PDA

View Full Version : CSN Way: Where have all the Great Games Gone? (and Week 4 Picks)

CSN-info
September 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-where-have-all-the-great-gam&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

By Chuck Burton, CSN Way Columnist

Hurricane Ike’s devastation robbed FCS Nation of a great potential matchup of Top 25 teams with Cal Poly and McNeese State. But that only left two great league matchups in the early going between nationally-ranked teams this past week: UMass at James Madison in the CAA, and Western Illinois at South Dakota State in the Missouri Valley Football conference.

And both ended up not living up to billing. James Madison rode quarterback Rodney Landers’ feet to victory and never trailed in a 52-38 humbling of UMass, while South Dakota State jumped to a 24-0 lead and barely held on to survive a late Leatherneck rally to win 24-22.

Dare I say that last weekend was boring?
xthumbsupx

Game of the Week
#1 Appalachian State at #5 James Madison.
It’s the marquee matchup that has anything a FCS fan could ever want, and one that’s made Virginians talk about nothing else this week.

floatedleftIt’s got a clash of offensive styles: Appalachian State brings the 21st-century spread offense that the Mountaineers are know for to Bridgeforth stadium. Led by quarterback Armanti Edwards, the spread uses speed, speed and more speed to put points on the board like a pinball machine.

James Madison, on the other hand, does it the old-fashioned way: ball control, a huge offensive line and a lot less fancy running. Quarterback Rodney Landers showed how devastating it could be last week against what was considered to be James Madison’s biggest challenge in the CAA: he took off for 200 yards in a 52-38 drubbing of the Minutemen.
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
September 19th, 2008, 10:48 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-where-have-all-the-great-gam&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

xthumbsupx

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Great rundown of the JMU-ASU game. Gonna make the drive up tonight even longer!!

ElonPride
September 19th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Does he really think this will be a blowout?

"#17 Elon at #16 Georgia Southern. Is it my imagination, or is this week chock-full of awesome matchups? The Phoenix – who scored 55 first-half points against Presbyterian in a 66-12 burning – face off against miracle quarterback Antonio Henton and the Eagles, who came from behind to beat Northeastern 34-27 in overtime. But the Eagles will have to stop the powerful Elon tandem of quarterback Scott Riddle (already with 840 yards passing and 7 touchdowns on the year) and wideout Terrell Hudgins (who caught 296 of those passes and 2 touchdowns). At Paulson Stadium, the key for Elon will be to stomp on the Eagles’ neck and to not give any chance for “Six Flags Magic” to make something happen. Against a “rebuilding” Eagles team, that’s just what they do.
Elon-gate the field 47, Eaglets 19."

danefan
September 19th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I love this:

Greater and Greater Danes 23.

Even though he's predicting a loss. Better then the "Scooby Do's" that we used to get!

gsugt1
September 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Does he really think this will be a blowout?

"#17 Elon at #16 Georgia Southern. Is it my imagination, or is this week chock-full of awesome matchups? The Phoenix – who scored 55 first-half points against Presbyterian in a 66-12 burning – face off against miracle quarterback Antonio Henton and the Eagles, who came from behind to beat Northeastern 34-27 in overtime. But the Eagles will have to stop the powerful Elon tandem of quarterback Scott Riddle (already with 840 yards passing and 7 touchdowns on the year) and wideout Terrell Hudgins (who caught 296 of those passes and 2 touchdowns). At Paulson Stadium, the key for Elon will be to stomp on the Eagles’ neck and to not give any chance for “Six Flags Magic” to make something happen. Against a “rebuilding” Eagles team, that’s just what they do.

What is he smoking ? This game is going to be a shootout. The team with the ball last might win.

Nebuta
September 19th, 2008, 11:35 AM
#6 Delaware at #24 Furman. So who’s for real here? Quarterback Rob Schoenhoft and the Blue Hens, who barely lost to FBS Maryland and throttled D-II West Chester last week? Or the Paladins, who lost to FBS Virginia Tech but drilled D-II Mars Hill and Colgate with the 1-2 punch of quarterback Jordan Sorrells and runningback Mike Brown? I think the Blue Hens are going to have their hands full with Furman on the road, especially without the running game that runningback Omar Cuff provided for so many years before graduation. Delaware will need their defense to carry them in this game to win – but they fall short.
Purple Haze 41, Blue Moons 13.

41 pts on UD defense??? xeyebrowx Say no to drugs kids..

