PDA

View Full Version : Branch and Graham still waiting...

colgate13
April 26th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Branch and Graham still waiting (http://www.uticaod.com/archive/2005/04/25/sports/26305.html)

"Jamaal Branch and Luke Graham were not taken in this year's NFL draft, but that didn't mean the former Colgate stars weren't busy late into Sunday night.

Agents for both Branch and Graham were negotiating with a handful of NFL teams as each sought to sign a free-agent contract. Both Graham and Branch were rated by several NFL draft services as potential pro players."

I hope something happens for them soon. They will catch on somewhere if they stick with it...

Delaware Ghostrider II
May 8th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Sorry I just saw this thread and me in my all infinte wisdom had a "IMO" to add. Though I didn't pay much attention to Dranch this year...I do know back in the 2003 season....the kid was awesome. He was the only fear I really had going into the NC game. Considering UD's rush defense that year though he didn't have much of a NC game. It has supirsed me that he wasn't drafted by someone at least like Detroit....Carolina...or shoot as bad as we need a backfield in Dolphin country.....we could used a good back up HB. Any word on whether he not he got a deal cut with anyone?

colgate13
May 9th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Nothing yet on either... It's strange. It took a while for our TE last year to catch on (he's now with NFL Europe) so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Fordham
May 9th, 2005, 09:08 AM
similar story for us with Tad Kornegay. Still waiting.

GannonFan
May 9th, 2005, 12:22 PM
I just don't think Branch has the quickness to be effective in the NFL. He was a good fit in college and at Colgate, but he's a duck out of water in the NFL. Adrian Peterson was better than Branch and quicker, but he's never going to see playing time in the NFL either (still 3rd or 4th string on the lowly Bears).

GannonFan
May 9th, 2005, 02:09 PM
AP is a special teams standout for DUH Bears though.

Aren't you being a little generous with the term "standout" then? He's certainly serviceable on special teams coverage but he's not a return guy and he's still there because he's serviceable and comes cheap.

colgate13
May 9th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I'd like Branch to get the shot but I think Graham has got some longer term potential as a 3rd down possesion receiver. 6'4" with good ups and great hands.

umassfan
May 9th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I cant see branch going anywhere because to say it plainly... hes too slow. I am suprized Luke hasnt signed somewhere though.

Anovafan
May 9th, 2005, 11:21 PM
I agree Branch is too slow and won't get picked up...Graham could make a squad if he learns to play great special teams. Our Nova alum Brian Finneran knew that the only way he was going to make a team was to become a special teams ace. He went out and became a great special teams player for the Falcons and then worked his way into the starting line-up. I like Graham's toughness, hopefully he will catch a break and get picked up for a training camp.

Mr. C
May 9th, 2005, 11:48 PM
The problem for both Graham and Branch is that they are both painfully slow for the NFL. Graham could help someone with his ability to run routes and his great hands, but the speed thing is hard for NFL teams to overlook. Branch was a workhorse in his junior year, gained a lot of yards and scored a lot of touchdowns, but he had a poor senior year by his standards and he didn't show much against the tougher teams that Colgate played.

Josh
May 10th, 2005, 07:21 AM
The problem for both Graham and Branch is that they are both painfully slow for the NFL. Graham could help someone with his ability to run routes and his great hands, but the speed thing is hard for NFL teams to overlook. Branch was a workhorse in his junior year, gained a lot of yards and scored a lot of touchdowns, but he had a poor senior year by his standards and he didn't show much against the tougher teams that Colgate played.

Your right, speed is the name of the game. I told Ralph way back that anyone who named Branch a draft grade was crazy. He was too slow and I knew when the scouts flocked up to Colgate when he started going off in 2004 were wasting a trip because speed is not there and that is what they want. I hope they both get picked up though. Branch is a good person. I enjoyed interviewing him.