PDA

View Full Version : WSSU's move to D-I delayed

DSUrocks07
September 17th, 2008, 03:49 PM
WSSU's move to Division I is delayed

By John Dell | Journal Reporter

Published: September 17, 2008

Winston-Salem State's transition to Division I has hit a speed bump.

The NCAA has determined that WSSU did not satisfy a bylaw that requires minimum scholarship requirements in men's tennis and men's and women's track during the 2007-08 school year.

Because of the infraction, WSSU must repeat the second year of its reclassification process. WSSU started the move to Division I in 2005 and is hoping to be a full member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference by March 2010 so that it can play in the 2010 MEAC basketball tournaments.

Athletics Director Chico Caldwell said in a statement: "We are very disappointed in this ruling by the NCAA and are currently considering all of our options to ensure we continue moving ahead with our transition."

In the same statement, second-year chancellor Donald Reaves said: "We are continuing on the path to Division I as planned." Reaves said that the school is considering an appeal.

Caldwell said that a misunderstanding of the rules about awarding athletics scholarships brought on the NCAA review. Several athletes that WSSU signed did not enroll or left school in mid-semester, and their scholarships were not awarded to others, as they should have been.

"The NCAA Division I Management Council Membership Subcommittee considers this an under-awarding of athletic scholarships," Caldwell said. "This is the unfortunate situation we find ourselves in."

xnonono2x

this falls on the NCAA compliance department.

See ya in 2011 Rams

dgreco
September 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I am confused, are they in the MEAC yet?

DSUrocks07
September 17th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Not yet a full member. March 2010 was the goal but now its been pushed back a year.

Go...gate
September 17th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Sorry to learn of this. Sounds like the NCAA leadership has been asleep at the switch. :(

BlueHen86
September 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Sounds draconian on the NCAA's part. I hope they appeal and win, but I won't cross my fingers. The NCAA usually does the wrong thing.

TexasTerror
September 17th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Compliance is the most critical issue facing schools...

Got to get the business in that area done...oversight or not, perhaps the MEAC should have stepped in and provided an assist. That's what conferences do, one of the major functions...