PDA

View Full Version : Basic Gameday Awareness for JMU/App St

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM
While many have scattered tid bits of wisdom concerning the awesomeness that will be this Saturday in Harrisonburg, I feel compelled to provide the visitors with a collection of items of interest you should know:

1. Parking lots open early (8AM) for gameday, students generally are still asleep.

This is good news for you. Chances are, many of you will be able to find some free parking spaces in the few lots that are not marked for parking passes only.

2. Godwin Lot/Field = Older Alumni; P-Lot/Convo Lots = Younger Alumni; C-4/C-5/R Lots = Student Tailgates

If you are older, I highly recommend NOT parking in the C-4 lot. This weekend it will be far from family friendly. The students will be juiced, and bar-like brawls may ensue. We are a friendly people at JMU, much like ASU, but I remember well how we were treated a couple years ago when I tailgated with my friend's cousin in the student section - not pretty (to be expected). Beers were flung at my girlfriend and his wife, and another dude ran up to one of our alumni, pulled his own pants down, and proceeded to try to rub his a$$ against the guy. Boone does some crazy things to people on Saturdays! xnonox xlolx Anyway, similar stories may result from your participation with the students on Saturday. Consider this your friendly warning.

3. Scoreboard :o

We know it's a "mini"tron. While the resolution is very good on the video screen, apparently size was sacrificed in the effort. We Dukes have plenty of other BIG things, so no inferiority complex. Just sayin', we know it needs an upgrade.

4. Seating in the endzone

The band is a fun group of people. They will harass you and razz you as any students would, but they are generally respectable. A few will be drunk though - particularly the trumpets (could be the angry drunks), the sax section (hold you gfs and wives close by) and the Tuba section (God knows what they'll do... xconfusedx xlolx ). Most mellophone players are gay - watch your a$$! xeekx

5. Streamers

Enjoy the show. They are much more fun to see in Bridgeforth where the entire stadium has them flowing through the air. It's cooler than you think and a unique recent tradition. Do look out for falling objects. Some drunk kids like to ball up the used streamers and hurl them at unsuspecting people. Security does well to keep this at a minimum, but we are at a college, so kids will be kids! xwhistlex

6. Food

Hams is a popular spot (sports bar/family restaurant). The Beanery also has some great eats. Finnegan's is a cool bar downtown. Dave's Taverna is a local favorite among students and alumni. There are many other good spots, just drive down Market Street in the more business-like area of town. If all else fails, JMU's food is pretty damn good too, if open (many varieties of places throughout campus).

7. Alcohol

Drink all you want. Cops are pretty lax for the most part, although they do like to stir things up from time to time. Just drink everything in cups. Bottles and cans will get you in trouble - open containers are not allowed in VA and you will be ticketed on the spot. However, by simply pouring yourself a brew in a cup, all is fine. Be safe, don't give them a reason to make your day a bad one.

8. Duke Dog

We love our mascot. However, as I understand it, he had some issues with the heat and actually slipped into a coma last weekend for a short period of time. Horrible situation, and we are all praying for a full and speedy recovery for this student. They usually have 3-4 students playing the role of Duke Dog each year, so I am guessing our beloved mascot will still be in attendance as usual Sat. night. Dog (*cough* beer *cough*) breath is not uncommon.

9. Lights

Again, another stadium upgrade needed. Expect a dark field and lights that are more in your eyes than lighting up the field. They are crappy. But I still think most people whine too much about the lighting. Just deal with it and know that it is on the list with the other stadium upgrades.

10. JMU Bookstore

Right in the center of campus and near the stadium, please stop by and pick up some Purple and Gold souvenirs. Personally, I think the stuffed duke dogs make a great addition to any family with kids! xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

Cheers and Enjoy the Game!!!!!!!!!

'neers80
September 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM
GREAT info ... thanks for the "heads up" ... this should be done for all visiting teams

biggie
September 17th, 2008, 03:17 PM
So do the streamers (xnonono2x ) only come out on TDs? If so, are we sure we'll get to see them? :D

appfan2008
September 17th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Wow interesting stuff... i hope the mascot is ok?!?!

citdog
September 17th, 2008, 03:21 PM
PERHAPS POST THIS INFO ON ONE OF THE 100 OTHER THREADS ABOUT THIS GAME?

ASUG8
September 17th, 2008, 03:44 PM

Are there other games this weekend?

mcveyrl
September 17th, 2008, 03:45 PM

I forgot how concerned you were with "useless" stuff clogging up your internets.:p :D

Skjellyfetti
September 17th, 2008, 03:49 PM

GO BACK TO YOUR CITADEL-PRINCETON THREAD. OH WAIT... NO ONE CARES. xbawlingx

mountain_man
September 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM

Relax dog...

Your boys get their chance to step up to the big time on 10/04/2008.

james_lawfirm
September 17th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to it so much its hard to concentrate at work. Is it time for kickoff yet?

citdog
September 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM
GO BACK TO YOUR THE CITADEL-PRINCETON THREAD. OH WAIT... NO ONE CARES. xbawlingx

YOU'RE GOING TO CARE ALOT AFTER 4 OCTOBER......SEASONS GONNA BE ALL OVER FOR YOU AFTER THAT DATE.

AppStsGr8
September 17th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks so much for the info - especially parking / tailgating. Can't wait for Saturday!

JmuSkinsfan
September 17th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I know there is a huge thread over on the App forum on where to park, etc.

