View Full Version : Alabama A&M, or "What do you do with 9-2?"

Lehigh Football Nation
October 31st, 2005, 06:54 AM
Alabama A&M has such a bad GPI. However.... they *could* finish the season 9-2, not be in the SWAC championship, and have whispers about the playoffs. The killer in their SWAC title hopes was a loss to 1-6 Texas Southern. However, they did beat ranked Alabama St. last week, and if Alabama St. wins out they may be ranked again come playoff time.

The larger question becomes again: If it comes down to a 9-2 MEAC or SWAC team versus a 7-4 App St., Georgia Southern, Portland St., Gateway or A-10 team, what does the committee do? What about an 8-3 Colgate or Lafayette team that beat UMass and Richmond respectively? What about an 8-3 Cal Poly team?

Having said that, I think teams that are 8 D-I wins from the "power conferences" are in the playoffs. My question is: Will there be enough of them?

Now it's not just South Carolina St., but IMO Alabama A&M as well, in this playoff mix.

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 07:17 AM
Alabama A&M has such a bad GPI. However.... they *could* finish the season 9-2, not be in the SWAC championship, and have whispers about the playoffs. The killer in their SWAC title hopes was a loss to 1-6 Texas Southern. However, they did beat ranked Alabama St. last week, and if Alabama St. wins out they may be ranked again come playoff time.

The larger question becomes again: If it comes down to a 9-2 MEAC or SWAC team versus a 7-4 App St., Georgia Southern, Portland St., Gateway or A-10 team, what does the committee do? What about an 8-3 Colgate or Lafayette team that beat UMass and Richmond respectively? What about an 8-3 Cal Poly team?

Having said that, I think teams that are 8 D-I wins from the "power conferences" are in the playoffs. My question is: Will there be enough of them?

Now it's not just South Carolina St., but IMO Alabama A&M as well, in this playoff mix.

out of the teams u mentioned i would take a 7-4 app st or ga southern, power conference teams more "tested" and more capable of competiting IMHO

Cocky
October 31st, 2005, 07:37 AM

GPI has nothing to do with the quality of a football team.

TexasTerror
October 31st, 2005, 07:48 AM
Alabama A&M lost 44-0 to Grambling, a team that is probably up there and could compete with half, if not more of the teams in the I-AA playoffs...and the aforementioned loss to Texas Southern, one of the worst teams in the country, there ya go...

That answers your question..

ASU Kep
October 31st, 2005, 07:49 AM
From what I've heard, the GPI is the major ranking that the selection committee uses. Very good for a 7-4 App State or GSU (not that either or us will be 7-4. GSU WILL BEAT FURMAN) but not so good for teams from easier conferences. IMO, the selection committee is going to take a strong 7-4 this year to demonstrate the benefits of playing a tough schedule under the new rules. If they planned on sticking with the status quo, why would they change the rules anyway? Does anybody else think this might be the case, especially if *hypothetically* ASU or GSU end up with four losses (in our case, two to strong I-A's, one to the #1 I-AA, and another *fluke, unlikely, not-gonna-happen* loss to a decent in-state rival such as WCU?

Cocky
October 31st, 2005, 08:02 AM
ASU might get in at 4 losses but GSU will not get in with 4. GSU doesn't have any quality wins. ASU has GSU and CCU plus 2 I-A losses (assuming LSU beats ASU). GSU will have a tough time getting in even with a win over FU.

GannonFan
October 31st, 2005, 08:02 AM
You still have to play somebody - their best OOC game is Tennessee St, who is currently middling near the bottom of the weak Ohio Valley Conference (1 bid conference there). They also played somebody called Allen - not an imposing schedule. There are a host of teams with worse records but have played OOC much tougher that will get the nod over A&M.

Coastal89
October 31st, 2005, 09:17 AM
They also played somebody called Allen -
Allen is an NAIA school from Columbia, SC.

blueballs
October 31st, 2005, 09:34 AM
GSU will have a tough time getting in even with a win over FU.

