PDA

View Full Version : Mickey: Get Hostile

BDKJMU
September 16th, 2008, 03:15 AM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=31448&CHID=3&sub=

Lots of Mickey quotes in this article:

"We need to have a really hostile party waiting for them when they get here," Matthews said Monday at his weekly press conference. "We want to put the welcome mat out, but we want to pull it out from under them pretty quick."

"We said we weren't going to mention Appalachian State until after the game," Matthews said. "I think I was in the locker room 10 seconds Saturday and a couple of them asked me if we could start talking about Appalachian State now."

"It's very hard to evaluate them," Matthews said. "They play LSU, and anybody would look not very good against LSU. The team they played last week ... you watch that film and Coach [Jerry] Moore was very gracious not scoring in the triple figures against them."

"I would be lying if I didn't say we probably spent a little more time on Appalachian than the other teams," Matthews said. "We spent a lot of time on UMass for obvious reasons, but it wouldn't be wrong to say we spent more time on Appalachian than other opponents in the summer, analyzing everybody we were playing early."

Matthews said he thinks JMU is the only team on App State's remaining schedule with a chance to knock off the Mountaineers, though they do play No. 11 Wofford, No. 16 Georgia Southern, No. 17 Elon, No. 21 The Citadel, and No. 24 Furman.

"Quite frankly, if we don't beat them this game, they won't lose another game this season," Matthews said. "Look at their schedule. Who's going to beat them?"

As for Saturday, Matthews hedged when asked if the App State game was a matchup of the two best I-AA teams in the nation.

"You want me to answer that and cause a problem," Matthews said. "I'm sure those people in Richmond and North Dakota State and Villanova and Delaware, they would love to hear me say it. But you're not going to hear me say it. I think it's against two top-five teams that have national championship aspirations."

And on future matchups:
Madison athletic director Jeff Bourne said he is in ongoing conversations with his Appalachian State counterpart, Charlie Cobb, about scheduling another series, possibly as many as four games. The two spoke, Bourne said, Monday afternoon about the topic.

th0m
September 16th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Sigh.

Cleets
September 16th, 2008, 03:56 AM
So are you saying: The SoCon is over rated..? xlolx

xnodx

mountaineertider
September 16th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Has JMU's coach always said stuff like this (and the whole injured RB costing him a NC) or is this a new thing?

BeauFoster
September 16th, 2008, 05:44 AM

And on future matchups:
Madison athletic director Jeff Bourne said he is in ongoing conversations with his Appalachian State counterpart, Charlie Cobb, about scheduling another series, possibly as many as four games. The two spoke, Bourne said, Monday afternoon about the topic.

Now that is some good news! I would love to play JMU every year, it is becoming a healthy rivalry (Alexale not withstanding xlolx )

DRDukes
September 16th, 2008, 06:07 AM
JMU and App State playing on a regular basis would be great. It is becoming a great rivalry and one that brings a lot of excitement to FCS football.

DLS
September 16th, 2008, 06:33 AM
So are you saying: The SoCon is over rated..? xlolx

if you can think of another team outside of the soconn that has beaten appstate since 2004 i would like to hear it.

also *cough* woffordovermontana *cough*

OVERRATED?! sucka plz.

Black and Gold Express
September 16th, 2008, 06:34 AM
"Quite frankly, if we don't beat them this game, they won't lose another game this season," Matthews said. "Look at their schedule. Who's going to beat them?"

Well, send the trophy to Boone, it's official. We're not going to lose another game this season. Coach Mickey just said so! xthumbsupx

AppStsGr8
September 16th, 2008, 06:58 AM
App going undefeated after JMU "though they do play" ... the rest of the SoCon. What?!?!?!

Seems to me that I watched a very sound GaSo team take App in Boone last year. Even without Jason Foster, GaSo won't roll over and play dead at home just so App can slide through the conference undefeated.

My memory also says that Wofford beat App last year and shared the SoCon title. I wouldn't count the Terriers out just yet.

Then there's Elon, Furman, and The Citadel. The good news is that Wofford, Elon, Furman, and The Citadel all have to play in Boone this year. That's 5 currently top 25 teams - 4 of those games are in October.

Do I think App is capable of winning the remainder of its games? You bet. Is an undefeated conference record guaranteed? Not by a long shot.
Is it possible that MM wants to make a possible JMU win "count" for more than it might otherwise? :D

See you in Harrisonburg. GO APP!

Tribe4SF
September 16th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Has JMU's coach always said stuff like this (and the whole injured RB costing him a NC) or is this a new thing?