I would stick with the Convocation lot (only about a 5 minute walk to the stadium) or across Port Republic in the residence lot behind Starbucks, Jimmy Johns, etc. That lot is literally right off the 245 ext on I-81. If you are coming from the south, get off at that exit and take a left at the light. You go back across 81 and through one light...take a left at the 2nd light with the little center on your left and go on back into the parking lot. It will be away from meddling students.

I'll tell you right now, there is no way you will be able to park in the Hillside lot or the baseball lot. Those are the two biggest areas for student tailgating. There is a facebook event dedicated to getting people to park their cars down there Thursday and Friday before the game. So far there are about 700 confirmed so it is unlikely you'll get a spot, even if you arrive early on Saturday morning.

Safe travels to all ASU fans. I had fun last year on the SDC trip for the playoffs. For the most part, you guys were accepting (except for the students after the game, but hey, I'm a student and probably would have done the same thing). Try not to take offense at drunk students talking trash...we are notorious drinkers and partiers here and we can get a little out of hand ... so just a heads up ... hopefully you guys don't encounter too much of that. I'll be doing my best (drunk) to keep the people I'm with and around me respectful!

AshevilleApp2
September 18th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the good information, particularly the open container policy. That's the kind of little thing that can make a big difference.

appmaj
September 18th, 2008, 08:58 AM
If you are older, I highly recommend NOT parking in the C-4 lot. This weekend it will be far from family friendly. The students will be juiced, and bar-like brawls may ensue. We are a friendly people at JMU, much like ASU, but I remember well how we were treated a couple years ago when I tailgated with my friend's cousin in the student section - not pretty (to be expected). Beers were flung at my girlfriend and his wife, and another dude ran up to one of our alumni, pulled his own pants down, and proceeded to try to rub his a$$ against the guy. Boone does some crazy things to people on Saturdays! xnonox xlolx Anyway, similar stories may result from your participation with the students on Saturday. Consider this your friendly warning.

I hate hearing stuff like this. Makes the school look bad. Im sure everyone has their story on every school and many of them may be blow out of proportion, but it still is bad to hear.

DLS
September 18th, 2008, 10:01 AM
5. Streamers

Enjoy the show. They are much more fun to see in Bridgeforth where the entire stadium has them flowing through the air. It's cooler than you think and a unique recent tradition.

how has jmu not picked up on the fact that the streamers are the most pathetic celebration in college football. also the gayest.

app shoots a gun and jmu throws ribbons.

what kind of fanbase could ever possibly think this would be a good idea? seriously. whats next? is rodney landers gonna do the splits after conversions?

i realize it has nothing to do with the actual game but why on earth would someone brag about the d@mn streamers?

mcveyrl
September 18th, 2008, 10:06 AM
how has jmu not picked up on the fact that the streamers are the most pathetic celebration in college football. also the gayest.

what kind of fanbase could ever possibly think this would be a good idea? seriously. whats next? is rodney landers gonna do the splits after conversions?

i realize it has nothing to do with the actual game but why on earth would someone brag about the d@mn streamers?

We also shoot a gun. It's pretty original.:p

A lot of unbiased fans, those not affiliated with a I-AA team, have said they like the streamers. I actually had an App fan tell me at the playoff game that he liked them.

I'm indifferent, but my son (three) gets a kick out of it.

JMU2004
September 18th, 2008, 10:15 AM

ASU fans sure do like to call things "gay".

DLS
September 18th, 2008, 10:17 AM
We also shoot a gun. It's pretty original.:p

A lot of unbiased fans, those not affiliated with a I-AA team, have said they like the streamers. I actually had an App fan tell me at the playoff game that he liked them.

I'm indifferent, but my son (three) gets a kick out of it.

yes, the endless amount of jmu streamer jokes must be a figment of my imagination.

he's three. he'd get a kick out of hay bails falling apart.

DLS
September 18th, 2008, 10:19 AM
ASU fans sure do like to call things "gay".

what else would you call it?

mcveyrl
September 18th, 2008, 10:22 AM
yes, the endless amount of jmu streamer jokes must be a figment of my imagination.

he's three. he'd get a kick out of hay bails falling apart.

I'm not saying people don't make fun of it. Just that we don't care.

We like it. If you don't, FU (:p -purple power?), it's our thing.

DLS
September 18th, 2008, 10:25 AM
i do need to conciede that there are few chants app fans like to murder and words like "neers" and "appy" that really piss me off.

but nothing on the level of streamers.

BDKJMU
September 18th, 2008, 10:32 AM

JMU also shoots a gun. Actually a cannon. So I bet our gun is longer, thicker, and louder than your gun..xlolx

DLS
September 18th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I bet our gun is longer, thicker

and now its clear why ya'll throw streamers.

neersnbeers
September 18th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Easy on the "neers". I grew up an hour north of Boone and probably 80% of my teachers were App alumni. I've been hearing that term all my life. May not be used in the flatlands, but Apps and Neers is fo sho common.
Those streamers are aggravating as heck though. Guess they do their job.

DLS
September 18th, 2008, 10:57 AM
i get neers has been around, just dont like the way it sounds.

neersnbeers
September 18th, 2008, 11:06 AM
It rhymes with queers, I know.
Anywho, wish I could make the game for the full experience. Myself and about 7 others will be camping so I'm gonna haul in my little Honda generator and a stereo to pick up the ISP feed from the local AM station here in Hendoville.