PDA

View Full Version : Football rules question

JayJ79
September 16th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Is it considered illegal to pull a player's hair?

Obviously for 98% of players, this is never an issue, since their hair is inside their helmet. But I'm curious in terms of the guys who have the long braids/dreads/etc. hanging down their back.

BeauFoster
September 16th, 2008, 05:42 AM

Obviously for 98% of players, this is never an issue, since their hair is inside their helmet. But I'm curious in terms of the guys who have the long braids/dreads/etc. hanging down their back.

I remember Troy Pollamalu (I have no idea how to spell his name) intercepted a ball a few years ago and was tackled by the hair. The announcers made the comment that it was legal in college and the NFL, the hair is considered part of the jersey. After the game, Troy acknowledged the same thing, and said that he didn't mind the tackle. I assume the rule hasn't changed.

darell1976
September 16th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I remember Troy Pollamalu (I have no idea how to spell his name) intercepted a ball a few years ago and was tackled by the hair. The announcers made the comment that it was legal in college and the NFL, the hair is considered part of the jersey. After the game, Troy acknowledged the same thing, and said that he didn't mind the tackle. I assume the rule hasn't changed.

Same thing happened with Ricky Williams too they said it was part of the uniforum so as far as i know its legal.

DetroitFlyer
September 16th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Ouch. Not sure that is a good rule.... It sure seems like a player could be injured by being brought down by the hair.... I could certainly see an ugly, head jerking type of thing going on.... Not sure how to deal with it however.... Just try mandating that hair must remain in the helmet for example....xrolleyesx

OhioHen
September 16th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Perhaps they'll apply a version of the new "horse collar" rule.

Maybe call it the "pony tail" rule.

Hood
September 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I assume the players with long hair are advised of the rule, know the risk, and accept it.

Everyone is subject to a horse collar injury.

Only the ones that choose long hair are subject to that sort of injury.

Grizzaholic
September 16th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Ouch. Not sure that is a good rule.... It sure seems like a player could be injured by being brought down by the hair.... I could certainly see an ugly, head jerking type of thing going on.... Not sure how to deal with it however.... Just try mandating that hair must remain in the helmet for example....xrolleyesx

If one is going to have all his hair hanging out the back of his helmet then it is own damn fault if he gets tackled by the hair. If one wants to have long hair but not get tackled by it maybe tuck it into his helmet or make some sort of hair net to keep it tucked inside his jersey and against his skin.

McNeese75
September 16th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I assume the players with long hair are advised of the rule, know the risk, and accept it.

Everyone is subject to a horse collar injury.

Only the ones that choose long hair are subject to that sort of injury.

xnodx Cut it or lose it

andy7171
September 16th, 2008, 10:36 AM
How can they make it illegal to tackle someone by their hair? If they did, you'd have guys running around lookin like Crystal Gayle and being virtually untouchable!

ngineer
September 16th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Every player must know his 'part'....;)

JALMOND
September 16th, 2008, 11:22 PM

Not sure if there is a rule about it. May be open to the official's interpretation at the time and could result in a horse collar penalty or something similar.

Retro
September 16th, 2008, 11:41 PM
It will never be illegal to grab hair because if it was more players would grow it longer just to give the defender less options on where to grab him from as the hair covers more of the backside, etc... I would like the NFL to make it a rule for No Hair below the nameplate.. There's nothing more annoying than watching some clown/girl trying to make a tackle with hair flying all over the place.. It looks pretty silly.