Always.

whitey
September 16th, 2008, 08:36 AM
No one should be surprised by these comments. The most interesting part of the article is that Bourne and Cobb are discussing an additional series.

jmu007
September 16th, 2008, 08:39 AM
haha I was about to say... shouldn't ya'll be used to these little bites by now. =P

elon77
September 16th, 2008, 08:46 AM

Lots of Mickey quotes in this article:

"We need to have a really hostile party waiting for them when they get here," Matthews said Monday at his weekly press conference. "We want to put the welcome mat out, but we want to pull it out from under them pretty quick."

"We said we weren't going to mention Appalachian State until after the game," Matthews said. "I think I was in the locker room 10 seconds Saturday and a couple of them asked me if we could start talking about Appalachian State now."

"It's very hard to evaluate them," Matthews said. "They play LSU, and anybody would look not very good against LSU. The team they played last week ... you watch that film and Coach [Jerry] Moore was very gracious not scoring in the triple figures against them."

"I would be lying if I didn't say we probably spent a little more time on Appalachian than the other teams," Matthews said. "We spent a lot of time on UMass for obvious reasons, but it wouldn't be wrong to say we spent more time on Appalachian than other opponents in the summer, analyzing everybody we were playing early."

Matthews said he thinks JMU is the only team on App State's remaining schedule with a chance to knock off the Mountaineers, though they do play No. 11 Wofford, No. 16 Georgia Southern, No. 17 Elon, No. 21 The Citadel, and No. 24 Furman.

As for Saturday, Matthews hedged when asked if the App State game was a matchup of the two best I-AA teams in the nation.

"You want me to answer that and cause a problem," Matthews said. "I'm sure those people in Richmond and North Dakota State and Villanova and Delaware, they would love to hear me say it. But you're not going to hear me say it. I think it's against two top-five teams that have national championship aspirations."

And on future matchups:

Whow. Sounds like all the other Socon teams might as well take the week off when they play ASU. Just give them a victory and stay home and wait for the next week. Is this what you mean by Mickey being Mickey?xconfusedx

mcveyrl
September 16th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Whow. Sounds like all the other Socon teams might as well take the week off when they play ASU. Just give them a victory and stay home and wait for the next week. Is this what you mean by Mickey being Mickey?xconfusedx

This is, in fact, Mickey being Mickey.

neersnbeers
September 16th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Man I'm so pumped. And I think he just pissed the rest of the SoCon off!

93henfan
September 16th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Mickey Matthews is the Jerry Glanville of FCS.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 16th, 2008, 09:11 AM
So I have a question:

Who benefits more from a renewed contract of OOC rivals (rivals - only if JMU ever wins xmadx )?

A. The Fans
B. The team' conference rivals (one more L for somebody!)

I am only slightly in favor of adding this game because our conferences are so tough and it's by such a narrow margin that a team can make the playoffs. With the autobids coming for the NEC and BigSouth in the future and the addition of teams in the Dakotas, it's only going to get tougher to make the playoffs. Both teams (JMU and App St) have become slightly comfortable with being able to get into the field. We'll see how all this affects the future.

Is it good for FCS? OH HELL YEAH! xnodx

whitey
September 16th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Mickey Matthews is the Jerry Glanville of FCS.

I thought Jerry Glanville was the Jerry Glanville of FCS?

T-Dog
September 16th, 2008, 09:19 AM
http://www.mycrimespace.com/uploads/redforeman.jpg

Dumbass!

elon77
September 16th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Man I'm so pumped. And I think he just pissed the rest of the SoCon off!

Pissed me off. I hope ASU and Richmond both beat the crap out of them!:D

james_lawfirm
September 16th, 2008, 10:42 AM
This is, in fact, Mickey being Mickey.

McV:

That may be true. However, he is one heckuva coach. He had THE BEST game plan against ASU last year of anyone we played. Period.

In contrast, Coach Moore, while a pretty good coach himself, won't give JMU any BB material like what Coach Matthews said. While Coach Moore will tell you that App does not alter its game plan for any other team, in actuality, I'll bet everyone has kept last year's game against JMU in the back of their mind. There is no way in Hades that JMU will control the ball for 40 minutes again.

I predict JMU will run some surprise plays which may even surprise JMU. From what I know of Coach Matthews, he can be too cute by half. On the other hand, Coach Moore will be more conservative (I think). App will pass when we have to, but try to run the ball when possible. I also think App's rushing defense is much improved over last year. Landers may not get as many rushing yards as he did against UMass. Also, it's about time for Armanti to make a statement. We'll see.

Is it time for kickoff yet?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 16th, 2008, 10:44 AM
My heart tells me: Mickey is so sly that he knew exactly what to say to fire up the rest of the SoCon so that perhaps after JMU beats App St., then with two more conference losses, there will be no chance for JMU to face them again in the playoffs.