If GSU defeats FU and finishes 8-3 with 7 wins in their last 8 games, losing only @ASU, which should be in the top 5, and having a signature win over the #1 ranked team, there is absolutely NO WAY GSU will be left out and in fact may even host the first round.

Guaranteed and I'll bet anything you want on it...

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 09:37 AM
If GSU defeats FU and finishes 8-3 with 7 wins in their last 8 games, losing only @ASU, which should be in the top 5, and having a signature win over the #1 ranked team, there is absolutely NO WAY GSU will be left out and in fact may even host the first round.

Guaranteed and I'll bet anything you want on it...

If GSU wins, the SoCon will get 3 teams, period! Don't know where they will go or how they will be seeded, but I imagine that the SoCon champion would be a seed

Eaglegus2
October 31st, 2005, 09:47 AM
If GSU wins, the SoCon will get 3 teams, period! Don't know where they will go or how they will be seeded, but I imagine that the SoCon champion would be a seed

Have to agree with you on this.

You guys get a home game. I would even venture to say should GSU win their remaining 2 games. There is a possibility for at least the 1st round will be at Paulson. Remember the bidding process comes into play.

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 10:08 AM
Have to agree with you on this.

You guys get a home game. I would even venture to say should GSU win their remaining 2 games. There is a possibility for at least the 1st round will be at Paulson. Remember the bidding process comes into play.

If GSU wins and all 3 teams make the playoffs, it wouldn't surprise me if all 3 had 1st round home games

Catmendue2
October 31st, 2005, 10:18 AM
Alabama A&M lost 44-0 to Grambling, a team that is probably up there and could compete with half, if not more of the teams in the I-AA playoffs...and the aforementioned loss to Texas Southern, one of the worst teams in the country, there ya go...

That answers your question..

Grambling is as you said, but, Grambling rankings don't show it, why? I can guarantee you that, AAMU desire is to be in Gramblingham, Al, on 12-10-05. Now, if you really want to be fair, :cool: move some of those 4-3 teams out of the top 25 and SCSU would rightly earn it spot in the playoffs. CCU beat JMU(that has a losing record in their own conference)a team that's in the top 25 ahead of SCSU, how can that be. SCSU has only loss to rated teams. CCU beating JMU was viewed as big thing, but beating SCSU was viewed as a death notice to SCSU as for the playoffs. Losing to Hampton the third rated team in the country was even worst, how? SCSU is a legitimate top 10 team and belongs in the playoffs. Anything less is a travesty and will utimately show that the 1-AA palyoff selection process needs to be changed. This system guarantees to many slots to the A-10 and other socalled elite conference and it needs to end. :mad:

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 11:05 AM
Grambling is as you said, but, Grambling rankings don't show it, why? I can guarantee you that, AAMU desire is to be in Gramblingham, Al, on 12-10-05. Now, if you really want to be fair, :cool: move some of those 4-3 teams out of the top 25 and SCSU would rightly earn it spot in the playoffs. CCU beat JMU(that has a losing record in their own conference)a team that's in the top 25 ahead of SCSU, how can that be. SCSU has only loss to rated teams. CCU beating JMU was viewed as big thing, but beating SCSU was viewed as a death notice to SCSU as for the playoffs. Losing to Hampton the third rated team in the country was even worst, how? SCSU is a legitimate top 10 team and belongs in the playoffs. Anything less is a travesty and will utimately show that the 1-AA palyoff selection process needs to be changed. This system guarantees to many slots to the A-10 and other socalled elite conference and it needs to end. :mad:

SCSU has lost to the only 2 decent teams they have played and haven't beaten anyone else worth mentioning, how is that deserving of anything?

Catmendue2
October 31st, 2005, 11:51 AM
:confused:
SCSU has lost to the only 2 decent teams they have played and haven't beaten anyone else worth mentioning, how is that deserving of anything?

Thats your opinion they have also beaten some very good teams too. Somebody have you A-10 folks fooled. You are a conference with about four good teams too. JMU got beaten by every decent team they played, they are still in the top twenty. :confused:

You SOCON folks being fooled too.

