PDA

View Full Version : Montana Special Teams

Green26
September 16th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Since there has been some discussion about Montana special teams' performance this year, I thought I'd provide some information. Special teams are coached by head coach Bobby Hauck. The Hauck Haters seem to like to criticize special teams play.

Last season UM had an all-american kicker, Dan Carpenter, and a very good punter. Carpenter is kicking for the Miami Dolphins this year.

There has been considerable drop off in the kicking game, especially the place-kicking. However, the overall is performance of the special teams has otherwise been relatively good.

Two punts have been blocked by UM in the first two games. Several other UM punt rushes have caused bad punts. UM punt coverage has been good.

Opponent punting is averaging only 28.1 yards, and opponent net punting is only 19.8. So. Utah came into the game with its punter averaging about 49 yards, I believe, but he had a bad performance. The So. Utah is still 6th in nation. UM is averaging 14.1 per punt return (23rd in nation).

UM punting is averaging 43.4 yards (8th in nation). UM net punting is 38.1 (7th in nation). UM has given up one return of 22 yards, but otherwise has given up only 6 yards per return (4).

UM kickoff returns have consistently been good, averaging 20.9 per return. A couple penalties (or at least one) have occurred on kickoff returns, which hurt the average. UM has fumbled 2 kickoff returns, but recovered both. This also hurt the average return. One was a miscommunication and one was by a true frosh.

UM kickoffs have been okay but much shorter than last year. The first kick of the season went out of bounds. Coverage has generally been good, but the So. Utah returner was very good and had some good returns.

Field goals are 2-4, but have been consistently short, and looked weak. The long snapping has been inconsistent. I think there may have been two snappers, but I'm not sure of that. Extra points are only 8-10. A backup kicker, a senior receiver and captain, kicked a FG and extra point in the last game. UM is struggling in this aspect of the game. The good news is that UM is going for it on 4th down in part of the field where they had kicked FG's in prior years--and having some success.

Green26
September 17th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Mariani, the UM junior receiver, is 2nd in the nation in all-purpose yards, averaging 224 per game. These come from kickoff and punt returning, as well as pass catching. Runs a 4.37, fastest on team. Originally a walk-on from Havre MT. Never returned kicks (even in high school apparently) until last year. Caught 4 TD passes last Saturday.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Nobody cares what you have to say as evidence of no responses.

Zip, Zero, nadda.

At least these people get it.

Wolfman
September 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM
So, Greenie, are you changing your screen name from "Player Rep", to "Coach Rep"? It is amusing why you think you have to defend Bobby Hauck all of the time? Are you two lovers?

griz37
September 17th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Let's face it Greenie, if the Griz don't find a field goal kicker who can make one from more than 30 yards out, it will cost them at least 2 games this year.

Ronbo
September 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Was #26 your number when you played for Dartmouth Jack?

GrizzlyEdd
September 17th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Boys, Boys, Boys....xcoolx

putter
September 17th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Let's face it Greenie, if the Griz don't find a field goal kicker who can make one from more than 30 yards out, it will cost them at least 2 games this year.

Agreed.. BH better have someone in the stands at the half. If someone kicks that 45 yard FG to win $10k he better sign him up!!

Grizaholic17
September 17th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Agreed.. BH better have someone in the stands at the half. If someone kicks that 45 yard FG to win $10k he better sign him up!!

How impossible is that? THAT IS A RIDICULOUS CHALLENGE. That being said, i'm practicing!

Green26
September 17th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Yup.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 17th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Was 26 your IQ when you played for Dartmouth Jack?

xoopsx

Wolfman
September 17th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Yup.

Oh, so you two ARE lovers!!! That explains everything! xconfusedx

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 17th, 2008, 05:17 PM
With all the nipple rubbing that goes on around "the box" there was never any doubt in my mind they hooked up.

Wolfman
September 17th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Was #26 your number when you played for Dartmouth Jack?

Jack was a bench warmer for Dartmouth. Whoop-t-do! They used a punkin ball and played without helmits in those days. Obviously, the constant head banging effected his mind, as we all know too well.

Grizaholic17
September 17th, 2008, 05:24 PM
well anyway, i was waiting for a special teams post. Kicking game is the most suspect...with Kickoff being a close second. Our return game and punting game can do some damage. Just have to kick FG's and contain on KO

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 17th, 2008, 05:25 PM
True, he started a thread, got no responses and then started talking to himself.

Maybe he just misplaced his meds and his lotion?

Ronbo
September 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Whether Jack was a bench warmer (and you know this how?) or not he got an Ivy League education. Did you two even graduate HS? xlolx

Wolfman
September 17th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Whether Jack was a bench warmer (and you know this how?) or not he got an Ivy League education. Did you two even graduate HS? xlolx

Ronblow, you should stay out of threads which open yourself up to the ample opportunity to smack you. Your smack is as weak as Hauck's kicking game.

Ronblow is a wit
Always in a snit
But never one to scoff
At getting Jack off. xlolx xnodx

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM

I barely graduated high school and I still work you over mentally, that's GOTTA SUCK!!!

GolfingGriz
September 17th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I would say move this thread to the smack board, but that would disrespect all of the smack on that board.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 18th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Wow you really teed that one up.