I was impressed with the way McNeese played against UNC but now things are not working out well. Cal Poly was slated to be a real barometer of where the Cowboys are and it got canceled. Now they're going to go into the South Dakota State game on the road after two off weekends followed by a game against an NAIA that is 0-2 against mediocre D-IIIs while giving up 31 points per game to those D-IIIs. Meanwhile South Dakota State is getting battle tested every week.

If they can beat South Dakota State on the road under the circumstances that have developed I'll be optimistic. Until then, I'd say McNeese is an unknown at best.

Just out of curiosity, where do YOU have the pokes ranked this week??

ngineer
September 21st, 2008, 11:14 PM
I'm going with Richmond #1 at present and JMU #2. UR seems to be a tad more consistent, but at this time of year, #1 v #2 is always debateable.

URMite
September 21st, 2008, 11:21 PM
Ok It looks like I'm here by myself so I'll move on to another thread now...:D

But I'll leave with a summary about us. It has been interesting that our team's strengths & weaknesses have been reverse of expectations. Last year's strengths with the same personnel have turned into question marks and last years weaknesses with added personnel have been amazing. I'm still hoping the new weaknesses are because of adjusting to coaching changes. One interesting point is that our offensive personnel and coaches don't seem to be on the same page and yet we have averaged 30 pts against mediocre teams the last 2 weeks (with another 14 pts from spec teams/Def). If the offense starts hitting on all cylinders then I would feel a lot more confident of being a force to be reckoned with against any FCS at any location. Until then we are vulnerable if the right team finds the right chink in our armor.

Grizo406
September 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
If we could "buy-out" a few more games, I'd have the Griz in a very solid #3 spot!

Can you buy-out of Conference games???xwhistlex

UMStudent
September 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah I do not want to go through this again with no Carpneter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtsOIS7oGag