PDA

View Full Version : Who's ‘The Man'?: App State Rivalry Continues To Grow

BDKJMU
September 18th, 2008, 12:53 AM
http://www.dailynews-record.com/news_details.php?AID=31521&CHID=3

SoCon48
September 18th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Rivalries? ASU now has about 7 schools who claim to be rivals.

appfan2008
September 18th, 2008, 07:27 AM
that is the bittersweet part of success!

elon77
September 18th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Rivalries? ASU now has about 7 schools who claim to be rivals.

Is western one?xconfusedx

thmst30
September 18th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Its a potentially growing rivalry, but JMU has to actually win for it to become a true rivalry. Either way, this Saturday is going to be HUGE. I can't wait 3 more days, I just can't.

thmst30
September 18th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Its a battle for the Jug which makes it a "rivalry", but lately no.

SoCon48
September 18th, 2008, 11:26 AM

Definitely. Anytime you have a game on your schedule that you'd hate to lose much worse than the others (even though there's not much chance) , it's a rivalry. Add in the regional aspect, and it's a definite.

They've had some hard luck in recent years, including a year or two where they lost a lot of close games and had the guts to face some mean I-A powerhouses. In spite of their level of late, mind you they've beaten Elon 6 of their last 9 games. And messed us up good when brad Hoover ws there.

With Coach Stone Cold Butterbean, they'll improve. Just hope they don't get back to where they were under Waters.

The Cats
September 18th, 2008, 11:59 AM

How about we just let "Eloan" take our place.... xeyebrowx

The Cats
September 18th, 2008, 12:11 PM
In spite of their level of late, mind you they've beaten Elon 6 of their last 9 games.

Generally we don't talk smack about Elon, but since they are now getting bold with their last couple of successful years, they are now feeling their oats.......

Since 1970, we're 9-4 against "ELoan" and certainly don't consider them a rival. xoopsx

1970 ........H ....... W ...............17 7
1971 ....... A ........L ................29 43
1978 ........H ....... W ...............17 7
1979 ........H ....... W ...............20 7
1995 ........H ....... W ...............36 14
1996 ........H ....... W ...............45 20
1997 ....... A ........L ................16 17
1998 ........H ....... W ...............10 7
2003 ........H ....... W ...............26 3
2004 ....... A ...... W ................28 7
2005 ........H ....... W ...............31 26
2006 ....... A ........L ................19 37
2007 ........H ........L ................36 38

KiddBrewer
September 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM
"It's been 10 months since James Madison's crushing 28-27 loss to Appalachian State in the first round of the Division I-AA football playoffs, a game that turned when the Dukes gambled on a fourth-and-one with the lead late in the fourth quarter."

why would they have gone for it on 4th down if they were down one inside the 10? wonder if he even thought about it before he wrote it....

mcveyrl
September 18th, 2008, 12:18 PM
No, that's right.

We went for it on fourth down in our own territory with the lead (which is also what that says). Didn't make it, ASU scored and took the lead, and we drove the field for the fumble.

EDIT: Woah...I swore I saw a post on here blasting the writer of the article, but it disappeared....

KiddBrewer
September 18th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Im starting to like this Mickey Matthews characterxthumbsupx He really speaks his mind.....

for instance,

"We didn't block the thing correctly," Matthews said. "If I thought we were going to block it incorrectly, I wouldn't have called it."

I like how he pretty much tells the player who indeed missed the block that it was their fault basically haha.

KiddBrewer
September 18th, 2008, 12:23 PM
No, that's right.

We went for it on fourth down in our own territory with the lead (which is also what that says). Didn't make it, ASU scored and took the lead, and we drove the field for the fumble.

EDIT: Woah...I swore I saw a post on here blasting the writer of the article, but it disappeared....

yep, that was me. i called the author out for a mistake....that wasnt even a mistake........I realized in fact, that I should probably read the rest of the article before commenting........xnonono2x xoopsx

coulda swore i got that trash off before it was noticed.....shootxrolleyesx

mcveyrl
September 18th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Im starting to like this Mickey Matthews characterxthumbsupx He really speaks his mind.....

for instance,

"We didn't block the thing correctly," Matthews said. "If I thought we were going to block it incorrectly, I wouldn't have called it."

I like how he pretty much tells the player who indeed missed the block that it was their fault basically haha.

If somebody missed a block, it is their fault. On a play like that, one missed block blows the whole play up.

mcveyrl
September 18th, 2008, 12:30 PM
yep, that was me. i called the author out for a mistake....that wasnt even a mistake........I realized in fact, that I should probably read the rest of the article before commenting........xnonono2x xoopsx

coulda swore i got that trash off before it was noticed.....shootxrolleyesx

No worries. Just an extra post for me!

james_lawfirm
September 18th, 2008, 01:08 PM
If somebody missed a block, it is their fault. On a play like that, one missed block blows the whole play up.

I am sure Coach Moore would agree with you on that point. However, it is one thing to recognize whose fault it is; and it is another thing entirely to publicly pronounce to the world whose fault it is.

I believe the better approach would have been for Coach Mickey to place the blame privately or in practice and work on correcting the problem, and then publicly take the blame HIMSELF for not teaching proper blocking techniques or assignments.

My observations about Coach Moore are that he takes all the blame himself for the failures of his team, but gives the team credit and praise for all the things that they do right. Coach Mickey could learn from this approach.

mcveyrl
September 18th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I am sure Coach Moore would agree with you on that point. However, it is one thing to recognize whose fault it is; and it is another thing entirely to publicly pronounce to the world whose fault it is.

I believe the better approach would have been for Coach Mickey to place the blame privately or in practice and work on correcting the problem, and then publicly take the blame HIMSELF for not teaching proper blocking techniques or assignments.

My observations about Coach Moore are that he takes all the blame himself for the failures of his team, but gives the team credit and praise for all the things that they do right. Coach Mickey could learn from this approach.

I disagree with that approach. I'm not cool with Mickey calling out players by name, but if somebody missed a block, there's no need for self-deprication on Matthews' part. You send a circular message to your players to take blame in public and then place blame in private.

appfan2008
September 18th, 2008, 01:26 PM

I wouldnt mind coach moore calling someone out publicly on occasion... certainly wouldnt bother me... not that he has been in mickey's shoes recently...

SoCon48
September 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM
How about we just let "Eloan" take our place.... xeyebrowx

They already have in the W-L category.xeyebrowx

SoCon48
September 18th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I wouldnt mind coach moore calling someone out publicly on occasion... certainly wouldnt bother me... not that he has been in mickey's shoes recently...

It would totally be out of character (especailly faulting an individ player) and against our program's image, too. We try to let our play do our talking.