PDA

View Full Version : What do you mean crowd noise? We've played at Montana!!!

dungeonjoe
September 20th, 2008, 06:36 AM
A few folks talk about the the noise Wofford will face tonight at Williams Bryce Stadium when we face USC.

My response:
You want crowd noise? We've played at Montana!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GrizRchattybound
September 20th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Go Get em boys!!!...you've been to hell and back, it was froze over, and you survived. You are ready to shock the world!

JohnStOnge
September 20th, 2008, 07:51 AM
A few folks talk about the the noise Wofford will face tonight at Williams Bryce Stadium when we face USC.

My response:
You want crowd noise? We've played at Montana!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I wish you luck and all but your team's chances of coming out of a game at South Carolina with a win are a whole lot lower than your chances of coming out of a game at Montana with a win. Also, if the crowd is into the game, my bet is it's going to be louder. Only question is whether or not the crowd's going to be into the game since most of them are probably going to go into the game kind of unenthusiastic about who the opponent is.

catamount man
September 20th, 2008, 07:53 AM
All of FCS are on Wofford's side tonight. GO GET EM TERRIERS!!!!

I saw a SUV bound for Clemson last night with 3 CU flags and one lone Wofford flag flying with it. xlolx xlolx xlolx

ASUG8
September 20th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Go Terrierists! I'm sure you have the Clemson faithful rooting for you as well! Good luck!xthumbsupx

introvertedGSUfan
September 20th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Washington-Grizzly Stadium: 23,183
Williams-Brice Stadium: 80,250

Yeah, the crowd noise is going to be much different than that game at Montana. Good luck though!

slostang
September 20th, 2008, 09:19 AM

Yeah, the crowd noise is going to be much different than that game at Montana. Good luck though!

Have you been to a game at Montana? It may be as loud at Williams-Brice Stadium, but it would be hard to be much louder. Besides is there really the difference if you are standing in front of one running 747 jet engine or two? Either way you can not hear yourself think it is so loud.

bobbythekidd
September 20th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Go Terrierists!
Go Terrieristsxlolxxlolx. I'm going to remember that one.

Good luck to the ankle biters! Make the Socon proud.

introvertedGSUfan
September 20th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Have you been to a game at Montana? It may be as loud at Williams-Brice Stadium, but it would be hard to be much louder. Besides is there really the difference if you are standing in front of one running 747 jet engine or two? Either way you can not hear yourself think it is so loud.

Have you ever been to a SEC stadium? You don't realize how important and loud football is in the south. I was at the GSU-UGA game and I've never heard such a loud atmosphere. One of the Auburn-LSU games in the 1980s (can't recall the year) was so loud after a LSU touchdown in the 4th quarter that it produced a mini-earthquake.

Col Hogan
September 20th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Crowd noise is over-rated...if a team is properly prepared and motivated, crowd noise kinda fades into the background...

It's something fans like to think makes them part of the game...

If a team is not prepared...then, yes, crowd noise can get to them...

Mind games.....

Having said that....GO GET'EM WOFFORD!!!

Grizzaholic
September 20th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Not another crowd noise thread.

JohnStOnge
September 20th, 2008, 10:29 AM

The main thing is they're going to be facing significantly more talent overall than they faced at Montana (or would face against any FCS team). As noted earlier, I think they may actually get a crowd noise break because the opponent isn't going to really excite the fans. And I think if it's closer than expected it still isn't going to be as loud as it'd be for Georgia or somebody like that because then they'll be stunned and surprised.

PantherRob82
September 20th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Not so fast my friend. Montana's sidelines are closer and the angle is different.

slostang
September 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Have you ever been to a SEC stadium?

Yes I have. I have been to the Swamp to see Florida vs Auburn. While it was impressive and loud, at some point loud is loud. I have been to Wash./Griz stadium and it is in a bowl and there is not a SEC stadium that is as close to the field and players as Wash./Griz stadium. When the visiting team is on offense in the north end of the stadium you can not think it is so loud.

JohnStOnge
September 20th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Yes I have. I have been to the Swamp to see Florida vs Auburn. While it was impressive and loud, at some point loud is loud. I have been to Wash./Griz stadium and it is in a bowl and there is not a SEC stadium that is as close to the field and players as Wash./Griz stadium. When the visiting team is on offense in the north end of the stadium you can not think it is so loud.

I've never been to Montana's stadium. But I can remember listening to an Auburn at LSU game one time where the LSU crowd got so loud at points that it drowned out the guys trying to make the radio call from inside the press box. You literally could not hear what they were saying (or yelling).

introvertedGSUfan
September 20th, 2008, 11:56 AM

GSU is in a bowl as well, but it still didn't compare to the noise I heard at Sanford. Look I'm not saying that Montana isn't loud, and I certainly have never been there or that far west for that matter. I'm just going to assume that 80,000 fans are going to produce more noise and 20,000 until we get some quantitative data about decibel level.xsmiley_wix

Green26
September 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Introverted, you don't know what you're talking about. Griz stadium is very loud, especially on the field.