My head tells me: Mickey just says whatever comes out of his mouth without thinking.

I still love the guy. He is funny as hell with some of his comments, and even his detractors would have to admit he gives us plenty to talk about between Saturdays.

Eight Legger
September 16th, 2008, 10:44 AM
This is why I will be rooting for App to win by 50 on Saturday, conference affiliations be damned.

james_lawfirm
September 16th, 2008, 10:46 AM
My heart tells me: Mickey is so sly that he knew exactly what to say to fire up the rest of the SoCon so that perhaps after JMU beats App St., then with two more conference losses, there will be no chance for JMU to face them again in the playoffs.

My head tells me: Mickey just says whatever comes out of his mouth without thinking.

I still love the guy. He is funny as hell with some of his comments, and even his detractors would have to admit he gives us plenty to talk about between Saturdays.

I agree with your head.

SoCon48
September 16th, 2008, 11:02 AM
McV:

That may be true. However, he is one heckuva coach. He had THE BEST game plan against ASU last year of anyone we played. Period.

In contrast, Coach Moore, while a pretty good coach himself, won't give JMU any BB material like what Coach Matthews said. While Coach Moore will tell you that App does not alter its game plan for any other team, in actuality, I'll bet everyone has kept last year's game against JMU in the back of their mind. There is no way in Hades that JMU will control the ball for 40 minutes again.

I predict JMU will run some surprise plays which may even surprise JMU. From what I know of Coach Matthews, he can be too cute by half. On the other hand, Coach Moore will be more conservative (I think). App will pass when we have to, but try to run the ball when possible. I also think App's rushing defense is much improved over last year. Landers may not get as many rushing yards as he did against UMass. Also, it's about time for Armanti to make a statement. We'll see.

Game plan or not, let's don't give him 2 fumbles in the first few minutes to convert to TD's like last year and have to hear him bitch and moan about fumbling FG snap.

I fear our rushing game is totally unproven thus far. 2 first downs and 87 yards total rushing in the first game raises tons of questions.

Not sure 487 vs a team with 63 less scholarships proves much either.

Just have to wait and see.

SoCon48
September 16th, 2008, 11:08 AM

I don't think the coaches in the SoCon will pay any attention to that drivel. I know JM won't. They know that last year ASU went 3-0 vs the CAA and yet lost 2 games in the SoCon. And little Wofford beat the best the Big Sky had to offer all the way across the country.

BDKJMU
September 16th, 2008, 11:38 AM
So I have a question:

Who benefits more from a renewed contract of OOC rivals (rivals - only if JMU ever wins xmadx )?

A. The Fans

I am only slightly in favor of adding this game because our conferences are so tough and it's by such a narrow margin that a team can make the playoffs. With the autobids coming for the NEC and BigSouth in the future and the addition of teams in the Dakotas, it's only going to get tougher to make the playoffs. Both teams (JMU and App St) have become slightly comfortable with being able to get into the field. We'll see how all this affects the future.

Quite the contrary. With the auto bids from the Big South and NEC that means 2 more at large bids too, and a 20 team playoff field. It will actually be slightly less difficult to make the playoffs. Take away the Pioneer, Ivy, and SWAC, and you're looking at about 90+ schools teams vying for 20 spots vs the 16 now.

BDKJMU
September 16th, 2008, 11:43 AM
McV:

What BB material? All he had was high praise for ASU.

"I think it's against two top-five teams that have national championship aspirations."

What is there is BB material for ASU? The pulling out the welcome mat thing I don't thing qualifies- that was geared towards the fans. He gave BB material for the rest of the SO-Con, but JMU isn't playing anyone else in the So-Con, unless it happens in the playoffs.

BDKJMU
September 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM
McV:

You don't know the ultra conservative MM when it comes to play calling. Now which coach will be more conservative?

yosef1969
September 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM
McV:

Good game plan yes but the best? Where's the respect for Hatcher's gimmicky Jason Foster show? IMO GSU had the best game plan against ASU all year, Wofford's strategy wasn't too shabby either.

No offense to MM but those two games illustrated how to beat ASU in 2007 (RUN, RUN, RUN), of course still had to have the athletes to get it done.