GSUISBACK
October 31st, 2005, 12:07 PM
Please even SCST fans will tell you they are not a top ten team. Name a good team SCSU has beaten?

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 12:10 PM
:confused:

Thats your opinion they have also beaten some very good teams too. Somebody have you A-10 folks fooled. You are a conference with about four good teams too. JMU got beaten by every decent team they played, they are still in the top twenty. :confused:

You SOCON folks being fooled too.

get your eyes checked, my team whalloped a team you lost to, so don't tell me about being fooled

what good teams have they beaten? please amuse me

Catmendue2
October 31st, 2005, 12:13 PM
Please even SCST fans will tell you they are not a top ten team. Name a good team SCSU has beaten?

Find a SCSU fan to say that, and BamaST is a decent team.

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 12:16 PM
Find a SCSU fan to say that, and BamaST is a decent team.

Bama St hasn't played anyone, i'll reserve that judgement til this weekend

if/when they get waxed by grambling, then you have no argument

Catmendue2
October 31st, 2005, 12:18 PM
get your eyes checked, my team whalloped a team you lost to, so don't tell me about being fooled

what good teams have they beaten? please amuse me

I'm A Grambling Tiger and I don't think you(ASU) would come within twenty point of Grambling, not this year. But now, just like you that's my opinion.

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 12:23 PM
I'm A Grambling Tiger and I don't think you(ASU) would come within twenty point of Grambling, not this year. But now, just like you that my opinion.

are you serious? have you seen any games this year? read any posts on here?

Catmendue2
October 31st, 2005, 12:31 PM
are you serious? have you seen any games this year? read any posts on here?

Yes. The only person I see that's impressed is you. :rolleyes:

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 12:35 PM
Yes. The only person I see that's impressed is you. :rolleyes:

obviously not: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4788

Catmendue2
October 31st, 2005, 01:17 PM
obviously not: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4788

There is not one 5-3 and 6-3 team in 1-AA worthy of being in the top 25, just my honest opinion.

AppGuy04
October 31st, 2005, 01:19 PM
There is not one 5-3 and 6-3 team in 1-AA worthy of being in the top 25, just my honest opinion.

what? thats not the point of contention?

GSUISBACK
October 31st, 2005, 10:31 PM
When was the last time Grambling beat anyone in the top 25?

Catmendue2
October 31st, 2005, 11:10 PM

When you sign a contract we will find out. ;)

GSUISBACK
October 31st, 2005, 11:49 PM
Cat
Word on the street is were looking to get a game at Ga dome.

Mr. C
November 1st, 2005, 12:53 AM
When you sign a contract we will find out. ;)
App State has always had a reputation of playing anyone anywhere. I'm sure the Mountaineers would leap at a chance to play Grambling home and home. It would be a great draw. But Grambling probably wouldn't touch a series like that with a 1,000-mile-long pole. Hey Cat, App State is even willing to take on LSU.

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 01:14 AM
2001 against Portland State. A team that was was ranked in the top 15 when we played them.

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 01:17 AM
App State has always had a reputation of playing anyone anywhere. I'm sure the Mountaineers would leap at a chance to play Grambling home and home. It would be a great draw. But Grambling probably wouldn't touch a series like that with a 1,000-mile-long pole. Hey Cat, App State is even willing to take on LSU.

You are right. Grambling would not touch a series like this because there is no benefit for us to play you home and home. We would be a draw for your program, but you would not be a draw for us.

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 01:19 AM
I believe Southern was a top 25 team when we beat them last year also.

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 01:36 AM
ASU needs help at home for sure:

GSU at home this year:
Sep 10, 2005 ALABAMA A&M 12195
Oct 8, 2005 MISS. VALLEY STATE 9543
Oct 29, 2005 TEXAS SOUTHERN 22032 (homecoming)

ASU at home this year:
Sep 17, 2005 Coastal Carolina 23267
Oct 15, 2005 Georgia Southern 21486
Oct 29, 2005 Chattanooga 22338 (Homecoming)

Ralph,

Reading is fundamental...