Noise level on the field depends on proximity of the crowd to the field, the shape and dynamics of the stadium, how vocal the crowd is, and the number of fans yelling.

UM's sidelines are only 6 yards (and 7 yards where the players stand). The first row of seats is high enough to look over the heads of the players. UM's endzone seating is set up the same way, with the seats starting above the cross bar right behind the endline. Thus, the crowd is very close.

How far is the crowd from the field in William Brice Stadium?

The noise at Griz stadium can be deafening on the field (and much louder than in the stands). I've played in front of crowds over 60,000. I was on the sidelines at Iowa two years ago. The noise on the field at Griz stadium is louder.

introvertedGSUfan
September 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Again, I've never been there, so I'll rest my case, but Iowa != Williams-Brice. Call me ignorant or whatever your fancy, but I'm not going to be convinced that the Griz stadium is louder unless I see some actual numbers.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 20th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Again, I've never been there, so I'll rest my case, but Iowa != Williams-Brice. Call me ignorant or whatever your fancy, but I'm not going to be convinced that the Griz stadium is louder unless I see some actual numbers.

Ignorant! :p

WA-Griz is pretty damn loud... been there twice.

Gully
September 20th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Introverted, you don't know what you're talking about. Griz stadium is very loud, especially on the field.

Noise level on the field depends on proximity of the crowd to the field, the shape and dynamics of the stadium, how vocal the crowd is, and the number of fans yelling.

UM's sidelines are only 6 yards (and 7 yards where the players stand). The first row of seats is high enough to look over the heads of the players. UM's endzone seating is set up the same way, with the seats starting above the cross bar right behind the endline. Thus, the crowd is very close.

How far is the crowd from the field in William Brice Stadium?

The noise at Griz stadium can be deafening on the field (and much louder than in the stands). I've played in front of crowds over 60,000. I was on the sidelines at Iowa two years ago. The noise on the field at Griz stadium is louder.

It is very loud at Washington Griz. The thing is no matter where you're playing, if you play well and move the chains, the crowd loses some pep. After NDSU scored a TD on the fake field goal at Montana you could have heard a pin drop (in the grass). Lest you think I'm picking on Montana........when Bomar and company scored a TD late in the 4th in the Fargodome...same thing, everybody shut up. Then again, when NDSU scored on the next drive in like 40 seconds, the place exploded, even though half of the crowd had given up and left.

Chi Panther
September 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Not sure how accurate this site is....but worth noting.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_loudest_college_football_stadium

I know that Univ. of Washington and Oregon be always regarded as top stadiums when it comes to noise. Obviously LSU makes sense. Was kind of surprised by Clemson.

Another thing of note. Arrowhead Stadium for the Chiefs has been regarded as one of the toughest stadiums to play in and they only get to 120.

introvertedGSUfan
September 20th, 2008, 12:50 PM

I know that Univ. of Washington and Oregon be always regarded as top stadiums when it comes to noise. Obviously LSU makes sense. Was kind of surprised by Clemson.

Another thing of note. Arrowhead Stadium for the Chiefs has been regarded as one of the toughest stadiums to play in and they only get to 120.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1GcKVHqYu8

JohnStOnge
September 20th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I think if you really want to make an objective comparison of noise levels you'd have to set it up properly. I've never dealt with decible meters but I'm sure that just like anything else like that you'd have to make sure they are calibrated. And you'd have to decide on choosing certain points on the fields so that you'd be comparing apples and apples. Maybe something like taking measurements periodically at each corner at the backs of the endzones, four more on made up of one on each side of the field at each 20, and two more made up of one on each side at the 50.

Then you'd try to pick a game such that you expect it to be loud. Like this year for LSU you'd probably pick the Georgia game.

Chi Panther
September 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
very impressed. Clemson should play football in the SEC....xrotatehx

IndianaAppMan
September 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM

I grew up near Clemson. They're drunk. They're rednecks (at least the ones I remember). They're belligerent. And they are LOUD!

IndianaAppMan
September 20th, 2008, 01:23 PM
very impressed. Clemson should play football in the SEC....xrotatehx

No. They need to stay ACC. They annually finish 2nd or 3rd in the ACC. They'd be somewhere between 7th and 9th in the SEC. Besides, Clemson has 55 years of tradition in the ACC.

I do think they should return their series against Georgia, which is only about 70 miles from CU's campus.

Chi Panther
September 20th, 2008, 01:26 PM
No. They need to stay ACC. They annually finish 2nd or 3rd in the ACC. They'd be somewhere between 7th and 9th in the SEC. Besides, Clemson has 55 years of tradition in the ACC.

I do think they should return their series against Georgia, which is only about 70 miles from CU's campus.

I agree...just regarding fb they fit the SEC mold....where the ACC is a BBall Conference.

mtgrizfan4life
September 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I would say on volume alone an SEC stadium sounds much louder from the outside, but that is it! I have been to Colorado, Nebraska, Invesco, Qwest, CSU, Utah, WAZZU, U of W, Air Force, When I left my seats within 15 rows from the field, it sounded louder on the exteriors of these bigger venues. However, the closer you get to the field or on the field, Wash/GRIZ echoes much more and the noise just does not escape to the exterior. Based on the stadiums I have been too, Arrowhead and Nebraska may have been slilghtly louder on or near the field.