Someone has been drinking the purple kool-aid. xlolx

DetroitFlyer
September 19th, 2008, 11:36 AM
"Robert Morris at Dayton. The question: Is Dayton, with a defense and special teams anchored by defensive end Scott Vossler, for real? They’ll face another test in visiting Robert Morris – whose special teams did them in last week in a 17-14 defeat to Bucknell. Yes, Virginia, let the discussion begin: Dayton, indeed, is for real.
Vossler’s Vornados 16, Joe Walton’s Colonials 9."

Gotta give credit where credit is due! Especially like the nickname you chose for the Flyers!xthumbsupx

AggieFinn
September 19th, 2008, 11:43 AM
UC Davis at #4 Montana. The Grizzlies continue their tour around the Great West with their third straight opponent from that conference, the UC Davis Aggies. After beating Cal Poly 30-28 and Southern Utah 46-10, Montana looks stacked, even if quarterback Cole Bergquist has failed to dazzle. Davis looked real good dispatching of Portland State last week, exploding for 38 points of offense: runningback Joe Trombetta notched 156 yards and 2 touchdowns in that game. The Aggies will be a tough out for Montana, but I think this is a game where Bergquist’s experience might be the difference. Another close, but hard-fought, win for the Griz as they head to 3-0.

Griz, Great West Champions 20, Davis, The Best 1-3 FCS Team in America 16

I think I've heard that neither Bergquist or Trombetta will be playing Saturday.

Grizzaholic
September 19th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I think I"ve heard that neither Bergquist or Trombetta will be playing Saturday.

Berquist might play the first few series but I would expect to see Selle in for most of the game.

ElonPride
September 19th, 2008, 11:50 AM
What is he smoking ? This game is going to be a shootout. The team with the ball last might win.

Seriously, I looked at that and just shook my head!!xlolx

I know that I said I would be disappointed if Elon won by less than 2 TDs, but I was not predicting a blowout!!!

appfan2008
September 19th, 2008, 12:02 PM
great article and even better recap from last week...

but i cant say i agree with his game of the week prediction!

Nebuta
September 19th, 2008, 12:02 PM

Wow. 28 win point for Elon?

5 words for Chuck Burton "Step away from the pipe"

Oldhen
September 19th, 2008, 12:03 PM
41 pts on UD defense??? Say no to drugs kids..

Gotta say that shocked me.

I can actually see Furman holding UD to 13 points. In fact, unless our O loosens up and starts getting aggressive, that's not far off from what I would expect.

.... but this puts our D down (literally) with Mars Hill and Colgate. Meaning no disrespect to them, but I think we're probably somewhat better.

...man, I hope somebody emails this to KC for the locker room.

Ronbo
September 19th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Interesting week for the Griz. We'll get a little better idea how we stack up. We beat SUU with our backup QB and backup RB's 46-10. I wonder how bad NAU will beat them. NAU is picked 2nd or 3rd best team in the Conference by most. Davis has been very very competitive in their 3 games. They lost only 13-10 to San Jose State. San Jose State beat San Diego State 35-10 and stayed with Nebraska and was only down 14-12 in the 4th quarter before falling 35-12 on some late Cornhusker scoring. So that San Jose State game was a tough test. So Davis will be a good test of where we are at.

By the way it looks like Bergquist and Schmidt will still be out this week so we'll need to do it with backups.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 19th, 2008, 02:26 PM
#9 UMass at Texas Tech (FBS). As good as UMass quarterback Liam Coen will do against this defense, the pass-happy Red Raiders – the #11 ranked team in the nation in FBS – will test the Minutemen’s great secondary. Coen and UMass won’t be intimidated – but they won’t win, either.
Red Raiders – 300 yards rushing on 60 carries? 34, Coen – 49-for-59 passing? 19.

Which brings me to my next point, kids. Don't...... do....... crack!

No offense to UMass, but their secondary is going to get torched through the air. Tech will run on them, but not 60 times. They'll go to the air at least 50 times, and the score will be closer to 55-17.

Skjellyfetti
September 19th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Well, he's picked us to lose 5 of our last 6 games. xnonono2x

Only one he got right was LSU.

ericsaid
September 19th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Don't really agree with the App prediction. Armanti ended up with 250 yards of total offense having the ball for 19 minutes last year and still managed to outscore JMU. If JMU can't keep the ball away from App's offense, i'd say good luck to JMU with the rest of their season.

And it refers to JMU being a hostile place to play. LSU three weeks ago. 90,000 versus 16,000. Shouldn't be a problem. If JMU can hold the ball i'll say it's a toss up. If the time of possession is remotely close(JMU +5:00), then App wins by two scores.