I said there would be no benefit for us if we were to play them in Grambling. You simply proved my point.

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 01:39 AM
I know what you meant. You also said you would benefit them.

Yes, I did say that we would benefit them....so what is your point?

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 01:47 AM
The point is poking you, they don't need help, you do.
How do we need help Ralph? The man asked about the possibilty in playing Grambling in a home and home. I simply told him that it would NOT happen because they would benefit more from a home and home series than we would. I was giving a honest response, but for some reason you think I am trying to be funny.

But I guess thats that way it is on culturally biased boards like this one. :rolleyes:

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 01:57 AM
Reading is fundamental sir. "culturally biased" is your new code word so if you don't like reasoned responses then call them "culturally biased." GSU has little home attendence yet you say that ASU would not be good enough for your fans. Then you say you would benefit ASU who has packed houses every game at home. 'Splain that.

culturally biased

Dude, what is there to "splain"? You just did if for me. What the hell is your point? I am in agreement with you. What more do you want me to say?

If ASU were to play us in Grambling the game wouldn't draw jack. Why are you so dayum upset?

Stop being so "culturall biased"

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 02:09 AM
Quit calling me a BIGOT when I am being quite civil and logical. You did not agree with me, you disputed what I clearly laid out. Thanks for the conversation. :bang: :bang:

What did I dispute??? Who called you a bigot???

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 02:15 AM
Hey Same Old, I was just showing that you guys need help with home attendance and ASU doesn't. I thought your point was off base. I know your school doesn't respect playing teams like ASU (cultural bias?) and maybe the fans wouldn't show, but if they get the idea they are going to see some good football they normally don't get to see at home it might work. Plus ASU might help with your attendence. That's all.

To be quite honest with you, we don't need help with our attendance. You have to know the history and make up of the program to understand why those numbers are the way they are.

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 02:19 AM
You said that they would benefit more from a home and home series than GSU would. Biased means bigoted in my book. :bang:

Please stop man. At some point you and I need to have a one on one. My use of the term "cultural bias" is not in any way related to you being a bigot. If that were the case I would not be here.

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 02:21 AM
2004 then:
-----------------------------------------------
Sep 04 *ALCORN STATE........... 23-34 L 18581
Oct 16 *ARK.-PINE BLUFF........ 22-41 L 15585
Oct 23 JACKSON STATE.......... 23-32 L 15085
Nov 06 *ALABAMA STATE.......... 23-37 L 17401

Nice numbers but not in the 20ks

Well, when you have a stadium that has an official capacity of 19,600. You are not going to see many 20Ks.

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 02:24 AM
I quit.

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 08:01 AM
You are right. Grambling would not touch a series like this because there is no benefit for us to play you home and home. We would be a draw for your program, but you would not be a draw for us.

then thats a sign of football fans that don't pay attention to the game, they go for the band, hahahahahaha

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 08:03 AM
Yeah but ASU is listed at 16.5K. Not saying, just saying.

yeah, 16,500, but we are avergaing almost 21,000 i think

so obviously stadium capacity isn't an issue

McNeese75
November 1st, 2005, 09:50 AM
Ya'll are beating your head against the wall on this one. SWAC teams are generally not interested in playing anyone but other SWAC schools. That is where their rivalries are and their perception of what a national powerhouse football team is gets confined to their league play and very limited OOC games (which are limited due to their mandatory 9 league game rule). In addition, a good game or a good rivalry is determined strictly by the numbers and $$ they generate in the classic games. The "Bayou Classic" to be played in Houston this year will be touted as one of the great games of the year by their sponsors and it will be a joke due to how the SU team is doing this year but both teams will make lots of money.

Having watched McNeese play Grambling in 2003 I would imagine their team this year is pretty good with the return of Bruce Eugene and could probably put up some points through the air on a lot of teams that do not have the necessary defense to stop the passing game. Could they beat any of the other top 25 teams? Possibly, but I doubt many of them. Any team with a good ball control offense and a strong defense would spell trouble for the Tigers.

