PDA

View Full Version : Drive to What in San Marcos?

Sly Fox
September 18th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I apologize in advance if this has already been brought up on here. But as part of my evacuation from Ike (will we ever get the lights back on?) I was driving through San Marcos today and saw several of these signs ...

http://www.postimage.org/aV1OyDC9.jpg

http://www.postimage.org/Pq1PKFai.jpg

The powers that be at Texas State do recognize there is a moratorium, right?

I find it interesting that they are using that carrot at a time when they are still looking to rebound from their FCS fall from grace.

Do you think other FCS schools will openly flaunt their FBS intentions in order to raise funds like Texas State?

MaximumBobcat
September 18th, 2008, 11:32 PM

I find it interesting that they are using that carrot at a time when they are still looking to rebound from their FCS fall from grace.

Do you think other FCS schools will openly flaunt their FBS intentions in order to raise funds like Texas State?

xrolleyesx @ your first question.

Anyways, the moratorium is good because it allows us time to improve our facilities and raise more money for the move. Also, once the moratorium is over, I personally am hoping for at least a mini-major conference shake up that will allow TxSt to get a place in the Sunbelt, C-USA, or a new Southwestern Conference.

http://www.athletics.txstate.edu/thedrive/

Sly Fox
September 18th, 2008, 11:36 PM
My alma mater is in a similar situation so my questions are honest (outside of the sarcastic tone in the first that you quickly pointed out).

DSUrocks07
September 18th, 2008, 11:37 PM
xrolleyesx @ your first question.

Anyways, the moratorium is good because it allows us time to improve our facilities and raise more money for the move. Also, once the moratorium is over, I personally am hoping for at least a mini-major conference shake up that will allow TxSt to get a place in the Sunbelt, C-USA, or a new Southwestern Conference.

http://www.athletics.txstate.edu/thedrive/

Good....don't let the door hit you...xrolleyesx

xcoffeex

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2008, 07:07 AM
We've had several threads -- smack and otherwise -- over the "Drive". The funny thing is, there is a Southland rule that starts a clock for being kicked out when you announce your intentions to go to FBS, which is arguably what our friends in San Marcos have done.

The question is whether the SLC will hold true to their own by-laws. Probably not, but the Bobcats have made it very clear that they have intentions on leaving the SLC very soon...

Only choice for conference right now is WAC. Sun Belt will not take them in at this current juncture unless raided by C-USA and even then, there's some question about taking in a program like that. C-USA won't take them in unless they are in a package with UTSA, more than likely.

appfan2008
September 19th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I never have and probably never will understand the point or the drive to move up to such a low level fbs conference... studies have shown that the school will actually lose money so I really just dont get it...

IndianaAppMan
September 19th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I apologize in advance if this has already been brought up on here. But as part of my evacuation from Ike (will we ever get the lights back on?) I was driving through San Marcos today and saw several of these signs ...

http://www.postimage.org/aV1OyDC9.jpg

http://www.postimage.org/Pq1PKFai.jpg

Here we go again with more TSU-to-FBS talk...

I hope you and all the AGSers in Texas are doing all right in the wake of Ike.

IndianaAppMan
September 19th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I never have and probably never will understand the point or the drive to move up to such a low level fbs conference... studies have shown that the school will actually lose money so I really just dont get it...

Everyone thinks they're the next South Florida--and not the next Buffalo, FIU, La.-Lafayette, North Texas, UAB, etc etc.

Having said that, I can understand why some programs like Ga. Southern and App State should at least analyze the pros and cons. They don't completely shut the idea of going FBS out for all of eternity. They're open-minded. I just think those schools are wise to be more cautious. They want to appreciate just how great they have it right here, right now.

Put simply, moving to FBS is an extremely high risk to the budget and to the likelihood of strong seasons (i.e., winning two-thirds of the games). Sure, the sky's the limit (see USF & Boise State), but you can't have that kind of attitude if your gambling with millions of alumni dollars.

chrisattsu
September 19th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Everyone thinks they're the next South Florida--and not the next Buffalo, FIU, La.-Lafayette, North Texas, UAB, etc etc.

Having said that, I can understand why some programs like Ga. Southern and App State should at least analyze the pros and cons. They don't completely shut the idea of going FBS out for all of eternity. They're open-minded. I just think those schools are wise to be more cautious. They want to appreciate just how great they have it right here, right now.

Put simply, moving to FBS is an extremely high risk to the budget and to the likelihood of strong seasons (i.e., winning two-thirds of the games). Sure, the sky's the limit (see USF & Boise State), but you can't have that kind of attitude if your gambling with millions of alumni dollars.

See... That's the difference. They aren't gambling with alumni dollars, they are gambling with Student dollars. Our alumni continue to be mostly apathetic while the Students are in incremental process towards a $20 per Credit hour athletic fee.

Also, I have heard some logic (all be it flawed) that we are less than successful at this level, so we don't have the "how great they have it right here, right now."

IndianaAppMan
September 19th, 2008, 10:20 AM
See... That's the difference. They aren't gambling with alumni dollars, they are gambling with Student dollars. Our alumni continue to be mostly apathetic while the Students are in incremental process towards a $20 per Credit hour athletic fee.

Also, I have heard some logic (all be it flawed) that we are less than successful at this level, so we don't have the "how great they have it right here, right now."

So if you don't have it great now (roughly 4-7 or 5-6 seasons), what makes you think you'll be better than North Texas, who gave up 79 points to Oklahoma last year. If you're mediocre now, why would you aspire to be a doormat against stiffer competition?

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Texas State-San Marcos is already in a 'class of their own' as far as budgets go in the Southland and have yet to consistently registered themselves as a conference power in any of the major sports -- basketball, baseball and especially football...

Even with more money being thrown their way by the students, who forced the issue (as they apparently have more power than the admins), they are still coming up short...

Retro
September 19th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Another obstacle Texas State will have is fan support.. They only drew well during their playoff run and haven't maintained that.. They're not going to suddenly pack 25,000 people in, even if they had the capacity because San-marcos is not Tampa (USF) nor Boise State (who owns Idaho) nor will they take much from austin (Texas) or san antonio (Tourist trap) outside of die-hard alumni...

I could certainly understand a team like App state, Delaware or Montana moving up because they have a consistent winning program, great fans and resources in place to compete.. Here at Mcneese once our fieldhouse is done, we'd be a better choice to move up and be competitive because of fan support and logistics (no major fb college within 2 hours)