The fans location at WA/GRIZ is also very intimidating for the opposition. I would rank "field" noise in WA/GRIZ a notch or two below the Florida, and LSU. If the day ever came that WA/GRIZ could ever hit 50K in attendance, it would be in the top 5 for "field" noise. BTW, the atmosphere at WA/GRIZ blows away any of the bigger Colorado schools. However, this Thursday CU got very loud against WV.

Those who have not been to WA/GRIZ cannot comprehend how it is possible to get that loud in a smaller venue. I challenge anyone to attend a 2nd or 3rd round playoff game or GRIZ/CAT game there. Then, only then will you know what we all are telling you about.

GaSouthern
September 20th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Montana is louder than US.C. no doubt about it.

Chi Panther
September 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I don't think Folsom Field gets that loud. I was at the WVU game...Football just isn't king in Colorado. The stadium is never full at kickoff...too many out of state students that don't grow up bleeding CU.

I still need to get to Mizzoula for a gamexnodx xthumbsupx xbowx

slostang
September 20th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I am not saying Montana is LOUDER, I am saying that Montana is so loud that you can not hear yourself think. It it so loud that it effects teams that visit. They better have practice offensive hand signals and going on a silent count. Yes, some SEC stadiums might have a higher noise level, but it is loud enough to alter the game at Montana.

ASUG8
September 20th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Go Terrieristsxlolxxlolx. I'm going to remember that one.

Good luck to the ankle biters! Make the Socon proud.

Wish I was that creative - I think I borrowed that from someone last season, and I still think it's funny. Thanks for the pat on the back to a plaigerist.xthumbsupx

millwoga1
September 20th, 2008, 10:41 PM
This is a thread I thought I would never see - arguing which is louder Montana or Williams Brice. Who cares. Does it matter. Wofford doesn't seem to care

mtgrizfan4life
September 20th, 2008, 10:46 PM
This is a thread I thought I would never see - arguing which is louder Montana or Williams Brice. Who cares. Does it matter. Wofford doesn't seem to care

Montana fans are flattered. BTW we work very hard to have this reputation. xthumbsupx As a GRIZ fan it is an honor to be even compared to major conference programs.

catdaddy2402
September 20th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Having sat in the stands for this game....I would hope that Montana was louder. The Shamecock fans were pathetic for this game.

dungeonjoe
September 20th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Having sat in the stands for this game....I would hope that Montana was louder. The Shamecock fans were pathetic for this game.

I can't say much about the crowd noise but the silence was deafening after Wofford took the lead (except for the handful of Wofford fans)xthumbsupx

Purple For Life
September 21st, 2008, 07:51 AM
Why don't you ask New Hampshire about how loud it is in the UNI-Dome? xwhistlex

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 21st, 2008, 08:12 AM
Why don't you ask New Hampshire about how loud it is in the UNI-Dome? xwhistlex

IIRC the vast majority of comments on this forum were that the UNH handled the noise very effectively. Delaware managed to overcome the noise pretty well the next week as too.

And having been there and sitting just a few rows up, I felt that the crowd noise at that wild game UNH played at Delaware in 2006 was just as loud. Pretty loud during my 2004 visit to Georgia Southern even though it wasn't a full house. What put the noise over the top at the UNI Dome was the canned music that was played over the PA system. And I don't believe that can be played during actual live play on the field.

Purple For Life
September 21st, 2008, 08:19 AM
IIRC the vast majority of comments on this forum were that the UNH handled the noise very effectively. Delaware managed to overcome the noise pretty well the next week as too.

And having been there and sitting just a few rows up, I felt that the crowd noise at that wild game UNH played at Delaware in 2006 was just as loud. Pretty loud during my 2004 visit to Georgia Southern even though it wasn't a full house. What put the noise over the top at the UNI Dome was the canned music that was played over the PA system. And I don't believe that can be played during actual live play on the field.

The search feature seems to be broken, but I know a lot of UNH people at the game said it was quite loud...and as I seem to recall, there were a few offsides/encroachment penalties on UNH.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 21st, 2008, 08:44 AM
The search feature seems to be broken, but I know a lot of UNH people at the game said it was quite loud...and as I seem to recall, there were a few offsides/encroachment penalties on UNH.

It was loud, not denying that, but my point is that it really didn't have a significant bearing on the game like you're insinuating. UNH had five penalties during the game which probably was right on par for us last season. I don't recall us having any more offside/encroachment penalties than we had during the season. I know when I analyzed why UNH lost the game, the crowd noise wasn't on my radar screen.

Actually, I just looked at the box scores from last year and saw that UNH only had three regular season games with fewer penalties and only two more with the same number of penalties. In the other games UNH had six (UMass, Richmond), eight (JMU), nine (Dartmouth, Hofstra) and twelve (Rhode Island). Guess that's why my memory is of UNH playing with fewer infractions than normal out in Cedar Falls.

Anyway, back to South Carolina-Wofford and comparisons to Montana where they have documented decibel levels.