BDKJMU
September 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Now that is some good news! I would love to play JMU every year, it is becoming a healthy rivalry (Alexale not withstanding xlolx )

Ditto. That needs to happen. Remember, they are starting the playoffs a week earlier for the 5th round once they go to 20 teams (next season or that 2010?) with the addition of the NEC & Big South autos plus 2 more at large. That means only 11 games. With JMU's & ASU's tough conference games plus a I-A, if JMU-ASU became an annual rivalry, then I'm sure each team will make their remaining OOC game against a cupcake. And if the playoffs don't end up starting a week earlier and there was still a 12 game season, then make that 2 cupcakes.

james_lawfirm
September 16th, 2008, 11:57 AM
You don't know the ultra conservative MM when it comes to play calling. Now which coach will be more conservative?

Son, Ultra conservative? You watchin' the same games I'm watchin'?

I guess you can make the case that if one goes too far around the circle of conservative/liberal-ness, then you end up a radical. However, Coach Matthews will be the one doing the surprising play-calling this Saturday. Only question is, who will be surprised?

Top Dawg
September 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM
... have to hear him bitch and moan about fumbling FG snap.

Long time reader, first time poster here.

I think it was worse than a fumbled FG snap, not even a blocked FG, but rather a fumble on a run up the middle on third down. I wish it were a fumbled FG snap so that JMU could have kneeled on it and tried again on fourth down!

james_lawfirm
September 16th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Good game plan yes but the best? Where's the respect for Hatcher's gimmicky Jason Foster show? IMO GSU had the best game plan against ASU all year, Wofford's strategy wasn't too shabby either.

No offense to MM but those two games illustrated how to beat ASU in 2007 (RUN, RUN, RUN), of course still had to have the athletes to get it done.

I was at all three of those games. In the GaSo & Wofford game, AE was not 100%. At GaSo, Foster was the MAN!! How hard is it to coach THAT? Their plan was just "give the dang ball to Foster." Further, didn't he play every position on both sides of the ball except punter? It sure seemed like it. He was everywhere.

Wofford also was well coached, and played a heck of a game, but I still contend that JMU's plan was the best. It was: keep the offense off the field & wear the D down by gaining 3.5 yds. per play. I'll bet they can't do that again.

Plus, this year, App's rushing defense is much improved.

Can we kick off already?

93henfan
September 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I thought Jerry Glanville was the Jerry Glanville of FCS?

Lol, that's right. Is he coaching in the Big Fluff now?

Cleets
September 16th, 2008, 02:00 PM
if you can think of another team outside of the soconn that has beaten appstate since 2004 i would like to hear it.

also *cough* woffordovermontana *cough*

OVERRATED?! sucka plz.

relax DLS,
I'm just poking fun...

There is not an FCS fan alive that could so much as prop up an argument that the SoCon isn't the clear dominant conference

mcveyrl
September 16th, 2008, 02:26 PM
McV:

Don't get me wrong, I love Mickey being Mickey. I also think he's a good coach and the players absolutely love him. The best quality a coach can have is players that will go through walls for him.

I'm expecting a great game, too.

This is why I will be rooting for App to win by 50 on Saturday, conference affiliations be damned.

Yea, yea, you hate JMU...we got it.:)

NYJMUSupporter
September 16th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Dont worry Richmond fans. You will get yours soon. I can't wait for our semi annual home game at UR stadium.

Eight Legger
September 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM
We can't wait to see Rodney Landers attempt 56 runs around the right end and 5 passes. Good luck with that. Also, your band is not invited to enter our stadium unless members wish to purchase tickets individually. I guess you like having a huge band to overcompensate for other things...your prerogative.

DLS
September 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
relax DLS,
I'm just poking fun...

There is not an FCS fan alive that could so much as prop up an argument that the SoCon isn't the clear dominant conference

ah, my slow mind didnt pick up on the sarcasm. i'll just put my 9 back in its holster now.

james_lawfirm
September 16th, 2008, 03:57 PM
ah, my slow mind didnt pick up on the sarcasm. i'll just put my 9 back in its holster now.

Aren't you the one who lost his schmekle because of that great debacle at Duke? And, now you have the slow mind too? Poor feller.

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2008, 04:54 PM
A tendency towards megalomania probably rubbed off on him when he was coaching at Marshall.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 16th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Three weeks into the season and dung is being flung. xsmhx xlolx

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 16th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Dont worry Richmond fans. You will get yours soon. I can't wait for our semi annual home game at UR stadium.

xcoffeex

Skjellyfetti
September 16th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Nothing Mickey said there was too bad. He seems to be watching his mouth to avoid the BB material.

But, I guarantee every App player has read or heard this quote:

“It’s the most anticipated game I guess in JMU history,” a smiling and confident Landers said. “We’re going to put on a show. … I feel that we have the best team in the country. I’m not going to sit here and lie and say I don’t feel that way. I think we have the best team in the country.”

