PDA

View Full Version : CSN Down South: Time to Unite Once More in Wake of Cancellations

CSN-info
September 16th, 2008, 03:33 PM
By Jason Plotkin, CSN Down South Columnist
Canceled. Canceled. Canceled. Canceled. Four Southland Conference games were canceled this past weekend. A football fan’s worst nightmare.

Games between McNeese State and Cal Poly, Sam Houston State and Prairie View A&M, and Stephen F. Austin and Kentucky Weslayan were called off due to Hurricane Ike. Meanwhile, Nicholls State’s home opener against Bowie State was erased due to continuing complications left by Hurricane Gustav.

The best part about sports is that they have the power to unite and distract. Those four Southland school fan bases will soon reunite at the venues they have spent many Saturdays at through the years and return to their favorite distraction from all that the world brings – hurricanes included.

After last week, it’s time for the conference to unite once more to get back on track as it relates to a mission shared by all the teams. That mission, to regain the conference’s status in the eyes of those who follow the Football Championship Subdivision as the league faces a challenging slate of nonconference games this week.Read more... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=csn-down-south-time-to-unite-once-more-i&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Along these same lines, SFA and SLU did a deal to help the Jacks get a game back...just got this release over the wire.

SOUTHEASTERN-STEPHEN F. AUSTIN FOOTBALL GAME MOVED TO OCT. 4

HAMMOND – Southeastern Louisiana University and Stephen F. Austin officials announced Tuesday that their Southland Conference football game, originally scheduled for Oct. 11, has been moved up to Oct. 4.

The change was made to accommodate SFA’s game against Kentucky Wesleyan, which was originally scheduled for last Saturday but was postponed due to Hurricane Ike. The Lumberjacks’ game with Kentucky Wesleyan has been rescheduled for Oct. 11 in an announcement from SFA Director of Athletics Robert Hill.

“Part of being in a conference is to be good colleagues to fellow members without putting yourself in a competitive disadvantage,” Southeastern Director of Athletics Joel Erdmann said. “Coach (Mike) Lucas and I discussed moving the game and we both agreed it was the right thing to do."

GeauxLions94
September 16th, 2008, 03:36 PM
By Jason Plotkin, CSN Down South ColumnistRead more... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=csn-down-south-time-to-unite-once-more-i&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Nice move by Lions by agreeing to move Oct. 11 game at SFA to Oct. 4 (was a bye week for both). That let's SFA get their win (I mean game) back against Kentucky Wesleyan.

SLU-SFA Game Moved Up One Week ... what TT just posted (http://www.lionsports.net/news/2008/9/16/FB_0916085841.aspx)

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Nice move by Lions by agreeing to move Oct. 11 game at SFA to Oct. 4 (was a bye week for both). That let's SFA get their win (I mean game) back against Kentucky Wesleyan.

I did not think about that option. Perhaps SHSU and a school in the SLC can work together to handle the same situation...though it does not look too likely based on our schedule unless UCA wants to move their home date up a week...

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2008, 05:29 PM
An article from Beaumont...

Across Southland Conference, football teams feeling hits from hurricanes
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/28472484.html

Retro
September 16th, 2008, 11:08 PM
It would be really great if we could get cal poly to come here on 9/27 and then see if Southern Virginia would play Nicholls and have that game here earlier in the day.. Nicholls gets a make up game of similar quality, so does mcneese..

BEAR
September 17th, 2008, 05:11 AM
UCA has no off week this year..12 games in 12 weeks. There's no room to move..:)

JoshUCA
September 17th, 2008, 07:47 AM
UCA has no off week this year..12 games in 12 weeks. There's no room to move..:)

Except the week after the Tulsa game...but we won't be moving our game against SHSU b/c that is Homecoming.

TexasTerror
September 17th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Except the week after the Tulsa game...but we won't be moving our game against SHSU b/c that is Homecoming.

Yep -- we have some scheduling issues on our slate which prevent movement too. Just good to see an SLC school helping out another...xnodx

Bear Fan 101
September 17th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Yeah UCA BEAR, we have an open week two weeks from now after the Tulsa game and before the Sam Houston game. But like JoshUCA mentioned, I doubt we would move our Sam houston game because that is Homecoming at UCA, and it is the SLC television game.

I'm sure we would be willing to help out, but I have not heard a peep if this has even been discussed, nor would I hear of this stuff even if it had really.