PDA

View Full Version : CCSU Sets New NEC Home Attendance Record

aceinthehole
September 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Playing in front of a record Northeast Conference home attendance crowd of 8,322 people, Central Connecticut (2-1) defeated North Carolina Central (0-4), 35-23, to win the inaugural NAACP Harmony Classic at Veterans Memorial Stadium in New Britain's Willow Brook Park.

In its first game off campus since the 2000 season, Central Connecticut broke former NEC member Stony Brook's record home crowd of 8,136 in 2002. Both CCSU's marching band and North Carolina Central's nationally recognized Marching Sound Machine entertained the crowd at halftime and post game.

http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=1586475

danefan
September 20th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Good job CCSU.

Still kind of sad that northeast teams don't get more support. I'm confident that once Albany builds the stadium we should be able to average above 10,000. Hopefully.

aceinthehole
September 20th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Good job CCSU.

Still kind of sad that northeast teams don't get more support. I'm confident that once Albany builds the stadium we should be able to average above 10,000. Hopefully.

Thanks. CCSU went out of the box with this idea. We are considering making this a bi-annual event. We'll see how well it went from feedback and go from there.

No offense - that aint going to happen to UA. You should be much more realistic.

Look at what UNH, Maine, URI, NU, Hofstra, Holy Cross, Colagte, Lehigh, etc, etc average for a home game.

UMass and Yale are really the only Northeastern (NE, NY, NJ) I-AA team that can regulalry draw 10,000+ per game.

UAlbany (as well as CCSU), should be very happy if they can mirror what UNH and Maine draw- about 6-8k.

UNHWildCats
September 20th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Harvard averaged 12.405 last year

danefan
September 20th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks. CCSU went out of the box with this idea. We are considering making this a bi-annual event. We'll see how well it went from feedback and go from there.

No offense - that aint going to happen to UA. You should be much more realistic.

Look at what UNH, Maine, URI, NU, Hofstra, Holy Cross, Colagte, Lehigh, etc, etc average for a home game.

UMass and Yale are really the only Northeastern (NE, NY, NJ) I-AA team that can regulalry draw 10,000+ per game.

UAlbany (as well as CCSU), should be very happy if they can mirror what UNH and Maine draw- about 6-8k.

10,000 is more then doable at Albany. The Capital Region is home to more than 1 million people. There isn't another "show" anywhere near Albany. School officials believe they can average about 12,000 a game. I think more towards 10,000.

Anyway, the thread isn't about that. Its about CCSU starting a great tradition. I hope it continues.xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
September 20th, 2008, 04:38 PM
10,000 is more then doable at Albany. The Capital Region is home to more than 1 million people. There isn't another "show" anywhere near Albany. School officials believe they can average about 12,000 a game. I think more towards 10,000.

Anyway, the thread isn't about that. Its about CCSU starting a great tradition. I hope it continues.xthumbsupx

Thanks! We are doing our part and think we will be a program to deal with in the coming years. CCSU has come a long way and people are starting to take notice. Its very nice to see the program growing. I'm hoping we "sell out" (3,300) the rest of our home games on campus.

BTW - next week we are making a public announcement about the renovation of all of our outdoor athletic fields. Among the projects, we will add seating to the other side of Arute which will bring capacity up to about 7,000.

danefan
September 20th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks! We are doing our part and think we will be a program to deal with in the coming years. CCSU has come a long way and people are starting to take notice. Its very nice to see the program growing. I'm hoping we "sell out" (3,300) the rest of our home games on campus.

BTW - next week we are making a public announcement about the renovation of all of our outdoor athletic fields. Among the projects, we will add seating to the other side of Arute which will bring capacity up to about 7,000.

That should be an interesting project. Isn't the visitors side just basically a drop off?

aceinthehole
September 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM
That should be an interesting project. Isn't the visitors side just basically a drop off?

No, that's RMU you're think of.

Our soccer field is next to the vistors side. We're moving that field farther away, putting a track around it, then putting an "A frame" between the 2 fields for seating.

Hopefully, we'll see the plans next week!

danefan
September 20th, 2008, 05:03 PM
No, that's RMU you're think of.

Our soccer field is next to the vistors side. We're moving that field farther away, putting a track around it, then putting an "A frame" between the 2 fields for seating.

Hopefully, we'll see the plans next week!

That's right. You actually walk into Arute from teh top. Its the field that is below the parking lot level.

A frame's are nice. Cortland has a nice A Frame that is probably similar to what you guys will see. The pictures below make it look bigger then it actually is. The football stadium side only seats about 4,500 people.

Track/soccer side:
http://www.highlandassociates.com/img/dom/HED-SUNY-C-track.jpg

Football side:
http://www.cortland.edu/univpolice/main.jpg

dgreco
September 20th, 2008, 06:37 PM
congrats on the attendance number