Also, I would really like to see this happen:

And on future matchups:

KiddBrewer
September 16th, 2008, 05:15 PM
The first thing I couldnt help but think when i read the article.....if you ever heard Jerry Moore telling the Appalachian fans they need to "get hostile"..........the town might burn down.

eaglesrthe1
September 16th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Not saying anything about ASU not making the playoffs, but should JMU make it, then I hope that they are matched up against some other SoCon team. I would think that his words could be put to use as motivational material.

It's always done by the fans, occasionally by the players, but when a coach puts his foot in his mouth, it needs to come back home to roost.

Cleets
September 16th, 2008, 07:08 PM

No worries...
I'm trying to get down south this season and catch a game...

was at The Citadel Furman dog fight last year at Hagood (best football game I've seen in years)

T-Dog
September 16th, 2008, 07:13 PM
The first thing I couldnt help but think when i read the article.....if you ever heard Jerry Moore telling the Appalachian fans they need to "get hostile"..........the town might burn down.

However, the new stands, the new building, the turf and both goalpost would end up in the Duck Pond. xlolx

THEN the town will burn down.

JMUSaxMRD
September 16th, 2008, 07:44 PM
We can't wait to see Rodney Landers attempt 56 runs around the right end and 5 passes. Good luck with that. Also, your band is not invited to enter our stadium unless members wish to purchase tickets individually. I guess you like having a huge band to overcompensate for other things...your prerogative.

Don't worry, we don't need to be invited. Our athletics decided to buy tickets for the whole band. We'll be there in full force, however you're letting a high school band march halftime... oh well. They'll enjoy our sound from the stands :). The band is just as good as the football team. Also, if you think the band lets us beat Richmond, your team really needs some help.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 16th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Don't worry, we don't need to be invited. Our athletics decided to buy tickets for the whole band. We'll be there in full force, however you're letting a high school band march halftime... oh well. They'll enjoy our sound from the stands :). The band is just as good as the football team. Also, if you think the band lets us beat Richmond, your team really needs some help.

Uhhh, the band was probably there the last two times we played in Bridgeforth, right? xoopsx

Eight Legger
September 16th, 2008, 08:45 PM

Do you travel everywhere with your band? Do your players also bring their favorite teddy bears and blankies with them on the road too?

We have more important things to focus on than establishing a 600-person band to play in a 40,000-seat stadium for when we join the MAC and routinely lose to Akron in eight years.

jmu_duke07
September 16th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Do you travel everywhere with your band? Do your players also bring their favorite teddy bears and blankies with them on the road too?

We have more important things to focus on than establishing a 600-person band to play in a 40,000-seat stadium for when we join the MAC and routinely lose to Akron in eight years.

How dare you! JMU will never join the MAC!

JMU2004
September 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM
The most hilarious thing to me about the SoCon is how all of their fans think that teams NEED any extra motivation......If I hear another ASU fan say " I hope Jerry posts this in the locker room! "..... LOL!!!!!

GreatAppSt
September 16th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Three weeks into the season and dung is being flung. xsmhx xlolx
Flung Dung, yep must be football season!xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhypedx xhypedx xhypedx

ERASU2113
September 16th, 2008, 09:36 PM
The most hilarious thing to me about the SoCon is how all of their fans think that teams NEED any extra motivation......If I hear another ASU fan say " I hope Jerry posts this in the locker room! "..... LOL!!!!!

I do hope Jerry Moore put this in the locker room! :D :D xlolx xlolx

I just wish I could be there....but I'll be in Boone, drinking - heavily :D xcoolx

URMite
September 17th, 2008, 12:28 AM
How dare you! JMU will never join the MAC!

Well, Alrighty then....SunBelt it is!:D

IndianaAppMan
September 17th, 2008, 07:52 AM

As someone who goes to a MAC school, trust me: there's no need for a 40,000-seat stadium. After JMU's Phase I expansion, it'll be more than enough by MAC standards. The typcial stadium is about 29K or 30K. The smallest is 23,700. Almost none of them ever sell out. (This is just for the record. I could care less whether JMU decides to go 1A in the future or not.)

mcveyrl
September 17th, 2008, 08:02 AM
My opinion on the expansion:

1. I will honestly be surprised if Phase I starts as planned (it already got bumped back a year).

2. We don't even need to think about expansion if we can't keep half the student section there after halftime of a conference game between two top 10 teams.

SoCon48
September 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM

Mickey Mouth, the Mouth of the South!xthumbsupx

SoCon48
September 17th, 2008, 12:10 PM
So I have a question:

A. The Fans

I am only slightly in favor of adding this game because our conferences are so tough and it's by such a narrow margin that a team can make the playoffs.

Seems like you had 5 go last year!