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 09:52 AM
Ya'll are beating your head against the wall on this one. SWAC teams are generally not interested in playing anyone but other SWAC schools. That is where their rivalries are and their perception of what a national powerhouse football team is gets confined to their league play and very limited OOC games (which are limited due to their mandatory 9 league game rule). In addition, a good game or a good rivalry is determined strictly by the numbers and $$ they generate in the classic games. The "Bayou Classic" to be played in Houston this year will be touted as one of the great games of the year by their sponsors and it will be a joke due to how the SU team is doing this year but both teams will make lots of money.

Having watched McNeese play Grambling in 2003 I would imagine their team this year is pretty good with the return of Bruce Eugene and could probably put up some points through the air on a lot of teams that do not have the necessary defense to stop the passing game. Could they beat any of the other top 25 teams? Possibly, but I doubt many of them. Any team with a good ball control offense and a strong defense would spell trouble for the Tigers.

then why b1tch when we give them no respect?

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 10:29 AM
then thats a sign of football fans that don't pay attention to the game, they go for the band, hahahahahaha

This statement is not culturally biased...its just a cultural insult. But I am not surprised. Carry on.

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 10:31 AM
This statement is not culturally biased...its just a cultural insult. But I am not surprised. Carry on.

are you kidding me, they have made freaking movies about HBCU bands

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 10:31 AM
then why b1tch when we give them no respect?

Who the hell is b1tchin about respect? Not one gott dayum time did I ask you for your gott damm respect!

I simply stated my opinion on why certain things are they way they are.

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 10:34 AM
Who the hell is b1tchin about respect? Not one gott dayum time did I ask you for your gott damm respect!

I simply stated my opinion on why certain things are they way they are.

I wasn't referring to you specifically, there have been other in the recent past that have made the same point you are trying to make

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 10:34 AM
are you kidding me, they have made freaking movies about HBCU bands

Exactly. It is apart of the HBCU experience, but it is not the only reason why people attend HBCU football games. I don't expect you to understand this though...I guess its just one of those "cultural" differences.

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 10:36 AM
Exactly. It is apart of the HBCU experience, but it is not the only reason why people attend HBCU football games. I don't expect you to understand this though...I guess its just one of those "cultural" differences.

i never said it was the only reason

youwouldno
November 1st, 2005, 10:41 AM
Grambling would get trashed by App St, or Furman, or GSU.

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 10:44 AM
i never said it was the only reason You didn't mention any other reason either.

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 10:46 AM
You didn't mention any other reason either.

my bad

and to answer your question, of the 19 games, 4 games were played at SWAC sites, all 4 at Jackson State (1978,1981,1986,1987)

SAME OLD G
November 1st, 2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the information and the correction.

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the information and the correction.

and actually its 18 games, not 19

Jackson St is 0-12, Grambling and Alcorn are 0-3 each

Jackson St hasn't been since 1997
Grambling since 1989
Alcorn since 1994

89Hen
November 1st, 2005, 11:40 AM
and actually its 18 games, not 19

Jackson St is 0-12, Grambling and Alcorn are 0-3 each

Jackson St hasn't been since 1997
Grambling since 1989
Alcorn since 1994
I'm sure it's 19, I'll have to go check who you're missing.

Found it.

1984: Louisiana Tech 66 - Mississippi Valley State 19

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2005, 11:42 AM
I'm sure it's 19, I'll have to go check who you're missing.

maybe i just overlooked one, but i printed out the list team by team, and the actual game list that shows the scores and the site

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 2nd, 2005, 12:02 AM
The "Bayou Classic" to be played in Houston this year will be touted as one of the great games of the year by their sponsors and it will be a joke due to how the SU team is doing this year but both teams will make lots of money.

Why will the Bayou Classic be a joke because SU is having a bad season. It will be a great game regardless of the records of the teams entering the game. Its called tradition. This word is the reason the Bayou Classic is what it is today. Sound like someone is a bit jealous. Just imagine SU, with the horrible season we are having , being affected by the hurricanes, unable to install our temp. seats 7,000 because the company that had the contract was located in N.O., and still being in the top 5 in attendence.