PDA

View Full Version : Top private school FCS programs?

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM
This is a twist on the "top FCS programs" thread. Here are the private schools of the FCS in the playoff conferences...

CAA
Villanova
Hofstra
Richmond
Northeastern

Southland
None

SoCon
Wofford
Furman
Elon
Samford

Big Sky
None

Big South
Gardner-Webb
Charleston Southern
Liberty

MEAC
Bethune Cookman
Hampton
Howard

Patriot (all of them)
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
Georgetown
Lafayette
Lehigh

MVC
None

Great West
None

OVC
None

My rankings:
1. Furman - I don't think anyone can really dispute that
2. Villanova - not as impressive as Richmond this decade, but still has more history
3. Richmond - not much history before the 00's, but has done well this decade through 2 different coaching staffs.
4. Wofford - like Richmond in that they didn't do much before this decade, but they are definitly a good program. Only one losing season this decade, two playoff appearances, and arguably "Woofed" in 2002 & 2004.
5. Hofstra - decent record and history

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 19th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Colgate, Lehigh and Holy Cross have all been way more successful than Hofstra IMO. You could make a case for all 3 to be in the top 5

gophoenix
September 20th, 2008, 12:13 AM
First, you left off Presbyterian.

Second, Depends on what you mean by top. Furman is top 5. But I think if you are going on the history of I-AA then it is Furman, Lehigh, Colgate, Holy Cross, Villanova.

If you are going by this year. This list would be different.

If you are going by complete history, it will be even more different. And you'd have to include the Ivy Leaguers for that.

Hoyadestroya85
September 20th, 2008, 12:56 AM
what are the criteria..

th0m
September 20th, 2008, 05:03 AM
You leave out the entire Ivy League? I mean, I don't know if they should be in your top 5 (as hoyadestroya said, what are the criteria) but to not even consider/list them?

Reign of Terrier
September 20th, 2008, 06:17 AM
First, you left off Presbyterian.

Second, Depends on what you mean by top. Furman is top 5. But I think if you are going on the history of I-AA then it is Furman, Lehigh, Colgate, Holy Cross, Villanova.

If you are going by this year. This list would be different.

If you are going by complete history, it will be even more different. And you'd have to include the Ivy Leaguers for that.

Furman is definately #1 because A)They're the most winning Socon school (I'm pretty sure)
B)They were the first private school to win the championship. (I'm pretty sure again)
Correct me if I'm wrong. I still can't believe I'm defending Furman, but they're still Socon (We all stick together unless we're playing each other)

PC hasn't been in FCS but what 2 years?

Reign of Terrier
September 20th, 2008, 06:23 AM
[QUOTE=FCS_pwns_FBS;1112020]
4. Wofford - like Richmond in that they didn't do much before this decade, but they are definitly a good program. Only one losing season this decade, two playoff appearances, and arguably "Woofed" in 2002 & 2004.

Wofford's been FCS for less than a 2 decades so you're 100% correct:D . The amount of success we've created in so little time is amazing.

UAalum72
September 20th, 2008, 06:42 AM
You leave out the entire Ivy League? I mean, I don't know if they should be in your top 5 (as hoyadestroya said, what are the criteria) but to not even consider/list them?
He said 'in the playoff conferences' , so also no need to rank the Pioneer and NEC, though he did include the Big South.

blueballs
September 20th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Furman is the only private school to have won the 1-AA/FCS title so the list starts there. They are head and shoulders above any of the other private schools. In fact, Furman has appeared in the championship game three times- splitting with GSU (L85, W88) and losing to Montana (01).

Pard94
September 20th, 2008, 08:19 AM
This is a twist on the "top FCS programs" thread. Here are the private schools of the FCS in the playoff conferences...

CAA
Villanova
Hofstra
Richmond
Northeastern

Southland
None

SoCon
Wofford
Furman
Elon
Samford

Big Sky
None

Big South
Gardner-Webb
Charleston Southern
Liberty

MEAC
Bethune Cookman
Hampton
Howard

Patriot (all of them)
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
Georgetown
Lafayette
Lehigh

MVC
None

Great West
None

OVC
None

My rankings:
1. Furman - I don't think anyone can really dispute that
2. Villanova - not as impressive as Richmond this decade, but still has more history
3. Richmond - not much history before the 00's, but has done well this decade through 2 different coaching staffs.
5. Hofstra - decent record and history

If you count history and tradition, which you seem to be doing, then your list is way off in my humble opinion. Do a little research...you neglect to mention the Ivies...just a little tradition and success there. And none of the Patriot teams make your top five. The Patriot League boasts of teams with Bowl appearances and National Championships, the inventor of the football helmet and huddle (the huddle is up for debate), The Seven Blocks of Granite which included a guy by the name of Vince Lombardi and one of the most successful I-AA programs in the history of the sport (Holy Cross - the Duffner years). Your number two team dropped football altogether for a number of years. Perhaps you should qualify your list as the "Best Private Schools in FCS That I Can Come Up With Without Actually Doing Any Research Whatsoever".

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 20th, 2008, 08:26 AM
If you count history and tradition, which you seem to be doing, then your list is way off in my humble opinion. Do a little research...you neglect to mention the Ivies...just a little tradition and success there. And none of the Patriot teams make your top five. The Patriot League boasts of teams with Bowl appearances and National Championships, the inventor of the football helmet and huddle (the huddle is up for debate), The Seven Blocks of Granite which included a guy by the name of Vince Lombardi and one of the most successful I-AA programs in the history of the sport (Holy Cross - the Duffner years). Your number two team dropped football altogether for a number of years. Perhaps you should qualify your list as the "Best Private Schools in FCS That I Can Come Up With Without Actually Doing Any Research Whatsoever".

I'm going by the same criteria as the other thread about the top FCS programs. WE are going by what teams have done in the history of this division.

ngineer
September 20th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Furman is the only private school to have won the 1-AA/FCS title so the list starts there. They are head and shoulders above any of the other private schools. In fact, Furman has appeared in the championship game three times- splitting with GSU (L85, W88) and losing to Montana (01).

Yes, in term of an historical program it begins with Furman. I also agree over the past 30 years of I-AA/FCS you have to include Lehigh and Colgate in the top 5. Lehigh ranks fourth among ALL FCS schools in winning percentage in the last ten years together with 7 playoff appearances (5 in the last 10 years). Colgate has also been a force historically. But I would agree that Furman has been the most successful on a consistent basis and within one of the two toughest conferences in the country.

furman94
September 20th, 2008, 08:39 AM
1) FURMAN UNIVERSITY

2)...
3)...
4)everyone else
5)...
6)
7)
8)
9)
:D

TheValleyRaider
September 20th, 2008, 09:54 AM
You did neglect to include Holy Cross on your original list. Their teams in the late 80s and early 90s were some real barnburners xnodx

An interesting discussion topic, to be sure xnodx